Forums/Armchair-GM

Roster Musings

Created by: ForsbergForVezina
Team: 2020-21 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 14, 2020
Published: Oct. 15, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I have so many questions about what this team is going to look like when the season starts up.

First big piece is Shaw. Shaw is a really, really effective player when healthy and performing well. We look back on that trade last offseason with our noses turned up, but when you look at Shaw's offensive analytics, he's is incredibly effective when it comes to creating high quality scoring chances. In a season limited to 26 games, was 2nd on the Blackhawks in both expected goals for relative to teammate and corsi for relative to teammate, behind Quenneville and Seeler respectively, neither of whom were regulars. In the games he played, Shaw was the best player on the team when it came to generating offense. He has a similar profile to Saad in this regard, where he's maybe more average defensively and isn't the best finisher but a beast at taking and generating high quality opportunities. I think we gotta give him at shot on the first line in hopes that he can replacing Saad's impact next to Kuby and Toews. I really hope he stays healthy, because we saw in 18-19 what he's capable of. Could be an X-factor this season if he can stay in the lineup.

The bottom 6 is a mess, but a good mess. With Shaw back in the top-6 and Strome and Janmark being all but guaranteed a spot, that leaves four spots for Kampf, Wallmark, Highmore, Suter, Carpenter, Pirri and Nylander. I'd love to hear how people feel about how these sports are going to be distributed, because I'm at a total loss. My best conjecture is this:

Suter didn't come over at 25 and during a pandemic to play in the AHL. Lots of upside and he's a finished product. He's going to get a spot. Nylander is much the same in terms of upside and he did show some improvement this year (despite being invisible in the playoffs). I suppose you could switch him and DeBrincat so Cat is playing with Strome, but I'm not a big fan of Nylander on the 2nd line, so he's gotta perform well at 3RW before I'd be comfortable with moving him up.

Wallmark I actually like a lot as a shutdown center. I think he's probably a little better offensively than Kampf too, which is a big plus because Kampf brings next to no offense. I wonder if we could find a taker for Kampf, because I do think he's a really effective 4th liner, but I see Wallmark as an upgrade, so Kampf seems a bit redundant at this point. You could argue the same for Carpenter, but I think he's a better penalty killer so keeping him around to anchor that, especially after losing Maatta and Koekkoek should be a priority.

Finally, I'm a huge fan of Highmore and would like to see him grow into the role Caggiula previously held. Really good energy forward with some skill and physicality; long term I think he's perfect for the 4th line. I think he'd have to clear waivers to go back to Rockford, so he should be on the roster on anyways, it's just a matter of whether or not he'll play every day. I think he should, but like I said, I kinda prefer Carpenter for the PK, so I'm projecting he'll make it over Highmore.

Pirri is the last guy I mentioned and I just don't know where he fits. Seems like AHL depth to me. Still have no idea why we got him. Can come up and down and play decent and they know he'll clear waivers. Idk, would've rather kept Sikura.

Overall, I'm optimistic. Just a lot of puzzle pieces to figure out. Who do you guys think is the best of our three close-to-being-ready LHDs, Kalynuk, Beaudin or Carlsson?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,250,000
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$70,023,814$1,090,244$5,900,000$11,476,186
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$3,700,000$3,700,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$6,400,000$6,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, RW
RFA - 2
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$562,500$562,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 3
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,550,000$4,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 3
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 15, 2020 at 11:05 a.m.
Hawks Fan
I had never thought about Shaw as RW1 so that’s a very interesting idea and it does unclog the bottom 6 a little. I guess Nylander could also play the RW1 here and there because he has to succeed or else what an epic failure of a trade. I have to imagine Hawks want to give him every opportunity to succeed and RW1 might be it.

I’m not privy to Kalynuk at all. I have to imagine Carlson might be more ready but Beaudin’s ceiling isn’t higher.

Someone has to be getting traded from the bottom 6 because as busy as it is, we haven’t even touched on Kurashev, Entwistle, Barrett, or even Teply. Eventually those guys all need a chance too.
Oct. 15, 2020 at 11:06 a.m.
TazerKaner1988
The problem is not the lineup, which is in fact riddled with holes... but the goaltending. How did we not pick up a goalie at some point along the way. If we had an NHL proven competent netminder... we would at least be in a fight for a playoff spot... as it sits, the offence will find enough ways to win to send us into an endless purgatory of mid-1st picks until the core retires... not looking forward to these next few years.
Oct. 15, 2020 at 11:24 a.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: Jco5ta5
I had never thought about Shaw as RW1 so that’s a very interesting idea and it does unclog the bottom 6 a little. I guess Nylander could also play the RW1 here and there because he has to succeed or else what an epic failure of a trade. I have to imagine Hawks want to give him every opportunity to succeed and RW1 might be it.

I’m not privy to Kalynuk at all. I have to imagine Carlson might be more ready but Beaudin’s ceiling isn’t higher.

Someone has to be getting traded from the bottom 6 because as busy as it is, we haven’t even touched on Kurashev, Entwistle, Barrett, or even Teply. Eventually those guys all need a chance too.

Teply and Kurashev are probably still a little ways away, but yeah, there's too many guys as it is, which is why I'm surprised they picked up Wallmark and Janmark, as much as I do like those guys. I stressed this a lot in the little essay I wrote, but the PK was totally transformed last year. Koekkoek, Smith and Maatta were big parts of it, but I don't expect any of them to be back next season (Maatta is already gone), so I think keeping what we can of it together would be advantageous. The numbers say Carpenter was pretty good, while Kampf wasn't as good, so if we want to work under the assumption they're fairly interchangeable at 5v5, Carpenter is the guy I'd rather hold onto. I think with moving at one of those two guys, you're fine for the most part and then call up rookies in the event of injuries.

As for the defensemen, I'm with you on Kalynuk, I know very little about him. I've heard that he could have top-4 upside and also that he's an AHL d-man at best, so I have no idea what to make it lol. I really like Beaudin -- maybe it's the 1st rounder tag -- I think he and Carlsson both get looks next year at some point. I'd use Carlsson in a trade at some point if it means addressing another need, as we do have bit of a surplus of young defensemen but that's also a good thing I suppose. Lots of options, which is pretty comforting, hopefully we get to see them all explored
Oct. 15, 2020 at 11:24 a.m.
See, my opinion of Kampf is different. He actually has very good offensive awareness, hes just been hampered by having two guys with bricks for hands, Smith and Carpenter, on his line for the whole year. I do wonder if putting him at right wing would open up his offense a little bit. So my 4th line would be Highmore-Wallmark-Kampf. Having Kampf for draws on the PK would be more beneficial than carpenter IMO. As far as the lineup goes, I assume Shaw isnt going to be ready to start the season, because his status is still unknown right now. I think I would slot Janmark up there and move Suter up to the 3rd line. I am a little conflicted, because I think Debrincat just fits on the line with Suter and Strome more than he fits with Dach and Kane, but I dont think Nylander fits well with Dach and Kane. Probably something to sort out in training camp.
exo2769 liked this.
Oct. 15, 2020 at 11:26 a.m.
exo2769
Interesting thoughts. I would place Shaw as the #1 RW and see how it works out. I 100% agree that when healthy he's quite good offensively and a pest to the opposing team. I would give the #2LW to Pius Suter. Why??? a few reasons. Older, more physically ready, more offensively talented than most the bottom six not named Nylander. (But I wouldn't put Nylander there for the other reasons.) Suter is THE big Euro signing of the entire NHL sooo...I would allow his some additional leash because of the success the Blackhawks have found there ..like Kubalik. That means I'd put Debrincat back with Strome on the #3LW. Why??? I like rolling 3 scoring lines. I think this is a more effect way to play IF Strome's going to be the #3C. However, I'd insert Kampf over Carpenter as the #4RW in this particular lineup.

Still interested to see what happens with Strome though. I could see Kampf Wallmark being a #3C/#4C combo. That would roll two defense forward groups that's probably bit more suited for our lack of experience in net. I like the defensive quite a bit. If DeHaan gets hurt I'd insert Carlsson. Carlsson has nothing left to prove in the AHL and really deserves more NHL ice time.
Oct. 15, 2020 at 11:26 a.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: mackerplaymaker94
The problem is not the lineup, which is in fact riddled with holes... but the goaltending. How did we not pick up a goalie at some point along the way. If we had an NHL proven competent netminder... we would at least be in a fight for a playoff spot... as it sits, the offence will find enough ways to win to send us into an endless purgatory of mid-1st picks until the core retires... not looking forward to these next few years.

That's definitely one way of looking at it. Personally, I'm fine with rebuilding on the fly -- I'd really rather not see this team totally bottom out. I do like Delia and even if he's a lower end starter, I think we could be in decent shape this season. Lankinen is a total mystery box too, if he can come in and play well, that would be a nice surprise. But you're right, a real goalie could definitely put us in contention for a spot I think
Oct. 15, 2020 at 12:05 p.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: exo2769
Interesting thoughts. I would place Shaw as the #1 RW and see how it works out. I 100% agree that when healthy he's quite good offensively and a pest to the opposing team. I would give the #2LW to Pius Suter. Why??? a few reasons. Older, more physically ready, more offensively talented than most the bottom six not named Nylander. (But I wouldn't put Nylander there for the other reasons.) Suter is THE big Euro signing of the entire NHL sooo...I would allow his some additional leash because of the success the Blackhawks have found there ..like Kubalik. That means I'd put Debrincat back with Strome on the #3LW. Why??? I like rolling 3 scoring lines. I think this is a more effect way to play IF Strome's going to be the #3C. However, I'd insert Kampf over Carpenter as the #4RW in this particular lineup.

Still interested to see what happens with Strome though. I could see Kampf Wallmark being a #3C/#4C combo. That would roll two defense forward groups that's probably bit more suited for our lack of experience in net. I like the defensive quite a bit. If DeHaan gets hurt I'd insert Carlsson. Carlsson has nothing left to prove in the AHL and really deserves more NHL ice time.

Suter at 2LW is something I'd be interested in too, not sure if he's Kubalik too but if he can be a nice complimentary scorer with some reliable two-way play, that would be great. Like I said, DeBrincat and Strome on the same line is probably ideal, so seeing if Suter can hold his own in the "top-6" might be a good risk to take.

If they do end up trading Strome, it has to be for the right piece back (Weegar or a goalie). I don't want to move him just for the sake of moving him, I really like the idea of having three really good centers. I think it would be great having him with DeBrincat and another defensive winger (Janmark maybe), could really balance out that line
exo2769 liked this.
Oct. 15, 2020 at 6:25 p.m.
Hawks Fan
@ForsbergForVezina i meant to say beaudins cap is* higher, not isn’t.

You know Janmark and Wallmark can also be flipped at TDL for picks to teams looking to shore up for the playoff run. Buffalo is smart signing Hall to a 1 year contract. They can easily flip that dude with 50% retained for a nice haul (no pun intended!). So maybe by TDL time those two are tossed out and makes room for the young kids to come up. Same can be said for DeHaan, Murphy, or evening Keith.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll