SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Montreal Canadiens signed Jeff Petry (4 Years / $6,250,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Sep. 25, 2020 at 6:44 p.m.
Quoting: mhockey91
I mean hes a very good prospect. and I said in terms of value. not saying it would happen because of being divisional rivals. and yeah, no one wants price/ weber cause of their contracts, but they could still do a better job at tanking even with them

I wouldn't even say Liljegren is a good prospect. He's shown little signs of improvement since becoming a pro and isn't looking promising
Sep. 25, 2020 at 6:45 p.m.
Quoting: HabsForEver
Habs and the Wild are two completely different situations. Minnesota is a bunch of old aging Veterans signed for terribe contracts and no prospect core. Montreal has a mix of veterans on long term contracts and an influx of young nhl players as well as one of the best prospect cores in the league and 3 2nds this year.

Not comparable

in terms of how they've been historically... they're a carbon copy. both mediocre teams who have made a few runs but never been real contenders. both teams are miles away from being a contender, yet not bad enough to get any top picks.

I also wouldn't say the habs have "one of the best prospect pools". there are several teams with better
Sep. 25, 2020 at 6:45 p.m.
I wouldn't even say Liljegren is a good prospect. He's shown little signs of improvement since becoming a pro and isn't looking promising

30 points in 40 AHL games is very solid. he projects to be a top 4 D.
Sep. 25, 2020 at 6:48 p.m.
30 points in 40 AHL games is very solid. he projects to be a top 4 D.

He's 21 now and looked terrible in the NHL this year. I wouldn't call him a great prospect.
Sep. 25, 2020 at 6:51 p.m.
He's 21 now and looked terrible in the NHL this year. I wouldn't call him a great prospect.

pulled from sportsnet:

"I’m very fond of Timothy Liljegren, both as a person and as a hockey player. I really felt his game took a tremendous step this season. He obviously has good puck skills, he transports the puck very well, he skates very well, he has a good shot… but the greatest impact was how he processed the game. How he thought it. His decision-making."
Sep. 25, 2020 at 6:52 p.m.
pulled from sportsnet:

"I’m very fond of Timothy Liljegren, both as a person and as a hockey player. I really felt his game took a tremendous step this season. He obviously has good puck skills, he transports the puck very well, he skates very well, he has a good shot… but the greatest impact was how he processed the game. How he thought it. His decision-making."

They said that when he was 18. Let me see him on the ice. At least you know he will improve in the NHL because he can't play much worse than he did.
Sep. 25, 2020 at 6:55 p.m.
They said that when he was 18. Let me see him on the ice. At least you know he will improve in the NHL because he can't play much worse than he did.

that was from 2020... get your facts right
Sep. 25, 2020 at 6:56 p.m.

No I mean when he was 18 they were saying the same thing
Sep. 25, 2020 at 7:06 p.m.
25th coming up
Quoting: mondo
already said 1967 my dude. could've responded with "4-1" or "zamboni driver" to keep things fresh

Nah, you'll do it for me
Sep. 25, 2020 at 7:11 p.m.
I really think Petry with age won't slow down that much, his skating is smooth and looks effortless. Maybe less minute but to me its a good AAV he 100% could've got better next year on the ufa market.
Sep. 25, 2020 at 7:17 p.m.
thats exactly my point!!! habs shouldn't be trying to "compete now". they should be trying to tank and land a legit superstar through the draft. the habs have been treading water for decades and they have nothing to show for it. they should've committed to a rebuild years ago. Habs = Minnesota wild

Oh man dont get me started.... But we're not in charge so gotta go with what current management is going for and thats to try and win now.
habs_fan123 liked this.
Sep. 25, 2020 at 7:20 p.m.
PLZ FIRE BERGEVIN
Quoting: SevenLeg
Fair AAV, too much term. I would have preferred 3 years as he'll be 34 when it kicks in

tbh I would have only wanted to give him 1 at most 2 years
Sep. 25, 2020 at 7:22 p.m.
Evans truther
Alright I feel like CF is turning into a Fantasy Football league. Either you're a rookie or a hall of famer, anything in between shouldn't sign a contract longer than 2 years according to the average Joe here so guys help me out there ( @Kotkaniemi15 , @jpsnow13 , @F50marco , @HabsForEver ).

Cap for the next four years: The only big raises coming up are Suzuki and most likely KK's in line for a bridge deal because of his meh sophomore year. Romanov hasn't played a game yet so I don't understand why people think he'll be payed 6 millions when his ELC's up. Rookie with ELCs should start making the team and by doing so they'll push higher salaries out of the line up.
Let's agree that the followings should hit the ice throughout the next four years: Ylonen, Caufield, Norlinder, Struble, Primeau and Harris.
They shall -hypothetically- replace the followings: Armia, Lehkonen, Chiarot (Wouldn't surprise me that he's taken by Seattle at this point), Kulak, Allen and Mete.
That would be savings of around 10 million dollars depending on ELC prices and on how much Mete signs for, not even considering the cap raise and stuff like Alzner being off the books. Am I missing the issue there?

Regression: Has Petry shown any signs of regression? End of the topic.

Age/Term: Please refer to the previous subject. As long as regression isn't shown, those are completely irrelevant. People are mainly spittballin their prophecy more than anything else with solid element of discussion.

That's pretty much the analysis. Bergevin seems to be a step ahead of everything this offseason, GMs were reportedly surprised about the Allen trade and some thought there might be draft day trade talks for him. I'm feeling this year Marc wants to set the market instead of following it and coming out short, agents of other UFA defenders will obviously take looks at those two contracts (Petry and Ed) for their clients (Krug, Barrie, Vatanen, Brodie and Shattenkirk). It might f*ck some team plans up and we may look at our two deals two months from now and see them differently.
To be continued.
Kotkaniemi15, gm_jeanguy, HabsForEver and 1 other person liked this.
Sep. 25, 2020 at 8:04 p.m.
habs_fan
Quoting: jpsnow13
Partypoopers will call him old when he is a on a 3 years - 40pts streak.

Until he looses all his speed, and his skate is as good as it gets, that AAV is a cheap deal.

A 750,000$ raise, come on guys🙄

its more the term i think
Sep. 25, 2020 at 8:06 p.m.
retired
that's a year too long. for that price they should have been able to do a 3 year contract.
Sep. 25, 2020 at 8:30 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Quoting: ColonelX
Alright I feel like CF is turning into a Fantasy Football league. Either you're a rookie or a hall of famer, anything in between shouldn't sign a contract longer than 2 years

Cap for the next four years: The only big raises coming up are Suzuki and most likely KK's in line for a bridge deal because of his meh sophomore year. Romanov hasn't played a game yet so I don't understand why people think he'll be payed 6 millions when his ELC's up. Rookie with ELCs should start making the team and by doing so they'll push higher salaries out of the line up.

Am I missing the issue there?.

LOL

Yeah, one year to many (at a lower caphit than the market) to lock the place of a faithfull soldier long term is nothing to rip your shirt over.

It's not like if we had RHD prospects or chances to sign a better UFA.

As for the RFA ghost, it's almost as if someone in the club was paid to manage that stuff, because it all line up pretty good🤓. Also, Habs can easily build a war chest (in case Suzuki blows the roof off or free agent opportunity) by just not resigning an UFA next year (I think Tatar isn't in the plans). The problem is that people dont know their comparables and give $6M AAV to KK when he has 40+ NHL points in total and no arbitration rights...
HabsForEver and ColonelX liked this.
Sep. 25, 2020 at 8:52 p.m.
LOL

Yeah, one year to many (at a lower caphit than the market) to lock the place of a faithfull soldier long term is nothing to rip your shirt over.

It's not like if we had RHD prospects or chances to sign a better UFA.

As for the RFA ghost, it's almost as if someone in the club was paid to manage that stuff, because it all line up pretty good🤓. Also, Habs can easily build a war chest (in case Suzuki blows the roof off or free agent opportunity) by just not resigning an UFA next year (I think Tatar isn't in the plans). The problem is that people dont know their comparables and give $6M AAV to KK when he has 40+ NHL points in total and no arbitration rights...

Only way Kotkaniemi gets 6 Million if it's for 8 years and we are taking a risk
Sep. 25, 2020 at 9:13 p.m.
habs_fan

Id jump on that so quickly
Sep. 25, 2020 at 9:20 p.m.

First of all, it would be stupid to do that unless he truly breaks out (not even sure if there Will be a season at this point). Second, the point of taking a risk with Kotkaniemi is just not valid since yes, he did play well in the playoffs but he still has some work to do if he wants to earn that big boy contract. He needs to prove he can be a CONSISTENT point scorer in the NHL, and inconsistent was the best way to describe his 2019-20 NHL season. The best bet for him would be to give him a bridge deal.

As for Petry, it is a good deal from a value perspective. He is the true definition of a late bloomer, and he is a commodity that most teams would LOVE to have, which is a point producing defensman who is a great skater, uninjured in the past couple of years and tall on top of that. He also improved his defensive game a lot during the playoffs and throws the body around. There is some risk of regression, however, he was very consistent in the past three years and brings an edge to Montreal's offensive game that isn't there with other defensmen in the team. He isn't easily replaceable.
Next step: Brendan Gallagher. He won't come cheap, but he is a unique player. As for Danault and Tatar, I don't know where they will be next year.
HabsForEver liked this.
Sep. 25, 2020 at 10:14 p.m.
Evans truther

Oh Chayka would be all over that proposition!
Sep. 25, 2020 at 10:27 p.m.
I'm super exited to watch:

37 year old Petry
40 year old Weber

Protect the house for:

38 year old Price

For only $25,000,000.
Sep. 25, 2020 at 10:30 p.m.
LOL

"Lower than market"

LMAO.

So what does the flat-cap marketplace look like for 34 year old defensemen?
Sep. 25, 2020 at 10:32 p.m.
Quoting: drewjenkins
"Lower than market"

LMAO.

So what does the flat-cap marketplace look like for 34 year old defensemen?

For a #1/#2 defensmen? Guess we will see what Pietrangelo gets.

I was expecting him to easily clear 7 Million at a longer term.
Sep. 25, 2020 at 10:33 p.m.
Quoting: drewjenkins
I'm super exited to watch:

37 year old Petry
40 year old Weber

Protect the house for:

38 year old Price

For only $25,000,000.

Age is just a number
Sep. 25, 2020 at 10:45 p.m.
For a #1/#2 defensmen? Guess we will see what Pietrangelo gets.

I was expecting him to easily clear 7 Million at a longer term.

1) Pietrangelo will be 30 when his contracts starts while Petry will be 34.
2) Pietrangelo will be 34 when the 5th year of his contract stars.
3) Pietrangelo is way way better and more valuable than Petry.

Sorry bud.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit