SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Trade Machine Proposals

Ducks Clear the Cap

Created by: Creagentuirc
Published: Sep. 30, 2020 at 8:19 p.m.
Salary Cap: $81,500,000
Season Days: 124/125 (99%)
Central Registry Determination: This trade has been rejected because the cap hit of one of the teams is below the lower limit

Logo of the Anaheim DucksAnaheim Ducks

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Kesler, RyanAnaheim DucksIR-$6,820,000011---0000--
Gudbranson, ErikAnaheim DucksNHL-$3,968,000111---0000--
Backes, DavidAnaheim DucksNHL-$5,952,000111---0000--
2020 1st round pick (Logo of the Boston BruinsBOS)---100------
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Lajoie, MaximeOttawa SenatorsMinor-$0011---0000--
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$470,0012141524611
Change$16,740,000-2-2-2-100
Final$17,210,001 (↑)19 (↓)39 (↓)50 (↓)3 (↓)611000

Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsOttawa Senators

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Lajoie, MaximeOttawa SenatorsMinor-$0011---0000--
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Kesler, RyanAnaheim DucksIR-$6,820,000011---0000--
Gudbranson, ErikAnaheim DucksNHL-$3,968,000111---0000--
Backes, DavidAnaheim DucksNHL-$5,952,000111---0000--
2020 1st round pick (Logo of the Boston BruinsBOS)---100------
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$43,262,5009274451212
Change-$16,740,000222100
Final$26,522,500 (↓)11 (↑)29 (↑)46 (↑)6 (↑)1212000
Sep. 30, 2020 at 9:14 p.m.
You’ve skipped over the part where the Ducks don’t need to clear cap

Keslers deal is insured and on LTIR, Gudbranson is worth every bit of 4M with how well he played for us and our lack of NHL RHD, and backes can be a 4th liner for us as he’s only getting paid around 2.2M in real cash
BuckoJoyde, Bigboi69 and AGKH123 liked this.
Oct. 1, 2020 at 3:52 a.m.
Being wrong is ok
and I want to trade Sam steel and max jones for 3rd overall. To bad things just dont go my way when they should.
Salzy and AGKH123 liked this.
Oct. 1, 2020 at 8:11 a.m.
Quoting: Salzy
You’ve skipped over the part where the Ducks don’t need to clear cap

Keslers deal is insured and on LTIR, Gudbranson is worth every bit of 4M with how well he played for us and our lack of NHL RHD, and backes can be a 4th liner for us as he’s only getting paid around 2.2M in real cash

You're aware that even though Kesler is on LTIR, is cap hit still counts againt Ducks total. Insurance just pays most of the salary. Ducks have roughly $500k in projected cap space for next season. Id say they need to clear a bit.

As a Sens fan, thats a hard pass anyways, Unloading 3 contracts for a single late 1st rounder plus we give back a decent D prospect. No thanks.
Oct. 1, 2020 at 8:20 a.m.
Quoting: Flavortown
You're aware that even though Kesler is on LTIR, is cap hit still counts againt Ducks total. Insurance just pays most of the salary. Ducks have roughly $500k in projected cap space for next season. Id say they need to clear a bit.

As a Sens fan, thats a hard pass anyways, Unloading 3 contracts for a single late 1st rounder plus we give back a decent D prospect. No thanks.

You realize if he gets put on LTIR, it doesnt count against the cap right? If he on the regular IR it counts against the cap, but not LTIR With Insurance he's owed around 2-2.5 a year in actual cash if the minimum is insured

The Ducks have upwards of 7M in cap space once he gets put on the LTIR with 21/23 roster spots filled. They can slot Stolarz in at back up G at a cap hit of 750K and then they only have one roster spot open, which they can call up Max Comtois to fill at a cap hit of 820k. Do your research before you claim things that are outright false
AGKH123 liked this.
Oct. 1, 2020 at 11:43 a.m.
You realize if he gets put on LTIR, it doesnt count against the cap right? If he on the regular IR it counts against the cap, but not LTIR With Insurance he's owed around 2-2.5 a year in actual cash if the minimum is insured

The Ducks have upwards of 7M in cap space once he gets put on the LTIR with 21/23 roster spots filled. They can slot Stolarz in at back up G at a cap hit of 750K and then they only have one roster spot open, which they can call up Max Comtois to fill at a cap hit of 820k. Do your research before you claim things that are outright false

You should go to the CBA drop down menu and click on LTIR FAQ.

"When a player is placed on LTIR, their cap hit remains on the teams cap payroll and it continues to count as it always did. It also does not provide the club with additional cap-space savings that can be banked for future use while the team operates above the salary cap. Instead, LTIR provides relief if the club's averaged club salary, or payroll, begins to exceed the upper limit."

Furthermore, if you go to Anaheim's page, Capfriendly already has Kesler on LTIR and look at their current project cap space.... $470,001. But you do you man.
Oct. 1, 2020 at 11:54 a.m.
You should go to the CBA drop down menu and click on LTIR FAQ.

"When a player is placed on LTIR, their cap hit remains on the teams cap payroll and it continues to count as it always did. It also does not provide the club with additional cap-space savings that can be banked for future use while the team operates above the salary cap. Instead, LTIR provides relief if the club's averaged club salary, or payroll, begins to exceed the upper limit."

Furthermore, if you go to Anaheim's page, Capfriendly already has Kesler on LTIR and look at their current project cap space.... $470,001. But you do you man.

You really are thick headed. LTIR has always removed the cap hit, it doesnt get rid of the money but it doesnt get used against the cap, Kesler has him on the regular IR where that hit still counts, not on the LTIR

Go make a ducks ACGM and put Kesler on the LTIR, his cap hit is essentially removed. It really isnt that hard to understand and look at past examples for proof (Clarkson, Horton, Robidas, etc)

Read past the first two lines of that page. Im not saying Keslers cap hit might be essentially ignored I am flat out telling you with 100% certainty if he is placed on the LTIR his cap hit doesnt affect the Ducks and they will have cap space.

The cap space isnt accounted for until it is needed, which is why it isnt appearing as of now, because they havent exceeded the upper limit, once they do Keslers cap hit will be removed

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1968560

I know what I am talking about, whereas you clearly do not and need to actually do research before you make your self look like even more of an idiot
AGKH123 liked this.
Oct. 1, 2020 at 12:27 p.m.
You really are thick headed. LTIR has always removed the cap hit, it doesnt get rid of the money but it doesnt get used against the cap, Kesler has him on the regular IR where that hit still counts, not on the LTIR

Go make a ducks ACGM and put Kesler on the LTIR, his cap hit is essentially removed. It really isnt that hard to understand and look at past examples for proof (Clarkson, Horton, Robidas, etc)

Read past the first two lines of that page. Im not saying Keslers cap hit might be essentially ignored I am flat out telling you with 100% certainty if he is placed on the LTIR his cap hit doesnt affect the Ducks and they will have cap space.

The cap space isnt accounted for until it is needed, which is why it isnt appearing as of now, because they havent exceeded the upper limit, once they do Keslers cap hit will be removed

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1968560

I know what I am talking about, whereas you clearly do not and need to actually do research before you make your self look like even more of an idiot

Is that link supposed to be an example of Kesler being on LTIR and his cap hit not counting... because it still does. lol.

I don't think you understand how it actually works, but that's okay.

There's a reason why Ottawa took on Gaborik and Callahan's contracts. Its because once placed on LTIR ,their cap hits still count, yet they only have to pay a fraction of the salary with insurance paying the rest. Thats how they got the the league lower limit of $60.2M and actually spending only somewhere around $45M.

Teams like Toronto utilized LTIR contracts like because its gave them flexibility and allowed them to exceed the upper limit of $81.5M because of accruable cap space. Heres an explanation of what Toronto did last year by Frank Seravalli...

"But the Leafs actual full-season cap hits still amounted to north of $95 million, well above the $81.5 million cap.

A big reason why the Maple Leafs were able to remain cap compliant was the long-term injury flexibility provided by Horton’s ($5.3 million) and Clarkson’s ($5.25 million) cap hits.

By inching as close to the $81.5 million cap as possible, the Leafs were then allowed to exceed the cap by an amount equal to the nearly the full combined $10.55 million cap hits of those two long-injured players."
Oct. 1, 2020 at 12:35 p.m.
Is that link supposed to be an example of Kesler being on LTIR and his cap hit not counting... because it still does. lol.

I don't think you understand how it actually works, but that's okay.

There's a reason why Ottawa took on Gaborik and Callahan's contracts. Its because once placed on LTIR ,their cap hits still count, yet they only have to pay a fraction of the salary with insurance paying the rest. Thats how they got the the league lower limit of $60.2M and actually spending only somewhere around $45M.

Teams like Toronto utilized LTIR contracts like because its gave them flexibility and allowed them to exceed the upper limit of $81.5M because of accruable cap space. Heres an explanation of what Toronto did last year by Frank Seravalli...

"But the Leafs actual full-season cap hits still amounted to north of $95 million, well above the $81.5 million cap.

A big reason why the Maple Leafs were able to remain cap compliant was the long-term injury flexibility provided by Horton’s ($5.3 million) and Clarkson’s ($5.25 million) cap hits.

By inching as close to the $81.5 million cap as possible, the Leafs were then allowed to exceed the cap by an amount equal to the nearly the full combined $10.55 million cap hits of those two long-injured players."

It literally doesnt count against the upper limit of the cap? like I do not get how you dont understand that at this point, its either stupidity, ignorance or both

Keslers cap will not count against the Ducks upper limit this season or next unless he is deemed fit to play (which is pretty much impossible at this point)

The Ducks could go out and sign someone at a 6M AAV if they wanted and not need to trade any cap to make it fit. Keslers would move to the LTIR and essentially negate it. It doesnt actually remove it and he still gets paid but it wouldnt count against the upper limit should the Ducks exceed that
AGKH123 liked this.
Oct. 1, 2020 at 12:40 p.m.
It literally doesnt count against the upper limit of the cap? like I do not get how you dont understand that at this point, its either stupidity, ignorance or both

Keslers cap will not count against the Ducks upper limit this season or next unless he is deemed fit to play (which is pretty much impossible at this point)

The Ducks could go out and sign someone at a 6M AAV if they wanted and not need to trade any cap to make it fit. Keslers would move to the LTIR and essentially negate it. It doesnt actually remove it and he still gets paid but it wouldnt count against the upper limit should the Ducks exceed that

Yeah 100% true, LTIR doesnt remove it but it allows a team to spend over the upper limit, in this case 81.5M. The Ducks have no reason to move any asset to shed cap as they do not need cap space with Keslers deal moving to the LTIR and no longer affecting the upper limit threshold
Oct. 1, 2020 at 1:07 p.m.
Quoting: AGKH123
Yeah 100% true, LTIR doesnt remove it but it allows a team to spend over the upper limit, in this case 81.5M. The Ducks have no reason to move any asset to shed cap as they do not need cap space with Keslers deal moving to the LTIR and no longer affecting the upper limit threshold

giphy.gif
Oct. 1, 2020 at 6:52 p.m.
Serf
The LTIR rule is a little sticky in how the relief is applied. Most people think the relief is just there from day one, but it actually isn't activated until it's needed, as already stated, but that's just half the problem. There's also stipulations on how much is applied, as I understand it. I'm not as versed as others, but all in all, the main point is, the contract doesn't need to be traded.

Gudbranson is a right handed Jared Cowen, and Ottawa fans won't like that
Backes isn't worth the $3MM in salary as a 4th liner. $3MM is standard for a decent 3rd line centre, Backes is a depth winger, declining fast

The Bos draft pick is 27th overall

Backes
Bos 1st (27th overall)

for

Lajoie
Oct. 2, 2020 at 2:16 a.m.
Being wrong is ok
Quoting: sensibleguy
The LTIR rule is a little sticky in how the relief is applied. Most people think the relief is just there from day one, but it actually isn't activated until it's needed, as already stated, but that's just half the problem. There's also stipulations on how much is applied, as I understand it. I'm not as versed as others, but all in all, the main point is, the contract doesn't need to be traded.

Gudbranson is a right handed Jared Cowen, and Ottawa fans won't like that
Backes isn't worth the $3MM in salary as a 4th liner. $3MM is standard for a decent 3rd line centre, Backes is a depth winger, declining fast

The Bos draft pick is 27th overall

Backes
Bos 1st (27th overall)

for

Lajoie

Lol no. Just assured him a full time spot oddly enough tears of joy Not the best thing but hey he might play his 1000th game so yea its a polite thing to do for a team starting a rebuild

Man too many of these lately from sen fans.

Why would we trade for cap when we aren't desperate to sign anyone or save money ? You know who is desperate to save money? Ottawa. Y'all just bought out Bobby Ryan to save money and only that. So yea I bet before ANA could decline Dorion and Melnyk would be opposed to this trade.

Last thing man why would we make a trade to acquire Backes and that 1st to then trade is because of cap issues. I know with the flat cap things are unusual but after next season we have alot of money coming of the books(Perry's buyout and Getzlafs contract)

So yea no.
Oct. 2, 2020 at 8:39 a.m.

Morning!
sensibleguy liked this.
Oct. 2, 2020 at 9:21 a.m.
Serf
Quoting: BuckoJoyde
Lol no. Just assured him a full time spot oddly enough tears of joy Not the best thing but hey he might play his 1000th game so yea its a polite thing to do for a team starting a rebuild

Man too many of these lately from sen fans.

Why would we trade for cap when we aren't desperate to sign anyone or save money ? You know who is desperate to save money? Ottawa. Y'all just bought out Bobby Ryan to save money and only that. So yea I bet before ANA could decline Dorion and Melnyk would be opposed to this trade.

Last thing man why would we make a trade to acquire Backes and that 1st to then trade is because of cap issues. I know with the flat cap things are unusual but after next season we have alot of money coming of the books(Perry's buyout and Getzlafs contract)

So yea no.

The OP believes the Ducks need cap space, posted a possible solution, don't feel personally attacked by it, it's just conjecture, and for fun. In fact, every trade on this site is conjecture, we're on the outside looking in. Doesn't mean we can't have some fun with it. Don't take it so serious, relax, smile a little.

As for the need for cap space, it all depends on if Kesler returns. If the Ducks can use his LTIR, they're probably fine, but if he returns, that changes things. Keep Backes, keep the pick, enjoy your team. This is for fun, no need to be condescending or insulting.

As for Bobby Ryan, yeah the Sens bought him out, to save money, that's what buyouts are for. The Ducks bought out Corey Perry, just to save money.

Life happens, relax and enjoy it
Oct. 2, 2020 at 11:10 a.m.

I might get this put on a t-shirt!
sensibleguy liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll