Forums/Armchair-GM

No trades

Created by: Eli
Team: 2020-21 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 25, 2020
Published: Sep. 25, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
People are commenting like the Caps have salaries they'd like to get rid of. I can't imagine why. They won the division and everybody played pretty well.

Is it fun to discuss options, in case the team wants to make a big move? Sure. But here's the team they have, plus $5.5M in UFAs, with 1M in cap space left over.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,200,000
2$800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$2,500,000
6$3,000,000
2$750,000
2$750,000
2$700,000
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$70,256,545$419,749$600,000$11,243,455
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$9,538,462$9,538,462
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$5,166,667$5,166,667
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$3,350,000$3,350,000
LW
UFA - 1
$9,200,000$9,200,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW
UFA - 3
$2,415,000$2,415,000
C
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$800,000$800,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,375,000$1,375,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 4
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
G
UFA - 1
$1,275,000$1,275,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$716,667$716,667
G
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 25, 2020 at 12:44 p.m.
twentyeighteen
I would not commit to B Dizzy and Namest for 6 years. The rest are some nice bargain prices for sure.
AndrewLadd and Eli liked this.
Sep. 25, 2020 at 1:13 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: markykins1
I would not commit to B Dizzy and Namest for 6 years. The rest are some nice bargain prices for sure.

Those might not stay great deals forever, sure, but Dillon plays well with Carlson, and I'm optimistic that Namestnikov might find good linemates in WSH.
Sep. 25, 2020 at 1:47 p.m.
Typical Caps Fan
I'm guessing you think the only major problem with the Caps was the coaching with this lineup? Losing Holtby might be a net positive, Sammy/Vanacek do better overall I suspect.
Sep. 25, 2020 at 1:59 p.m.
twentyeighteen
Quoting: Eli
Those might not stay great deals forever, sure, but Dillon plays well with Carlson, and I'm optimistic that Namestnikov might find good linemates in WSH.

I don't know. I'm kinda meh on Dillion now, won't cry if he signs somewhere else to be honest. Plus, he might not fit what the new coach wants so I won't mind if they look elsewhere. I like Namestnikov as a 3rd, sometimes 2nd liner. He could go to the left wing which could bump Hags to the 4th line where he belongs.
Sep. 25, 2020 at 2:30 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: Kylonetic8
I'm guessing you think the only major problem with the Caps was the coaching with this lineup? Losing Holtby might be a net positive, Sammy/Vanacek do better overall I suspect.

Kind of. Every team has a lot of things it could improve.

The team won the division last year with basically the above lineup, plus a week or two of Kovalchuk.

Are Samsonov and Vanecek as good as Holtby by save percentage behind similar defenses? Probably. Samsonov's stats looked better than Holtby's last year with both on WSH. The year before, Vanecek's stats looked better than Samsonov's with both in Hershey. But the NHL season is long and opponents are rough on goalies. Holtby has the endurance to lead a team through a season and the playoffs. Samsonov might not, yet.

I created a player for a $1M post-buyout Marc-Andre Fleury, above, as a backup option if Holtby gets a big UFA offer, but then I deleted it because it was beside the point.

I don't know. I'm kinda meh on Dillion now, won't cry if he signs somewhere else to be honest. Plus, he might not fit what the new coach wants so I won't mind if they look elsewhere. I like Namestnikov as a 3rd, sometimes 2nd liner. He could go to the left wing which could bump Hags to the 4th line where he belongs.

Dillon played some tough minutes in WSH and got some great corsi, but not much personal offense. He's a big guy who stays in position and plays the body, not the puck. That's the classic type of guy you pair with a puck carrier like Carlson. On the other hand, Carlson didn't get many points playing with Dillon, and didn't win a playoff series. So maybe Carlson and Kempny play pretty well together, just based on points and series wins, even if nothing about Kempny's pre-Carlson stats or style said "top pairing D?"

I'd love to see Namestnikov center Ovechkin and Kuznetsov, so Kuznetsov doesn't have to backcheck as much, and has more energy in his legs to create rushes. That's the way the above contract turns out very good. Otherwise, it turns out to be just slightly a bad deal for the team, but for a very long time. The only things Namestnikov brings that Hagelin doesn't are right-handed faceoffs and speaking Russian.
markykins1 liked this.
Sep. 25, 2020 at 3:05 p.m.

Tarik's article in the Athletic yesterday made it seem like getting Dillon signed was the top priority right now, so I'd assume they've talked with Lavi and he's on board with it.
Eli liked this.
Sep. 25, 2020 at 3:18 p.m.
Dillon played some tough minutes in WSH and got some great corsi, but not much personal offense. He's a big guy who stays in position and plays the body, not the puck. That's the classic type of guy you pair with a puck carrier like Carlson. On the other hand, Carlson didn't get many points playing with Dillon, and didn't win a playoff series. So maybe Carlson and Kempny play pretty well together, just based on points and series wins, even if nothing about Kempny's pre-Carlson stats or style said "top pairing D?"

In the regular season when they were paired together, I think they just had really bad puck luck. They had a 0.946 PDO together, which is by far the lowest Carlson had with anyone he played at least 100 minutes with. That suggests the lack of offense from Carlson is just an artifact of the small sample size. In the playoffs, Carlson got hurt right away and I don't think he was ever 100% after that, so it's pretty hard to grade the pairing for that stretch. The early results were promising enough that I want to see more of Dillon and Carlson together, personally.
markykins1 liked this.
Sep. 25, 2020 at 4:29 p.m.
twentyeighteen
Quoting: Kalopsia
In the regular season when they were paired together, I think they just had really bad puck luck. They had a 0.946 PDO together, which is by far the lowest Carlson had with anyone he played at least 100 minutes with. That suggests the lack of offense from Carlson is just an artifact of the small sample size. In the playoffs, Carlson got hurt right away and I don't think he was ever 100% after that, so it's pretty hard to grade the pairing for that stretch. The early results were promising enough that I want to see more of Dillon and Carlson together, personally.

You guys are right about the sample size. If they sign him fine. I won't hate it. I like his size and the fact that he punched Malkin in the face several times. wink
Kylonetic8 and Kalopsia liked this.
Sep. 25, 2020 at 4:31 p.m.
twentyeighteen
Kind of. Every team has a lot of things it could improve.

The team won the division last year with basically the above lineup, plus a week or two of Kovalchuk.

Are Samsonov and Vanecek as good as Holtby by save percentage behind similar defenses? Probably. Samsonov's stats looked better than Holtby's last year with both on WSH. The year before, Vanecek's stats looked better than Samsonov's with both in Hershey. But the NHL season is long and opponents are rough on goalies. Holtby has the endurance to lead a team through a season and the playoffs. Samsonov might not, yet.

I created a player for a $1M post-buyout Marc-Andre Fleury, above, as a backup option if Holtby gets a big UFA offer, but then I deleted it because it was beside the point.

I'd love to see Namestnikov center Ovechkin and Kuznetsov, so Kuznetsov doesn't have to backcheck as much, and has more energy in his legs to create rushes. That's the way the above contract turns out very good. Otherwise, it turns out to be just slightly a bad deal for the team, but for a very long time. The only things Namestnikov brings that Hagelin doesn't are right-handed faceoffs and speaking Russian.

I'm scared of seeing Kuz on the wing. I don't think he can handle getting creamed to the boards as many times as wingers do. He's gotten his hand and shoulder hurt a few times I've seen him driven into the boards over the years, don't think he's durable enough but what do i know?
Eli liked this.
Sep. 25, 2020 at 4:38 p.m.
Who adds what?
I'm scared of seeing Kuz on the wing. I don't think he can handle getting creamed to the boards as many times as wingers do. He's gotten his hand and shoulder hurt a few times I've seen him driven into the boards over the years, don't think he's durable enough but what do i know?

Good point. But I'm just as scared when I see Kuznetsov heading into the faceoff dot to give the puck away. smile There's probably a compromise, like having them each take strong side draws, having Kuznetsov play center ahead of the red line, so he's not banging around in the corners, and having any right handed center, even if it's just Boyd, play RW in the offensive zone, banging in the corners, and center in the defensive zone, banging in front of his own net. Detroit used to have guys cover the corners for Lidstrom so he could focus on carrying the puck, and not get hurt. Kuznetsov is worth the same special treatment, but that's no reason for him to start 55% of shifts without the puck.
markykins1 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll