SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Vegas Golden Knights signed Alex Pietrangelo (7 Years / $8,800,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Oct. 13, 2020 at 8:24 a.m.
Hockey/Caps fan
John Carlson getting 8mil per year. Petro is worth this, Vegas salary cap woes aside.
In other news - Nate Schmidt to Van for a 3rd...
OldNYIfan liked this.
Oct. 13, 2020 at 8:36 a.m.
Watches no games
Quoting: yikes
@MelonVK splash

After they traded an equally good defenseman on a better contract for a 3rd rounder. I'm never going to convince you - but you said the Stastny trade set them up for a splash, and it didn't. The trades of both Stastny and Schmidt did.
Oct. 13, 2020 at 8:44 a.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: Brian2016
Then how do you explain BOS, STL, WASH, & PIT? None of these teams have state/provincial tax exemptions and all have built balanced championship teams w/ great cap management and depth at every position. TOR has failed miserably at cap management, tax or no tax.

Screenshot-2020-10-13-084310.png
Oct. 13, 2020 at 9:09 a.m.
I woke up this morning pissed off. It is. This whole thing was stupid.

You have to start with the Faulk deal. First, it was totally unnecessary. The brass clearly had enough of Edmundson after the arbitration hearing and wanted to move on. Fine. But WTF man? You trade for and extend a 3rd pairing D-man at $6.5 AAV? Army handcuffed himself right out of the gate with no reason to. And Pietrengelo took it for what it likely was: a leverage play and a failsafe if he didn't get re-signed. It was a jab in the ribs to him. Right out of the gate before the year even started Army sending a shot across the bow for no reason.

Plenty of this is Pietrangelo too. How sincere were his public comments about wanting to stay? Because at the end of the day (like I said above) it appeared to me that Armstrong was willing to get up into the $8 AAV range and offer some NMC protection, some signing bonus and the 8th year on the deal and Petro said no. Did Petro not really want to stay that badly? Did the Faulk situation already burn that bridge? Was Petro's agent just driving the ship and he wouldn't take anything less than the full NMC and full signing bonus money?

Here's what I know: Alex Pietrangelo is an elite defenseman in this league. He's stayed healthy, he can play every situation and he's a top 5 defenseman who logs a ton of minutes. Every metric I've seen says it can be expected he'll stay elite for the next three years (coincidentally probably our window to win again with the rest of this roster). Probably start to decline after that. You keep your elite players. Army f***ed this up. Arguably, the Faulk trade and extension was the end of it. You can make that argument. Army handcuffed himself from offering more money, and it also alienated Petro immediately. Then, not to his credit, Petro played hardball right back, was totally inflexible and that was that.

You keep your elite players. All of this could have been avoided. I don't think it's any question this team is worse today than it was a week ago. Army would apparently rather have 2-3 average or above average D-men than 1 slightly overpaid elite stud. Parayko can't defend all by himself.

Maybe I'm putting too much weight on the Faulk trade and extension. But I don't think I am.

Vegas immediately becomes top 2 in the NHL with Tampa, and arguably the favorite to win the cup. The blues window might be closed. I hope it isn't. But it might be.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Oct. 13, 2020 at 9:57 a.m.
holcomb68
Will this deal even be approved with the current cap situation? Thought there were rules?
Oct. 13, 2020 at 9:59 a.m.
Quoting: holcomb68
Will this deal even be approved with the current cap situation? Thought there were rules?

The Pietrangelo contract couldn't be registered with the league since it was after 5pm EST when they came to terms last night. So I think the Knights will register the trade of Schmidt today first then the Petro deal. I think.
Oct. 13, 2020 at 10:00 a.m.
Evans truther
Quoting: Blueman96
The blues window might be closed. I hope it isn't. But it might be.

Now how do you guys pay for Dunn?
OldNYIfan liked this.
Oct. 13, 2020 at 10:09 a.m.
Quoting: MaxDomi13
FIRST

Hey Man.

I just want to congratulate you for being first.

This is bigger than the time Bobby Russo won the Medal of Honor.
Oct. 13, 2020 at 10:12 a.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: drewjenkins
Hey Man.

I just want to congratulate you for being first.

This is bigger than the time Bobby Russo won the Medal of Honor.

Thank you 👍
Oct. 13, 2020 at 10:12 a.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: AndrewLadd
I see Vegas turned the salary cap setting to off

HOly sh*t you got like 45 likes
Oct. 13, 2020 at 10:22 a.m.
We are all equal
Going to be good for the first few years but the back end of that contract along with the full NMC all the way through yikes. Buyout candidate down the road here.
Oct. 13, 2020 at 10:46 a.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: MaxDomi13
HOly sh*t you got like 45 likes

I feel famous
zk97 liked this.
Oct. 13, 2020 at 11:02 a.m.
Quoting: ColonelX
Now how do you guys pay for Dunn?

Army referenced in his presser when they signed Krug that Tarasenko and also Steen will apparently be starting the year on LTIR. So the cap isn't a concern for the offseason. But if/when either or both of them come back, it'll be an issue at that point. It's possible Army just punts the problem down the road. He apparently has no issue with doing that, as we can clearly see with not locking up your cup winning elite defenseman. But what do I know.
Oct. 13, 2020 at 11:05 a.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: Blueman96
The Pietrangelo contract couldn't be registered with the league since it was after 5pm EST when they came to terms last night. So I think the Knights will register the trade of Schmidt today first then the Petro deal. I think.

they had to be within the 10% over cap threshold by this morning.
Oct. 13, 2020 at 11:27 a.m.
Quoting: pharrow
not bad.
how much you think he lost due to this current market. 1.2? .2?

0.7 at most.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Oct. 13, 2020 at 12:42 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: Danny12357
I think Pietrangelo's deal is right around fair market value. Chances are he out performs in the next few years, but gives back some of that value later on. The problem is always that fans and teams never really remember the good years when the player has declined below what the cap hit is worth, but today, I think this deal is fine for Pietrangelo, but it's right on that line of fair.

Where this kind of goes off the rails for me, is that they didn't get much better, and they took on additional cap space. Pietrangelo replaces Schmidt at 5 on 5 and on the PK, however the gap in those areas isn't large, at least not $2.9M worth. If Pietrangelo doesn't get PP1 time, it will be hard for him to justify the additional cost and risk over Schmidt. If he does, I doubt he can act as enough of an upgrade on Theodore to justify the cost.

Vegas is still a very strong team, and Lehner was a great value add, but losing a reasonable (but overpaid) 2nd line center, and upgrading Schmidt to Pietrangelo, I don't know that they are really any better than they were. So it feels like a lot of moving parts to make a splash, but not necessarily like a firm plan to improve in any particular area.

Really exactly how I feel.
RawDeal liked this.
Oct. 13, 2020 at 12:54 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I really don’t understand the sequence of events here at all. I know I’m just a rank amateur, with absolutely no professional sports front-office experience, but if Las Vegas had traded Marc-Andre Fleury first, they could have kept Nate Schmidt. Now, the Golden Knights are over the cap as well as over the barrel and they still have only 12 NHL-quality forwards signed. To me, upgrading from Schmidt to Pietrangelo isn’t going to close the gap between Las Vegas and other Stanley Cup contenders in light of the Stastny trade. I guess that there must have been some sort of time pressure on Las Vegas to get Pietrangelo’s signature on the contract.
thelastlongbow liked this.
Oct. 13, 2020 at 1:14 p.m.
???????????????
Just trying to get to finals again because they don't have picks and prospects also they probaly could have paid him 7.5mill
Oct. 13, 2020 at 2:58 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
Screenshot-2020-10-13-084310.png

Still no excuse for overpaying Marner. He was RFA with no arbitration rights. No excuse for paying 4 guys half your cap. You can't win in the playoffs with zero depth.
Oct. 13, 2020 at 3:03 p.m.
torontos finest
Still no excuse for overpaying Marner. He was RFA with no arbitration rights. No excuse for paying 4 guys half your cap. You can't win in the playoffs with zero depth.

yes it would've been much smarter to pay the rfas before they had their breakout seasons
thelastlongbow liked this.
Oct. 13, 2020 at 5:37 p.m.
Banned

that chart is completely and totally wrong. Chicago has one of the highest tax rates in the country. Not even sure where people make this crap up at.
Brian2016 liked this.
Oct. 13, 2020 at 11:42 p.m.
that chart is completely and totally wrong. Chicago has one of the highest tax rates in the country. Not even sure where people make this crap up at.

That's what I thought.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 9:27 a.m.
torontos finest

capfriendly.com/income-tax-calculator

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit