Forums/Armchair-GM

Who makes the team out of camp

Created by: BeerLeagueTendy
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 14, 2020
Published: Oct. 14, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Who do we think fills out the bottom 6 coming into the season? The way I see it Kerfoot and Simmonds are locks. Spezza is probable, the question is wing or centre. Robertson should make it but has competition.

That leaves 2, possibly 3 spots up in the air between Vesey, Barabanov, Korshkov, Boyd, Anderson, and Malgin.

Who's going to take them?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$750,000
2$1,500,000
2$1,750,000
Trades
TOR
  1. 2021 5th round pick (DET)
DET
  1. Engvall, Pierre
  2. Holl, Justin
  3. 2022 4th round pick (TOR)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DET
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
25$81,500,000$83,721,450$0$0-$2,221,450
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$821,667$821,667
LW, RW
RFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW
RFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 14, 2020 at 2:45 p.m.
honestly, idek if the team is done yet. No insiders seem to think the leafs are done. They are still sniffing around for trades etc.

Hard to judge the team right now, it's like a half finished painting

That being said, it's hard to see Vesey, Barabanov, or Bogosian not being permanent guys. Barabanov they specifically promised he'd get playing time, so I can't see him being the 13th forward.

I think the leafs are gonna be rotating guys a lot, every other game etc.
GenXHockey and MitchMarner_16 liked this.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 2:45 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Most likely engvall and Holl but you fired them into the sun. Engvall May get replaced by a league min but Holl won’t.
chungus liked this.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 2:47 p.m.
Quoting: Jamiepo
Most likely engvall and Holl but you fired them into the sun. Engvall May get replaced by a league min but Holl won’t.

the only way Holl leaves is if we are getting a more expensive (but better) partner for Muzzin. I really like that option because it gives you 4 bonified top 4 defencemen to play around with. Holl is good with Muzzin, but on his own, he can't really handle top 4 imo
Oct. 14, 2020 at 2:50 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: Lyle_Bubas
the only way Holl leaves is if we are getting a more expensive (but better) partner for Muzzin. I really like that option because it gives you 4 bonified top 4 defencemen to play around with. Holl is good with Muzzin, but on his own, he can't really handle top 4 imo

They never used him much with Rielly. Holl is better than ceci and even he was successful in that roll.
chungus and MitchMarner_16 liked this.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 2:51 p.m.
They never used him much with Rielly. Holl is better than ceci and even he was successful in that roll.

I've wondered about Holl with Reilly, but then I think, if that was the guy who was gonna play with Reilly, why didn't they do it?

Ngl I'd be really disappointed if we come out of this offseason and our ultimate solution to Reilly's defence partner is Justin Holl LMAO

No offence to the guy, he's good, but I'd like an upgrade
GenXHockey liked this.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 2:52 p.m.
The worst Leafs fan

Lehtonen from every report I've read is going to be GOOD good, there's a log jam in the bottom 3 D and Holl has the highest cap hit. Moving Holl and Engvall gives the team space to sign Dermott and Mikheyev.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 3:30 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: BeerLeagueTendy
Lehtonen from every report I've read is going to be GOOD good, there's a log jam in the bottom 3 D and Holl has the highest cap hit. Moving Holl and Engvall gives the team space to sign Dermott and Mikheyev.

My predicyltion for Dermott is 874,225 x1 and mikeyev 1.25m x2.

Unless Dubas is looking to lock one or both in on a longer term, which makes little sense.

Having good depth on defense isn’t a bad thing.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 3:35 p.m.
just like @Lyle_Bubas said, Dubas isn’t done making moves.

I could see Kerfoot and Holl being shipped out, for cap space. and possibly Engvall, but I could also see Engvall given a chance at the 3c roll. Or jumbo joe. I could also see Jumbo Joe on the the fourth line. i don’t really know at this point in time.

Making the bottom 6 something like
Robertson/Vesey - Engvall/Jumbo - Simmonds
Barabanov - Jumbo/Spezza - Spezza/Vesey
but then there’s also Korshkov, Vesey and Boyd who deserve chances at being in the lineup.
I could see a rotation like thing happening giving older guys a break and younger guys the chance to watch what the vetrans do and learning from that.
With so many options it’s hard to choose.

As for the D... Rielly, Muzzin, Brodie, Bogosian are locks. I don’t think Bogosian would’ve picked Toronto over the defending cup champ if he wasn’t gonna play. Leaving two spots between Dermott, Lehtonen, Holl, Sandin and Liljigren.
I think Sandin and Liljigren get one more year of development in the AHL, narrowing it down to Dermott, Lehtonen and Holl.
Lehtonen looks like a sure thing. and, correct me if i’m wrong, but he CAN play the ride side, he probably won’t, but maybe. I’m pretty sure Dubas also said he plans on playing Dermott on the right side.
Making the D core something along the lines of:
Rielly/Muzzin - Brodie/Dermott
Muzzin/Rielly - Bogosian/Dermott/Lehtonen
Lehtonen - Bogosian/Dermott
making Holl the odd man out.
chungus liked this.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 6:41 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: Kukas2600
just like @Lyle_Bubas said, Dubas isn’t done making moves.

I could see Kerfoot and Holl being shipped out, for cap space. and possibly Engvall, but I could also see Engvall given a chance at the 3c roll. Or jumbo joe. I could also see Jumbo Joe on the the fourth line. i don’t really know at this point in time.

Making the bottom 6 something like
Robertson/Vesey - Engvall/Jumbo - Simmonds
Barabanov - Jumbo/Spezza - Spezza/Vesey
but then there’s also Korshkov, Vesey and Boyd who deserve chances at being in the lineup.
I could see a rotation like thing happening giving older guys a break and younger guys the chance to watch what the vetrans do and learning from that.
With so many options it’s hard to choose.

As for the D... Rielly, Muzzin, Brodie, Bogosian are locks. I don’t think Bogosian would’ve picked Toronto over the defending cup champ if he wasn’t gonna play. Leaving two spots between Dermott, Lehtonen, Holl, Sandin and Liljigren.
I think Sandin and Liljigren get one more year of development in the AHL, narrowing it down to Dermott, Lehtonen and Holl.
Lehtonen looks like a sure thing. and, correct me if i’m wrong, but he CAN play the ride side, he probably won’t, but maybe. I’m pretty sure Dubas also said he plans on playing Dermott on the right side.
Making the D core something along the lines of:
Rielly/Muzzin - Brodie/Dermott
Muzzin/Rielly - Bogosian/Dermott/Lehtonen
Lehtonen - Bogosian/Dermott
making Holl the odd man out.

Locks- muzzin Rielly Holl Brodie Dermott lehtonen bogosian

Leafs will rotate Dmen and possibly run 11-7.
chungus liked this.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 7:19 p.m.
Locks- muzzin Rielly Holl Brodie Dermott lehtonen bogosian

Leafs will rotate Dmen and possibly run 11-7.

has that been confirmed?
Oct. 14, 2020 at 7:33 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Edited Oct. 14, 2020 at 7:39 p.m.
Quoting: Kukas2600
has that been confirmed?

Nope, that’s pulled straight from my brain. Everything I put in here is from that one limited resource. Otherwise I would mention who it was from.

Dubas has already said that he wants Dermott on the right side this year. Holl is on a cheap deal for a guy that can handle top 4 assignments. Lehtonen should make it out of camp. Hopefully he transitions well. Bogo certainly signed to play. We know the other three will be in every game.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 7:37 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
I've wondered about Holl with Reilly, but then I think, if that was the guy who was gonna play with Reilly, why didn't they do it?

Ngl I'd be really disappointed if we come out of this offseason and our ultimate solution to Reilly's defence partner is Justin Holl LMAO

No offence to the guy, he's good, but I'd like an upgrade

Think I remember reading somewhere that he was top on the leafs for controlled entries. Believe it or not. He can chug up the ice fairly well and his passing has been decent. His zone play is fine.

I think Rielly was with ceci to cover up the fact he couldn’t move the puck (or hit the net).

I think a Rielly- Dermott/Holl pairing both have potential.

One disclaimer I will mention about Holl is that he is expendable. The leafs could move him. Dermott to me is the one you keep. Bogo is 1m cheaper.
chungus liked this.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 7:58 p.m.
Think I remember reading somewhere that he was top on the leafs for controlled entries. Believe it or not. He can chug up the ice fairly well and his passing has been decent. His zone play is fine.

I think Rielly was with ceci to cover up the fact he couldn’t move the puck (or hit the net).

I think a Rielly- Dermott/Holl pairing both have potential.

One disclaimer I will mention about Holl is that he is expendable. The leafs could move him. Dermott to me is the one you keep. Bogo is 1m cheaper.

Holl is better than Bogosian. Yes, Zach brings intangibles etc. etc., but Holl is a better player. I really hope they don't go ahead with Bogosian in the top 4, because he just isn't that. However, I still see them upgrading on Holl, leaving Bogo on the bottom pair etc.

Worst case, rolling ahead with Holl isn't too bad though, he's a good player
GenXHockey liked this.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 8:12 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Holl is better than Bogosian. Yes, Zach brings intangibles etc. etc., but Holl is a better player. I really hope they don't go ahead with Bogosian in the top 4, because he just isn't that. However, I still see them upgrading on Holl, leaving Bogo on the bottom pair etc.

Worst case, rolling ahead with Holl isn't too bad though, he's a good player

My idea was never to put bogo in top 4. Dermott more than likely.
chungus liked this.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 8:28 p.m.
My idea was never to put bogo in top 4. Dermott more than likely.

Even then, Dermott in the top 4 is suspect. Idk if he's ever proven that yet. I'd rather test him out up there if there are injuries etc., play the long game.

Hopefully he can do it, because that makes things so much easier
Oct. 14, 2020 at 8:38 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Even then, Dermott in the top 4 is suspect. Idk if he's ever proven that yet. I'd rather test him out up there if there are injuries etc., play the long game.

Hopefully he can do it, because that makes things so much easier

I have no issues. He was great when moved up for injuries. The biggest issue with Dermott is that he was never given a shot. Personally I think he is ready and has been for a while.
chungus liked this.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 9:38 p.m.
I have no issues. He was great when moved up for injuries. The biggest issue with Dermott is that he was never given a shot. Personally I think he is ready and has been for a while.

Dermott before Holl at any time of day

I have my suspicions what Dubarelli is doing but first i must ask noob question ( while i know you are more into CBA then most of us here ) :

Expansion Draft.....is protecting primary thing and exposing secondary ? I mean, if Team protects 7-3-1 or 8-1.....and the Team doesnt have Players to expose, lets say hypotethically Dermott will be RFA and not signed by Draft, Muzzin, Rielly, Brodie protected......other defencemen UFA.......( wait for it Holl ) , so is Team obligated to expose that one Defenceman from protected 3 or not ? If yes, i think Dubarelli is done for this year, satisfied with Roster that will barely make it to Playoffs with one and only reason to have Holl as only one D to be possible to expose.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 9:47 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: Laudan
Dermott before Holl at any time of day

I have my suspicions what Dubarelli is doing but first i must ask noob question ( while i know you are more into CBA then most of us here ) :

Expansion Draft.....is protecting primary thing and exposing secondary ? I mean, if Team protects 7-3-1 or 8-1.....and the Team doesnt have Players to expose, lets say hypotethically Dermott will be RFA and not signed by Draft, Muzzin, Rielly, Brodie protected......other defencemen UFA.......( wait for it Holl ) , so is Team obligated to expose that one Defenceman from protected 3 or not ? If yes, i think Dubarelli is done for this year, satisfied with Roster that will barely make it to Playoffs with one and only reason to have Holl as only one D to be possible to expose.

Protecting is primary but they need to have the proper assets exposed. Leafs should have no issue satisfying that. Dermott being rfa would need to be protected or would be draft eligable.

With the roster as is they would obviously protect the top 3 Dmen and leave both Holl and Dermott. But they could also protect the big 4 and Dermott by going 8-1
Oct. 15, 2020 at 2:50 a.m.
Edited Oct. 15, 2020 at 3:54 a.m.
Protecting is primary but they need to have the proper assets exposed. Leafs should have no issue satisfying that. Dermott being rfa would need to be protected or would be draft eligable.

With the roster as is they would obviously protect the top 3 Dmen and leave both Holl and Dermott. But they could also protect the big 4 and Dermott by going 8-1

Damn me and my english.....( i must admit im a bit confused now tho, while in last simulation that i created i signed Mikheyev for 1 x 1,5M with notification he will be exposed and CF was showing him as RFA at end of contract but you pro-tipped me he has to be signed for 2 years, so over the draft, but now Dermotts rights are in play anyway )

lets put it another way.....what is the "punishment" for the Team that doesnt provide the wanted conditions of 2F , 1D and a G exposed ( lets say all the contracts just ended as UFAs except the protected Players ) Is team obligated to acquire those 4 assets in FA or else so NHL wont come upon them with : you tried to screw us ......

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll