Forums/Armchair-GM

Different Marner deal

Created by: TheOtherAuston
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 25, 2020
Published: Sep. 25, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I don't really have a great feel for what Orlov is worth, and I'm sure Washington is high on vrana but I think Marner would be the guy to get OVI past Gretzky. Be constructive not a crybaby
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$2,000,000
2$1,150,000
5$3,750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,825,000
Offer Sheets
Offer sheet annual average (AAV) is calculated by dividing the contract value by the lower of: 1. The contract length, or 2. Five years
PLAYERAAVCOMPENSATION
Hawryluk, Jayce$1,150,000No Compensation
Trades
TOR
WSH
  1. Holl, Justin ($750,000 retained)
  2. Marner, Mitchell
  3. 2020 2nd round pick (TOR)
NSH
  1. Johnsson, Andreas
  2. 2020 5th round pick (VGK)
TOR
  1. Cernak, Erik [RFA Rights]
  2. 2021 5th round pick (TBL)
TBL
  1. Liljegren, Timothy
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Dermott, agrees to a 1 year QO
TOR
    To be the #1 center for the team in the movie goon
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the VGK
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$81,500,000$76,027,617$0$82,500$5,472,383

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Washington Capitals
    $3,350,000$3,350,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $11,640,250$11,640,250
    C
    UFA - 4
    $6,962,366$6,962,366
    RW
    UFA - 4
    $821,667$821,667
    LW, RW
    RFA - 4
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, C, RW
    UFA - 3
    $925,000$925,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,150,000$1,150,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Nashville Predators
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RW, C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000
    RW
    RFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $1,275,000$1,275,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $5,625,000$5,625,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $1,650,000$1,650,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $2,825,000$2,825,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 3
    $925,000$925,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $894,167$894,167
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $766,667$766,667
    C
    RFA - 3
    $842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    RW
    RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Sep. 25, 2020 at 6:28 p.m.
    Mangiapane Goat
    Leaf fans are nuts. Top 5 wingers dont grow on trees you know.
    Misterrainer liked this.
    Sep. 25, 2020 at 6:32 p.m.
    Quoting: TheBetterTkachuk
    Leaf fans are nuts. Top 5 wingers dont grow on trees you know.

I'm not simple, I understand that I would rather have a well distributed team instead of three guys making north of 10 and having minimal defense and depth
    Eli and OlegP liked this.
    Sep. 25, 2020 at 6:58 p.m.
    Banned
    🤦🏻‍♂️

This ain't it. Marner stays.
    Sep. 25, 2020 at 7:00 p.m.
    Quoting: Ryminister_27
    🤦🏻‍♂️

This ain't it. Marner stays.

Offer a solution, not a pointless opinion.
    OlegP liked this.
    Sep. 25, 2020 at 7:25 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: TheOtherAuston
    Offer a solution, not a pointless opinion.

I take it you can't read then. I offered the solution. Read first. Then comeback with your pointless comment.
    Sep. 25, 2020 at 7:28 p.m.
    my requirement for Marner trade:

- top 4 RD
    - replacement top 6 winger
    - mid first / higher end prospect
    - 2nd / mid tier prospect

That gets the convo going for me. Otherwise I'd prefer to keep Marner
    Misterrainer liked this.
    Sep. 25, 2020 at 7:28 p.m.
    I take it you can't read then. I offered the solution. Read first. Then comeback with your pointless comment.

Tell you what you want a perennial first round exit team you go ahead and keep him Mr.Dubas
    Eli liked this.
    Sep. 25, 2020 at 7:31 p.m.
    Quoting: leafs101

- top 4 RD

I mean that's pretty close to what I was trying to do here I only held back cause like I said I'm not certain on orlovs value and thought vrana is a great replacement for the cost maybe drop the pick to Washington and upgrade the third to a second and add another prospect
    Sep. 25, 2020 at 7:32 p.m.
    In Pridham we trust
    Considering that contract as offer sheet would cost the Leafs a 2nd, Dermott and Liljegren on top of a 2nd is an overpay.
    Sep. 25, 2020 at 7:32 p.m.

- top 4 RD

And add another first round pick on there
    Sep. 25, 2020 at 7:36 p.m.
    Caps fan idk why
    Washington has no reason to make this trade. We give up a top pairing LHD and a top 6 LW for Marner and we lose what 5 million in cap? Lmfao why do we do this? Marner is great but his cap hit sucks. Vrana is really solid so is Orlov. This makes us worse.
    Eli and OlegP liked this.
    Sep. 25, 2020 at 7:37 p.m.
    Caps fan idk why
    Quoting: OB16

Good luck. Lol
    Eli liked this.
    Sep. 25, 2020 at 7:38 p.m.
    Quoting: OB16

No that's definitely to far
    Sep. 25, 2020 at 7:40 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    "I don't really have a great feel for what Orlov is worth, and I'm sure Washington is high on vrana but I think Marner would be the guy to get OVI past Gretzky. Be constructive not a crybaby"

Orlov is really, really consistent. Over the last five years, among left-shot defensemen, he's tied with Yandle for 7th in even strength points, just one ahead of Krug and two ahead of Muzzin: http://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20152016&seasonTo=20192020&gameType=2&position=D&shootsCatches=L&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=evPoints&page=0&pageSize=100

On a lot of teams, Orlov could be the power play point guy, and have some 60 point seasons, but in WSH he's more likely to kill penalties and play a shutdown role. So his value is basically Muzzin, a little pricier, but 2.5 years younger. Same skill, but same role makes both almost anonymous, but still very valuable.

This year, among left wings, Vrana tied Gaudreau for 10th in even strength points, with 40: http://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20192020&seasonTo=20192020&gameType=2&position=L&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=evPoints&page=0&pageSize=100

Among right wings, Marner was 8th this year, with 42: http://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20192020&seasonTo=20192020&gameType=2&position=R&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=evPoints&page=0&pageSize=100

Not that different. Both played with good centers. Both did well.

The biggest difference between Vrana's and Marner's trade value to a team with room on its top power play unit for either of them would be Marner's power play points output. To Washington, the biggest difference is cap hit. For the price of Marner, WSH has Vrana plus TJ Oshie, who was on pace for 31g 58p this year.

So my idea of a counteroffer would be something more like Marner and Mikheyev for Vrana and Oshie. Each team gives up one good contract and one bad one. WSH gets a little younger, while Tor adds two leaders with a recent championship. Tor gives up guys who totaled 90 points this year, and gets back guys who totaled 101 points this year.

Basically, each team gets to say it got rid of its worst contract, without a significant drop in talent.
    Sep. 25, 2020 at 7:40 p.m.
    Quoting: Capitalfail67
    Washington has no reason to make this trade. We give up a top pairing LHD and a top 6 LW for Marner and we lose what 5 million in cap? Lmfao why do we do this? Marner is great but his cap hit sucks. Vrana is really solid so is Orlov. This makes us worse.

I didn't know he played the left for the caps I just saw his official position and looked at his numbers if he is one of your top left sides than you are right it doesn't work.
    Eli and Capitalfail67 liked this.
    Sep. 25, 2020 at 7:45 p.m.
    I mean that's pretty close to what I was trying to do here I only held back cause like I said I'm not certain on orlovs value and thought vrana is a great replacement for the cost maybe drop the pick to Washington and upgrade the third to a second and add another prospect

I think Orlov is maybe a bit less than I would hope on the D side just because we have too many left shots as it is, and Vrana maybe a bit more than I could ask for as a replacement. For me, it'd be:

Orlov
    Vrana
    1st
    C level prospect

for Marner +3rd, and throw in a guy like Holl or Johnsson if you'd like

Not saying WSH should or shouldn't do it, not saying I would or wouldn't take this, just saying what it'd take for me to even consider and to get talks going on a deal of this nature

If I'm underestimating Orlov, maybe go:

Vrana
    Orlov
    First
    C prospect

for Marner, 2nd, other piece like Kerfy/Johnsson/Holl/Engvall, or even 2 of those guys if you want
    Sep. 25, 2020 at 7:46 p.m.
    Quoting: Eli
    "I don't really have a great feel for what Orlov is worth, and I'm sure Washington is high on vrana but I think Marner would be the guy to get OVI past Gretzky. Be constructive not a crybaby"

Orlov is really, really consistent. Over the last five years, among left-shot defensemen, he's tied with Yandle for 7th in even strength points, just one ahead of Krug and two ahead of Muzzin: http://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20152016&seasonTo=20192020&gameType=2&position=D&shootsCatches=L&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=evPoints&page=0&pageSize=100

On a lot of teams, Orlov could be the power play point guy, and have some 60 point seasons, but in WSH he's more likely to kill penalties and play a shutdown role. So his value is basically Muzzin, a little pricier, but 2.5 years younger. Same skill, but same role makes both almost anonymous, but still very valuable.

This year, among left wings, Vrana tied Gaudreau for 10th in even strength points, with 40: http://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20192020&seasonTo=20192020&gameType=2&position=L&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=evPoints&page=0&pageSize=100

Among right wings, Marner was 8th this year, with 42: http://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20192020&seasonTo=20192020&gameType=2&position=R&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=evPoints&page=0&pageSize=100

Not that different. Both played with good centers. Both did well.

The biggest difference between Vrana's and Marner's trade value to a team with room on its top power play unit for either of them would be Marner's power play points output. To Washington, the biggest difference is cap hit. For the price of Marner, WSH has Vrana plus TJ Oshie, who was on pace for 31g 58p this year.

So my idea of a counteroffer would be something more like Marner and Mikheyev for Vrana and Oshie. Each team gives up one good contract and one bad one. WSH gets a little younger, while Tor adds two leaders with a recent championship. Tor gives up guys who totaled 90 points this year, and gets back guys who totaled 101 points this year.

Basically, each team gets to say it got rid of its worst contract, without a significant drop in talent.

Great response thanks for the info on Orlov. But if there isn't a RHD coming back it just doesn't fit for Toronto. Also Oshie is expected to be taken in expansion so it really doesn't affect Washington to much to trade him. I don't think Marners contract is as bad as oshies, it may be longer but Oshie is much older.
    Sep. 25, 2020 at 7:50 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    I think Orlov is maybe a bit less than I would hope on the D side just because we have too many left shots as it is, and Vrana maybe a bit more than I could ask for as a replacement. For me, it'd be:

Orlov
    Vrana
    1st
    C level prospect

for Marner +3rd, and throw in a guy like Holl or Johnsson if you'd like

Not saying WSH should or shouldn't do it, not saying I would or wouldn't take this, just saying what it'd take for me to even consider and to get talks going on a deal of this nature

Your cab is on its way. Do you want me to hold onto your car keys?
    Sep. 25, 2020 at 8:12 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    Great response thanks for the info on Orlov. But if there isn't a RHD coming back it just doesn't fit for Toronto. Also Oshie is expected to be taken in expansion so it really doesn't affect Washington to much to trade him. I don't think Marners contract is as bad as oshies, it may be longer but Oshie is much older.

Thank you so much!

The Caps' entire RHD depth chart (excluding minor league UFAs) is: John Carlson, Nick Jensen. They probably prefer not to just throw one in. Carlson is definitely not a throw-in. Tor bid the trade price on Jensen up to where Washington traded their top RHD prospect and a 2nd for him. You probably don't think he's worth Liljegren, but maybe Duszak?

Oshie's from Washington state, but with his contract, getting Seattle to commit to taking him probably costs the Caps about a 2nd. Oshie is one of the best in the league at playing net-front for screens, tips and rebounds, especially on the power play. The Caps' shooting percentage goes up when he is on the ice. But the Caps would want Seattle to take him because they can just move Tom Wilson up to that role, and be just as good at power plays. They have Hathaway to audition for Wilson's role on PP2. Toronto might prefer to keep Oshie, and keep getting 30 tap-in goals a year. If they just left him exposed, Seattle might be dissuaded by his contract. So it could be a way to keep eight good forwards.

Marner got two more even strength points this year than Vrana. If you put Vrana on a top power play unit, he'll get as many points as Marner. He and Nylander both speak a tiny bit of Swedish, and that might help with line chemistry. Oshie's contract is bad, but I think I'm proposing a win for the Leafs. I'd have to build it from the Caps side to see whether it could also be a win for the Caps, as is.
    TheOtherAuston liked this.
    Sep. 25, 2020 at 8:28 p.m.
    Thank you so much!

The Caps' entire RHD depth chart (excluding minor league UFAs) is: John Carlson, Nick Jensen. They probably prefer not to just throw one in. Carlson is definitely not a throw-in. Tor bid the trade price on Jensen up to where Washington traded their top RHD prospect and a 2nd for him. You probably don't think he's worth Liljegren, but maybe Duszak?

Oshie's from Washington state, but with his contract, getting Seattle to commit to taking him probably costs the Caps about a 2nd. Oshie is one of the best in the league at playing net-front for screens, tips and rebounds, especially on the power play. The Caps' shooting percentage goes up when he is on the ice. But the Caps would want Seattle to take him because they can just move Tom Wilson up to that role, and be just as good at power plays. They have Hathaway to audition for Wilson's role on PP2. Toronto might prefer to keep Oshie, and keep getting 30 tap-in goals a year. If they just left him exposed, Seattle might be dissuaded by his contract. So it could be a way to keep eight good forwards.

Marner got two more even strength points this year than Vrana. If you put Vrana on a top power play unit, he'll get as many points as Marner. He and Nylander both speak a tiny bit of Swedish, and that might help with line chemistry. Oshie's contract is bad, but I think I'm proposing a win for the Leafs. I'd have to build it from the Caps side to see whether it could also be a win for the Caps, as is.

I definitely wouldn't deem it as unfair. It just doesn't work with the leafs cap, vrana is up for an extension next year and his deal would put us over what we move out in this deal and we still don't get a right handed d man
    Sep. 25, 2020 at 8:33 p.m.
    Your cab is on its way. Do you want me to hold onto your car keys?

don't understand this but...

Never said this is fair for WSH, all I said is that is what it would take to pry Marner out of my hands. There's a very key difference there
    Sep. 25, 2020 at 8:38 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    don't understand this but...

Never said this is fair for WSH, all I said is that is what it would take to pry Marner out of my hands. There's a very key difference there

I'm not going to have a conversation with someone who doesn't read what other people say.
    Sep. 25, 2020 at 8:40 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    I definitely wouldn't deem it as unfair. It just doesn't work with the leafs cap, vrana is up for an extension next year and his deal would put us over what we move out in this deal and we still don't get a right handed d man

I built the Caps' side, trading away their 2RHD. https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1953437

Same problem.

It seems like two top teams built exactly up to the cap can trade their most problematic contracts and create a little bit of freedom in different spots, but they do need to make deals with other teams in order to actually create any cap space, between them.
    Sep. 25, 2020 at 8:46 p.m.
    Banned
    Tell you what you want a perennial first round exit team you go ahead and keep him Mr.Dubas

Lol. So you're solution is to trade a 23 year old wingers who puts up over a point per game for absolute garbage, and then barely upgrade the rest of the roster? .. if you were in charge they wouldn't even make playoffs.
    Sep. 25, 2020 at 9:10 p.m.
    Lol. So you're solution is to trade a 23 year old wingers who puts up over a point per game for absolute garbage, and then barely upgrade the rest of the roster? .. if you were in charge they wouldn't even make playoffs.

Lol absolute garbage, well that takes your credibility away right there. Research before making baseless claims, once you've done that then come talk to me. And I think you already know the rest of the roster is well improved 3c in a 4c spot, top 4 d man in a bottom six role two new top 4 RHD and a top 6 winger at a third of the price. Get real bud.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll