RD
NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 12, 2020 at 12:21 a.m.
Kings didn't need Dermott before they traded for Maatta. They especially don't need him now.
Oct. 12, 2020 at 12:25 a.m.
Me
Quoting: tkecanuck341
Kings didn't need Dermott before they traded for Maatta. They especially don't need him now.

Kings could really be any team who’s interested. They’re just the first terribly defensive team that came to mind who could use a future top four defensemen (Maata is not that)
Oct. 12, 2020 at 12:39 a.m.
Quoting: Leafsleaks123
Kings could really be any team who’s interested. They’re just the first terribly defensive team that came to mind who could use a future top four defensemen (Maata is not that)

The Kings aren't terrible defensively. They're average defensively (14th best in the NHL in GA/GP last season). They don't need Maatta for the future. Just for one year to hold the fort while Bjornfot develops and to satisfy the expansion draft exposure requirement next summer. I wouldn't be surprised if LA gives up an asset to get Seattle to take him.

Dermott is not better than Bjornfot or Anderson. He's roughly equivalent to Clague. If he was on waivers, the Kings might take a flyer on him to provoke some competition for that 3LD role. They're not about two give up two quality draft picks for him though.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Oct. 12, 2020 at 12:39 a.m.
themostleaf33
The whole point of Florida trading Weegar is that they can't afford him. He wants 3+ mill and they don't have the cap to give him that. So my point is that it does not make sense for them to trade Weegar and bring in more cap then they would have given to him. Kerfoot+Holl is already 5.5 million in which is 2-2.5 more then they would give Weegar. If you want to give up someone cheap like Dermott or Engvall that is fine, but Florida likely doesn't take anything more then 1.5 million back. Understand?
OldNYIfan liked this.
Oct. 12, 2020 at 8:32 a.m.
Me
Quoting: themostleaf33
The whole point of Florida trading Weegar is that they can't afford him. He wants 3+ mill and they don't have the cap to give him that. So my point is that it does not make sense for them to trade Weegar and bring in more cap then they would have given to him. Kerfoot+Holl is already 5.5 million in which is 2-2.5 more then they would give Weegar. If you want to give up someone cheap like Dermott or Engvall that is fine, but Florida likely doesn't take anything more then 1.5 million back. Understand?

Why would Florida sign a far worse player in Gudas for 2.5 mil if they can just have Weegar for an extra 500k-1million
Oct. 12, 2020 at 8:44 a.m.
Me
The Kings aren't terrible defensively. They're average defensively (14th best in the NHL in GA/GP last season). They don't need Maatta for the future. Just for one year to hold the fort while Bjornfot develops and to satisfy the expansion draft exposure requirement next summer. I wouldn't be surprised if LA gives up an asset to get Seattle to take him.

Dermott is not better than Bjornfot or Anderson. He's roughly equivalent to Clague. If he was on waivers, the Kings might take a flyer on him to provoke some competition for that 3LD role. They're not about two give up two quality draft picks for him though.

I’m not a Kings fan, but as far as I know, your current left side is Maata, Joakim Ryan, and Kurtis MacDermid? That seems pretty terrible to me. And yes, Dermott is better then all three of those guys and he is also better Bjornfot and Anderson cause neither of those guys were able to make that left side last year. There’s nothing wrong with having depth, and if all those “stud prospects” if you want to call them that, make the NHL next year, you can move Dermott to the right side where he plays sometimes.
Oct. 12, 2020 at 12:41 p.m.
I’m not a Kings fan, but as far as I know, your current left side is Maata, Joakim Ryan, and Kurtis MacDermid? That seems pretty terrible to me. And yes, Dermott is better then all three of those guys and he is also better Bjornfot and Anderson cause neither of those guys were able to make that left side last year. There’s nothing wrong with having depth, and if all those “stud prospects” if you want to call them that, make the NHL next year, you can move Dermott to the right side where he plays sometimes.

No, this season, the Kings defense will be Marta, Anderson, and Clague/MacDermid on the left and Doughty, Walker, and Roy on the right. Ryan is a UFA and won't be returning.

In 2020-21, assuming the Kings do incentivize Seattle to take Maatta, the Kings left side will be Bjornfot, Anderson, and Clague/Hults. The right side will not have changed.

There's a difference between not being good enough to make the team and not being ready for the NHL. Bjornfot is 19 years old and already the best defenseman on the Reign. He played a handful of games in the NHL at the beginning of last season on Doughty's pair and didn't look out of place. Doughty raved about the kid in media interviews. They don't want to rush his development. The Kings weren't in a position to make the playoffs, so they allowed him the proper time to develop in the AHL. He is significantly better than Dermott. I project him to be the next Captain of the Kings.

The Kings had Forbort and Martinez last year, so they actually had some good options on the left side. After both those guys were traded at the deadline, Anderson stepped in and looked real good, and was one of the key reasons why the Kings had the 7-game win streak at the end of the season. He's the long term 2LD going forward. Dermott is not better than him.

Dermott is likely on par with MacDermid and Clague, both quality options for the roster this year. Like Dermott, Clague has played both sides, as Ontario has been short on RHD in recent seasons. Clague mostly played on the right in the AHL. That versatility makes him a desirable option to have on the team.

I'm not even going to get into the RHD, as all three of the Kings current right defense are significantly better than Dermott.

I agree that there's nothing wrong with having depth, and the Kings would take a look at Dermott if he cost a 4th round pick or so. However, for the price you listed, the Kings have no interest at all.
Oct. 12, 2020 at 2:28 p.m.
Me
No, this season, the Kings defense will be Marta, Anderson, and Clague/MacDermid on the left and Doughty, Walker, and Roy on the right. Ryan is a UFA and won't be returning.

In 2020-21, assuming the Kings do incentivize Seattle to take Maatta, the Kings left side will be Bjornfot, Anderson, and Clague/Hults. The right side will not have changed.

There's a difference between not being good enough to make the team and not being ready for the NHL. Bjornfot is 19 years old and already the best defenseman on the Reign. He played a handful of games in the NHL at the beginning of last season on Doughty's pair and didn't look out of place. Doughty raved about the kid in media interviews. They don't want to rush his development. The Kings weren't in a position to make the playoffs, so they allowed him the proper time to develop in the AHL. He is significantly better than Dermott. I project him to be the next Captain of the Kings.

The Kings had Forbort and Martinez last year, so they actually had some good options on the left side. After both those guys were traded at the deadline, Anderson stepped in and looked real good, and was one of the key reasons why the Kings had the 7-game win streak at the end of the season. He's the long term 2LD going forward. Dermott is not better than him.

Dermott is likely on par with MacDermid and Clague, both quality options for the roster this year. Like Dermott, Clague has played both sides, as Ontario has been short on RHD in recent seasons. Clague mostly played on the right in the AHL. That versatility makes him a desirable option to have on the team.

I'm not even going to get into the RHD, as all three of the Kings current right defense are significantly better than Dermott.

I agree that there's nothing wrong with having depth, and the Kings would take a look at Dermott if he cost a 4th round pick or so. However, for the price you listed, the Kings have no interest at all.

You seem to think the kings defence is elite or something. Doughty and Roy are the only above average defensemen they have
Oct. 12, 2020 at 2:46 p.m.
You seem to think the kings defence is elite or something. Doughty and Roy are the only above average defensemen they have

Walker is better than Roy. Roy had a quality season, but he's not better than Walker.

I don't think the Kings defense is elite. As I said in my previous post, I think the Kings defense is average. Bjornfot is going to be a high quality defenseman in this league, and Anderson is a solid 2nd pairing guy. All of the LHD the Kings have are young and making their way into the NHL, which is why they went out and acquired Maatta. They need a veteran to hold down the fort while the Kings get experience.

Dermott does not make the Kings defense better. The Kings average defense is definitely better than the Leafs' below-average defense, so I'm not sure how their cast-offs would make the Kings better.
Oct. 12, 2020 at 8:58 p.m.
Me
Walker is better than Roy. Roy had a quality season, but he's not better than Walker.

I don't think the Kings defense is elite. As I said in my previous post, I think the Kings defense is average. Bjornfot is going to be a high quality defenseman in this league, and Anderson is a solid 2nd pairing guy. All of the LHD the Kings have are young and making their way into the NHL, which is why they went out and acquired Maatta. They need a veteran to hold down the fort while the Kings get experience.

Dermott does not make the Kings defense better. The Kings average defense is definitely better than the Leafs' below-average defense, so I'm not sure how their cast-offs would make the Kings better.

No way you just said the leafs significantly improved defence is worse then the kings

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll