SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Quick Question: Will Lundqvist be Bought Out? If So, Will the NYR Receive Cap Relief?

Sep. 27, 2020 at 4:10 a.m.
I've perused the Buyout page. There seems to be conflicting beliefs on whether or not 35+ year olds can be bought out to obtain cap relief, or just salary relief. For example, If Lundqvist is bought out of his final year ($8.5M AAV), will the Rangers just save salary or both salary and cap space? So basically, the NYR are going to be much more inclined to send Lundqvist packing if they can save a couple million bucks of cap space rather than just salary, right?

Can anyone provide an example or precedent for when a 35+ y.o. was bought out in recent times?

Any thoughts/clarification would be greatly appreciated.
Sep. 27, 2020 at 11:37 a.m.
Edited Sep. 27, 2020 at 11:45 a.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
I've perused the Buyout page. There seems to be conflicting beliefs on whether or not 35+ year olds can be bought out to obtain cap relief, or just salary relief. For example, If Lundqvist is bought out of his final year ($8.5M AAV), will the Rangers just save salary or both salary and cap space? So basically, the NYR are going to be much more inclined to send Lundqvist packing if they can save a couple million bucks of cap space rather than just salary, right?

Can anyone provide an example or precedent for when a 35+ y.o. was bought out in recent times?

Any thoughts/clarification would be greatly appreciated.

I think theres a distinction between '35+ year olds on a standard contract' and '35+ contracts'. Lundqvist signed his current deal before he was 35, so its just a standard contract - they would save cap space and salary from my understanding.

EDIT: just thought of an example with Orpik - He was signed to a standard contract (but was still 35+ years old) when he was bought out by COL in June 2018. He originally had 1 year left with a 5.5M cap hit and 4.5M base salary. The buyout lasted 2 years and had a cap hit of 2.5M and actual cost of 1.5M in the first year, then a 1.5M cap hit and 1.5M actual cost in the 2nd year
Brian2016 and hanson493 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll