RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LD
UFA - 3
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RD
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
G
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 7
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
LD/RD
RFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,800,000$1,800,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 2, 2020 at 1:15 p.m.
trust me... you dont want Murray, especially 5.5M
Xqb15a liked this.
Oct. 2, 2020 at 1:18 p.m.
Quoting: alpine4life
trust me... you dont want Murray, especially 5.5M

He's an odd one more than any other goalie. Definitely has struggled, but was a major role on two cups. IF he can get back on track its a steal, but its a gamble for sure
Xqb15a liked this.
Oct. 2, 2020 at 1:19 p.m.
That literally doesn’t address any needs for Calgary. Newhook+Timmins+1st would be more realistic for Johnny
Oct. 2, 2020 at 1:43 p.m.
This is a hot mess. To much term and money to Burakovsky. An INSANE contract to a goalie that has multiple concussions and last season was a sub .900 goalie. Using more assets to acquire a guy who disappears in the playoffs. Avs would be better literally doing nothing but signing their RFA’s and adding a winger like Toffoli or Hoffman.
Oct. 2, 2020 at 1:44 p.m.
Quoting: Alfie11
That literally doesn’t address any needs for Calgary. Newhook+Timmins+1st would be more realistic for Johnny

Calgary can keep him, no way the Avs give up that for a guy that disappears in the playoffs and is east coast bound in 2 yrs.
NMAvsFan liked this.
Oct. 2, 2020 at 1:54 p.m.

Johnny is not that good. I wouldnt do newhook 1 for 1
Oct. 2, 2020 at 1:56 p.m.
Quoting: Xqb15a
Calgary can keep him, no way the Avs give up that for a guy that disappears in the playoffs and is east coast bound in 2 yrs.

I really hate this narrative that he disappears in the playoffs. Sure he gets locked down more in the playoffs but he still creates plays, and any playmaker is gonna look bad if their linemates refuse to get open, or are unable to finish if they are. His shooting percentage even excluding the empty netter was what you would expect from him, you just generally expect him to get double or triple the amount of assists, which is more on the guys he's playing with since he was putting in the effort and creating some quality chances. Could he have been a little better? Maybe, but Johnny isn't the guy who should be blamed for the loss. On the Avs he's easily a 100+ point player consistently and without the pressure of having to run the entire offense solo he's sure to thrive. Also why does everyone expect him to leave for the east in 2 years just because he's from there? He's literally on the record as saying he loves Calgary and could see himself playing his whole career here, not everyone is desperate to go back where they came from, otherwise Toronto would have Stamkos and a plethora of other stars lmao, that's another narrative that makes absolutely no sense just in general. Another point--2 years is not a rental, that's a significant amount of time, you could literally win 2 cups with him even if he does end up walking after. Coleman essentially fetched two 1sts for a year and a bit, 2 full years at an affordable price tag of a star like Gaudreau would cost at least the package I mentioned and give the Avs easily the most dangerous offense in the league. Don't try to get a star for peanuts and then complain when he costs a significant amount.
Ansabch12 liked this.
Oct. 2, 2020 at 1:59 p.m.
Quoting: Goavs141
Johnny is not that good. I wouldnt do newhook 1 for 1

Christ this guy was 4th in Hart voting last year and y'all don't think he's worth a good prospect that went in the mid-1st and has yet to play an NHL game after a "down" season of a 68 point pace? That's legitimately insane
Oct. 2, 2020 at 2:18 p.m.
Pens
Pens accept
Oct. 2, 2020 at 3:04 p.m.
I really hate this narrative that he disappears in the playoffs. Sure he gets locked down more in the playoffs but he still creates plays, and any playmaker is gonna look bad if their linemates refuse to get open, or are unable to finish if they are. His shooting percentage even excluding the empty netter was what you would expect from him, you just generally expect him to get double or triple the amount of assists, which is more on the guys he's playing with since he was putting in the effort and creating some quality chances. Could he have been a little better? Maybe, but Johnny isn't the guy who should be blamed for the loss. On the Avs he's easily a 100+ point player consistently and without the pressure of having to run the entire offense solo he's sure to thrive. Also why does everyone expect him to leave for the east in 2 years just because he's from there? He's literally on the record as saying he loves Calgary and could see himself playing his whole career here, not everyone is desperate to go back where they came from, otherwise Toronto would have Stamkos and a plethora of other stars lmao, that's another narrative that makes absolutely no sense just in general. Another point--2 years is not a rental, that's a significant amount of time, you could literally win 2 cups with him even if he does end up walking after. Coleman essentially fetched two 1sts for a year and a bit, 2 full years at an affordable price tag of a star like Gaudreau would cost at least the package I mentioned and give the Avs easily the most dangerous offense in the league. Don't try to get a star for peanuts and then complain when he costs a significant amount.

100% disappears. Have never had a player change my thoughts on them as drastically as Gaudreau in the last 2 playoffs and in particular last year against the Avs, where he showed as much leadership and grit of a toddler having a tantrum. COL isn’t trading Newhook unless an elite C is coming back period. His upside as a legit 60-70 pt player on an ELC makes his value almost irreplaceable to the Avs. And how many times does it have to be explained Goodrow and Coleman fetched what they did almost as much for their contracts as their play as TBL was willing to overpay for that.
BDAvs liked this.
Oct. 2, 2020 at 3:29 p.m.
Mangiapane Goat
Flames decline. Fills none of our needs.
Oct. 2, 2020 at 3:54 p.m.
100% disappears. Have never had a player change my thoughts on them as drastically as Gaudreau in the last 2 playoffs and in particular last year against the Avs, where he showed as much leadership and grit of a toddler having a tantrum. COL isn’t trading Newhook unless an elite C is coming back period. His upside as a legit 60-70 pt player on an ELC makes his value almost irreplaceable to the Avs. And how many times does it have to be explained Goodrow and Coleman fetched what they did almost as much for their contracts as their play as TBL was willing to overpay for that.

Well if you actually think a 3rd liner is worth more than a 100pt threat who was a Hart contender last year then I guess you can't fix stupid. You're entitled to your opinion on Gaudreau I guess, even if you're completely missing the point by expecting him to be something he is not. He's an elite finesse playmaker, not a power forward, depth grinder, or defensive stalwart, his purpose is to run an effective offense and he's very good at that when surrounded with talent. You're also severely overrating a good prospect who has yet to play at the top level at all. Yakupov was considered elite due to his non-NHL numbers and that didn't translate, and now he's a bust and we haven't heard from him in years. Hughes was expected to put up 60-70 points as a rookie on his ELC and that didn't transpire either.
Oct. 2, 2020 at 4:10 p.m.
Well if you actually think a 3rd liner is worth more than a 100pt threat who was a Hart contender last year then I guess you can't fix stupid. You're entitled to your opinion on Gaudreau I guess, even if you're completely missing the point by expecting him to be something he is not. He's an elite finesse playmaker, not a power forward, depth grinder, or defensive stalwart, his purpose is to run an effective offense and he's very good at that when surrounded with talent. You're also severely overrating a good prospect who has yet to play at the top level at all. Yakupov was considered elite due to his non-NHL numbers and that didn't translate, and now he's a bust and we haven't heard from him in years. Hughes was expected to put up 60-70 points as a rookie on his ELC and that didn't transpire either.

You’re so reaching now. Gaudreau is exactly what you said and soft. He’s an awful fit because of that alone, albeit in vacuum with no cap do you want to add him sure but Avs are a hard pass. And really Yakupov had his detractors from before the draft see what Brian Burke had to say about him, but sure any prospect could whiff but the Avs believe in him enough he is basically untouchable. Also don’t take my retorts as anything more than me expressing my opinion, I do respect yours even if I don’t agree.
Oct. 2, 2020 at 4:46 p.m.
You’re so reaching now. Gaudreau is exactly what you said and soft. He’s an awful fit because of that alone, albeit in vacuum with no cap do you want to add him sure but Avs are a hard pass. And really Yakupov had his detractors from before the draft see what Brian Burke had to say about him, but sure any prospect could whiff but the Avs believe in him enough he is basically untouchable. Also don’t take my retorts as anything more than me expressing my opinion, I do respect yours even if I don’t agree.

Just because he doesn't hit doesn't make him bad though. Point and Kucherov don't play a physical game and look how successful they are. Johnny's literally never scored at less than a 65 point pace in his career. That's a pretty high floor and I don't get why people choose to ignore that, at the end of the day you win hockey games by scoring goals, and Johnny does a better job of making that happen than a guy like Coleman, or a prospect who has yet to play. If the Avs choose to go for broke and try to win a cup, Gaudreau on his affordable deal for the next two years gives them an incredible chance to do that, I can't see any team having a better top 6 than MacK/Rant/Landy/JG/Kadri/whoever. Injecting 65 points (probably more like 90+ on a team like the Avs) is something every team should be interested in adding. If he walks after that then he walks, but you likely have a ring or two. If Newhook takes 2 more years to develop (THN Future Watch projects him making the lineup in 2022-23, and I think it's safe to say he needs at least one more year of seasoning even if you disagree with that), Landeskog might be facing a drop off by then (he plays a physical style, look at the drop offs experienced by Benn/Simmonds around that age), and Kadri would be 32 as well. Avs window is clearly open right now if they get goaltending, and adding a threat like Johnny would be worth it to put them over the top. Maybe you sacrifice being good in 6 years by trading those prospects, but that can be fixed with good drafting/development in the coming years, and it's better to be a 1-time cup champ than just a top 4/8 team for a long time (ask the Sharks if they're happy with all their round 2 and conference finals appearances).
Oct. 2, 2020 at 5:07 p.m.
Just because he doesn't hit doesn't make him bad though. Point and Kucherov don't play a physical game and look how successful they are. Johnny's literally never scored at less than a 65 point pace in his career. That's a pretty high floor and I don't get why people choose to ignore that, at the end of the day you win hockey games by scoring goals, and Johnny does a better job of making that happen than a guy like Coleman, or a prospect who has yet to play. If the Avs choose to go for broke and try to win a cup, Gaudreau on his affordable deal for the next two years gives them an incredible chance to do that, I can't see any team having a better top 6 than MacK/Rant/Landy/JG/Kadri/whoever. Injecting 65 points (probably more like 90+ on a team like the Avs) is something every team should be interested in adding. If he walks after that then he walks, but you likely have a ring or two. If Newhook takes 2 more years to develop (THN Future Watch projects him making the lineup in 2022-23, and I think it's safe to say he needs at least one more year of seasoning even if you disagree with that), Landeskog might be facing a drop off by then (he plays a physical style, look at the drop offs experienced by Benn/Simmonds around that age), and Kadri would be 32 as well. Avs window is clearly open right now if they get goaltending, and adding a threat like Johnny would be worth it to put them over the top. Maybe you sacrifice being good in 6 years by trading those prospects, but that can be fixed with good drafting/development in the coming years, and it's better to be a 1-time cup champ than just a top 4/8 team for a long time (ask the Sharks if they're happy with all their round 2 and conference finals appearances).

Don’t disagree with any of that except Landeskog dropping off but why not just use cap space to sign Hall or even Toffoli or Hoffman and keep all your prospects?
Oct. 2, 2020 at 5:25 p.m.
Don’t disagree with any of that except Landeskog dropping off but why not just use cap space to sign Hall or even Toffoli or Hoffman and keep all your prospects?

You could do that, but Johnny is better than anyone available in free agency, and has a cap hit of only 6.75. Hall will demand at LEAST 7.5 if he signs for a discount, probably well north of 8 if he signed for the highest bidder, Hoff will probably want around 7, Toff would be a bit cheaper but he's a 2nd liner, not a 1st liner. All of those guys will want 5-7 years as well and maybe you don't want to commit to that kind of term when the last year or two might not be all that great. And the Landy dropping off isn't a guarantee of course, it's just a possibility looking at other stars that play a similar game, and he's already had some injury concerns. It could be that it doesn't happen at all (until he's in his mid- to late-30s of course) but this is a win-now move for a team that isn't far away, designed to get a ring this season, next, or both.
Oct. 2, 2020 at 7:15 p.m.
You could do that, but Johnny is better than anyone available in free agency, and has a cap hit of only 6.75. Hall will demand at LEAST 7.5 if he signs for a discount, probably well north of 8 if he signed for the highest bidder, Hoff will probably want around 7, Toff would be a bit cheaper but he's a 2nd liner, not a 1st liner. All of those guys will want 5-7 years as well and maybe you don't want to commit to that kind of term when the last year or two might not be all that great. And the Landy dropping off isn't a guarantee of course, it's just a possibility looking at other stars that play a similar game, and he's already had some injury concerns. It could be that it doesn't happen at all (until he's in his mid- to late-30s of course) but this is a win-now move for a team that isn't far away, designed to get a ring this season, next, or both.

You’re making almost a circular argument. I’ll give you Gaudreau is better than Toffoli and Hoffman, but not Hall. The other portion of it is those guys only cost cap space not resources AND cap space. UFA guys Looking for a 5-7 yr term deals in a flat cap environment are going to be looking for a long time, especially if they want to play with a contender.
Oct. 2, 2020 at 8:22 p.m.
You’re making almost a circular argument. I’ll give you Gaudreau is better than Toffoli and Hoffman, but not Hall. The other portion of it is those guys only cost cap space not resources AND cap space. UFA guys Looking for a 5-7 yr term deals in a flat cap environment are going to be looking for a long time, especially if they want to play with a contender.

Hall is 2 years older and more injury prone, with a lower career high in points, and a lower career average in points, and he’ll cost more considering he’s a UFA. The top guys won’t be taking discounts in a flat cap world, that’s not how life works, you pay for talent. In a regular office do you lay off the VPs or the grunts first? It’s the mid-range guys here that’ll get squeezed to around minimum (obv minimum guys can’t get squeezed, you still need a roster), the elite talent is still going to get paid regardless because that’s what wins championships. Guys won’t be taking a discount anyway, that’s being accounted for in the 10% deferral + 20% escrow that’s already been agreed upon, so they’ll still sign for market value (and still get overpaid, because that’s how unrestricted free agency works) as if this was a non-COVID year, because they’re already aware that they’re only going to be receiving 72% of their pre-tax earnings. Sure it only costs cap space, but it costs more cap space for Hall even if you consider him equal to Johnny, and Colorado still has RFAs like Burakovsky, Nichuskin, Graves, Jost, and Zadorov to sign, and that’s if they don’t address their goaltending at all.
Xqb15a liked this.
Oct. 2, 2020 at 10:15 p.m.
Hall is 2 years older and more injury prone, with a lower career high in points, and a lower career average in points, and he’ll cost more considering he’s a UFA. The top guys won’t be taking discounts in a flat cap world, that’s not how life works, you pay for talent. In a regular office do you lay off the VPs or the grunts first? It’s the mid-range guys here that’ll get squeezed to around minimum (obv minimum guys can’t get squeezed, you still need a roster), the elite talent is still going to get paid regardless because that’s what wins championships. Guys won’t be taking a discount anyway, that’s being accounted for in the 10% deferral + 20% escrow that’s already been agreed upon, so they’ll still sign for market value (and still get overpaid, because that’s how unrestricted free agency works) as if this was a non-COVID year, because they’re already aware that they’re only going to be receiving 72% of their pre-tax earnings. Sure it only costs cap space, but it costs more cap space for Hall even if you consider him equal to Johnny, and Colorado still has RFAs like Burakovsky, Nichuskin, Graves, Jost, and Zadorov to sign, and that’s if they don’t address their goaltending at all.

Good points except I think teams are going to be extra conservative because some teams do have cash flow issues because of the impact on owners core business’s and the fact they don’t know when they will be generating cash from gate revenue or even how much cash they will have to work with. Sure the TML and NYR of the world will be able to spend but they are going to be reticent to hand out longer term deals to non core players. For the Avs, they have $22M in cap space more than enough to sign their RDA’s and if they choose sign a Toffoli or move Zadorov and offer Hall a shorter deal in the $8-maybe $9M range for 2 or 3 yrs to win like he has said he wants to. As for the Avs goal tending issue Sakic has already said they will roll with the current tandem who barring bad luck with injuries they don’t have an issue. They are in the unique position of having cap space, assets to trade if they choose (Byram and Newhook aren’t getting traded period) or just roll it back with the same team which players like MacKinnon and Landeskog say they want to do. One thing Sakic won’t do is trade a short term shot that requires trading important young (read elc impact players) that hamstrings them during MacKinnon’s peak years. Do I think he is willing to part with guys like Jost, Zadorov, Nichushkin, Graves, Compher, Donskoi, one of the goalies draft picks (btw Sakic has never traded a 1st rd pick) and most prospects? Sure but he will roll the exact team back if he doesn’t get the exact deal he wants, and J.G. isn’t that type of guy.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll