Forums/Armchair-GM

Habs fans relax ffs Bergy is thinking of Exp Draft

Team: 2020-21 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 14, 2020
Published: Oct. 14, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The way I see it:
1-He needs to have Jake Allen signed in order to have a goalie unprotected in the expansion draft.
2- Now with Edmundson he can afford to leave Chariot unprotected. He would protect Petry, Weber and Edmundson. This would leave Mete, Chariot, Kulak and Ouellet available (if they are still around but I am positive Mete or Kulak won't be).
3-Now with the whole RW saga. He obviously wants to have Gallagher signed before the Exp Draft. If he does, he will protect: (1) Drouin (2) Danault, if signed (3) KK (4) Gallagher (5) Armia (6) Evans (7) Peohling. Basically, I think he brought both Anderson and Toffoli in order to provide depth this year but also options for next year. If he cannot have Gally signed, then ok he's traded and that new forward takes Gally's spot protected, or Anderson.

To sum up, Montreal would have Allen, Chariot, Anderson and Toffoli available for Seattle to pick from, but he would only lose one. This would provide a great option for Seattle for sure, but also it would seriously help Montreal get through the Exp Draft really well.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$74,428,809$0$3,137,500$7,071,191
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 7
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,125,000$2,125,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,400,000$2,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 2
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 6
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 6
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$4,350,000$4,350,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
RFA - 2
$737,500$737,500
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$735,000$735,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 14, 2020 at 3:29 p.m.
Sorry... why is he protecting Drouin, Armia, and Evans over Toffoli and Anderson?
yikes liked this.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 3:30 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: leafs101
Sorry... why is he protecting Drouin, Armia, and Evans over Toffoli and Anderson?

Toffoli is definitely a no brain protection, a solid forward - his contract alone is worth protecting.
leafs101 liked this.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 3:31 p.m.
Quoting: yikes
Toffoli is definitely a no brain protection, a solid forward - his contract alone is worth protecting.

Anderson I only say because they just signed him to that monster deal
Oct. 14, 2020 at 3:32 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Anderson I only say because they just signed him to that monster deal

Yeah that contract is suspect tho - definitely gonna be interesting
Oct. 14, 2020 at 3:32 p.m.
Quoting: yikes
Yeah that contract is suspect tho - definitely gonna be interesting

4 points in 26 games = 5.5x7
Oct. 14, 2020 at 3:33 p.m.

1) Evans is almost a rookie C with more growth to show.
2) Drouin is a playmaker.
3) Armia will have a cheaper contract although is a downgrade for sure
4) With the depth at RW (Gally, Armia, Toffoli/Anderson, he can afford to lose one of those last two who have significant contracts and sort of play the same way.

All this is dependent on how the first season goes obviously, if Anderson is amazing and Armia is his usual self, maybe he protects Anderson instead. Who knows. At the end of the day Bergy has many options and they are all good.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 3:34 p.m.
habrye@hotmail.com

Comes down to what they all do this next season. Drouin playing with Suzuki and Anderson is his shot to showcase his talent cause he's in prime years now and both Suzuki and Drouin should benefit from playing with a speedy and physical winger in Anderson. If Drouin struggles, he won't be protected.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 3:37 p.m.
habrye@hotmail.com
4 points in 26 games = 5.5x7

Would be worse if we signed Anderson to 1 year deal and he bust out. He's a good one on wing! And he brings so much more to the table than points. I think Dubas is worse than Bergevin so I would not be jumping on our backs cause Bergevin is addressing our flaws. Dubas has messed up the Leafs and now your in cap hell and the bottom of roster is crap! That Kadri trade man? What a joke!
Oct. 14, 2020 at 3:40 p.m.
Antho
Poehling doesn't have to be protected and I really doubt Bergevin will protect Evans instead of a guy like Toffoli
Oct. 14, 2020 at 3:45 p.m.
Quoting: Anthonybj96
Poehling doesn't have to be protected and I really doubt Bergevin will protect Evans instead of a guy like Toffoli

Yes Poeling does. This season is his 3rd professional season. Evans also and he has developed really well. I guess it all depends on how this season goes, but it might be best for Bergevin to almost force Seattle to take a contract heavier than $3m AAV. Toffoli is great, don't get me wrong. But if there are 4 real good RWs, we might not be able to make room for them all.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 3:47 p.m.
Quoting: habrye
Would be worse if we signed Anderson to 1 year deal and he bust out. He's a good one on wing! And he brings so much more to the table than points. I think Dubas is worse than Bergevin so I would not be jumping on our backs cause Bergevin is addressing our flaws. Dubas has messed up the Leafs and now your in cap hell and the bottom of roster is crap! That Kadri trade man? What a joke!

no it wouldn't lol. Even if he busts out I can't see him making more than that.

Leafs pay their stars. We have our money locked in 3 85+ point players and one 70+ point player. Dubas has revamped the D, drafted extremely well, and the bottom of the roster is alright.

He had one bad trade, that in theory would have been fine. (ie. if Barrie was what he was in Colorado)

Signing a guy with 4 points to the deal he probably would not have even been able to get after his career high year, is ridiculous.

People jump on him for the Nylander contract - Willy makes 1.4 mil more, yes, but was on pace for 37 goals pre-corona, 71 points pre-corona, and can play center. But ya no you're right, throwing that kinda money at a guy who is coming off injury and scored 4 points last year is great. If you wanted the "other stuff he brings" i.e. size and toughness, that costs no more than $2M, and certainly not a guy like Domi.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 3:51 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Counter points:

1 - Michael McNiven already meets the requirement.
2 - Chiarot is better than Edmundson and has a better contract. Edmundson won’t be protected, and if Seattle has the stupidity to pick him, most habs fans would rejoice. But it is likely that Seattle picks the player that has the best season out of Kulak, Mete, Juulsen, & Fleury.
3 - Poehling is exempt, and not worthy of a spot even if he were. And Armia probably doesn’t come back, even if he did, it would be after the expansion draft. It would be ridiculous for the habs not to protect Toffoli or Anderson.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 3:52 p.m.
habrye@hotmail.com
no it wouldn't lol. Even if he busts out I can't see him making more than that.

Leafs pay their stars. We have our money locked in 3 85+ point players and one 70+ point player. Dubas has revamped the D, drafted extremely well, and the bottom of the roster is alright.

He had one bad trade, that in theory would have been fine. (ie. if Barrie was what he was in Colorado)

Signing a guy with 4 points to the deal he probably would not have even been able to get after his career high year, is ridiculous.

Anderson going to give the Leafs fits this year. Thanks for stopping by on the Habs chat though. Dubas "revamped" the D. Like he did last year eh? lol
Oct. 14, 2020 at 3:54 p.m.
Anderson going to give the Leafs fits this year. Thanks for stopping by on the Habs chat though. Dubas "revamped" the D. Like he did last year eh? lol

He did last year as well. IF HE GOT COLORADO BARRIE, which there is no reason why he couldn't have. It just didn't work out. Also added guys who are more physical and defensive than Barrie this year.

I'm not arguing that Anderson will be bad - I think he'll be a fine middle 6 forward, but worth no more than 4 million on a short term deal.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 3:59 p.m.
habrye@hotmail.com
He did last year as well. IF HE GOT COLORADO BARRIE, which there is no reason why he couldn't have. It just didn't work out. Also added guys who are more physical and defensive than Barrie this year.

I'm not arguing that Anderson will be bad - I think he'll be a fine middle 6 forward, but worth no more than 4 million on a short term deal.

You can't force a deal that the team wants. You as a Leafs fan should know that with both Marner and Matthews. They are overpaid with this flat cap and you complaining about the power forward Anderson at $5.5M? Well, a 1 year deal would be worse!

Remember Nylander before this past year? Decent contract today. Anderson can put up Nylander numbers playing with Suzuki, Provide a power forward game Nylander can't, and Anderson at $5.5M is cheaper than Nylander.

Go somewhere else! Nothing wrong with Anderson at $5.5M. You are targeting an injury season and your not fooling anybody Ricky
Oct. 14, 2020 at 4:01 p.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
Counter points:

2 - Chiarot is better than Edmundson and has a better contract. Edmundson won’t be protected, and if Seattle has the stupidity to pick him, most habs fans would rejoice. But it is likely that Seattle picks the player that has the best season out of Kulak, Mete, Juulsen, & Fleury.
3 - Poehling is exempt, and not worthy of a spot even if he were. And Armia probably doesn’t come back, even if he did, it would be after the expansion draft. It would be ridiculous for the habs not to protect Toffoli or Anderson.

CounterCounter points:
1) McNiven might not even be worth a contract and may go elsewhere seeing as he's 4th on the Habs depth chart (Europe). But ok I guess this is a possibility.
2) Maybe Chariot is better, but they have the same $$$ value contract but Chariot's is shorter. SO if anything Chariot has a worse contract because he can get a raise sooner, which he will.
3) Peohling and Evans are NOT exempt. We'll see about Toffoli and Anderson, and how this season goes, but they may be worth to leave dangling.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 4:01 p.m.
habrye@hotmail.com
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
Counter points:

You should wait to give firm opinions until after this next season is played. Things will change for a lot of our assets (good and bad)
Oct. 14, 2020 at 4:03 p.m.
habrye@hotmail.com
Quoting: Ste_Catherine_Street
CounterCounter points:
1) McNiven might not even be worth a contract and may go elsewhere seeing as he's 4th on the Habs depth chart (Europe). But ok I guess this is a possibility.
2) Maybe Chariot is better, but they have the same $$$ value contract but Chariot's is shorter. SO if anything Chariot has a worse contract because he can get a raise sooner, which he will.
3) Peohling and Evans are NOT exempt. We'll see about Toffoli and Anderson, and how this season goes, but they may be worth to leave dangling.

Evans is not exempt. Poehling is though. RFA rules are how they determine it (not ELC). Poehling had to play 40 games as a pro in 18/19 and he only played 1. Don't believe me? W Nylander was exempt in the last expansion draft and it was because he played 37 AHL games in 14/15.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 4:04 p.m.
You can't force a deal that the team wants. You as a Leafs fan should know that with both Marner and Matthews. They are overpaid with this flat cap and you complaining about the power forward Anderson at $5.5M? Well, a 1 year deal would be worse!

Remember Nylander before this past year? Decent contract today. Anderson can put up Nylander numbers playing with Suzuki, Provide a power forward game Nylander can't, and Anderson at $5.5M is cheaper than Nylander.

Go somewhere else! Nothing wrong with Anderson at $5.5M. You are targeting an injury season and your not fooling anybody Ricky

Lol ok so 94 points as a 22 year old making 11 mil is worse than 5.5 mil for 4 points? A one year deal wouldn't be worse because you're LITERALLY PAYING HIM MORE THAN HE WAS WORTH IN HIS CAREER HIGH YEAR!!!!! HE HAS NEVER EVEN HIT 50 POINTS AND YOU PAY HIM 5.5 MILLION for 7 YEARS?

Also with your injury argument - that's not a good thing. Signing a guy big money for big term when you know he has injury issues? Yikes

Nylander's worst year and he was still on pace for only 6 fewer points than Anderson's career high. I don't think it's worth it to compare it to Anderson's low.

If Anderson couldn't put up Nylander numbers playing with Panarin, he won't do it with Suzuki.

Also, 47 goals in 70 games, elite 2 way center (2nd in the league in takeaways), 80 points in 70 games, at 22 years old? I'm willing to pay 11.6M for a top 5-6 center in the league at 22 years old. Matthews is also literally the same size as Anderson
Oct. 14, 2020 at 4:05 p.m.
PittsburghModelMyAss
CounterCounter points:

Why does the cap friendly Seattle Expansion draft simulator have Poehling as exempt then..? O_o
Oct. 14, 2020 at 4:06 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
CounterCounter points:

Chiarot’s contract is better because he isn’t a burden, cap wise or on roster space, since he can be easily moved to make room for Norlinder and Harris, and later Guhle and Struble.

I never said Evans was exempt. Poehling is exempt, he only played 1 game in the 18-19 season, which doesn’t count as a pro season. And no matter how well the defense performs, it’s better for Seattle to pick a defenseman rather than a good top 6 forward, since we already have too many D for next year.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 4:08 p.m.
Evans is not exempt. Poehling is though. RFA rules are how they determine it (not ELC). Poehling had to play 40 games as a pro in 18/19 and he only played 1. Don't believe me? W Nylander was exempt in the last expansion draft and it was because he played 37 AHL games in 14/15.

Oh really?! Oh ok sry then @Kotkaniemi15 . I thought for sure, seeing as if they allow the teams to burn a year of ELC at the end of the season then that whole year would count as experience. Hmm ok.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 4:09 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
You should wait to give firm opinions until after this next season is played. Things will change for a lot of our assets (good and bad)

Even if Toffoli & Anderson both have down years, it would be stupid to give up on them after 1 season. And best case scenario for Edmundson he is almost as good as Chiarot, in which I would still rather protect Chiarot because of his contract.
Oct. 14, 2020 at 4:10 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Oh really?! Oh ok sry then @Kotkaniemi15 . I thought for sure, seeing as if they allow the teams to burn a year of ELC at the end of the season then that whole year would count as experience. Hmm ok.

It’s the weird players signed out of College thing, where the players burn a year off their contract, but lose a lot of things that normal players coming off their ELCs would get, like the ability to sign offer sheets as an example.
Oct. 15, 2020 at 7:20 a.m.
habrye@hotmail.com

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's falls in line with when the RFA years kick in. 1 ELC year was burned with Poehling but not a RFA year. Need to play 40 games. Pretty sure Poehling is exempt. Habs are lucky with Suzuki, Romanov, Poehling, Brook, Primeau being exempt. If we didn't rush Kotkaniemi in his age 18 season, he would be exempt too!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll