$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 27, 2020 at 2:09 a.m.
Banned
Did you try to get a team closest to 0$ cap space if so well done you did it. I hope that's all you were trying to do here. Confused
Sep. 27, 2020 at 2:58 a.m.
Pietro takes at least 9+ million...we saw what Josi' new contract is.
OlegP liked this.
Sep. 27, 2020 at 11:57 a.m.
I'd do it. I'd only sign one of Fast/Simmonds to give them a bit more cap space, and have a cheaper forward extra.

Without Marner, keeping Johnsson/Kerfoot is important.

And you get 2 mid 1st rounders to have cheap ELC talent to replace the bottom 6 in the long run.
Sep. 27, 2020 at 2:06 p.m.
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
Pietro takes at least 9+ million...we saw what Josi' new contract is.

He was only offered $8M by St. Louis. Teams are operating under different assumptions now, due to the flat cap situation. Players are going to have to accept that they won't be able to command as much money as usual because of the lack of cap space around the league.

An $8.5M AAV is fair for him, especially when you consider that the Leafs can offer the most attractive structure possible to him, thus maximizing the actual amount he'd get. Getting $500k less per year is worth it if you can get all of it in signing bonus and like half of the money in the first year + 1 day, since you can invest that an get a greater return in the long run.

That's also not to mention the sheer number of lucrative sponsorship opportunities that would instantly be unlocked for him. Not sure if you're aware but literally Frederik Gauthier is in a commercial with Sonnet Insurance, and if he can get one, then clearly a #1 Dman would be stacked with offers.
Sep. 27, 2020 at 2:18 p.m.
Quoting: EnvironmentalTwister
I'd do it. I'd only sign one of Fast/Simmonds to give them a bit more cap space, and have a cheaper forward extra.

Without Marner, keeping Johnsson/Kerfoot is important.

And you get 2 mid 1st rounders to have cheap ELC talent to replace the bottom 6 in the long run.

My thought here is that, sure, in a bubble, you lose the Marner trade. But if that new found cap space lets you sign Pietrangelo, then you're essentially moving Marner for Pietrangelo + Severson + 2 mid-1sts, which obviously looks a hell of a lot nicer. I'm only making that move if it's certain that Petro's coming home.

I think that losing Marner at forward is a pretty big loss obviously, but the insane improvement on defence is more than worth it. And this team was pretty much #1 in goals for, so sacrificing some of that to assemble the best D corps in the league is so WORTH it. You still have a one-two punch of Matthews and Tavares to drive your top 2 lines. Then you've also got an incredible 30+ goal, 70+ point talent in William Nylander. Add in complementary pieces like Andreas Johnsson, Zach Hyman, Nick Robertson, and your top 6 is fantastic.

The depth of the forwards arguably improves here as well, as you're essentially swapping Kapanen and Gauthier for Jesper Fast and Wayne Simmonds. ~40 points from Kapanen,~15 from Gauthier for ~35 from Fast and ~30 from Simmonds, along with the experience they bring and the great physicality that Simmonds would offer you.
Sep. 27, 2020 at 2:20 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: ThewsTML
He was only offered $8M by St. Louis. Teams are operating under different assumptions now, due to the flat cap situation. Players are going to have to accept that they won't be able to command as much money as usual because of the lack of cap space around the league.

An $8.5M AAV is fair for him, especially when you consider that the Leafs can offer the most attractive structure possible to him, thus maximizing the actual amount he'd get. Getting $500k less per year is worth it if you can get all of it in signing bonus and like half of the money in the first year + 1 day, since you can invest that an get a greater return in the long run.

That's also not to mention the sheer number of lucrative sponsorship opportunities that would instantly be unlocked for him. Not sure if you're aware but literally Frederik Gauthier is in a commercial with Sonnet Insurance, and if he can get one, then clearly a #1 Dman would be stacked with offers.

You don’t understand economics. What one team is working with is not what every team is working with

There are 10 teams off the top of my head that could sign Petro to 10 million per year. You need 1 team to sign him not the majority of teams
Sep. 27, 2020 at 3:13 p.m.
Quoting: OlegP
You don’t understand economics. What one team is working with is not what every team is working with

There are 10 teams off the top of my head that could sign Petro to 10 million per year. You need 1 team to sign him not the majority of teams

Obviously someone like Ottawa or Detroit or Buffalo could technically sign him for $14 million per year. Is that in any way realistic? Of course not.

I'm assuming here that Petro wants to go to a good team here, and there's barely any that could afford to pay him so highly.

And again, the Leafs can offer the best structure possible, with signing bonuses up front, etc, to maximize his actual cash while keeping the AAV down. And again, the sponsorship opportunities for a superstar like him would be unparalleled in Toronto.

The AAV doesn't tell much about the actual cash that players can earn. It's a simple number, so I get why people would bring it up, but things are a lot more complex than that, and you need to look more into this to understand it better.
Sep. 27, 2020 at 3:52 p.m.
Banned
Obviously someone like Ottawa or Detroit or Buffalo could technically sign him for $14 million per year. Is that in any way realistic? Of course not.

I'm assuming here that Petro wants to go to a good team here, and there's barely any that could afford to pay him so highly.

And again, the Leafs can offer the best structure possible, with signing bonuses up front, etc, to maximize his actual cash while keeping the AAV down. And again, the sponsorship opportunities for a superstar like him would be unparalleled in Toronto.

The AAV doesn't tell much about the actual cash that players can earn. It's a simple number, so I get why people would bring it up, but things are a lot more complex than that, and you need to look more into this to understand it better.

Brian Burke already explained the economics of a Canadian market In some details. You can’t hide your money unless you put it in all retirement funds. Players want their money NOW He’d lose a ton of money with taxes while going to Toronto forget sponsorships.

Makes no sense how he’d settle for less money in Toronto. He’d just stay in St Louis.
The no tax states exceed the benefits of playing with sponsorships. IF he even goes to market, Vegas has a giant lead ahead of Toronto among others like Florida, etc

Your rosy coloured glasses with bias aren’t shinning bright
Sep. 27, 2020 at 5:05 p.m.
Quoting: OlegP
Brian Burke already explained the economics of a Canadian market In some details. You can’t hide your money unless you put it in all retirement funds. Players want their money NOW He’d lose a ton of money with taxes while going to Toronto forget sponsorships.

Makes no sense how he’d settle for less money in Toronto. He’d just stay in St Louis.
The no tax states exceed the benefits of playing with sponsorships. IF he even goes to market, Vegas has a giant lead ahead of Toronto among others like Florida, etc

Your rosy coloured glasses with bias aren’t shinning bright

Vegas? Lmao, they're planning to spend $12M on goalies. How the hell are they gonna work that one out?
Sep. 28, 2020 at 12:34 p.m.
My thought here is that, sure, in a bubble, you lose the Marner trade. But if that new found cap space lets you sign Pietrangelo, then you're essentially moving Marner for Pietrangelo + Severson + 2 mid-1sts, which obviously looks a hell of a lot nicer. I'm only making that move if it's certain that Petro's coming home.

I think that losing Marner at forward is a pretty big loss obviously, but the insane improvement on defence is more than worth it. And this team was pretty much #1 in goals for, so sacrificing some of that to assemble the best D corps in the league is so WORTH it. You still have a one-two punch of Matthews and Tavares to drive your top 2 lines. Then you've also got an incredible 30+ goal, 70+ point talent in William Nylander. Add in complementary pieces like Andreas Johnsson, Zach Hyman, Nick Robertson, and your top 6 is fantastic.

The depth of the forwards arguably improves here as well, as you're essentially swapping Kapanen and Gauthier for Jesper Fast and Wayne Simmonds. ~40 points from Kapanen,~15 from Gauthier for ~35 from Fast and ~30 from Simmonds, along with the experience they bring and the great physicality that Simmonds would offer you.

I agree. Pietro' PP value is also an added bonus.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll