Forums/Armchair-GM

Schmidt is a good add Cap issues are from dumb bottom 6 signings

Created by: BCAPP
Team: 2021-22 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 12, 2020
Published: Oct. 12, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Traded after July 1 he makes 3 mil. Shouldn't be that hard to trade.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$11,000,000
8$9,500,000
2$3,250,000
2$2,250,000
4$3,850,000
2$850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$4,250,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Chance to reprove himself, Player who needs a
1$1,000,000
Trades
VAN
DET
  1. Eriksson, Loui
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (VAN)
  3. 2021 4th round pick (VAN)
VAN
    Seattle draft
    Recapture Fees
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the VAN
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    20$81,500,000$77,481,492$648,780$1,032,500$4,018,508
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 3
    $5,875,000$5,875,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $4,250,000$4,250,000
    RW, LW
    UFA
    $4,125,000$4,125,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $3,850,000$3,850,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,225,000$1,225,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    Chance to reprove himself, Player who needs a
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $825,000$825,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    LD
    UFA - 6
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RD
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    G
    UFA - 5
    $5,950,000$5,950,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $860,833$860,833 (Performance Bonus$150,000$150K)
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $811,667$811,667 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
    G
    RFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $850,000$850,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Oct. 12, 2020 at 10:39 p.m.
    arky
    Not even close. Why would Wings take Ericksson hit for nothing. No Thank You.

Can not even believe you posted that.
    aedoran liked this.
    Oct. 12, 2020 at 10:41 p.m.
    Quoting: mikearky

This is next year. He would have one year left. It's essentially the same as the Staal trade...
    OlegP liked this.
    Oct. 12, 2020 at 10:42 p.m.
    Judd Bracket ripoff

I think this is a trade in 2021. So 1 year left on Eriksson’s $6million hit. Cost is basically the same as taking Staal at 5.7 million for year, no?
    BCAPP and OlegP liked this.
    Oct. 12, 2020 at 11:00 p.m.
    Is Schmidt really worth 5.95 million for another 4 years? This 20/23 roster is really counting on the younger players to step up. Looks like the safety net is low here.
    Oct. 12, 2020 at 11:58 p.m.
    Quoting: LegitArmChairGM
    Is Schmidt really worth 5.95 million for another 4 years? This 20/23 roster is really counting on the younger players to step up. Looks like the safety net is low here.

He's worth it more than Myers is.
    LegitArmChairGM liked this.
    Oct. 13, 2020 at 12:11 a.m.
    Quoting: The_Rocket
    I think this is a trade in 2021. So 1 year left on Eriksson’s $6million hit. Cost is basically the same as taking Staal at 5.7 million for year, no?
    AAV didn't matter...Wings still have 18M even after acquiring 5 free agents.

Staal was a soon-to-be 34 year old serviceable 2nd pair (but really a decent 3rd pair) LHD, which was a position the Wings needed. Staal had his 1M bonus paid on July 1 by the New York Rangers. Wings are only stuck with 3.2M for a mid-second. Veteran d-men can be traded by retaining 50% at the deadline for a 3rd round pick.

Eriksson will be a 36 year old $4M winger that really is only a serviceable bottom 6 player. Something the Wings have in abundance. Even if the Wings retained 50% at the deadline not many playoff teams need bottom 6 depth by way of a 36 yr old--so his trade value even without his MNTC would be very limited.

It's why Eriksson's contract would cost more for a team to dump then that of a defensive d-man.
    Oct. 13, 2020 at 12:28 a.m.
    Quoting: BCAPP
    He's worth it more than Myers is.

Totally agree.
    Oct. 13, 2020 at 5:49 a.m.
    your Petterson/Hughes extensions are too long and too much, think 4 year bridge deals with $2m less for both.
    Juolevi will get between $1.5-2.

all other extension pretty bang on.

probably not Detroit but someone will do that Eriksson deal next year.

Holtby will not be selected in the draft. It will be someone like LIND, ROUSSEL, GADJOVICH, or MACEWEN
    Oct. 13, 2020 at 6:30 a.m.
    Quoting: yztnuK
    your Petterson/Hughes extensions are too long and too much, think 4 year bridge deals with $2m less for both.
    Juolevi will get between $1.5-2.

all other extension pretty bang on.

probably not Detroit but someone will do that Eriksson deal next year.

Holtby will not be selected in the draft. It will be someone like LIND, ROUSSEL, GADJOVICH, or MACEWEN

Why would Seattle take Roussel over Holtby?
    Oct. 13, 2020 at 9:23 a.m.
    arky
    Quoting: The_Rocket

Well, no it is not. Staal is there to a eat minutes and mentor young defensemen in the organization. It was also a position of need if we did not get any free agents.
    Staal might not be top line defenseman, but he is serviceable
    He was also considered the defacto captain of the Rangers. All that being said, Ericksson is not a player of need, he will have a hard time brwakinginot the lineup and is not a leader so stop comparing the two.

Ericksson is a shell of his former self and brings nothing to the table. And next year with the Covid issues, no fans and the league finances disrupted cap dollars could become even more valuable. Also Rangers at the time did not cap issues they could have kept Staal and not signed others but by doing this they could make other moves. Canucks need space just to stave off losing two RFA's. Again a different situation.
    Oct. 13, 2020 at 9:35 a.m.
    Banned
    Edited Oct. 13, 2020 at 9:40 a.m.
    Well, no it is not. Staal is there to a eat minutes and mentor young defensemen in the organization. It was also a position of need if we did not get any free agents.
    Staal might not be top line defenseman, but he is serviceable
    He was also considered the defacto captain of the Rangers. All that being said, Ericksson is not a player of need, he will have a hard time brwakinginot the lineup and is not a leader so stop comparing the two.

Ericksson is a shell of his former self and brings nothing to the table. And next year with the Covid issues, no fans and the league finances disrupted cap dollars could become even more valuable. Also Rangers at the time did not cap issues they could have kept Staal and not signed others but by doing this they could make other moves. Canucks need space just to stave off losing two RFA's. Again a different situation.

I absolutely love how you are justifying the Staal trade when Stevie Y rushed himself into a bad deal before it became impossible to move bad money.
    Saying Staal was anything but a cap dump is quite well funny 😆
    And the Rangers absolutely need cap dollars. They bought out Lundqvist needlessly and essentially need Georgiev to be better than him and a 2nd round pick because Georgiev easily could have got a 2nd rounder after all he’s not a terrible player unlike Staal whom the Red Wings ignorantly took, willingly.
    Mentoring the defence? To be absolutely terrible, ok 👌
    Oct. 13, 2020 at 9:49 a.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: dca919
    AAV didn't matter...Wings still have 18M even after acquiring 5 free agents.

Staal was a soon-to-be 34 year old serviceable 2nd pair (but really a decent 3rd pair) LHD, which was a position the Wings needed. Staal had his 1M bonus paid on July 1 by the New York Rangers. Wings are only stuck with 3.2M for a mid-second. Veteran d-men can be traded by retaining 50% at the deadline for a 3rd round pick.

Eriksson will be a 36 year old $4M winger that really is only a serviceable bottom 6 player. Something the Wings have in abundance. Even if the Wings retained 50% at the deadline not many playoff teams need bottom 6 depth by way of a 36 yr old--so his trade value even without his MNTC would be very limited.

It's why Eriksson's contract would cost more for a team to dump then that of a defensive d-man.

No no no.
    The bonus was paid September 1st and you are not gonna get a 3rd pick rounder for Staal at the deadline. 🤦‍♂️ This is Marc Staal not Eric. I think you made another mistake. Check the name.

Last week, you were getting Saad despite his NTC and were flipping him at the deadline. Cause Saad would totally waive to go to Detroit!
    Everyone gets flipped that plays on a terrible team I guess. Let’s forget perceived value that ruined players value like Tyson Barrie that has to take a pay cut to rebuild his worth in Edmonton.

The mental gymnastics you are pulling off here is impressive.
    BCAPP liked this.
    Oct. 13, 2020 at 10:07 a.m.
    arky
    Ok is or was he a dump, Yes. But again Rangers were buying out Henrick so they were in no rush to trade Staal.

It is funny that you argue that he is a dump and all that but do not argue that Ericksson is just an anchor. Also with the finances in flux there is no way to determine what or how much money there will be or what the Wings might set as an I internal cap.

Again Staal is not great but he is not an anchor like Ericksson who again brings nothing to the table.

Keep him. I do not beleive Wings want him. Good luck
    Oct. 13, 2020 at 10:29 a.m.
    Banned
    Ok is or was he a dump, Yes. But again Rangers were buying out Henrick so they were in no rush to trade Staal.

It is funny that you argue that he is a dump and all that but do not argue that Ericksson is just an anchor. Also with the finances in flux there is no way to determine what or how much money there will be or what the Wings might set as an I internal cap.

Again Staal is not great but he is not an anchor like Ericksson who again brings nothing to the table.

Keep him. I do not beleive Wings want him. Good luck

I’m not playing where’s Waldo with two homers. Ive had enough of winning arguments against biased Red Wings fans. It’s boring.

You both actually contradicted each other so I’ll give you a fun game. Kind of like Where’s Waldo...

Find the contradiction. Ok. Go!
    Oct. 13, 2020 at 11:24 a.m.
    arky
    Edited Oct. 13, 2020 at 11:34 a.m.
    Quoting: OlegP
    I’m not playing where’s Waldo with two homers. Ive had enough of winning arguments against biased Red Wings fans. It’s boring.

You both actually contradicted each other so I’ll give you a fun game. Kind of like Where’s Waldo...

Find the contradiction. Ok. Go!

How about this, when you win a cup, you can be a self righteous jerk. I never said it was good and because we are Wings fans does not mean we all think alike. We had cap and we could afford to take on the deal to help younger players.

Also you genius whether the bonus was paid July 1st or September 1st Rangers paid it because the trade was on the Sept. 25th.
    Oct. 13, 2020 at 12:30 p.m.
    Banned
    How about this, when you win a cup, you can be a self righteous jerk. I never said it was good and because we are Wings fans does not mean we all think alike. We had cap and we could afford to take on the deal to help younger players.

Also you genius whether the bonus was paid July 1st or September 1st Rangers paid it because the trade was on the Sept. 25th.

I'm disappointed. You can do better.
    Oct. 13, 2020 at 3:36 p.m.
    Edited Oct. 13, 2020 at 3:49 p.m.
    Quoting: OlegP
    No no no.
    The bonus was paid September 1st and you are not gonna get a 3rd pick rounder for Staal at the deadline. 🤦‍♂️ This is Marc Staal not Eric. I think you made another mistake. Check the name.

Last week, you were getting Saad despite his NTC and were flipping him at the deadline. Cause Saad would totally waive to go to Detroit!
    Everyone gets flipped that plays on a terrible team I guess. Let’s forget perceived value that ruined players value like Tyson Barrie that has to take a pay cut to rebuild his worth in Edmonton.

The mental gymnastics you are pulling off here is impressive.
    Loui Eriksson has 2 years left on his contract. 1M this year in base + 4M in salary in salary next year.

Retain 50% on pretty much means they will get a 3rd round pick (will be from a playoff contending team with the pick in the last 10 picks in the 3rd round)...that's the going rate for 50% retention of salary. Less retention = higher pick. Look at the defensive pylons traded with 50% retained salary and the picks they got. The shell of Mike Green was traded for a conditional 3rd round pick just last year at 50%. Marco Scandella at 50% for a 2nd and 4th. Brenden Dillon at 50% for a 2nd and conditional 3rd.

Maybe you think salary retention and cap space don't matter...but that's where the pick gets boosted by a round. So examine those other 50% retention trades and be shocked. Then figure in a flat cap and what salary cap space is worth.

I don't know about Saad. And I don't think I've ever said yes that's a good fit on this team unless it was a cap dump for a very high pick where you just couldn't say no. So I have no idea where you are coming from on that..... it's kind like the people that think the Wings would take on Loui Eriksson's deal for anything less than a conditional 1st/2nd and a 3rd. It's just unrealistic and they are pricing him as an asset and not as a cap dump that will cost 5M total over two years for a 4th line player at best.

Was the bonus paid by the Rangers. Yes. Did it hit his bank account in Sept or July? Does it matter...the point was it wasn't paid by the team he was traded to but by the team he was traded by. So the point is still valid isn't it. Talk about mental gymnastics. The bonus came payable on July 1st but didn't hit his actual bank account until Sept 1, but he was traded later in Sept so somehow that matters...give me a break...point is made Staal cost the Wings 3.2M this year and about 1.6M if they trade him at the deadline for what they get from him at the deadline they already got a 2nd round pick. While Eriksson isn't flip-able as d-men and 50% rentention change hands frequently at the deadline while overpriced forwards that aren't worth their contracts anymore with term left don't. And you are pricing Eriksson the same as Staal. So maybe you better consider that in future non-sense.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll