Forums/Armchair-GM

So many bad Murray trades

Created by: pharrow
Team: 2020-21 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 30, 2020
Published: Oct. 3, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
A. They can easily afford him and simply wait.
B. Rumors are someone is going to tender him. In order to tender him at a rate he'd sign or that you'd actually get him from the penguins,, you are looking at compensation of a 1st and 3rd. So get over it people. To all the "I don't want murray" your teams GM doesn't care what you want. 8 Teams are reportedly in on him. 8. Because there are no 26 year old goal tenders with his level of play available and no one wants to sign an aging vet to a large long term deal.

To clear up the 3RD.
Maniscalco is the man. He signed as a UFA from the NCAA, he could have signed anywhere. He claimed "fit" read between the lines. Ice time. He is the plan. They like his game.
I don't think they are going out looking for a 3RD at this point.
If it doesn't work out they will look for defense later in the usual mid year shakeup.

The cost to dump JJ. is roughly a 2nd. 2.25 this year when buried. The buyout next year is 3.5 million over 4 years. 5.75..... Roughly the same cost what DET did with NY.
The penguins will wrap JJ with POJ.
There are multiple options. DET, TOR, OTT, basically any team looking for defense.
The question you have to ask, is do you pay out 3+ million in FA for an aging defense man of which there are few really good options and a massive need, especially at that cost.
OR, do you take the much younger player on an entry level contract, who you have control over for the next 5-6 years. Defense is always needed. And the demand is greater than the supply. A team with space trying to rebuild or deep pockets in need of defense is going to make a run at this.
POJ is clearly worth more than a 2nd, so additional compensation will come back the other way.

The only place I see this team making a move now is 3 or 4C. And only after they move Murray. Which will probably be before FA opens.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$3,000,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
4$4,000,000
Trades
PIT
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (EDM)
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$79,012,675$0$1,832,500$2,487,325
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,940,000$2,940,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
C, LW
RFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$800,000$800,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
UFA - 6
$853,333$853,333 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RD
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 3
$1,150,000$1,150,000
LD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
UFA - 4
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 3, 2020 at 6:29 a.m.
Buffbry
There's no way you are getting any assets back on a jj dump. It's jj + poj + 2022 3rd for erne or perlini which you can either sign or let their rights go. 3 year deal for a slug in a flat cap, cost cutting era is going to cost a lot. Good start with poj added to the deal though, I appreciate that. I saw your analysis at the top which is pretty good also, wings won't buy him out though, they will keep him up this year and most likely send him down for 2 more years. But I do like your rationale behind the buyout scenerio

As for murray, yzerman said he won't be using picks on a goalie and that they are going to be signing a backup in free agency. I know you didn't put him as a trade to the wings, I'm just reiterating what yzerman said, so taking is out of the equation.
Oct. 3, 2020 at 8:22 a.m.
Banned
Dude you're not getting a 2nd back for Jack Johnson not even close, You'd have to give us more then Johnson and Joseph to even get a conditional 7th round pick back. Johnson kills any deal you'd need to attach a 1st round pick or at least 2 2nds and a 3rd to get rid of that contract. Just burying him.
Oct. 3, 2020 at 8:36 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: buffbry
There's no way you are getting any assets back on a jj dump. It's jj + poj + 2022 3rd for erne or perlini which you can either sign or let their rights go. 3 year deal for a slug in a flat cap, cost cutting era is going to cost a lot. Good start with poj added to the deal though, I appreciate that. I saw your analysis at the top which is pretty good also, wings won't buy him out though, they will keep him up this year and most likely send him down for 2 more years. But I do like your rationale behind the buyout scenerio

As for murray, yzerman said he won't be using picks on a goalie and that they are going to be signing a backup in free agency. I know you didn't put him as a trade to the wings, I'm just reiterating what yzerman said, so taking is out of the equation.

Quoting: DiehardRedWingsFan58
Dude you're not getting a 2nd back for Jack Johnson not even close, You'd have to give us more then Johnson and Joseph to even get a conditional 7th round pick back. Johnson kills any deal you'd need to attach a 1st round pick or at least 2 2nds and a 3rd to get rid of that contract. Just burying him.

both your comments are laughable.
Have you looked at the FA market on defensemen?
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/top-nhl-ufas-position-looking-10-best-defencemen-available/
every one of them is basically 29-30 years old. All of them want long term contracts, at high value.

You can sit here with your heads in the clouds, but young defensemen capable of filling starting roles go at a premium.
POJ is worth more than the 1st he was drafted at, because he's been given the time to develop. He can play now, not wait.
JJ cost is a 2nd to dump.
The net return on that is going to be roughly a 2nd.
The penguins aren't pressed to trade JJ, they can buy him out. They don't care about the length, the team will be long dead before it will even matter.

Which means you can expect to pay if you want defensive help.
Oct. 3, 2020 at 8:40 a.m.
exo2769
I'm not so sure Murray signs that deal. Why wouldn't he test the UFA market for something better?
Oct. 3, 2020 at 8:41 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: pharrow
both your comments are laughable.
Have you looked at the FA market on defensemen?
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/top-nhl-ufas-position-looking-10-best-defencemen-available/
every one of them is basically 29-30 years old. All of them want long term contracts, at high value.

You can sit here with your heads in the clouds, but young defensemen capable of filling starting roles go at a premium.
POJ is worth more than the 1st he was drafted at, because he's been given the time to develop. He can play now, not wait.
JJ cost is a 2nd to dump.
The net return on that is going to be roughly a 2nd.
The penguins aren't pressed to trade JJ, they can buy him out. They don't care about the length, the team will be long dead before it will even matter.

Which means you can expect to pay if you want defensive help.

You're the laughable one here, If you honestly think that Jack Johnson fits into that tier i don't know what to say. Johnson right now isn't worth a roster spot and you sure aren't getting a 2nd for him that's not even remotely realistic here.
Oct. 3, 2020 at 8:42 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: exo2769
I'm not so sure Murray signs that deal. Why wouldn't he test the UFA market for something better?

Murrays a RFA, So how's he going to test the UFA market?
Oct. 3, 2020 at 8:49 a.m.
Banned

he has no market to test. Teams can offer sheet him. It would cost more than 4.3 million. Hence, 1st and 3rd round compensation.
Which is exactly the point.

They can afford to keep Murray. These horrible trade offers for him are a joke. They will keep him at that rate. Especially with the talk of how next season will be a lot of back to backs.
He's one of the best contracts for a goalie out there. No one wants to gamble on an aging goalie on a long term deal at high cap value. But anyone even decent that is what is going to be expected.
Oct. 3, 2020 at 8:51 a.m.
Banned
You're the laughable one here, If you honestly think that Jack Johnson fits into that tier i don't know what to say. Johnson right now isn't worth a roster spot and you sure aren't getting a 2nd for him that's not even remotely realistic here.

you are clue less if you think JJ is the one getting the second there.

You clearly don't understand the argument put forth.
POJ is worth more than a 1st. It cost a 2nd to move JJ. Period.
The 2nd coming back is the difference between those 2.
If you can't figure that out, get help.

You don't have many young 20 some defense men on cheap contracts who are ready to play in the NHL. Like none on the market.
Oct. 3, 2020 at 8:53 a.m.
exo2769

He's arb eligible.

October 10th is when players are allowed to elect for arbitration. He most certainly will because he has literally nothing to lose by doing it AND everything to gain.
October 12th is when they schedule the hearings.
November 12th is when all hearings are to be 100% finalized and teams must agree with whatever the arbitrator says...or let them walk and become a UFA.

What I'm getting at is...you'd need an arbitrator to say $4M is the salary. That's not close to realistic. arbitration does care about a flat cap. Seriously, it's a non-factor because it's the same cap hit as last year. What they do is compare other goalies, their accomplishments, and their contracts...and then make a ruling for Murray. He'll easily get $5.5M...I think $6.5M even $7M might be in the cards. Jim Rutherford is right about a few things when talking about Murray. He's 26 has 2 cups, and was a HUGE factor in each of those cups. I mean...Elvis Freakin' Merzlikins got a better contract than what's shown above. He's a rookie with ZERO accomplishments.
BStinson liked this.
Oct. 3, 2020 at 8:58 a.m.
Banned
He's arb eligible.

October 10th is when players are allowed to elect for arbitration. He most certainly will because he has literally nothing to lose by doing it AND everything to gain.
October 12th is when they schedule the hearings.
November 12th is when all hearings are to be 100% finalized and teams must agree with whatever the arbitrator says...or let them walk and become a UFA.

What I'm getting at is...you'd need an arbitrator to say $4M is the salary. That's not close to realistic. arbitration does care about a flat cap. Seriously, it's a non-factor because it's the same cap hit as last year. What they do is compare other goalies, their accomplishments, and their contracts...and then make a ruling for Murray. He'll easily get $5.5M...I think $6.5M even $7M might be in the cards. Jim Rutherford is right about a few things when talking about Murray. He's 26 has 2 cups, and was a HUGE factor in each of those cups. I mean...Elvis Freakin' Merzlikins got a better contract than this. He's a rookie with ZERO accomplishments.

Well yeah i totally agree he will get more then $4M per probably closer to $5M per on a 4 or 5 year deal. As a Wings fan i don't want Murray we're years away from competing and he's not going to help us one iota.
exo2769 liked this.
Oct. 3, 2020 at 9:22 a.m.
I think I agree with most of it but you are a bit optimistic about the cost to dump JJ it will be about the same as Marleau.
Oct. 3, 2020 at 9:22 a.m.
exo2769
Edited Oct. 3, 2020 at 9:32 a.m.
he has no market to test. Teams can offer sheet him. It would cost more than 4.3 million. Hence, 1st and 3rd round compensation.
Which is exactly the point.

They can afford to keep Murray. These horrible trade offers for him are a joke. They will keep him at that rate. Especially with the talk of how next season will be a lot of back to backs.
He's one of the best contracts for a goalie out there. No one wants to gamble on an aging goalie on a long term deal at high cap value. But anyone even decent that is what is going to be expected.

I understand that your fandome wants this to be true, but it's not. GMs and Agents know with more certainty than any of us what an arbitrator will award. It' might be +/- a little here or there, but they're not going to be even $500k off let alone $1M+. There's ZERO reason why a team would offer up any kind of serious assets for a player than could seriously become a UFA. $4M is not realistic. You tell me out of the guys below who's had more accomplishments.

Binnington - rookie - cup winner - 2 years $4.4M
Elvis - rookie zero accomplishments - 2 years $4M
Darcy - 1 year out of 8 where he was 5th in Vezina voting - 2 years $4.5M *contract awarded before this year
Lehner - 1 year out of 10 where he was 3rd in Vezina - 1 year $5M
Valromov - 1 year out of 12 where he was 2nd in Vezina - 4 years $5M
Koskinen - zero accomplishments - 3 years - $4.5M
Raanta - zero accomplishments - 3 years $4.25M

Matt Murray - 1st team NHL all rookie - 2 Stanley cups with a .937 and .923 SV%... My predication is an arbitrator will award him a 2 year - $6M
Oct. 3, 2020 at 9:47 a.m.
Banned
I understand that your fandome wants this to be true, but it's not. GMs and Agents know with more certainty than any of us what an arbitrator will award. It' might be +/- a little here or there, but they're not going to be even $500k off let alone $1M+. There's ZERO reason why a team would offer up any kind of serious assets for a player than could seriously become a UFA. $4M is not realistic. You tell me out of the guys below who's had more accomplishments.

Binnington - rookie - cup winner - 2 years $4.4M
Elvis - rookie zero accomplishments - 2 years $4M
Darcy - 1 year out of 8 where he was 5th in Vezina voting - 2 years $4.5M *contract awarded before this year
Lehner - 1 year out of 10 where he was 3rd in Vezina - 1 year $5M
Valromov - 1 year out of 12 where he was 2nd in Vezina - 4 years $5M
Koskinen - zero accomplishments - 3 years - $4.5M
Raanta - zero accomplishments - 3 years $4.25M

Matt Murray - 1st team NHL all rookie - 2 Stanley cups with a .937 and .923 SV%... My predication is an arbitrator will award him a 2 year - $6M

we won't get 6 million. that's just nuts.
He's going to end up in the 4-5 range. This is a covid world. There is a flat cap. It's a bad time to be a FA.
But thank you for proving the point. The offer sheet on him will be greater than the amount needed for a 1st and 3rd. And that is all that really matters. Because that sets the market value on him.
The penguins don't have to be in a hurry. Furthermore, they can easily make the cap work, much like they did with MP. Where they gave him a QO deal of 800 some thousand and then gave him his pay day later in the season. Balancing it all out.
They can do the same with Jarry.
So please stop pretending they can't sign both. They can.
His trade value is at minimum a 1st. It's probably more.
Oct. 3, 2020 at 9:48 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: TheOtherAuston
I think I agree with most of it but you are a bit optimistic about the cost to dump JJ it will be about the same as Marleau.

no it won't. Marleau had complete control on the situation. JJ has none.
That makes a huge difference.
Oct. 3, 2020 at 10:31 a.m.
exo2769
we won't get 6 million. that's just nuts.
He's going to end up in the 4-5 range. This is a covid world. There is a flat cap. It's a bad time to be a FA.
But thank you for proving the point. The offer sheet on him will be greater than the amount needed for a 1st and 3rd. And that is all that really matters. Because that sets the market value on him.
The penguins don't have to be in a hurry. Furthermore, they can easily make the cap work, much like they did with MP. Where they gave him a QO deal of 800 some thousand and then gave him his pay day later in the season. Balancing it all out.
They can do the same with Jarry.
So please stop pretending they can't sign both. They can.
His trade value is at minimum a 1st. It's probably more.

My man, I'm seriously trying to help you so that you can learn. Right now you're just saying JR is going to screw everyone over because he's JR and everyone should help PIT. The minimum Qualifying offer PIT can offer is $3,750,000 because that was his previous contract. Murray's not going to accept that. Why would he? He can always accept that later after arbitration. There's nothing stopping him from signing a smaller deal. But again what's stopping him from filing for arbitration? He's already giving PIT the hometown discount. That was his last contract. Now it's his turn to get paid.

The 2nd part is this is the single worst goalie market in the history of the NHL. Just because someone gets X amount of money doesn't mean they're worth it and it doesn't mean they have the cap space avialable. You can't just say this is the offer sheet value so that's what they're worth. Do you think Seabs is worth a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd? No. I can understand that.

Think about the timing now. UFAs open up October 9th. Lost of teams will start to figure out their situations. Probably not 100% of them, but alot of them. So the already worst goalie market in history is going to get even worse by the time JR even knows what his options are for Murray. Do you honestly think you'll get "fair value" when there's only one team looking?
BStinson liked this.
Oct. 3, 2020 at 10:36 a.m.
no it won't. Marleau had complete control on the situation. JJ has none.
That makes a huge difference.

That doesn't affect it at all, in the end he decided to do it.. he knew he was never going to play for Carolina and be bought out and that would have been the outcome regardless of the team he went to.
Oct. 3, 2020 at 10:38 a.m.
exo2769
That doesn't affect it at all, in the end he decided to do it.. he knew he was never going to play for Carolina and be bought out and that would have been the outcome regardless of the team he went to.

No, He's right. It does matter a lot. It's true everyone knew he was going to be bought out, but now Dubas have to find a team that's willing to do exactly specifically what Marleau is saying...which means the team that acquiring Marleau has a severe upper had in trade negotiations. They know they can dictate terms because CAR was literally the only option for Dubas. When you're negotiating with 1 team and 1 team only...how can Dubas win? He can't and didn't
Oct. 3, 2020 at 11:06 a.m.
My man, I'm seriously trying to help you so that you can learn. Right now you're just saying JR is going to screw everyone over because he's JR and everyone should help PIT. The minimum Qualifying offer PIT can offer is $3,750,000 because that was his previous contract. Murray's not going to accept that. Why would he? He can always accept that later after arbitration. There's nothing stopping him from signing a smaller deal. But again what's stopping him from filing for arbitration? He's already giving PIT the hometown discount. That was his last contract. Now it's his turn to get paid.

The 2nd part is this is the single worst goalie market in the history of the NHL. Just because someone gets X amount of money doesn't mean they're worth it and it doesn't mean they have the cap space avialable. You can't just say this is the offer sheet value so that's what they're worth. Do you think Seabs is worth a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd? No. I can understand that.

Think about the timing now. UFAs open up October 9th. Lost of teams will start to figure out their situations. Probably not 100% of them, but alot of them. So the already worst goalie market in history is going to get even worse by the time JR even knows what his options are for Murray. Do you honestly think you'll get "fair value" when there's only one team looking?

This is a very accurate picture of this situation. Murry has zero incentive to give the Pens anything, he is arb eligible and can use that to take a short term contract to take him to UFA. He knows he is looking at a contract in the 4 to 6 million dollar range for one/two years, he isnt going to be giving the pens any kind of leverage over that. That is why I am not a fan of the Red Wings trading for him, he isnt signing longer term coming off his worse season and the flat cap, he is better off taking a short deal to UFA and taking on the open market with the hopeful rebound in revenue.

As for JJ to the wings I dont get why they would pay any sort of "market" rate for him, they can target other teams in cap hell before giving up a high pick. They have already come out and said they are not trading picks this year and are hopeful to add more. Even for a prospect like POJ they would take the the deal like JJ/POJ without the pick given up. They simply are not in the market for giving up long term assets even if they are getting other long term assets. For the Wings there is too many teams looking to shed cap that can giving them more without them giving up anything. Unless they believe that POJ is a top pairing D, then maybe they do it but I dont think anyone other then Pen fans think that, most see him a solid 2nd pairing.
exo2769 and BStinson liked this.
Oct. 3, 2020 at 11:34 a.m.
No, He's right. It does matter a lot. It's true everyone knew he was going to be bought out, but now Dubas have to find a team that's willing to do exactly specifically what Marleau is saying...which means the team that acquiring Marleau has a severe upper had in trade negotiations. They know they can dictate terms because CAR was literally the only option for Dubas. When you're negotiating with 1 team and 1 team only...how can Dubas win? He can't and didn't

I disagree, it didn't matter to Marleau what team bought him out. Because he knew he was going back to SJ and I'm sure there were other teams also trying to get that first rounder and probably something else so they went with Carolina. Also Carolina didn't want to buy him out they tried discussing him playing for them. At the end of the day it comes down to cap budget and with a flat cap and owners tell GM's to drop internal salary it drives up the price for dump contracts to be moved.
Oct. 3, 2020 at 11:40 a.m.
exo2769
I disagree, it didn't matter to Marleau what team bought him out. Because he knew he was going back to SJ and I'm sure there were other teams also trying to get that first rounder and probably something else so they went with Carolina. Also Carolina didn't want to buy him out they tried discussing him playing for them. At the end of the day it comes down to cap budget and with a flat cap and owners tell GM's to drop internal salary it drives up the price for dump contracts to be moved.

But how many teams would have said yes to buying him out? If there was just a second team...only one other team willing to do so. Wouldn't you think Dubas could have offered less?
Oct. 3, 2020 at 11:44 a.m.
But how many teams would have said yes to buying him out? If there was just a second team...only one other team willing to do so. Wouldn't you think Dubas could have offered less?

That's kind of what I'm saying I think carolina is the team that wanted less. Another team probably made the same offer but with an asset also attached to the first (prospect)
Oct. 3, 2020 at 12:01 p.m.

It was rumored Detroit was willing to do it for the first but Dubas didn’t want to do the deal in division.
exo2769 liked this.
Oct. 3, 2020 at 12:20 p.m.
Banned

you don't seem to get it. They don't have to decide, only make the QO and wait. Arbitration will take weeks if not months for them to deal with it. In the mean time they can trade him.
Yes teams will make moves at goalie. For everyone signed that is of any value there is a spot opened somewhere else.
The market is not that great. Believe me teams aren't looking to sign older goalies to long term deals, and none of them are taking discounts either. You get a guy at 26 is much better than getting one at 31 on deals with term.

This is why people are talking about someone OSing him. Because if you are going to get into a contract, it's better to get into one of a younger guy coming into his prime than deal with a 31 year old guy on a long term deal.

They only need to wait and then trade. As the few decent options in goalie disappear like have started, then teams will get more desperate.
Oct. 3, 2020 at 12:21 p.m.
Banned

every TOR fan knows that's bs.
Even they stated that.
Oct. 3, 2020 at 12:22 p.m.
exo2769
you don't seem to get it. They don't have to decide, only make the QO and wait. Arbitration will take weeks if not months for them to deal with it. In the mean time they can trade him.
Yes teams will make moves at goalie. For everyone signed that is of any value there is a spot opened somewhere else.
The market is not that great. Believe me teams aren't looking to sign older goalies to long term deals, and none of them are taking discounts either. You get a guy at 26 is much better than getting one at 31 on deals with term.

This is why people are talking about someone OSing him. Because if you are going to get into a contract, it's better to get into one of a younger guy coming into his prime than deal with a 31 year old guy on a long term deal.

They only need to wait and then trade. As the few decent options in goalie disappear like have started, then teams will get more desperate.

I don't believe you at all. Just look at what's going on right now. MIN is looking to sign Hank over trading for Murray. Listen to you're own beat writers. Anyone that knows what they're talking about knows this is a complete S show for Murray.

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ryan-Wilson/Henrik-Lundqvist-throws-a-big-wrench-in-the-potential-Matt-Murray-market/177/107682

***EDIT*** BUT it does only take one stupid GM to make a trade. I 100% get that. Look at what JR gave up for KK.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll