SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Minnesota Wild

Patrik Laine

Oct. 14, 2020 at 12:38 p.m.
I have been thinking about trade targets for the Wild over the past week for the 2021-2022 season. One that stuck out to me was Patrik Laine. He will be expensive for the Jets going forward and they already have other pricey wingers in Nikolaj Ehlers, Kyle Connor, and Blake Wheeler. The Jets also have Cole Perfetti knocking on the door as the 2C and Kristian Vesalainen looking for a spot. This all depends on where the Wild are at as an organization next summer, but if they prove they are better than everyone expected, it might make sense to make a splash like this. It would add a lethal weapon to the forward group that the Wild have never had before in the history of the franchise. This is also contingent upon Laine signing an extension with the Wild to buy a lot of his UFA years. Here is a mock trade I have come up with:

To Minnesota:

F - Patrik Laine

To Winnipeg:

D - Matt Dumba
F - Vladislav Firstov
2021 1st Round Pick - MIN

Feel free to tag Jets fans as well.

@TanSor @MNBassman @jnowariak @C21
Oct. 14, 2020 at 6:19 p.m.
Just spit balling here without knowing who goes in the expansion draft.
-Parise and Liane $7.5m each ($15m)
-Zucc, Fiala, Kaprizov $6m each ($18m) - going with Fiala and Kaprizov being outstanding and pair accordingly.
-Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin ($21m)
-$13m in Rask, Greenway, Soucy, Strum, and goalies.
-So that leaves $14m to cover JEE's raise, 2 bottom pair d-men, 1 top-6 center, 1 bottom-6 center, 2 bottom-6 wings. if Kaprizov/Fiala take $4m bridge deals it adds $4m to that.

What does a top-6 center cost? $6m-$10m/yr. We've run out of trade chips with Dumba gone, so it's a UFA signing.
JEE gets a $3m bridge deal?
It would take guys on their ELC's and league min filling the rest of the roster and you're still at/over the cap.

The math doesn't work out to trade Dumba for a wing. The GM dumped 2 wings this offseason, and a 3rd during last season and the roster is still overfilled with wings.

All that comes to mind is the 13-14 Oilers but with a better defense. JEE=RNH, Laine = Hall, Fiala = Eberle, Kaprizov = Perron, Parise = Hemsky, and Zucc = Yak.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 7:10 p.m.
I'd love Laine but if he isn't happy about not playing with Scheifele he's going to have a rude awakening in Minnesota... I don't think he'd have a very good opportunity to succeed here, at least not yet. That may change if Rossi turns out to be a star, but for now our centers won't get the best out of Laine.

I still think the best approach for Dumba is to hang on to him. He's coming off a down year so his value is probably at an all-time low and I'm a big believer that he can be the player we saw prior to his injury. If the opportunity arrives where we can acquire a 70ish point center then we'd still have Dumba as a chip to get a deal done. Carolina may need an offensive D if Dougie Hamilton decides to walk in free agency and someone like Necas could be perfect if he has a good year. Otherwise Barkov may walk in free agency and if the Panthers make him available next year before his contract is up then Dumba could be an intriguing piece as part of a package. You just never know when a good center will become available and there's no real rush to trade Dumba.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll