SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Ottawa Senators signed Matt Murray (4 Years / $6,250,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Oct. 9, 2020 at 2:45 p.m.
Ottawa has to get to the cap floor guys. They have to pay people
Oct. 9, 2020 at 2:49 p.m.
Serf
Quoting: drewjenkins
He would have saved you the entire trade package and given you an extra 2nd round pick for free.

And he would have been off the books when all your ELC are due big raises.

Ottawa is not competing for anything in the next 2-3 years.

Being off the books midway through the window is not a positive. The money you open up would be used to overpay for a “now” goalie during the Senators window. The second round pick has value, but is an easy give to get a solid young goalie.

If you don’t think Ottawa will be playoff bound in the next 1-2 years is fine, opinions vary.
Oct. 9, 2020 at 2:51 p.m.
Quoting: HabsForEver
Murray has never put up the numbers that warrant this contract. Now he goes to a basement team with no defense. I wish him luck.

To be fair, he played the last two years behind jack johnson and justin shultz on one leg for 20 minutes a game
Oct. 9, 2020 at 2:56 p.m.
So, you replace a Bobby Ryan contract wth a Matt Murray contract. Pierre Dorion may have done very well with this rebuid, but his contract signing is gawd awful
Oct. 9, 2020 at 2:58 p.m.
Quoting: willdog37
Ottawa has to get to the cap floor guys. They have to pay people

I just think they would have been better off picking up someone else's bad contract and getting prospects back. Like Alzner, for instance, or Turris before he was bought out
Oct. 9, 2020 at 2:58 p.m.
That is a ton of money to give a guy that was very not good last year.
Oct. 9, 2020 at 3:05 p.m.
Quoting: sensibleguy
Being off the books midway through the window is not a positive. The money you open up would be used to overpay for a “now” goalie during the Senators window. The second round pick has value, but is an easy give to get a solid young goalie.

If you don’t think Ottawa will be playoff bound in the next 1-2 years is fine, opinions vary.

There is no "window" that hit's a midway point in two years.

Anisimov and White are the only signed forwards that aren't on an ELC.

I don't even know what to say.
Oct. 9, 2020 at 3:15 p.m.
Go Jets Go
Edited Oct. 9, 2020 at 3:31 p.m.
Ottawa must think he will be good next year.
sensibleguy liked this.
Oct. 9, 2020 at 3:28 p.m.
Serf
Quoting: drewjenkins
There is no "window" that hit's a midway point in two years.

Anisimov and White are the only signed forwards that aren't on an ELC.

I don't even know what to say.

I don’t understand what you’re trying to say? Teams have windows to compete. Hockey has a cycle between building, competing, restructuring, soft tear downs, hard tear downs, rebuilds. Some are longer than others, some shorter. The Senators window to compete is the next 4 years+, but I’m only going to talk about the next 4 years because there’s too many variables beyond that.

Who cares how many players are currently on ELC, I was referring to the draft picks chosen in the 2020 draft.

I’m not sure what the issue is here. You don’t like the contract, fine. You don’t like the player, fine, you don’t like the team, fine. You don’t like my opinion, fine.

Move on, I’m not convincing you, you’re not convincing me.
Oct. 9, 2020 at 3:44 p.m.
GM67
Ever since Matt Murray WON his 2nd Stanley Cup he just can't seem to win BUT he Scored BIG here with a 25 Million Dollar Contract. Yes it's an OVERPAYMENT for how he is currently playing in the pipes BUT he has the chance to either FIX what needs to be fixed OR it could mark him as Grossly overpaid. It's up to Matt Murray himself at this point. He has the tools with his size and flexibility and he has LOTS of money now to train and make sure his game is up to speed for an Ottawa Senators team that is CLEARLY on the rise. I was thinking 5.5 per and at 5 years so I guess this works out to be about the same. I personally wouldn't have signed him for this much but hey MY team is the Pittsburgh Penguins and he helped us win TWO Stanley Cups but we have the better goalie in Tristan Jarry now so I love it. Congratulations Matt you have worked hard and have produced but I would encourage you to work on that damn glove, stay further out of your net and QUIT doing an RVH on the posts when a shooter is down low on the goal line! IT DOES NOT WORK! Let's go SENS and LET'S GO PENS!
sensibleguy liked this.
Oct. 9, 2020 at 3:48 p.m.
No wonder teams in need of a goalie we’re avoiding Murray. I get it though, he’s got two cups so it’s time to get paid. Dubnyk Is looking really good right now...
Jul. 7, 2022 at 5:33 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith

Jul. 7, 2022 at 6:52 p.m.
If Ottawa was going to overpay for a goalie, they should have just traded for Bob from Florida.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit