Forums/Armchair-GM

Hindsight into the 2015 Draft

Created by: Daryl
Team: 2020-21 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 14, 2020
Published: Oct. 14, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Way over the cap, but dang this team could of been so deadly.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,000,000
3$7,000,000
Trades
BOS
BUF
BOS
  1. Barzal, Mathew [RFA Rights]
NYI
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$93,197,671$964,222$2,000,000-$11,697,671
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$6,666,667$6,666,667
RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 6
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW
UFA - 3
$1,498,925$1,498,925
LW
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 6
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LD
UFA - 8
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RD
UFA - 2
$7,000,000$7,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$2,850,000$2,850,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000 (Performance Bonus$1,250,000$1M)
G
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,275,000$1,275,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 14, 2020 at 4:17 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: ON3M4N
Don't know, I have no idea how this team would look like because its a rabbit hole of possibilities.

Yeah for sure. The only certainty, however, is that you guys would not have Zboril, Senyshyn, or DeBrusk; and would instead have Barzal, Connor, and Chabot. Which is a pretty one sided trade off.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 4:22 p.m.
Quoting: Daryl
You're still making crazy assumptions on Barzal. He has the potential to be a 1C, there would be options for him to reach that potential, or maybe he gets moved to wing. You simply cannot make the argument that drafting Zboril, Senyshyn, and DeBrusk over Barzal was understandable, because the skill difference is immense.

what type of player is barzal? is he a scorer or is he a 2 way playmaker. krejci had a full ntc. cant move him, you arent moving bergy. you still have nobody on the 2nd line who is a dynamic goal scorer. i understand you want to take best player available but there is more of a chance barzal gets offersheeted and signs it. than there is barzal would reach that same potential he did with the islanders as he would in boston. Out of all the names there the only one the bruins SHOULD have grabbed with those 3 was connor. they messed up not taking one of boeser/konecny/connor. barzals playstyle didnt fit bostons immediate or future needs until literally next year. you dont take a center that high and hope he turns into a winger.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 4:23 p.m.
Yeah for sure. The only certainty, however, is that you guys would not have Zboril, Senyshyn, or DeBrusk; and would instead have Barzal, Connor, and Chabot. Which is a pretty one sided trade off.

but then we also potentially don't have...

Carlo
McAvoy
Lauzon
Studnicka

Now I could list more guys drafted later, but you get the point. Lets also then go....

Nash trade never happens (Lindgren was part of that drafted 2016)
-Brings back Spooner, 2016 1st and Beleskey

Backes signing doesn't happen so you lose Kase but get your 1st back. I'd say Andersson too, but who know if Boston takes him in 2018

Coyle for Donato needs to come back

No Wagner
No Halak

I'm sure there are many more, but I think you get the point.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 4:23 p.m.

youre assuming that none of those 3 get drafted above the bruins now though since its full hindsight.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 4:29 p.m.

Carlo
McAvoy
Lauzon
Studnicka

Now I could list more guys drafted later, but you get the point. Lets also then go....

Backes signing doesn't happen so you lose Kase but get your 1st back. I'd say Andersson too, but who know if Boston takes him in 2018

No Wagner
No Halak

Carlo
McAvoy
Lauzon
Studnicka

No Wagner
No Halak

lauzon/carlo both still probably happen and the studnicka pick was compensation for chia so we probably still grab him there... but theres no way to tell how a guy develops in a different system, with different players, under completely different circumstances. might get mcavoy in 2016 but anything beyond 2016 you can probably take back as none of that happens if they draft the 3 mentioned and they all hit their current potential.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 4:34 p.m.
Quoting: hanson493
lauzon/carlo both still probably happen and the studnicka pick was compensation for chia so we probably still grab him there... but theres no way to tell how a guy develops in a different system, with different players, under completely different circumstances. might get mcavoy in 2016 but anything beyond 2016 you can probably take back as none of that happens if they draft the 3 mentioned and they all hit their current potential.

We don't know if they'd still be draft by Boston because every draft board would have changed. Its possible Carlo moved up on someone's board and would have been taken by someone before Boston's 2nd round pick...same for Lauzon. For Studnicka, we don't know if that pick is still in that spot again because we've changed the draft, which ripples to off-season moves, to games and outcomes, which ultimately ends with the final standings.
hanson493 liked this.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 4:50 p.m.
get ur corsi up
youre assuming that none of those 3 get drafted above the bruins now though since its full hindsight.

We don't know if they'd still be draft by Boston because every draft board would have changed. Its possible Carlo moved up on someone's board and would have been taken by someone before Boston's 2nd round pick...same for Lauzon. For Studnicka, we don't know if that pick is still in that spot again because we've changed the draft, which ripples to off-season moves, to games and outcomes, which ultimately ends with the final standings.

You're both overthinking this so much. Yeah obviously the draft would be way different if every team used hindsight. Yes of course the Bruins would have made different moves if they drafted like this. However, what is a fact, is that the 2015 draft by Boston was one of the worst draft performances in recent memory. All teams screw up picks, but you guys somehow managed to completely botch three consecutive picks, that all occurred directly before three elite players. I made the armchair because its just so impressive just how much the Bruins managed to screw up the 2015 draft.

I find it irrational to even argue that your team would be worse right now if you instead took three elite players over two busts and a second liner. Overall, I like looking back at drafts and seeing where teams screwed up. Just so happens that the Bruins made one of the biggest draft mistakes in recent memory.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 4:59 p.m.
You're both overthinking this so much. Yeah obviously the draft would be way different if every team used hindsight. Yes of course the Bruins would have made different moves if they drafted like this. However, what is a fact, is that the 2015 draft by Boston was one of the worst draft performances in recent memory. All teams screw up picks, but you guys somehow managed to completely botch three consecutive picks, that all occurred directly before three elite players. I made the armchair because its just so impressive just how much the Bruins managed to screw up the 2015 draft.

I find it irrational to even argue that your team would be worse right now if you instead took three elite players over two busts and a second liner. Overall, I like looking back at drafts and seeing where teams screwed up. Just so happens that the Bruins made one of the biggest draft mistakes in recent memory.

Overthinking? no, just trying to be realistic about it. I'm not arguing they'd be worse because I have no idea what the roster would look like and that's my whole point. Its the reason why these 2015 hindsight drafts are stupid because is assinine predict the chain reaction of events that would unfold after those picks.

BTW scary to think even with the 2015 draft mess up they were 1 win away from a Stanley Cup title and won the president trophy this year. Meanwhile a team like Toronto can't even get out of the first round after having two top 5 picks and signing a former #1OA since that 2015 draft laugh
Oct. 14, 2020 at 4:59 p.m.

i am not arguing the team would be worse. im saying the 3 players youre saying would still hit the same potential on the bruins only connor might hit that same potential.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 6:06 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Overthinking? no, just trying to be realistic about it. I'm not arguing they'd be worse because I have no idea what the roster would look like and that's my whole point. Its the reason why these 2015 hindsight drafts are stupid because is assinine predict the chain reaction of events that would unfold after those picks.

BTW scary to think even with the 2015 draft mess up they were 1 win away from a Stanley Cup title and won the president trophy this year. Meanwhile a team like Toronto can't even get out of the first round after having two top 5 picks and signing a former #1OA since that 2015 draft laugh

I made the armchair for fun. But leave it to Bruins fans to overreact and make it about the Leafs tears of joy. You’re delusional if you can’t admit the 2015 draft was a massive mistake, that stopped you guys from potentially building a dynasty.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 6:07 p.m.
get ur corsi up
i am not arguing the team would be worse. im saying the 3 players youre saying would still hit the same potential on the bruins only connor might hit that same potential.

Okay that’s possible. They’ll still be better than Zboril and Senyshyn.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 6:50 p.m.
I made the armchair for fun. But leave it to Bruins fans to overreact and make it about the Leafs tears of joy. You’re delusional if you can’t admit the 2015 draft was a massive mistake, that stopped you guys from potentially building a dynasty.

I mean thats one example, you could pick any number of teams that haven't been nearly as good since 2015 lol. BTW i literally said it the post that your replied to that they messed up the 2015 draft tears of joy

As for a dynasty, I have no idea (no one does) because everything that happened after that is a rabbit hole of possibilities
Oct. 14, 2020 at 8:20 p.m.
get ur corsi up
I mean thats one example, you could pick any number of teams that haven't been nearly as good since 2015 lol. BTW i literally said it the post that your replied to that they messed up the 2015 draft tears of joy

As for a dynasty, I have no idea (no one does) because everything that happened after that is a rabbit hole of possibilities

Typically when you draft a topline center, top LW, and top D-man your team gets pretty good (B's were already good, so now they get even better). This "rabbit hole of possibilities" is just a made of thread of logic you use to avoid discussing this embarrassing moment in your teams history.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 9:25 p.m.
Typically when you draft a topline center, top LW, and top D-man your team gets pretty good (B's were already good, so now they get even better). This "rabbit hole of possibilities" is just a made of thread of logic you use to avoid discussing this embarrassing moment in your teams history.

No its the reality of it lol. Again as bad as it was we still managed to nearly win a cup and won a presidents trophy. Was the draft a major miss? Sure was. Was it embarrassing? I don't think so because teams miss on draft picks all time, even #10A picks. You know what doesn't happen all the time and is embarrassing? Losing to a 42yr old Zamboni driver grimace
Oct. 14, 2020 at 9:27 p.m.
get ur corsi up
No its the reality of it lol. Again as bad as it was we still managed to nearly win a cup and won a presidents trophy. Was the draft a major miss? Sure was. Was it embarrassing? I don't think so because teams miss on draft picks all time, even #10A picks. You know what doesn't happen all the time and is embarrassing? Losing to a 42yr old Zamboni driver grimace

Congratulations. You took an armchair team that was made solely for the fun of a hypothetical situation and made it about the Leafs. Difference between me and you, is I accept my teams embarrassing moments, rather than create ludicrous arguments to justify them.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 10:26 p.m.
Congratulations. You took an armchair team that was made solely for the fun of a hypothetical situation and made it about the Leafs. Difference between me and you, is I accept my teams embarrassing moments, rather than create ludicrous arguments to justify them.

I dont think congratulations are in order, but to each their own. I've said multiple times that the 2015 draft was a miss and they messed up. Unfortunately you seem to have ignored that. I have nothing to justify, all I can do is look at what has happened based on reality. To assume the status quo after making even the smallest change is foolish. Everything from drafts picks to off-seasons moves and game results would most likely change. Not only that but player development is not guaranteed to be the same. Looks at a guy like Williams Karlsson. He was nothing with ANH and CBJ. In fact he had 50pt in 183gp. He goes to Vegas and in his first year he had 43 goals and 70pts. A guy with nearly 200gp had almost as many goals in one season with VGK than he did points for his career. Why is that? Because of how he was used, his role and numerous other factors.

You look at Chabot as he is now, but don't take into consideration how Boston would have handled him. At the time Chara and Krug were staples in the top 4. Chabot wouldn't have 24 minutes a night in Boston and he wouldn't have been on the #1PP. The Chabot you see in Ottawa may very well be different in Boston because his role and usage would be different. Same goes for Barzal. Krejci was under contract and no way is Barzal getting close to 18 minutes a night as a rookie in Boston. He probably is in a 3rd line role seeing time on PP2 and playing with Danton Heinen and Riley Nash.

This isn't a ludicrous argument at all, it's actually pretty logical
Oct. 14, 2020 at 10:35 p.m.
get ur corsi up
I dont think congratulations are in order, but to each their own. I've said multiple times that the 2015 draft was a miss and they messed up. Unfortunately you seem to have ignored that. I have nothing to justify, all I can do is look at what has happened based on reality. To assume the status quo after making even the smallest change is foolish. Everything from drafts picks to off-seasons moves and game results would most likely change. Not only that but player development is not guaranteed to be the same. Looks at a guy like Williams Karlsson. He was nothing with ANH and CBJ. In fact he had 50pt in 183gp. He goes to Vegas and in his first year he had 43 goals and 70pts. A guy with nearly 200gp had almost as many goals in one season with VGK than he did points for his career. Why is that? Because of how he was used, his role and numerous other factors.

You look at Chabot as he is now, but don't take into consideration how Boston would have handled him. At the time Chara and Krug were staples in the top 4. Chabot wouldn't have 24 minutes a night in Boston and he wouldn't have been on the #1PP. The Chabot you see in Ottawa may very well be different in Boston because his role and usage would be different. Same goes for Barzal. Krejci was under contract and no way is Barzal getting close to 18 minutes a night as a rookie in Boston. He probably is in a 3rd line role seeing time on PP2 and playing with Danton Heinen and Riley Nash.

This isn't a ludicrous argument at all, it's actually pretty logical

And I’ve said multiple times that there are chain effects. But the point I keep making that you are ignoring, is that if 2015 was executed correctly, Boston would have upgrades on three different players right now.
Oct. 15, 2020 at 5:20 a.m.
And I’ve said multiple times that there are chain effects. But the point I keep making that you are ignoring, is that if 2015 was executed correctly, Boston would have upgrades on three different players right now.

And assuming they all developed the same way, no one is arguing that.
Oct. 15, 2020 at 8:51 a.m.
Okay that’s possible. They’ll still be better than Zboril and Senyshyn.

you cant assume that because of what you know being true with how theyve grown with NYI, WPG, and OTT. maybe barzal cant play on krejcis wing? maybe connor cant, maybe chabot take a step back in juniors playing with zboril and then follows that up with stagnating play in the ahl... like you dont know what a player becomes in a different situation.
Oct. 15, 2020 at 11:03 a.m.
get ur corsi up
you cant assume that because of what you know being true with how theyve grown with NYI, WPG, and OTT. maybe barzal cant play on krejcis wing? maybe connor cant, maybe chabot take a step back in juniors playing with zboril and then follows that up with stagnating play in the ahl... like you dont know what a player becomes in a different situation.

You put way to much weight on environment. Of course different players will develop different on different teams, but raw talent and work ethic play major roles. Barzal, Connor, and Chabot are simply better players and that is a fact.
Oct. 15, 2020 at 11:04 a.m.
You put way to much weight on environment. Of course different players will develop different on different teams, but raw talent and work ethic play major roles. Barzal, Connor, and Chabot are simply better players and that is a fact.

right but is chabots development with ottawa where hes thrown into the thick of things immediately significantly more beneficial than if he were in zborils shoes and wasnt brought up until now?
Oct. 15, 2020 at 11:21 a.m.
get ur corsi up
right but is chabots development with ottawa where hes thrown into the thick of things immediately significantly more beneficial than if he were in zborils shoes and wasnt brought up until now?

So you seriously think Zboril could become as good as Chabot had he been drafted by Ottawa? I am not saying Chabot would be as good as he is rn if he were with Boston. But what is a fact is he is significantly better than Zboril no matter where he plays.
Oct. 15, 2020 at 12:38 p.m.
So you seriously think Zboril could become as good as Chabot had he been drafted by Ottawa? I am not saying Chabot would be as good as he is rn if he were with Boston. But what is a fact is he is significantly better than Zboril no matter where he plays.

HOW DO YOU KNOW!!!! thats the entire point im trying to make. EVERY system is different, EVERY PLAYER is different in someone elses system. Do i think zboril becomes as good as chabot in ottawa probably not. but i cant definitively say yes or no. The scouting reports at the time were basically that both players would be solid defensemen. Zboril was compared to yandle while chabot was quoted as being a steady all around defenseman. If zboril plays nhl minutes vs sticking around in the Q/ahl he could easily be a top 4 stud vs also as easily be a bust. thats been my entire point all along. doing hindsight in drafts is pointless because someone you took might or might not become something else in someone elses system.
Oct. 15, 2020 at 2:29 p.m.
get ur corsi up
HOW DO YOU KNOW!!!! thats the entire point im trying to make. EVERY system is different, EVERY PLAYER is different in someone elses system. Do i think zboril becomes as good as chabot in ottawa probably not. but i cant definitively say yes or no. The scouting reports at the time were basically that both players would be solid defensemen. Zboril was compared to yandle while chabot was quoted as being a steady all around defenseman. If zboril plays nhl minutes vs sticking around in the Q/ahl he could easily be a top 4 stud vs also as easily be a bust. thats been my entire point all along. doing hindsight in drafts is pointless because someone you took might or might not become something else in someone elses system.

And as I have said repeatedly, I fully agree that development alters a player. But you are factoring out personal talent way to much. Some players even with excellent development programs still can't become top players. A player needs both good development but also natural skill and work ethic to reach a potential. So saying that a guy like Zboril could reach Chabot level simply by being drafted to a different team is ridiculous.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll