Forums/Armchair-GM

Bring Galley home

Created by: Okthenbyebyenow
Team: 2020-21 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 12, 2020
Published: Oct. 14, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I love Yamo and he has the potential to be at Gallagher’s level someday but Galley is a difference maker now. If he’s available then Holland should be all in trying to get him in a deal. This deal leaves the Oilers with enough cap space to fit Klefbom if or when he returns, or to sign another LHD
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,750,000
Trades
EDM
  1. Gallagher, Brendan
  2. Kulak, Brett
  3. 2021 3rd round pick (CHI)
MTL
  1. Russell, Kris
  2. Yamamoto, Kailer
  3. 2021 1st round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$81,500,000$76,341,533$341,534$500,000$5,158,467

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 6
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 5
$1,175,000$1,175,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,650,000$1,650,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 4
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$2,150,000$2,150,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,600,000$5,600,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
G
NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$875,000$875,000
LW
UFA - 1
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 15, 2020 at 12:24 p.m.
PittsburghModelMyAss
Quoting: Miguelicious
You forget that he's 29 and a half when he starts that contract, has a history of injury because of how he plays coupled with his lack of size.

So as I said years 3, maybe 4? Alright, pretty decent. 33-1/2 year old making 6.5M. Here's hoping his skating doesn't decline or his play doesn't taper off, or he gets another injury though, right?

You gave him the raise because he's a bulldog who runs after the puck and fights for it, getting beaten and bloodied at times but everyone respects him for it I get it. If he takes that facet of his game out (to preserve his health), then what was the point of the huge extension?

Perfect, that's what i thought. You have no clue what you're talking about 😂 history of injury? He's had 3 injuries in 8 years, two of which are blocking a shot off the same hand, one is getting crosschecked in the face. So there's that.

His skating has never been his strong suit. He doesn't rely on it nor does he use it to beat ppl off the rush. He's a grind it out type guy so even if his skating declines he'll most likely still be effective.

And like you said, he's a Bulldog. You can take the dog out of the fight but not the fight out of the dog! 😉

Lastly, it's funny that you say Holland hangs up and deletes my number off of the Gallagher for Hollway + trade, and yet... Holland didn't hang up when detroit stole two 2nd rounders for AA sooooo really anything is possible with that terrible GM you got over there 🤷‍♂️
Oct. 15, 2020 at 12:37 p.m.
Oil Country Rising
Quoting: TheGHANDI90
Perfect, that's what i thought. You have no clue what you're talking about 😂 history of injury? He's had 3 injuries in 8 years, two of which are blocking a shot off the same hand, one is getting crosschecked in the face. So there's that.

His skating has never been his strong suit. He doesn't rely on it nor does he use it to beat ppl off the rush. He's a grind it out type guy his skating can decline and he'll still be effective.

And like you said, he's a Bulldog. You can take the dog out of the fight but not the fight out of the dog! 😉

LMAO alright then, guess age doesn't matter when they sign you to a huge contract. Lucic never declined, Neal never declined, etc. The game never got faster for either of those guys too since neither were known as 'fast' to begin with. Now they're bottom 6 guys making 5M+.

If you start at 'average' skating, and factor in the decline due to age, you automatically become even slower in a league that's becoming faster as a whole. But hey, he can grind it out on the corner though, right? Best hope the puck stays there.

Literally a LOT of cautionary tales about signing almost-30 year olds to long contracts, not like the criticism is new or anything. Good luck!
Oct. 15, 2020 at 12:44 p.m.
PittsburghModelMyAss
LMAO alright then, guess age doesn't matter when they sign you to a huge contract. Lucic never declined, Neal never declined, etc. The game never got faster for either of those guys too since neither were known as 'fast' to begin with. Now they're bottom 6 guys making 5M+.

If you start at 'average' skating, and factor in the decline due to age, you automatically become even slower in a league that's becoming faster as a whole. But hey, he can grind it out on the corner though, right? Best hope the puck stays there.

Literally a LOT of cautionary tales about signing almost-30 year olds to long contracts, not like the criticism is new or anything. Good luck!

Ie: Pavelski, Parise, if these guys can do it so will Gally 🤷‍♂️
Oct. 15, 2020 at 12:56 p.m.
Oil Country Rising
Ie: Pavelski, Parise, if these guys can do it so will Gally 🤷‍♂️

You're reaching. Both are a cut above gallagher. Pav is not a middle 6 grinder, and Parise still gets by because of his speed. Also, neither guy gets beaten into a pulp every other shift due to their play style.
Oct. 16, 2020 at 2:15 a.m.
PittsburghModelMyAss
You're reaching. Both are a cut above gallagher. Pav is not a middle 6 grinder, and Parise still gets by because of his speed. Also, neither guy gets beaten into a pulp every other shift due to their play style.

and you're just a hater... gallagher is of the same cloth, their all heart and soul guys. You ante up then their contracts are up. And if you don't agree, it's because you would probably make for a bad GM. You don't just let players of this ilk walk at UFA because you don't want to overpay them 500k and are scared of what they "might" become in the backend of the 6-yr deal... Final 2 years will be dealt with IF and when need be. Gallagher is a lifetime hab, get used to it.
Oct. 16, 2020 at 9:48 a.m.
Oil Country Rising
and you're just a hater... gallagher is of the same cloth, their all heart and soul guys. You ante up then their contracts are up. And if you don't agree, it's because you would probably make for a bad GM. You don't just let players of this ilk walk at UFA because you don't want to overpay them 500k and are scared of what they "might" become in the backend of the 6-yr deal... Final 2 years will be dealt with IF and when need be. Gallagher is a lifetime hab, get used to it.

so not wanting to handcuff my team to a bad contract would make me a bad GM. that's something new lol.

i guess i cant arrive at the same conclusion as most the sports analysts who actually get paid to do this for a living, hey? god forbid someone who isnt on TV or Radio actually criticizes your team, players, or GM.

go on believing this is a great deal, it's your right. ill keep on maintaining my stance: back half's gonna bite ass and i actually really like gally.

FYI if I could get real with you for a sec, of all the canadian teams other than the Oilers, I actually like the habs the most. Habs fans though? some of the most shortsighted, stubborn, know-it-all homers I have ever seen, right up there with Leafs clowns. I work with one in the office and dude thinks he oozes hockey IQ. usually dead last in our league and he wonders why lmao.

all in all? I hope it works out, but I highly doubt it's gonna be smooth sailing.
Oct. 16, 2020 at 11:28 a.m.
PittsburghModelMyAss
so not wanting to handcuff my team to a bad contract would make me a bad GM. that's something new lol.

i guess i cant arrive at the same conclusion as most the sports analysts who actually get paid to do this for a living, hey? god forbid someone who isnt on TV or Radio actually criticizes your team, players, or GM.

go on believing this is a great deal, it's your right. ill keep on maintaining my stance: back half's gonna bite ass and i actually really like gally.

FYI if I could get real with you for a sec, of all the canadian teams other than the Oilers, I actually like the habs the most. Habs fans though? some of the most shortsighted, stubborn, know-it-all homers I have ever seen, right up there with Leafs clowns. I work with one in the office and dude thinks he oozes hockey IQ. usually dead last in our league and he wonders why lmao.

all in all? I hope it works out, but I highly doubt it's gonna be smooth sailing.

1) a 6 year deal at 6.5mil is not handcuffing your team. Now if your argument was with Price's contract, you'd actually have smtg!
2) Who in the hell are you following that says this is a bad contract? Literally nobody on the whole TSN network agrees with your stance.
3) I never said it is a "great" deal, it's a deal that HAD to get done to maintain a good relationship with your players. Guys who have BLED for you for years since he was drafted. A bad GM (what you want them to do) would let him walk in free agency over dollars and cents and an extra year or two of term, a good GM signs him and worries about the repercussions when and IF his play declines as much as you think it will in the backend of the deal.
4) Wait, so you weren't real with me the whole time..? haha well damn! Why didn't you just say so brother
5) I like Vancouver's chances the best, after a few years when all their vets are gone and their younger guys become vets themselves...
Oct. 16, 2020 at 12:00 p.m.
Oil Country Rising
1) a 6 year deal at 6.5mil is not handcuffing your team. Now if your argument was with Price's contract, you'd actually have smtg!
2) Who in the hell are you following that says this is a bad contract? Literally nobody on the whole TSN network agrees with your stance.
3) I never said it is a "great" deal, it's a deal that HAD to get done to maintain a good relationship with your players. Guys who have BLED for you for years since he was drafted. A bad GM (what you want them to do) would let him walk in free agency over dollars and cents and an extra year or two of term, a good GM signs him and worries about the repercussions when and IF his play declines as much as you think it will in the backend of the deal.
4) Wait, so you weren't real with me the whole time..? haha well damn! Why didn't you just say so brother
5) I like Vancouver's chances the best, after a few years when all their vets are gone and their younger guys become vets themselves...

1. The AAV was never the issue. It's term! Had bergie sign Gally to even a 7M AAV over 3 years? Safe bet, I'd have applauded this 100%.
2. Going off of media guys that cover the Oilers, regular show guests like Button, Johnson, Macramalla, etc all share the same sentiment: back half is atrocious.
3. That's exactly the Chiarelli approach, and me having recency bias because of the crap he pulled added to this. Again, AAV was never the issue, 1 year extra? fine, 4 aint too bad. But SIX? yikes.
4 & 5. i know we're all uptight about the teams we support. myself, I'm not a fan of 100% everything Holland's done, I generally call it how it is instead of making excuses about it and finding confirmation bias to soften facts.

Gally @ 7 or even 7.5M for that matter, for 3 maybe 4 years would have been WAY more attractive than 6.5 for 6. Anserson was another head-scratcher especially coming off injury which severely hampered his play, Allen extension when he still had 1 year was a surprise.

Toffoli was pretty solid. 28 year old, paying for prime years at a reasonable AAV, only 4 years.
Oct. 16, 2020 at 1:39 p.m.
PittsburghModelMyAss
1. The AAV was never the issue. It's term! Had bergie sign Gally to even a 7M AAV over 3 years? Safe bet, I'd have applauded this 100%.
2. Going off of media guys that cover the Oilers, regular show guests like Button, Johnson, Macramalla, etc all share the same sentiment: back half is atrocious.
3. That's exactly the Chiarelli approach, and me having recency bias because of the crap he pulled added to this. Again, AAV was never the issue, 1 year extra? fine, 4 aint too bad. But SIX? yikes.
4 & 5. i know we're all uptight about the teams we support. myself, I'm not a fan of 100% everything Holland's done, I generally call it how it is instead of making excuses about it and finding confirmation bias to soften facts.

Gally @ 7 or even 7.5M for that matter, for 3 maybe 4 years would have been WAY more attractive than 6.5 for 6. Anserson was another head-scratcher especially coming off injury which severely hampered his play, Allen extension when he still had 1 year was a surprise.

Toffoli was pretty solid. 28 year old, paying for prime years at a reasonable AAV, only 4 years.

Ok yeah sure, of course a 3 year deal is way more attractive, but why the hell would Gallagher want that after having played out his last contract at a reduced cap hit of 3.75? He gave the team a discount on his early years, so the team/GM is rewarding him in his later ones. Don't like it? Sure. Had to do it? Yes.

Anderson contract I think is going to be a huge mistake. Honestly Jake Allen is a fair one I hope he plays lights out next season, steals the starting job and Price agrees to be taken by Seattle... Toffoli is legit but I would have preferred Dadonov at 3x5
Oct. 16, 2020 at 2:48 p.m.
Oil Country Rising
Ok yeah sure, of course a 3 year deal is way more attractive, but why the hell would Gallagher want that after having played out his last contract at a reduced cap hit of 3.75? He gave the team a discount on his early years, so the team/GM is rewarding him in his later ones. Don't like it? Sure. Had to do it? Yes.

Anderson contract I think is going to be a huge mistake. Honestly Jake Allen is a fair one I hope he plays lights out next season, steals the starting job and Price agrees to be taken by Seattle... Toffoli is legit but I would have preferred Dadonov at 3x5

That's the thing, you knew you had to give him a raise. You knew the cap was staying flat for the next couple seasons or three even. Berg had all the leverage if he WAITED.

Look at Chiarelli for a sec, all the dumb things he did and he was horrible overall BUT he had the foresight to hold off on anything until he had locked up McDavid and Draisaitl. Free agents went and gone, but he held firm to getting these done and planning based on what happened there.

Had they held off on signing Anderson until Gally was done they could've avoided some issue.

Anderson 5.5
Gall 6.5

Had they bridged Anderson at say bit more than double what he was making (3x 4M), pretty reasonable for a guy coming off a 26GP 1G campaign in a flat cap world I'd say, they could've even overpaid Gally by 1.5M and called it a day.

In the end it's all dollars that matter. So to keep dollar amounts equal:

Gally 6.5 x 6
Anderson 5.5 x 7
tot 12M

vs

Gally 8 x 3
Anderson 4 x 3
tot 12M

Then re-sign both at a pricepoint befitting the current cap situation, health, production, age, etc at that time.

You can overspend on dollars or overspend on term, but when you overspend on both at the same time it usually ends up biting you in the ass.

Going back to Parise, you think Minny (or NJ) would've loved a mulligan in that middle of that 13 year megadeal now that Parise unfortunately developed knee issues? Heck yeah. He's great, but he aint no 7.5M player in today's flat cap world that's for damn sure.
BigBadBurke liked this.
Oct. 17, 2020 at 1:21 a.m.
PittsburghModelMyAss
That's the thing, you knew you had to give him a raise. You knew the cap was staying flat for the next couple seasons or three even. Berg had all the leverage if he WAITED.

Look at Chiarelli for a sec, all the dumb things he did and he was horrible overall BUT he had the foresight to hold off on anything until he had locked up McDavid and Draisaitl. Free agents went and gone, but he held firm to getting these done and planning based on what happened there.

Had they held off on signing Anderson until Gally was done they could've avoided some issue.

Anderson 5.5
Gall 6.5

Had they bridged Anderson at say bit more than double what he was making (3x 4M), pretty reasonable for a guy coming off a 26GP 1G campaign in a flat cap world I'd say, they could've even overpaid Gally by 1.5M and called it a day.

In the end it's all dollars that matter. So to keep dollar amounts equal:

Gally 6.5 x 6
Anderson 5.5 x 7
tot 12M

vs

Gally 8 x 3
Anderson 4 x 3
tot 12M

Then re-sign both at a pricepoint befitting the current cap situation, health, production, age, etc at that time.

You can overspend on dollars or overspend on term, but when you overspend on both at the same time it usually ends up biting you in the ass.

Going back to Parise, you think Minny (or NJ) would've loved a mulligan in that middle of that 13 year megadeal now that Parise unfortunately developed knee issues? Heck yeah. He's great, but he aint no 7.5M player in today's flat cap world that's for damn sure.

As a fan, it would have totally made more sense to sign them both to those deals, especially Anderson as he really is a question mark and somewhat unproven really. I guess bergevin is really banking on the fact that he trust these guys to be horses for the team, but idk really I'm not sold on a guy that had one good year. Gallagher contract 3x8 seems high but who knows thats 24mil in 3 years rather than 39 in 6 he may or may not have gone with it. We will never know now

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll