SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

New York Rangers signed Anthony Deangelo (2 Years / $4,800,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Oct. 15, 2020 at 9:21 p.m.
Big Buch Energy
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
This is a hockey site not a politics site so I don’t see why a guys personal image has anything to do with his contract. Also being a complete idiot off the ice doesn’t make him one on the ice

My sentiments exactly
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Oct. 15, 2020 at 9:32 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
It sucks that people like this can make this much money, but that’s how it goes. Good deal & good player in a vacuum, but hockey players are more (or in this case less) than just their hockey skills.
Oct. 15, 2020 at 9:35 p.m.
Having different political views than you doesn't make people like TDA bad people. You guys are really going down that trap, aren't you...we all grow from when we were 18. He probably has, too.
Saskleaf liked this.
Oct. 15, 2020 at 9:41 p.m.
Quoting: buchiegang
Great signing; movable when Miller and Lundkvist are ready to go...

Quoting: Wqrrior
This is the type of player that should get short term. Very smart giving him only 2 years. AAV is a bit high for the nature of the league right now, but it beats giving him term. Something tells me he will fall off of a cliff. Ghost and Gustafsson vibes from this guy.

Quoting: Brian2016
This is a lot of money for a 2-year deal, no?

Quoting: Ragsandbluesfan
Regardless of how much term he got hed be gone in 2021 when nils comes over

Quoting: tormundgiantsbane
I don't hate it because it's short-term and not as high of a cap hit as I had thought it would be, but man, I REALLY hope they don't re-sign him after this contract. Hopefully Nils Lundkvist proves himself before then!

Trouba got much less power play time in New York then in WPG for the record but your point still stands

Quoting: bhavikp27
Looking forward to see Johnson-DeAngelo stuck in d-zone

Quoting: kaljakori
He's a good player but a total pos so I can't vote yes.

As soon as he comes over (2021) deangelo is being traded

I highly doubt he completes this contract in NY. And if he does they can pull a Hayes, resign him to his 1 year QO and deal him as a premiere rental...

Quoting: tormundgiantsbane
I'm looking forward to that haha. Can't stand DeAngelo.

Quoting: kaljakori
I mean can you blame the voters? Guys like this aren't exactly helping hockey's image.

I suppose not but it’s not like the guys an extremist. Yes he’s an asshole and very open about his unpopular political views but he’s also a good hockey player and the lockeroom seems to love him. In fact I’d say he’s shown quite a bit of growth form his Sarnia days. It’s fine to have your opinion on him but I just thing it’s useless and unproductive to judge a singing based on a guys off ice life instead of cap and roster ramifications. That’s just me though.....

Quoting: A_Habs_fan
This is a hockey site not a politics site so I don’t see why a guys personal image has anything to do with his contract. Also being a complete idiot off the ice doesn’t make him one on the ice

Guys WHY does everyone seem to hate this guy?

I know nothing about him and I assume he isn't great defensively.

But even on a PERSONAL level people seem to hate him? Why?
Oct. 15, 2020 at 9:44 p.m.
Rangers 2023
Quoting: drewjenkins

He has a past of being a ****ty teammate along with some notes of racism
Wqrrior and Trickster liked this.
Oct. 15, 2020 at 9:47 p.m.
Quoting: drewjenkins

Quoting: Hockyluv21
Having different political views than you doesn't make people like TDA bad people. You guys are really going down that trap, aren't you...we all grow from when we were 18. He probably has, too.

He verbally abuses refs and used racial slurs to address his own teammates.

This is a good hockey player but not a good guy.

I don't care what someone's political views are as long as they are respectful of other people but this guy clearly isn't.
Oct. 15, 2020 at 9:48 p.m.

There's no evidence out there that he's a bad teammate now, though. When he was, ahem, 18...yeah. Humans aren't static creatures, though. They can learn.
Oct. 15, 2020 at 9:49 p.m.
Quoting: Leafs_and_Sens_Fan

I don't care what someone's political views are as long as they are respectful of other people but this guy clearly isn't.

Again, our brains aren't fully developed at 18. I've done and said a lot of regretful stuff at that age. We grow from it. None of TDA's bad behavior is recent.
Oct. 15, 2020 at 9:50 p.m.
Big Buch Energy

I don’t know how you conflate something someone did at 18 and automatically assume they are still doing it. I’m sure there’s plenty of thing you and I said and did at 18 that we regret now. Not defending what he did but it’s not always so black and white...
Hockyluv21 liked this.
Oct. 15, 2020 at 9:52 p.m.
AwesomeMatthews
Oct. 15, 2020 at 9:57 p.m.
torontos finest
A bit surprised the contract isn't $800,000 cheaper
Oct. 15, 2020 at 9:57 p.m.
Edited Oct. 16, 2020 at 1:34 a.m.
Again, our brains aren't fully developed at 18. I've done and said a lot of regretful stuff at that age. We grow from it. None of TDA's bad behavior is recent.

I don’t know how you conflate something someone did at 18 and automatically assume they are still doing it. I’m sure there’s plenty of thing you and I said and did at 18 that we regret now. Not defending what he did but it’s not always so black and white...

He was suspended for verbally abusing and using physical force against a league official in 2017. He was even benched by the Rangers several times in 2019 for behavioural problems.

I've never said or did anything even close to as bad as what he posted on social media in terms or racism, homophobia and sexism. It wasn't just a single incident either.

Being a good player trumps being a good person in this league but you're kidding yourself if you think this is a good guy.

I'd say the exact same thing if he played for the Sens or the Leafs. Just do some actual research on the guy and look at the stuff he wrote before you say he was just 18... I wouldn't even think of saying that kind of stuff at that age.
Wqrrior and Trickster liked this.
Oct. 15, 2020 at 10:05 p.m.
torontos finest
There's no evidence out there that he's a bad teammate now, though. When he was, ahem, 18...yeah. Humans aren't static creatures, though. They can learn.

man the leaps and bounds people will go to to defend terrible people from any sort of criticism
Trickster liked this.
Oct. 15, 2020 at 10:05 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: MaxDomi13
I was expecting 5x5, but this works

Is NYR gonna turn salary cap off as well? (@ AndrewLadd)

It’s definitely possible lol
Oct. 15, 2020 at 10:25 p.m.
I'm hoping Gorton is planning to trade him to Seattle next year in exchange for not taking someone else, like Florida did with Vegas (but hopefully not with the same end result lol). I just don't think ADA is a good defenseman. Puts up a ton of points, yes, but he's horrible defensively.
Trickster liked this.
Oct. 15, 2020 at 10:25 p.m.
Big Buch Energy
He was suspended for verbally abusing and using physical force against a league official in 2017. He was even benched by the Rangers several times in 2019 for behavioural problems.

I've never said or did anything even close to as bad as what he posted on social media in terms or racism, homophobia and sexism. It wasn't just a single incident either.

Being good trumps being a good person in this league but you're kidding yourself if you think this is a good guy.

I'd say the exact same thing if he played for the Sens or the Leafs. Just do some actual research on the guy and look at the stuff he wrote before you say he was just 18... I wouldn't even think of saying that kind of stuff at that age.

Didn’t really know his full rap sheet. Can’t argue with anything you’ve said...
Oct. 15, 2020 at 10:31 p.m.
Everyone remember, you always get a second chance and no one should judge you on past actions, unless of course your a trump fan then we are going to downvote your contract even when it is clearly good.
Oct. 15, 2020 at 10:36 p.m.
Am Yisrael Chai
Great signing; movable when Miller and Lundkvist are ready to go...

Schneider too.
buchiegang and weirfanno1 liked this.
Oct. 15, 2020 at 10:36 p.m.
Am Yisrael Chai
I like this signing as well. Little higher AAV with both than I believed but good term. NYR have a boatload of cap space in 2022-23.
Oct. 15, 2020 at 11:35 p.m.
Banned
Whoever put NO please identify yourself so I know to take any future input you have on my ACGMs with a grain of salt on a baby monkeys ass.
Oct. 16, 2020 at 12:20 a.m.

That's a very serious accusation. Without being too specific, why do you say he's a racist? I read a yahoo article that insinuated he was suspended while in the OHL for violating the league's policy against "homophobic, racist, sexist, and the other derogatory language." That sounds a little bit vague. Is there any specific reference to any specific instance? Thx.
Oct. 16, 2020 at 1:13 a.m.
Banned
great signing for both the team and player. Bridge him and get 1 crack at him before FA.
Oct. 16, 2020 at 1:35 a.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
That's a very serious accusation. Without being too specific, why do you say he's a racist? I read a yahoo article that insinuated he was suspended while in the OHL for violating the league's policy against "homophobic, racist, sexist, and the other derogatory language." That sounds a little bit vague. Is there any specific reference to any specific instance? Thx.

The stuff he posted on his twitter account that I won't re-post here (because I would get banned). Very disgraceful...
Oct. 16, 2020 at 4:45 a.m.
The stuff he posted on his twitter account that I won't re-post here (because I would get banned). Very disgraceful...

Oh ok. thx. So it was more than just the incident from his time in the OHL, right? Sounds like another example of why pro athletes shouldn't live on twitter.
Oct. 16, 2020 at 5:04 a.m.
Why does everyone automatically assume Miller and Lundqvist are the heir apparent Rangers D? I mean, is Miller really that good of a prospect? His offensive numbers were very mediocre last season. Is he a stud defensively? I've heard Lundqvist is a top 4 D in the making. Anyone have any insights into Miller?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit