SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Anaheim Ducks

What a Draft

Oct. 8, 2020 at 3:35 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
In my opinion, this draft went as well as we could ever have expected. Once we were able to select Jamie Drysdale at #6, I don't mind missing Helge Grans at #27 because Jacob Perreault could turn into another Brock Boeser, and the guys we chose in the third and fourth rounds (Ian Moore and Thimo Nickl) could turn out to be viable NHL RDs, too. And I was thrilled to get Sam Colangelo at #36.

What does everyone else think?
BuckoJoyde and Salzy liked this.
Oct. 9, 2020 at 10:22 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
@BuckoJoyde
@Lenny7
@Salzy
@Jah1722
@Swedenheim
@DucksFan55
@Arlotti47
@DarkShadowZz

Don't "Quote" this or else we'll all get re-tagged
DucksFan55 and LosPatos liked this.
Oct. 9, 2020 at 10:44 a.m.
Dont think the draft could have gone any better for us honestly.

RHD was a major need and we added the best one in the draft with Drysdale. Moore is a very, very nice under the radar prospect who I had my eye on pre-draft as a late round target, love getting him round 3 and Nickl is a smooth skating rush defender with a long stick who already has NHL size at age 18

RW was arguably our second biggest need and we added to that in a big way with Perreault who is exactly what the doctors were prescribing to us and I have confidence in a top line of
Comtois-Zegras-Perreault in the future. Colangelo is a very nice addition and brings us someone I like to classify as a "Bob Murray Guy" (which is a good thing) a Smart, defensively strong power forward.

Then our later round guys in Sundsvik, has a very quick shot/release which is something that is hard to teach and learn, loves to jump in on the forecheck, needs to round out his game, but a very nice 6th rounder "project" type player

Then we get to a Russian?! The drought since Chistov is over tears of joy Galimov is "Old" for a draftee being 21 already but that doesnt take away from the player he is. Always seems to know the next option when he receives, which helps him create quicker and cleaner transitions. When Galimov's defensive assignments are clear, he can stick to his check and deny passes coming to him. Had 23 points in 55 games as a 20 YO in the KHL and has 7 points in 12 games this year. Seems like the definition of a lottery ticket to me but I'm a big fan of this pick

Overall I'd give the draft class an "A", filled our biggest needs without reaching on anyone which creates a perfect storm for a rebuilding team. Filling needs with the best available overall player on the board. (Can argue Moore wasnt) Great, Great job by Murray, Madden and the front office
BuckoJoyde, OldNYIfan, DucksFan55 and 1 other person liked this.
Oct. 9, 2020 at 10:46 a.m.
Being wrong is ok
I gave us a B+. Love all the selections but it plays it a lil too safe.

Then again, despite Drysdale's high floor I see a project. But nothing too major and really shouldn't get in the way of how we should think about this selection. BPA imo

Perrault was clutch to put it simply. Huge value at 27. See his game being able to translate quickly. Does flat out puck watch or abandon checks at times. But kid can score genos.

Sam Colangelo was the fair pick despite me pulling for other players like Marat Khusnutdinov. Another right handed shot that can score at the level he plays rn. Look forward to seeing him play in college.

Everyone likes Ian Moore. I dont watch or know prep so Im clueless. 6'3 RHD its a need not bpa I think. I saw players like Ty Smilanic available and wish we considered.

No clue about the others.

Nonetheless, no real complaints. All decisions were very reasonable and will help our future. Do see us needing another lottery pick tho.
Salzy, OldNYIfan and DucksFan55 liked this.
Oct. 9, 2020 at 2:00 p.m.
Haven't seen anyone give us a grade lower than a B+. Players like Drysdale and Perrault are exactly what the big club is missing (legit 1 D who can dictate pace and impact on the PP and then a pure goal scoring sniper). I think this draft has chance to be really special with the value Moore, Nickl, and possibly Galimov could provide. It seems encouraging that we seem to be taking more swings on upside and not just settling for our usual high floor guys. We seemed to fill a bunch of organizational needs too with both RWs and RDs. I'm excited, should be interesting to see what moves are made over the next few days.
OldNYIfan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll