Created By: CallingOutHomers
Published: Sep. 25, 2020 at 4:16 p.m.
Sep. 25, 2020 at 4:39 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
If he wants Askarov he’ll trade down
Sep. 25, 2020 at 4:40 p.m.
Quoting: HabsFan9
If he wants Askarov he’ll trade down

I've proposed that in ACGM's and the detroit mob lost their f-in minds.

so, no more trading down then LOL
Sep. 25, 2020 at 4:42 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
Quoting: KMMHL2012
I've proposed that in ACGM's and the detroit mob lost their f-in minds.

so, no more trading down then LOL

the Detroit mob can kiss my @$$, trading down is the right thing to do. Yzerman isn’t dumb
Sep. 25, 2020 at 6:25 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Pierre McGuire would go nuts.
Sep. 25, 2020 at 7:02 p.m.
the Detroit mob can kiss my @$$, trading down is the right thing to do. Yzerman isn’t dumb

I had them trading down to Winnipeg which gives them a shot at Drysdale in exchange for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
Remus liked this.
Sep. 25, 2020 at 7:54 p.m.
BergDaMan

Why didn’t he trade down last year when he drafted Moritz Seider?
Sep. 25, 2020 at 7:56 p.m.
BergDaMan

There’s no guarantee when you trade down that they player will be there
Sep. 25, 2020 at 8:58 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
Quoting: Bigshame
There’s no guarantee when you trade down that they player will be there

you’re right. But we’re talking about a goalie, so you’re wrong at the same time. You can use common sense to find out if a team needs a goalie or not.
Sep. 25, 2020 at 9:00 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
Why didn’t he trade down last year when he drafted Moritz Seider?

Because he was so sure that Seider was the right pick their and that he would be gone soon after. Among GMs, it wasn’t that surprising of a pick
Sep. 25, 2020 at 9:13 p.m.
BergDaMan
Because he was so sure that Seider was the right pick their and that he would be gone soon after. Among GMs, it wasn’t that surprising of a pick

Ok I get it. But goalies take longer to develop and the last time a goalie was drafted in the top 5 was Carey price. Do you think the Habs needed a goalie at that time just after Theodore won the Vezina? Teams that “don’t need a goalie” can easily surprise and pick Askarov. I could see Ottawa or buffalo being one of those teams. I’m not arguing to say he’s right but he could be. And I wasn’t saying Yzerman was wrong to take seider. You want a player you take him. There’s only 1 elite goalie. Almost every team picking in the top 20 will have thought about it at some point
Remus liked this.
Sep. 25, 2020 at 10:04 p.m.
Ok I get it. But goalies take longer to develop and the last time a goalie was drafted in the top 5 was Carey price. Do you think the Habs needed a goalie at that time just after Theodore won the Vezina? Teams that “don’t need a goalie” can easily surprise and pick Askarov. I could see Ottawa or buffalo being one of those teams. I’m not arguing to say he’s right but he could be. And I wasn’t saying Yzerman was wrong to take seider. You want a player you take him. There’s only 1 elite goalie. Almost every team picking in the top 20 will have thought about it at some point

I did agree with trading down originally, because I think the depth up front, and 2 big picks at D (Drysdale and Sanderson) are more likely to be sure roster players that benefit their current build.

Ie.

Buffalo needs someone who can play with Eichel before he gets angry and demands to leave. (Perfetti)
Minnesota wouldn't pass on Holtz (or any forward) if he dropped, plus they have Kahkonen and Jones in their system as goalies.

I agree, Yzerman made a smart choice, because Seider was a beast in the WC as an 18 year old playing against men, so I think other teams might have pushed him up earlier, but he was ranked 24th OA and would've probably went early teens as a big physical, skating scoring RHD.

Now, there is still Nico Daws and Joel Blomqvist that would be available later.

I just think, exactly that Goalies take time to develop, draft the best one possible, tank for 2-3 more years to clear off the Abdelkader, Nielsen, Helm, bad contracts, then bring in a 21 year supposed phenom to backstop your young stud team.

we'll see.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll