Forums/Armchair-GM

Offseason Review

Created by: AllJonedOut
Team: 2020-21 San Jose Sharks
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 13, 2020
Published: Oct. 13, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is my final prediction. The sharks will sign jumbo and either sign Rutta or trade for bortuzzo.

Let’s review the offseason.
The mission was simple. Get younger, faster and better.

Farm System: Dougie boy did a good job in this category. He added guys at every position. We came into the offseason with a bottom 10 farm system. Doug added some a couple of FA signings along with signing John Leonard. Then they topped that with a good draft that solidified the “b category”. Still not a ton high end talent, merkley is our best. Doug did well.
B+

Trades: Doug added Ryan Donoto for only a 3rd. Something that if panned out will look incredible. The Dubnyk Deal was ok. Value wise a guy who was vezina top 5 for only a 5th is good but is he the right fit? That’s to be decided. Not a lot of action but he did fine with what he did.
B-

Coaching: it was obvious that bob was coming back but Dougie boy and bob did a good job of keeping nabby on and hiring rocky Thompson. Also good job.
B+

FA: this is where Dougie boy had some things I didn’t like. With the market how it is. I thought the sharks could be aggressive and sign a couple of key forwards that would provide proven top 9 ability. But Doug choose to sit back and play it safe and give his young guys a shot. My belief is that We needed to add some guys into the mix along with Gregor, Gambrel, Kellman, etc. Dougie did not share that opinion.
C-
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$800,000
Trades
STL
  1. 2021 6th round pick (SJS)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$72,565,000$0$277,500$8,935,000
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 7
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$1,900,000$1,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,725,000$4,725,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$768,333$768,333 (Performance Bonus$65,000$65K)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$10,000,000$10,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 7
$5,750,000$5,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 4
$5,280,000$5,280,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$2,166,667$2,166,667
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
UFA - 2
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$1,375,000$1,375,000
RD
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 13, 2020 at 5:27 p.m.
AllJonedOut
All obviously my opinion. Would love to hear yours. smile
Oct. 13, 2020 at 5:31 p.m.
Good Opinion Haver
Can't see us moving Bortuzzo for so little. Not that he's worth a lot or anything, but he makes so little money that he's worth more on our roster than whatever that sixth round pick will end up being.
mokumboi liked this.
Oct. 13, 2020 at 5:44 p.m.
AllJonedOut
Quoting: TheEarthmaster
Can't see us moving Bortuzzo for so little. Not that he's worth a lot or anything, but he makes so little money that he's worth more on our roster than whatever that sixth round pick will end up being.

Don’t you guys need money for Dunn?
Oct. 13, 2020 at 5:57 p.m.
Quoting: Ihaveajoner
All obviously my opinion. Would love to hear yours. smile

Farm system: I think the AHL squad isn't very high end or crazy promising but there are a LOT of guys down there that still have potential and could make the NHL leap one day. The odds that we see a 3-4 of them in the NHL at some point is very high, albeit not in top 6 roles. Unfortunately though the 'Cuda were awful last year and need to improve for our prospects to develop and thrive.
Overall: B-

Trades: Not a lot to report on here to be honest but that could change at any time. Although the Donato and Dubnyk trades were technically connected, I'll rate them individually: Donato trade gets an A- from me. He's a very capable forward and at the end of the Day Donato's ceiling is likely way, way higher than whatever that 3rd round pick will end up being. Good deal. The Dubnyk trade I just personally don't like. Dubnyk is aging, and still not worth his cap hit at 50% retained based on the season he just had. I'd love to be proven wrong here though. This one gets a D+. All of the draft day trades were okay I thought, but the Rangers fleeced us with the 5th for 2 7ths trade so I wasn't too happy with that either.
Overall: C

Coaching: I don't love Boogey, but he was the obvious and safe choice and I'm fine with that. Adding Thompson is nice too, but I've heard some sketchy stuff from other coaching staff. The coaching in the AHL needs to be sorted out as well to ensure they don't completely stink next year. Overall it's not bad though.

FA: Doug really **** the bed on this one. I'm not gonna lie. Getting Nieto at league min is a very very small silver lining, but otherwise he made no decisions that I liked. The Labanc signing isn't good in my opinion, Doug missed out on great options like Smith, Toffoli, Fast etc., and he's absolutely log jammed the bottom 6 too. This was the EXACT time this team needed to be taking advantage of the market and Doug put his hands back, did nothing, and signed yet ANOTHER poor contract to the team. My grade is gonna be harsh but I'm really not happy with what happened this year.
Overall: F
Oct. 13, 2020 at 6:21 p.m.
Rangers 2023
Quoting: RawZuccSauce420
Farm system: I think the AHL squad isn't very high end or crazy promising but there are a LOT of guys down there that still have potential and could make the NHL leap one day. The odds that we see a 3-4 of them in the NHL at some point is very high, albeit not in top 6 roles. Unfortunately though the 'Cuda were awful last year and need to improve for our prospects to develop and thrive.

Trades: Not a lot to report on here to be honest but that could change at any time. Although the Donato and Dubnyk trades were technically connected, I'll rate them individually: Donato trade gets an A- from me. He's a very capable forward and at the end of the Day Donato's ceiling is likely way, way higher than whatever that 3rd round pick will end up being. Good deal. The Dubnyk trade I just personally don't like. Dubnyk is aging, and still not worth his cap hit at 50% retained based on the season he just had. I'd love to be proven wrong here though. This one gets a D+. All of the draft day trades were okay I thought, but the Rangers fleeced us with the 5th for 2 7ths trade so I wasn't too happy with that either.

Coaching: I don't love Boogey, but he was the obvious and safe choice and I'm fine with that. Adding Thompson is nice too, but I've heard some sketchy stuff from other coaching staff. The coaching in the AHL needs to be sorted out as well to ensure they don't completely stink next year. Overall it's not bad though.

FA: Doug really **** the bed on this one. I'm not gonna lie. Getting Nieto at league min is a very very small silver lining, but otherwise he made no decisions that I liked. The Labanc signing isn't good in my opinion, Doug missed out on great options like Smith, Toffoli, Fast etc., and he's absolutely log jammed the bottom 6 too. This was the EXACT time this team needed to be taking advantage of the market and Doug put his hands back, did nothing, and signed yet ANOTHER poor contract to the team. My grade is gonna be harsh but I'm really not happy with what happened this year.

I feel like the labanc signing was happening whether or not he had a good or bad year, props to DW for holding up his end of the bargain even if he didnt really want to after this season
Oct. 13, 2020 at 6:48 p.m.
AllJonedOut
Quoting: RawZuccSauce420

Agree with everything you said. Cuda will get better. Merkley, Leonard, etc will all get there and be good talents. Also true, blichfield, etc are coming back. Also have Roy sommer back helps.

The only reason I’d didn’t give FA a Lower grade was. I get where Doug is coming from. Our cap situation is well... complicated and having to sign labanc took some more money away. He didn’t want to take a risk. But we needed to take a risk. And the nieto deal is a bargain which elevated it from a D in my book.
Oct. 13, 2020 at 7:32 p.m.
D. Reedy
It's hard to not expect DW to have done something with so many UFAs available at such a discount. Maybe he still has a trick up his sleeve, but it sucks to see guys who could really help the Sharks sign cheap deals for other teams. Sorenson needs to get traded, Marleau provides essentially the same production but is half the cost.
Oct. 13, 2020 at 7:37 p.m.
Good Opinion Haver
Quoting: Ihaveajoner
Don’t you guys need money for Dunn?

Steen and Tarasenko will be starting the season on LTIR and Steen's injury hasn't progressed since the bubble so if he stays there indefinitely then no. But even if he doesn't, we'll need to make additional trades to get cap compliant other than just moving Bortuzzo. Would be easier to move Bozak at half retained.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll