NMC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, RW
RFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$6,400,000$6,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C
UFA - 2
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 2
$792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LD
RFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$3,333,225$3,333,225
LD
UFA - 2
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,850,000$1,850,000
G
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 28, 2020 at 1:44 p.m.
I really doubt that package gets you Nylander
Sep. 28, 2020 at 1:48 p.m.
Quoting: moli92
I really doubt that package gets you Nylander

I don't think it's far off to be honest. Toronto needs defense and physicality and Murphy is a excellent stay at home physical defender. Saad is one of the top 20 2 way wingers in the game and excels at defense and on the PK, not to mention he also was on pace for 30 goals this season and has over a .5ppg playoff career including .55ppg this season.
Sep. 28, 2020 at 1:50 p.m.
Nylander starts with Boqvist
Paul_Marners_Uncle liked this.
Sep. 28, 2020 at 1:51 p.m.
Quoting: MitchMarner_16

No...he doesn't "start" with Boqvist.
Sep. 28, 2020 at 1:53 p.m.
Rangers
I think rangers would prefer a player coming back
ChiHawk liked this.
Sep. 28, 2020 at 1:53 p.m.
Quoting: ChiHawk
No...he doesn't "start" with Boqvist.

Um, Thats literally the only piece that interests the leafs. Murphy isnt bad, hes not the Top Pair dman we need. Its like me trading Johnsson to you.
Paul_Marners_Uncle liked this.
Sep. 28, 2020 at 1:56 p.m.
Um, Thats literally the only piece that interests the leafs. Murphy isnt bad, hes not the Top Pair dman we need. Its like me trading Johnsson to you.

Um, Saad is exactly the type of winger the Leafs need in the playoffs. He's a much better version of everything Kap brought, minus the speed but also not slow himself. So Muphy + Saad makes this team better at the cost of a dynamic top 6 player which the Leafs are overloaded with.
Sep. 28, 2020 at 2:05 p.m.
Not even close for nylander
Sep. 28, 2020 at 2:06 p.m.
What in tarnation
Yeah CHI adds. Only type of player I see Dubas trading Nylander for is likely a TOP4 D of the same age. with top pair ceiling. Not a 27 year old 2nd pair D, a 28 year old pending UFA and a relatively low pick.

By stretching a bit, it looks to me like TOR offering Kerfoot+Muzzin+2021 1st for Debrincat. Imo the value is close to equivalent - and that is not something CHI will ever take.
Sep. 28, 2020 at 2:06 p.m.
I don't think the trade is that awful. I personally wouldn't do it without knowing what Saad re-ups for. If he walks in free agency we're left with one more year of Murphy and a random 3rd round pick for Nylander...so the long-term impact has too many warts...especially when we can keep Willy and try and sign a guy like Bogosian who can play a similar game to Murphy.
ChiHawk liked this.
Sep. 28, 2020 at 2:15 p.m.
Quoting: Juice
I don't think the trade is that awful. I personally wouldn't do it without knowing what Saad re-ups for. If he walks in free agency we're left with one more year of Murphy and a random 3rd round pick for Nylander...so the long-term impact has too many warts...especially when we can keep Willy and try and sign a guy like Bogosian who can play a similar game to Murphy.

Agree. If Saad extends (likely $4.5M for 4 or 5 years) this trade nails it for the Leafs as far as needs. Nylander isn't going to bring this team a playoff win, Murphy and Saad would be much more valuable in that regard. Why wouldn't Saad extend to play with a contender? I'm pretty sure Toronto would also be included on his list of teams he would waive for also.
Sep. 28, 2020 at 2:21 p.m.

Wrong
ChiHawk liked this.
Sep. 28, 2020 at 2:21 p.m.
I like it but leafs fans think my lander is better than kane so they won’t
ChiHawk liked this.
Sep. 28, 2020 at 2:24 p.m.
Quoting: justaBoss
Yeah CHI adds. Only type of player I see Dubas trading Nylander for is likely a TOP4 D of the same age. with top pair ceiling. Not a 27 year old 2nd pair D, a 28 year old pending UFA and a relatively low pick.

By stretching a bit, it looks to me like TOR offering Kerfoot+Muzzin+2021 1st for Debrincat. Imo the value is close to equivalent - and that is not something CHI will ever take.

If Saad were to agree to a extension, this would be a no brainer for Toronto. Sure, they can move Nylander and get a top line RHD or prospect except that leaves a big hole in the top 6. This move gets a physical stay at home defender in Murphy, and Saad would be an excellent top 6 player for Toronto for a team that lacks 2 way PK top 6 players not to mention Saad was on pace for 30 goals this season. Two valuable defensive physical players that are needed while giving up one of their dynamic offensive players is not a bad move if the Leafs want to get out of the first round of the playoffs.

And by the way, plenty of Chicago fans would object to this given the value Murphy brings for us and knowing Saad will probably extend for $4.5M and has been invaluable in the playoffs for the Hawks.
Sep. 28, 2020 at 2:31 p.m.
What in tarnation
If Saad were to agree to a extension, this would be a no brainer for Toronto. Sure, they can move Nylander and get a top line RHD or prospect except that leaves a big hole in the top 6. This move gets a physical stay at home defender in Murphy, and Saad would be an excellent top 6 player for Toronto for a team that lacks 2 way PK top 6 players not to mention Saad was on pace for 30 goals this season. Two valuable defensive physical players that are needed while giving up one of their dynamic offensive players is not a bad move if the Leafs want to get out of the first round of the playoffs.

And by the way, plenty of Chicago fans would object to this given the value Murphy brings for us and knowing Saad will probably extend for $4.5M and has been invaluable in the playoffs for the Hawks.

I get it. It's basically trading a great asset to a multiple of lesser assets to make the team a bit deeper.

Unfortunately, moves as such pretty much never happens because the team getting the lesser assets is almost always the losing one. The likelihood of Nylander shining through in Toronto is much higher than that of Saad and Murphy. That same logic works through in every single Laine to Habs in exchange to Domi and Mete and a boatload of picks trades - and there's already too many of that kind of moves on this site.

And given Nylander's age and development, I can't see the wisdom of trading a younger and better player for two worse and older ones. It just can't end well.

Someone said Boqvist is the only piece to start the negotiations going. I agree with that. I don't think CHI has any other pieces that bring Toronto in action to move Nylander, with the exception of Dach of course.

If CHI fans thinks it's a poor trade for them, then why on earth press the issue. Neither fanbase doesn't seem to be fond of such exchange...
Sep. 28, 2020 at 2:32 p.m.
Agree. If Saad extends (likely $4.5M for 4 or 5 years) this trade nails it for the Leafs as far as needs. Nylander isn't going to bring this team a playoff win, Murphy and Saad would be much more valuable in that regard. Why wouldn't Saad extend to play with a contender? I'm pretty sure Toronto would also be included on his list of teams he would waive for also.

I wouldn't be so eager as to say it "nails it". One year ago Murphy was pretty much a cast-off in Chicago and you guys were willing to peddle him for spare parts at best. Similar things could be said about a lot of Toronto fans and Nylander last off-season, too.

Murphy doesn't have the track record that inspires confidence. If Nylander is a legit name being offered, you also have to imagine the quality of d-men available from other teams would increase, too. I think the deal would have to be seriously considered, but one that still is cause for a lot of concern.
Sep. 28, 2020 at 2:41 p.m.
Quoting: Juice
I wouldn't be so eager as to say it "nails it". One year ago Murphy was pretty much a cast-off in Chicago and you guys were willing to peddle him for spare parts at best. Similar things could be said about a lot of Toronto fans and Nylander last off-season, too.

Murphy doesn't have the track record that inspires confidence. If Nylander is a legit name being offered, you also have to imagine the quality of d-men available from other teams would increase, too. I think the deal would have to be seriously considered, but one that still is cause for a lot of concern.

Murphy wasn't a cast off a year ago, that was 2 years ago. Since then he's developed quite a bit to the point that he was playing top pair covering for...wait for this...Duncan Keith in the playoffs. Murphy has become highly loved by Chicago and the organization as he is our best stay at home defender and IMO much better then De Haan not that he is bad around the net because he's not.

To your point, Saad would have to be extended but bottom line, if Leafs move Nylander for a 1st line stud RHD, I just think it leaves a gaping hole in the Leafs top 6. Also think the Leafs definitely need a winger that is defensively good and plays all the zones. If I were the Leafs, and they are my 3rd favorite team, I'd be very interested in it given the gaps that are exposed the last 4 years in the playoffs.
Sep. 28, 2020 at 2:45 p.m.
I get it. It's basically trading a great asset to a multiple of lesser assets to make the team a bit deeper.

Unfortunately, moves as such pretty much never happens because the team getting the lesser assets is almost always the losing one. The likelihood of Nylander shining through in Toronto is much higher than that of Saad and Murphy. That same logic works through in every single Laine to Habs in exchange to Domi and Mete and a boatload of picks trades - and there's already too many of that kind of moves on this site.

And given Nylander's age and development, I can't see the wisdom of trading a younger and better player for two worse and older ones. It just can't end well.

Someone said Boqvist is the only piece to start the negotiations going. I agree with that. I don't think CHI has any other pieces that bring Toronto in action to move Nylander, with the exception of Dach of course.

If CHI fans thinks it's a poor trade for them, then why on earth press the issue. Neither fanbase doesn't seem to be fond of such exchange...

We wouldn't do Boqvist plus much more then a borderline prospect for Nylander as Boqvist has all the potential to be a top 10 defensive player. That said, Boqvist would be a bad fit. Leafs need a stay at home physical defender not another puck mover PP QB like Boqvist IMO.

I don't love it or hate it...kind of indifferent about Murphy + Saad for Nylander. If Saad was extended, I'd take this as a Leafs fan. You're acting as if Saad and Murphy are bottom 6 and 3rd line players.
Sep. 28, 2020 at 2:49 p.m.
What in tarnation
We wouldn't do Boqvist plus much more then a borderline prospect for Nylander as Boqvist has all the potential to be a top 10 defensive player. That said, Boqvist would be a bad fit. Leafs need a stay at home physical defender not another puck mover PP QB like Boqvist IMO.

I don't love it or hate it...kind of indifferent about Murphy + Saad for Nylander. If Saad was extended, I'd take this as a Leafs fan. You're acting as if Saad and Murphy are bottom 6 and 3rd line players.

They're not. Neither are the players offered for Laine in all those Laine to MTL AGMs that I used as example...but they're still subpar when compared to what they're returning. That is just indisputable.

If I were Dubas, I wouldn't touch this. I'd rather look for how Nylander keeps developing, or wait for a better offer. I wouldn't bother trading Nylander for two worse and older players. It's just not worth it.
Juice liked this.
Sep. 28, 2020 at 3:04 p.m.
Murphy wasn't a cast off a year ago, that was 2 years ago. Since then he's developed quite a bit to the point that he was playing top pair covering for...wait for this...Duncan Keith in the playoffs. Murphy has become highly loved by Chicago and the organization as he is our best stay at home defender and IMO much better then De Haan not that he is bad around the net because he's not.

To your point, Saad would have to be extended but bottom line, if Leafs move Nylander for a 1st line stud RHD, I just think it leaves a gaping hole in the Leafs top 6. Also think the Leafs definitely need a winger that is defensively good and plays all the zones. If I were the Leafs, and they are my 3rd favorite team, I'd be very interested in it given the gaps that are exposed the last 4 years in the playoffs.

That's true...there were more than a number of "Connor Brown for Connor Murphy" proposals with both sides saying the deal made sense back in the summer of 2018. Then he was injury plagued for most of the first half of the 2018-19 season and had an average 2nd half. So again, not an inspiring track record. I just don't see the leafs paying the price that Chicago would ask for on Murphy.

I personally think the trade value was at least decent...but Kyle has made it clear he has no intentions of moving Nylander so it would take an impressive return for him to go back on that.
ChiHawk liked this.
Sep. 28, 2020 at 3:04 p.m.
They're not. Neither are the players offered for Laine in all those Laine to MTL AGMs that I used as example...but they're still subpar when compared to what they're returning. That is just indisputable.

If I were Dubas, I wouldn't touch this. I'd rather look for how Nylander keeps developing, or wait for a better offer. I wouldn't bother trading Nylander for two worse and older players. It's just not worth it.

Here's the problem with Laine; how would anyone have expectations you're going to get back a better or equal player? It's completely unrealistic. There are so few players in the NHL that are of equal value 1 for 1 and the one's that are the other teams have locked them in and see them as a big part of their future. Same is true for Nylander to a lesser degree. When have you ever seen a star traded for a star 1 for 1? It's always one team trading a star to get back futures, or bolster their depth all around, or a combination of the two.
Sep. 28, 2020 at 3:12 p.m.

I don't think Dubas would offer Kerfoot+Muzzin+2021 for Debrincat as it doesn't meet any of the team's needs. In a quick review of needs for Toronto, I see blue line help is needed, and that 77% penalty kill is a good way to never get out of the first round of the playoffs. The trade you suggested weakens the Leafs blue line and gives them a top 6 winger that doesn't kill penalties. It also doesn't really provide any net benefit to the Blackhawks as they already have enough 30+ yr old D and middle 6'rs in their mid-20's. It's fine if you're spit-balling in terms of value, but the basics of the Saad/Murphy for W Nylander is it improves the Leafs blue line and should help the PK, while staying fairly cap neutral with salary retained.
ChiHawk liked this.
Sep. 28, 2020 at 3:15 p.m.
What in tarnation
Here's the problem with Laine; how would anyone have expectations you're going to get back a better or equal player? It's completely unrealistic. There are so few players in the NHL that are of equal value 1 for 1 and the one's that are the other teams have locked them in and see them as a big part of their future. Same is true for Nylander to a lesser degree. When have you ever seen a star traded for a star 1 for 1? It's always one team trading a star to get back futures, or bolster their depth all around, or a combination of the two.

Well Weber for Subban comes to mind, but it's an exception. Then again, so is trading star players by default. Especially when the said team is not exaclty in a rebuilding status. In these cases, neither Leafs or the Jets are that. And neither are CHI.

In Laine's situation, I personally think that potential Habs trade should involve Suzuki and Romanov going WPG's way. The players are young and the ceiling is enough to warrant such a loss as Laine is.

In this example, the players TOR is getting here have pretty much surpassed their ceiling already and are in their prime. With Nylander that is not yet the case. This is why I dislike a trade as such.
ChiHawk liked this.
Sep. 28, 2020 at 3:16 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: RamonDaze
I don't think Dubas would offer Kerfoot+Muzzin+2021 for Debrincat as it doesn't meet any of the team's needs. In a quick review of needs for Toronto, I see blue line help is needed, and that 77% penalty kill is a good way to never get out of the first round of the playoffs. The trade you suggested weakens the Leafs blue line and gives them a top 6 winger that doesn't kill penalties. It also doesn't really provide any net benefit to the Blackhawks as they already have enough 30+ yr old D and middle 6'rs in their mid-20's. It's fine if you're spit-balling in terms of value, but the basics of the Saad/Murphy for W Nylander is it improves the Leafs blue line and should help the PK, while staying fairly cap neutral with salary retained.

Yeah that might be the case. I was just laboring the point on how it seems value-wise.
RamonDaze liked this.
Sep. 28, 2020 at 3:48 p.m.
Well Weber for Subban comes to mind, but it's an exception. Then again, so is trading star players by default. Especially when the said team is not exaclty in a rebuilding status. In these cases, neither Leafs or the Jets are that. And neither are CHI.

In Laine's situation, I personally think that potential Habs trade should involve Suzuki and Romanov going WPG's way. The players are young and the ceiling is enough to warrant such a loss as Laine is.

In this example, the players TOR is getting here have pretty much surpassed their ceiling already and are in their prime. With Nylander that is not yet the case. This is why I dislike a trade as such.

Yes, that is the big wild card. Nylander is not in his prime yet so how much upside is left in him and that is very hard to measure. Saad is playing his best hockey in his prime and Murphy is playing his best hockey but still upside as he's been getting better every 25 games noticeably which is strange at age 27 but not a lot of miles on his skates either for his age. Needless to say, Murphy has to be close and with Saad in his prime you know what they are worth. Much much harder to tell what Nylander is worth as if there is even more significant improvement to the point he is the next Kane then this is a bad trade. However if this past season was an anomaly and he is more a 20 to 25 goal scorer and 65'is point winger for his career then this trade makes a lot of sense for the Leafs; btw I think Nylander becomes a consistent 30 goal'ish 80 point player.
justaBoss liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll