Forums/Armchair-GM

Offseason

Created by: Mwasylko34
Team: 2020-21 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 24, 2020
Published: Sep. 24, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Seguin trade: Before i get heat on this it is just a random/fun idea. Seguin had under performed the past couple of seasons. Management has called him out and saying he needs to be better so at this point I do not think he is untouchable on Dallas's end. Might need to add more in the trade for him but let me know what you think. Him and Eichel together would be deadly.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,500,000
3$950,000
4$4,000,000
7$7,000,000
3$2,600,000
2$3,950,000
3$1,500,000
Trades
CAR
  1. Thompson, Tage [RFA Rights]
  2. 2020 5th round pick (BUF)
BUF
  1. Murray, Matt [RFA Rights]
  2. Simon, Dominik [RFA Rights]
BUF
  1. 2020 6th round pick (STL)
DAL
  1. Mittelstadt, Casey [RFA Rights]
  2. 2020 1st round pick (BUF)
  3. 2021 2nd round pick (BUF)
BUF
  1. 2020 1st round pick (VAN)
NJD
  1. Montour, Brandon [RFA Rights]
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the STL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$81,500,000$73,295,833$1,487,500$4,837,500$8,204,167

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 7
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
UFA - 6
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$9,850,000$9,850,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 7
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,625,000$1,625,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$845,000$845,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
RD
RFA - 1
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$3,875,000$3,875,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$864,166$864,166
RD
UFA - 1
$2,600,000$2,600,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,950,000$3,950,000
G
UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 24, 2020 at 8:12 a.m.
I'd say there's no way Pittsburgh does this, but Jim Rutherford is being so thorough in his efforts to destroy his legacy as GM that anything is possible.

Imagine a world where half of the Penguins blueline is Rasmus Ristolainen, Mike Matheson and Jack Johnson.grimace
Sep. 24, 2020 at 8:13 a.m.
Ya Dallas is probably looking to shake things up after this awful year
Mwasylko34, CMac66 and Shibbal18 liked this.
Sep. 24, 2020 at 8:39 a.m.
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
I'd say there's no way Pittsburgh does this, but Jim Rutherford is being so thorough in his efforts to destroy his legacy as GM that anything is possible.

Imagine a world where half of the Penguins blueline is Rasmus Ristolainen, Mike Matheson and Jack Johnson.grimace

Risto is not as bad as people make him out to be. He needs a new team. He hits, he plays hard, he consistently puts up 40+ points a year and can quarterback a powerplay unit. The analytics do not look good due to him being on terrible Buffalo teams for his whole career. I honestly believe that if he is on a new team and is playing 18-20 mins a night rather than 25 mins, fans and people will love him.
Shibbal18 and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Sep. 24, 2020 at 8:49 a.m.
I would have to say that every single team rejects those trades.
Sep. 24, 2020 at 8:51 a.m.
Quoting: Mwasylko34
Risto is not as bad as people make him out to be. He needs a new team. He hits, he plays hard, he consistently puts up 40+ points a year and can quarterback a powerplay unit. The analytics do not look good due to him being on terrible Buffalo teams for his whole career. I honestly believe that if he is on a new team and is playing 18-20 mins a night rather than 25 mins, fans and people will love him.

He might play hard, but he plays dumb. Half his career points are on the power play. He can't get the puck out of his own end, he can't play in front of his own net, he is slow to react and his hitting often takes him out of the play.

When you talk of him playing less minutes in a sheltered role, you are admitting that he doesn't have the value you think he has in the trade.

I think in some circles he has value, but when (hopefully when, not if) we move him, the return will likely be underwhelming.
Sep. 24, 2020 at 8:52 a.m.
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
I would have to say that every single team rejects those trades.

I disagree. As stated I think Dallas would be the one needing more i think the other trades are fair value for both sides.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Sep. 24, 2020 at 8:52 a.m.
Shibbal18
Currently Seguin is hurt in these playoffs, and he has underperformed by scoring 208 points in the last 233 games. Ristolainen is not bad, that being said, we need him on our top pair, Jokiharju is a couple years away from that role currently
Sep. 24, 2020 at 8:54 a.m.
I disagree. As stated I think Dallas would be the one needing more i think the other trades are fair value for both sides.

Why would Dallas trade their best player while they are coming off being in the Stanley Cup finals?
Sep. 24, 2020 at 8:56 a.m.
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
Why would Dallas trade their best player while they are coming off being in the Stanley Cup finals?

As i said its just a fun thought/ random idea. I dont think it will happen but it is an idea. i don' think he is off limits to being traded
Sep. 24, 2020 at 9:18 a.m.

The argument that his numbers are only bad because Buffalo is bad holds no weight for me because even relative to his own team his numbers are bad. Buffalo sucks, and he is an active contributor to making them bad.

He puts up points, but he doesn't generate any offense. His points are just a result of him being on the ice as much as he is, not a result of him being effective when he is on the ice.

The role Ristolainen would need to be actually effective would be like 15-16 minutes a night, with like 65% OZ starts and power play time. He needs to be so sheltered to be effective there's no way anyone would actually be willing to do it while he's on the contract he's on.
Sep. 24, 2020 at 11:28 a.m.
Great post, one of the best Sabre teams I have seen EVER.

The trades:
Thompson and Bean have about the same prospect rating https://dobberprospects.com/team/buffalo-sabres/ and you are adding.
IMO, Pittsburgh would be thrilled to get this much for Murray. GK rarely bring much. Look what Lehner returned twice this year, Martins Dzierkals and a fifth.
I am not sure if Hutton has any value now. If we got Murray, I think Ullmark would get more. Or you could send Hutton to Rochester and see if he clears waivers, then we have insurance.
TBH, we may need to add to the Seguin trade, but it is close. 8th over all, a still decent prospect taken 8th OA and a second, IMO 2020 would seal the deal.
IMO that is the value of Montour. I am sure you have seen me say this, but he had the best 5 on 5 SV%, and +/-; only Scandella had a better PDO; and only Ristolainen had a higher TOI than he.
It is not his fault that Krueger does not know how to use players.

The line up:
Seguin is a right handed center and won 58.2% of his face offs, move him to the second line and Staal to the third.
Take the right handed Cozens and move him to the top six RW. Playing the wing with Eichel, Olofsson, Seguin, Skinner will give him a chance to "ease" into the NHL.
These are just my suggestions, this is your post.
I love it, you built a contender my friend.

The future
I am going to steal some of your trades and add a trade with Vancouver to get Virtanen and Beagle.
I think they would do it for Miller or Montour.
Beagle won 59.1% of his face offs, he KP's and had only 14.1% OZ starts. The lowest in the NHL last year.
Mwasylko34 liked this.
Sep. 24, 2020 at 11:36 a.m.
Quoting: gretzkyghosts
Great post, one of the best Sabre teams I have seen EVER.

The trades:
Thompson and Bean have about the same prospect rating https://dobberprospects.com/team/buffalo-sabres/ and you are adding.
IMO, Pittsburgh would be thrilled to get this much for Murray. GK rarely bring much. Look what Lehner returned twice this year, Martins Dzierkals and a fifth.
I am not sure if Hutton has any value now. If we got Murray, I think Ullmark would get more. Or you could send Hutton to Rochester and see if he clears waivers, then we have insurance.
TBH, we may need to add to the Seguin trade, but it is close. 8th over all, a still decent prospect taken 8th OA and a second, IMO 2020 would seal the deal.
IMO that is the value of Montour. I am sure you have seen me say this, but he had the best 5 on 5 SV%, and +/-; only Scandella had a better PDO; and only Ristolainen had a higher TOI than he.
It is not his fault that Krueger does not know how to use players.

The line up:
Seguin is a right handed center and won 58.2% of his face offs, move him to the second line and Staal to the third.
Take the right handed Cozens and move him to the top six RW. Playing the wing with Eichel, Olofsson, Seguin, Skinner will give him a chance to "ease" into the NHL.
These are just my suggestions, this is your post.
I love it, you built a contender my friend.

The future
I am going to steal some of your trades and add a trade with Vancouver to get Virtanen and Beagle.
I think they would do it for Miller or Montour.
Beagle won 59.1% of his face offs, he KP's and had only 14.1% OZ starts. The lowest in the NHL last year.

After many tries thank you for appreciating my post. I am not into analytics and all that stuff but i have played hockey my whole life and base these trades on what i know about each player and how they play. I don't care about fancy stats and all that stuff but thank you for saying this i appreciate it and i like your opinions on the lineup.
Sep. 24, 2020 at 11:51 a.m.
Sabres are elite
Let me make some adjustments to each trade

Carolina- Tage Thompson and 2020 2nd for Bean and 2020 3rd

Pittsburgh- Montour for Simon and a 3rd

Ottawa- Hutton (50%) retained for a 2022 6th

Dallas- Ristolainen, Mittelstadt, 8th OA, 2021 2nd for Seguin and Dallas 2020 1st

NJD trade doesn't happen
Sep. 24, 2020 at 2:02 p.m.
After many tries thank you for appreciating my post. I am not into analytics and all that stuff but i have played hockey my whole life and base these trades on what i know about each player and how they play. I don't care about fancy stats and all that stuff but thank you for saying this i appreciate it and i like your opinions on the lineup.

Did you play for fun or at a competitive level?

OMW you actually form your opinion on what you see?
What is the matter with you, are you stupid?
Mike Harrington is suppose to do that for you!
How dare you disagree with Mr. Negative, Tim Murray was the best GM Buffalo ever had and I hate Botterill.

I can barely skate, but I have season tickets, attended the world cup the first time in Buffalo, go to Rochester Amerks when they are in town, love watching the "All American Challenge" when it was held here, go to the 3 on 3 competition, open practices and prospect challenge.
I try to watch as many Stanley cup games as my girlfriend will allow, LOL
Needless to say, I like watching, I only wish I could play.
I watch and form my opinions based on the eye test as you do, but use the analytics as evidence to corroborate what I see and in discussions on CapFriendly.
As I read many of the comments, I doubt people watch any Sabre games, much less other teams.

Upon reflection, I really like the Murray trade.
If you will recall Hutton started the season by setting a Sabre record for most saves to record a shut out.
Ullmark had one of the highest EVS% in the NHL last year. Plus the leagues best SV% on shots of 30 feet or more.
My point if Bales could resurrect Murray, that is huge win.
TBH, Pittsburgh may even add because Murray may have only a little more value than Hutton as he is a two time Stanley Cup winner.
His stats are dreadful a paltry 0.899 SV%.
That would be a huge win for Pittsburgh as well as they get a young Letang.
As an aside, Letang has five 40 pt seasons and Ristolainen has four.
I dread giving up Ristolainen as he gets better every year. Buffalo would look sick if the became another Victor Hedman.
Sep. 24, 2020 at 2:11 p.m.
Quoting: gretzkyghosts
Did you play for fun or at a competitive level?

OMW you actually form your opinion on what you see?
What is the matter with you, are you stupid?
Mike Harrington is suppose to do that for you!
How dare you disagree with Mr. Negative, Tim Murray was the best GM Buffalo ever had and I hate Botterill.

I can barely skate, but I have season tickets, attended the world cup the first time in Buffalo, go to Rochester Amerks when they are in town, love watching the "All American Challenge" when it was held here, go to the 3 on 3 competition, open practices and prospect challenge.
I try to watch as many Stanley cup games as my girlfriend will allow, LOL
Needless to say, I like watching, I only wish I could play.
I watch and form my opinions based on the eye test as you do, but use the analytics as evidence to corroborate what I see and in discussions on CapFriendly.
As I read many of the comments, I doubt people watch any Sabre games, much less other teams.

Upon reflection, I really like the Murray trade.
If you will recall Hutton started the season by setting a Sabre record for most saves to record a shut out.
Ullmark had one of the highest EVS% in the NHL last year. Plus the leagues best SV% on shots of 30 feet or more.
My point if Bales could resurrect Murray, that is huge win.
TBH, Pittsburgh may even add because Murray may have only a little more value than Hutton as he is a two time Stanley Cup winner.
His stats are dreadful a paltry 0.899 SV%.
That would be a huge win for Pittsburgh as well as they get a young Letang.
As an aside, Letang has five 40 pt seasons and Ristolainen has four.
I dread giving up Ristolainen as he gets better every year. Buffalo would look sick if the became another Victor Hedman.

Ive been playing since i was 5. Played Varsity in HS and Travel all my life. Stopped playing due to being college but play mens league and when I can. I go to a handful of Sabres games a year but have not missed watching a game in maybe 3 years. I agree that people do not watch Sabres games and just use stats as a way to say a player is bad but after watching for years and having an opinion on players, people still get mad on this site. It so easy to say Risto is bad etc but hes only 25, puts up 40+ points a year on really bad teams (who cares if its PP or not 40 points is 40 points), and people have expectations for him that he wont fill and that is why people say he is terrible. On fairly average/ good team, Risto easily can be a 60 point dman if playing the right role and right minutes

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll