Tampa RFAs Resigned 22 Man Roster

Created by: Shanesaw9
Team: 2020-21 Tampa Bay Lightning
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 30, 2020
Published: Sep. 30, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
My take on Tampa Bay's offseason.

1. Tyler Johnson has a full NTC for only one more season. If I'm TB, I talk with him and say "the reality is you are likely getting traded this season or the next due to the cap, if you agree to waive your NTC this season we will find you a good fit, but we can't promise that next season." What better fit for Johnson is there than another team that just made it to the Stanley Cup finals with the exact same taxes. Under better circumstances they could probably get more for him in a trade to say WPG or MIN, but it just isn't realistic to expect him to waive his NTC for those destinations.

2. I took Faksa back because DAL won't need him with Benn / Pavelka, Seguin, and Johnson. I then flipped him to DET because he would cost more than Paquette. DET seems like a decent fit, but it could be any team.

3. Acciari trade is similar to the Goodrow and Coleman trades where TB traded there 1st round pick for players on affordable contracts with 2 years. In this scenario they also move another player with a full NTC to a good fit for that player in Coburn. Same state, how could the fit get any better than that?

4. Being a habs fan myself, I'm a little skeptical to the idea of trading Lehkonen for Killorn. At first glance it is a no brainer, but Lehkonen is younger, cheaper, and actually slightly more productive at 5 on 5 than Killorn. Having said that, I can definitely see Bergevin doing this move because Killorn is a proven top 6 winger, Killorn grew up near (or in?) MTL, and Killorn is a stanley cup champion. TB also adds some goaltending depth (you'll see why thats necessary) and MTL trades one of their 6 signed goaltenders. Added late 7th's for the salary retention and goalie.

5. Traded McElhinney to save $600k, every $ counts so why not save up on a backup goalie. Traded him for Comrie, so TB has two NHL options in Lindgren in Comrie in there system. But the best part is signing King Henrik to be the new backup, would be so cool to get him a Stanley Cup.

6. Signed Cirelli similar to Danault. Signed Sergache to the same deal McCavoy got, signed Cernak to what Zadorov got for his first contract after ELC. They all seem like reasonable comparisons. I went a little higher for Cirelli over Danault because of the threat of offersheets.

7. Signed veterans who will want a chance at the cup to minimum contracts. Greene, Lundqvist, Boyle, etc.

I think TB could pull it off.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$4,700,000
2$2,150,000
3$3,750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$700,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,300,000
1$700,000
1$700,000
1$700,000
Trades
TBL
  1. Faksa, Radek [RFA Rights]
TBL
  1. Svechnikov, Evgeny
  2. 2021 3rd round pick (VGK)
DET
    Faksa, Radek [RFA Rights]
    TBL
    1. Acciari, Noel ($833,333 retained)
    FLA
    1. Coburn, Braydon
    2. 2021 1st round pick (TBL)
    TBL
    MTL
    1. Killorn, Alex
    2. 2021 7th round pick (NSH)
    3. 2021 7th round pick (TBL)
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the VGK
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TBL
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$81,500,000$81,450,000$0$0$50,000

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    LW, RW
    NTC
    UFA - 2
    $6,750,000$6,750,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $1,800,000$1,800,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 3
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    LW, C
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
    $1,200,000$1,200,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Florida Panthers
    $833,334$833,334
    C, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $5,166,666$5,166,666
    C, LW, RW
    NTC
    UFA - 5
    $925,000$925,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,650,000$1,650,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $700,000$700,000
    LW, C
    UFA
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $7,875,000$7,875,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $6,750,000$6,750,000
    LD
    NTC
    UFA - 6
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    G
    UFA - 8
    $4,700,000$4,700,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 3
    $2,150,000$2,150,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $700,000$700,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $1,300,000$1,300,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Sep. 30, 2020 at 9:18 p.m.
    Big Buch Energy
    I don’t think it’ll take a 1st to make up the value between Coburn and Acciari...
    Sep. 30, 2020 at 9:21 p.m.
    Buffbry
    Yeah wings pass, not even close to what they are trying to do
    aedoran liked this.
    Sep. 30, 2020 at 9:23 p.m.
    MisstheWhalers
    That seems excessive to dump Coburn, could just buy him out and the cap hit is like $600K.
    Sep. 30, 2020 at 9:25 p.m.
    Habs 2010
    Quoting: buchiegang
    I don’t think it’ll take a 1st to make up the value between Coburn and Acciari...

You also wouldn't think it would take a 1st to trade for Goodrow, but TB did it didn't they. Career high 24 pts in 64 games and all. Acciari scored 20 goals last year, FLA is retaining 50% salary for two seasons, and Coburn has zero value, if not negative.
    Sep. 30, 2020 at 9:29 p.m.
    Habs 2010
    Quoting: MisstheWhalers
    That seems excessive to dump Coburn, could just buy him out and the cap hit is like $600K.

Its not about dumping Coburn. Its about getting a cheap 3rd line C, (guy scored 20 goals last year) AND dumping Coburn.

And buying him out would save less money than sending him to the AHL. Lastly, an extra $600k would put this team over the cap sooooo?

Then see the other comment. TB literally paid that price for Goodrow... if anything this is less than what they paid to get Goodrow since Acciari is better and Florida is taking Coburns contract.
    Sep. 30, 2020 at 9:30 p.m.
    Quoting: Shanesaw9
    You also wouldn't think it would take a 1st to trade for Goodrow, but TB did it didn't they. Career high 24 pts in 64 games and all. Acciari scored 20 goals last year, FLA is retaining 50% salary for two seasons, and Coburn has zero value, if not negative.

A 1st for Acciari is a reach. He is good 4th liner and Coburn is a depth D. Sure TBL need to move some $ but a 1st is a lot, that's even more than Goodrow+3rd.

And all those UFAs aren't signing for that money, especially Lundqvist.
    Sep. 30, 2020 at 9:30 p.m.
    Big Buch Energy

If that’s what it’s gonna take then I wouldn’t do it. Tampa will need to keep those 1st rounders and continue to have a cycle of young cheap talent. As good as Goodrow was, I still think that was an overlay. I’d say attach to a 5th to Coburn and send him to Ottawa and sign somebody at league minimum to play bottom six minutes and keep your 1st...
    Sep. 30, 2020 at 9:32 p.m.
    Former Hockey Fan
    I don’t want Killorn’s contract to begin with, but now that he’s shown his true colours, I don’t want some idiot that has no respect for anyone’s safety.
    Sep. 30, 2020 at 9:38 p.m.
    You are asking both Cirelli and Cernak to take huge hometown discounts. Both would be candidates for multiple Offer Sheets worth $10 million more over the next 5 years. You need to create another $4-5M in cap space ie either Gourde has to go as well, or TBL can fit in only 2 of the 3 RFAs.
    Sep. 30, 2020 at 9:53 p.m.
    Habs 2010
    Quoting: bhavikp27
    A 1st for Acciari is a reach. He is good 4th liner and Coburn is a depth D. Sure TBL need to move some $ but a 1st is a lot, that's even more than Goodrow+3rd.

And all those UFAs aren't signing for that money, especially Lundqvist.

Ok.

TB trades a 1st and an AHL prospect for Goodrow and a 3rd. Goodrow scored a career high 26 pts in 70 games this year (8 goals) with 2 yrs of $925k cap hit.

TB trades a 1st and dumps Coburn (A depth D that only averaged 14 min for TB last season and was a healthy scratch through most of the playoffs and is overpaid $900k way too much for a depth D in TB) for Acciari, who scored 27 pts (20 goals!) at a cap hit of $833k for 2 years because Florida is retaining $833k for two seasons.

So in the first trade TB gets a 3rd back and adds an AHL guy. In the 2nd trade Florida takes on about $1.733M in year 1 and $833k in year two of salary, which is worth a 3rd if not more.

Now which UFA's aren't signing, oh I'm sorry all of them? So Maroon isn't taking a raise? Bogosian and Schenn won't sign for what they signed for last year? Lundqvist, Green, and Boyle (38, 37, and 35 respectively and have never won a cup) won't sign with the defending Stanley cup champs for what may be there last shot at winning? Are you aware of a thing called performance bonuses? Players on ELC's or 35+ are eligible for performance bonuses and every team is allowed to exceed the salary cap by 8% in performance bonuses. TB currently has no performance bonuses on their roster which means they have $6.52M available to give in performance bonuses to those three UFA's.

Everyone on this site always has to argue, but does not put any thought into there argument... it is tiring.

So to summarize tour arguement:
    - TB wont do that trade that they just did before winning a cup.
    - Washed up 35+ UFA's who have never won a cup aren't gonna sign in TB with the defending stanley cup champs, with the best taxes and weather in the NHL, and with a team that has $6.52M available to offer in performance bonuses because the market is just gonna be a crazy bidding war for these guys.

Seriously.
    Sep. 30, 2020 at 9:54 p.m.
    Habs 2010
    Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
    I don’t want Killorn’s contract to begin with, but now that he’s shown his true colours, I don’t want some idiot that has no respect for anyone’s safety.

I dont want him either, because Lehkonen is better at 5 on 5 cheaper and younger, but i could still see Bergevin doing it.

Having said that, what did Killorn do?
    Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
    Sep. 30, 2020 at 10:02 p.m.
    Habs 2010
    Quoting: buchiegang
    If that’s what it’s gonna take then I wouldn’t do it. Tampa will need to keep those 1st rounders and continue to have a cycle of young cheap talent. As good as Goodrow was, I still think that was an overlay. I’d say attach to a 5th to Coburn and send him to Ottawa and sign somebody at league minimum to play bottom six minutes and keep your 1st...

That's a fair stance. I like the fit of Acciari in TB, he is cheap (salary retained), physical, takes faceoffs, coming off a 20 goal season, even recieved one vote for the Selke (he is good defesnively). Seems exactly the type of guy TB would target. No player with that caliber of play, or even a 20 goal scorer is gonna be available for $833K in free agency.

Tampa Bay is in it to win it right now, I don't think they care about losing there late first round picks. Plus they seem to find gems later in the draft anyways and get first picks at undrafted free agents more often then not... Johnson, Barre Boulet, etc.

Also the hole in your idea of trading Coburn to Ottawa is he has a full NTC, so why does he want to go to Ottawa. Thats why I found a fit that works for him, no one can tell me Coburn wouldn't waive his NTC to stay in Florida.
    Sep. 30, 2020 at 10:08 p.m.
    Habs 2010
    Quoting: Sr_Advisor_Hockey_Ops
    You are asking both Cirelli and Cernak to take huge hometown discounts. Both would be candidates for multiple Offer Sheets worth $10 million more over the next 5 years. You need to create another $4-5M in cap space ie either Gourde has to go as well, or TBL can fit in only 2 of the 3 RFAs.

Agree to disagree?

I don't see anyone offering these guys huge money along with picks to steal them away from the team they just won a cup with. TB could also move paquette and send one guy down to free up an extra $1.6M to put towards them. If necessary.

I gave contract comparables in Danault and Zadorov for Cirelli and Cernak, do you have any comparables to suggest these contracts are not fair? Without one, you aren't gonna change my mind.
    Sep. 30, 2020 at 10:09 p.m.
    Ok.

TB trades a 1st and an AHL prospect for Goodrow and a 3rd. Goodrow scored a career high 26 pts in 70 games this year (8 goals) with 2 yrs of $925k cap hit.

TB trades a 1st and dumps Coburn (A depth D that only averaged 14 min for TB last season and was a healthy scratch through most of the playoffs and is overpaid $900k way too much for a depth D in TB) for Acciari, who scored 27 pts (20 goals!) at a cap hit of $833k for 2 years because Florida is retaining $833k for two seasons.

So in the first trade TB gets a 3rd back and adds an AHL guy. In the 2nd trade Florida takes on about $1.733M in year 1 and $833k in year two of salary, which is worth a 3rd if not more.

Now which UFA's aren't signing, oh I'm sorry all of them? So Maroon isn't taking a raise? Bogosian and Schenn won't sign for what they signed for last year? Lundqvist, Green, and Boyle (38, 37, and 35 respectively and have never won a cup) won't sign with the defending Stanley cup champs for what may be there last shot at winning? Are you aware of a thing called performance bonuses? Players on ELC's or 35+ are eligible for performance bonuses and every team is allowed to exceed the salary cap by 8% in performance bonuses. TB currently has no performance bonuses on their roster which means they have $6.52M available to give in performance bonuses to those three UFA's.

Everyone on this site always has to argue, but does not put any thought into there argument... it is tiring.

So to summarize tour arguement:
    - TB wont do that trade that they just did before winning a cup.
    - Washed up 35+ UFA's who have never won a cup aren't gonna sign in TB with the defending stanley cup champs, with the best taxes and weather in the NHL, and with a team that has $6.52M available to offer in performance bonuses because the market is just gonna be a crazy bidding war for these guys.

Seriously.

"7. Signed veterans who will want a chance at the cup to minimum contracts. Greene, Lundqvist, Boyle, etc. "

You never said you added bonuses.

And TBL isn't the only contender, there are other options for these guys. Those trades isn't the same thing.

In the Goodrow case:
    -Has one year left on his deal
    -$925K so it's a really good given his performance (it helps Tampa who don't have much cap space)
    -Prices go up at trade deadline

The 1st round pick was also going to be a late one (and it is) so it's kind of a 2nd. The 3rd is mid-round so in the end there isn't that much gap between that. That being said, advantage SJ.

In the Coburn-Acciari deal, Coburn can still be a #6 D and is at a reasonable price: $1.7M isn't much for a 6th/7th D. Acciari scored 20 goals but that doesn't make him a top6 player: he is a 4th liner on a really good team. Even if TBL get the better player, they only gain $850K or so, it's almost nothing compared to moving Gourde, Johnson or Killorn.

A 3rd+Coburn for Acciari at best.
    Sep. 30, 2020 at 10:20 p.m.
    Former Hockey Fan
    I dont want him either, because Lehkonen is better at 5 on 5 cheaper and younger, but i could still see Bergevin doing it.

Having said that, what did Killorn do?

Sep. 30, 2020 at 10:28 p.m.
    Habs 2010
    Quoting: bhavikp27
    "7. Signed veterans who will want a chance at the cup to minimum contracts. Greene, Lundqvist, Boyle, etc. "

You never said you added bonuses.

And TBL isn't the only contender, there are other options for these guys. Those trades isn't the same thing.

In the Goodrow case:
    -Has one year left on his deal
    -$925K so it's a really good given his performance (it helps Tampa who don't have much cap space)
    -Prices go up at trade deadline

The 1st round pick was also going to be a late one (and it is) so it's kind of a 2nd. The 3rd is mid-round so in the end there isn't that much gap between that. That being said, advantage SJ.

In the Coburn-Acciari deal, Coburn can still be a #6 D and is at a reasonable price: $1.7M isn't much for a 6th/7th D. Acciari scored 20 goals but that doesn't make him a top6 player: he is a 4th liner on a really good team. Even if TBL get the better player, they only gain $850K or so, it's almost nothing compared to moving Gourde, Johnson or Killorn.

A 3rd+Coburn for Acciari at best.

There is no need to specify performance bonuses, just as there is no need to argue over those guys signing in TB.

Goodrow case:
    - 1 year left on his deal
    - $925k
    - price goes up at deadline (for a hockey deal?) sure I'll leave it.

Acciari case:
    - 2 years left on his deal
    - $833k
    - FLA retaining $833k for two years and taking on Coburn's $1.7M contract so price goes up for TB (more so then "but its the deadline")

Its weird that you are saying Acciari is a 4th liner on a really good team, like what was Goodrow on TB??? ... a 4th liner. That did not stop them from trading a 1st round pick for him.

Both players were 4th liners there whole career until this season where there icetime changed from 11 to 12 minutes to 15 minutes. Both players set career high points in 26 and 27 in 70 games. Goodrow scored 8 goals while Acciari scored 20 (that has to matter). Goodrow also recieved 65% Dzone starts in Florida while putting up over 100 hits, and playing center. He even received a vote for the selke (not saying he deserved a selke but someone recognized his defensive contributions). He is exactly what TB would want for a 3C. If they can dump Coburn at the same time I'm sure they would do this deal.
    Sep. 30, 2020 at 10:31 p.m.
    Habs 2010
    Quoting: Kotkaniemi15

I guess it depends how strongly you feel about covid, to each there own, but I couldn't care less about what happened there haha, I thought it would be something much worse

Edit:
    Shouldn't say I couldn't care less, I would not do the same. I guess what I meant is I wouldn't hold it against him.
    Oct. 1, 2020 at 9:07 a.m.
    Boi
    Just buy out coby
    Oct. 1, 2020 at 11:19 a.m.
    Habs 2010
    Quoting: Bigboi69
    Just buy out coby

Carries a cap hit of $600k then, which is something tampa can't afford to have. Also TB would actually save $75k more buy sending Coburn to the AHL than buying him out, so buyout doesn't make sense. You can't play or trade a guy who is bought out.
    Oct. 1, 2020 at 11:21 a.m.
    Boi
    Carries a cap hit of $600k then, which is something tampa can't afford to have. Also TB would actually save $75k more buy sending Coburn to the AHL than buying him out, so buyout doesn't make sense. You can't play or trade a guy who is bought out.

He already doesn’t play
    Oct. 1, 2020 at 11:23 a.m.
    Habs 2010
    Quoting: Bigboi69
    He already doesn’t play

you've missed the point
    Oct. 1, 2020 at 6:32 p.m.
    Habs 2010
    Oct. 1, 2020 at 6:39 p.m.
    Former Hockey Fan

Oh man. This guy is insane.
    Shanesaw9 liked this.