SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

5 Most Improved Teams Since Cup Final

Most Improved Team?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Oct. 20, 2020 at 6:42 p.m.
Most improved:

1. Colorado Avalanche: I love the trade for Saad. He's gonna be a big part of their Stanley Cup run next season. As good as this move was, however, the trade for Devon Toews was even better. I watched him a lot with NYI. He's a rock solid top 4 D who can play at both ends of the ice. The trade with the Isles once agin shows how important an asset cap space can be for contending teams. I think the Avs start next season as the overwhelming favorite in the West.

2. Ottawa Senators: Anytime you add two top 5 picks you're making big time progress. I would've taken Stutzle at #2, so I really like this draft for the Sens. Signing Dadonov should provide some much needed offense. Murray was probably a bit overpaid, otherwise they'd be #1.

3. New Jersey Devils: Not sure what Stan was thinking letting Crow go. This is my favorite Goalie move this offseason. The Devils also added three 1st rounders, a solid LHD in Murray, and they scored a big W by trading for Johnsson from the Leaf. They'll still probably miss the playoffs next season, but they're looking good down the road.

4. Edmonton Oilers: Adding Tyson Barrie alone gets them in the top 5. He's gonna score 55-60 points next season and should help make the league's #1 PP even more dangerous. The Turris signing was also incredibly opportunistic. Imagine if this team had average goaltending!

Buffalo Sabres: They've gone years w/o making any good decisions. But, Hall and Eichel could be one of the league's top dynamic duos next season. Adding Eric Staal for overpaid MoJo was also smart. This team still has a lot of holes, but they'll be much improved next season and very fun to watch.

Honorable Mentions:

6. MTL
7. VAN
8. CGY
9. TOR
10. LAK

Least Improved (Who Got Worse):

1. CHI: No identity. Even Capt. Toews sounds confused.
2. ARI: Epic disaster. Chayka destroyed this franchise and then split. Ouch! How'd that Hall trade work out?
3. FLA: 1/3 of top six is gone with no replacement, yet. Adding Hornqvist makes no sense to me.
Kotkaniemi15 and HabsForEver liked this.
Oct. 20, 2020 at 6:50 p.m.
OTT. Simply because they had the most room to improve of any team. They won't be winning the Cup next season, but the team looks so much better on paper than it did a few weeks ago.
sensibleguy and Brian2016 liked this.
Oct. 20, 2020 at 7:10 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
@Brian2016

I agree with most of everything you said. I wouldn’t put Edmonton as high though, since the loss of Klefbom pretty much nullifies the addition of Barrie, and other than that they’ve lost Benning & Athanasiou and added Turris & Puljujärvi. So I’d say they’re a bit better, but not enough to put them in the top 5.

And I don’t think that the Canucks got better, since while they did upgrade Tanev to Schmidt, they still downgraded Markstrom & lost Stetcher & Toffoli.

My top 10 would be:
1. COL
2. OTT
3. NJD
4. BUF
5. MTL
6. CGY
7. VGK
8. LAK
9. TOR
10. WPG
Brian2016 liked this.
Oct. 23, 2020 at 12:58 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
COL adding Saad and Toews pushes them over the top IMO. Watch for President's Trophy and maybe cup
Brian2016 liked this.
Oct. 23, 2020 at 4:22 p.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
@Brian2016

And I don’t think that the Canucks got better, since while they did upgrade Tanev to Schmidt, they still downgraded Markstrom & lost Stetcher & Toffoli.

The Canucks got better because JB didn't sign a ridiculous contract day 1 of free agency. Canuck fans were calling for his head but the fact that he kept his hands off his wallet "July 1" for the first time in years is a massive win for the canucks.
Brian2016 liked this.
Oct. 23, 2020 at 5:05 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: Rangsey
The Canucks got better because JB didn't sign a ridiculous contract day 1 of free agency. Canuck fans were calling for his head but the fact that he kept his hands off his wallet "July 1" for the first time in years is a massive win for the canucks.

Personally, I think long term they're better without Tanev/Markstrom/Stecher but worse without Toffoli.
Rangsey and Brian2016 liked this.
Oct. 23, 2020 at 5:25 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
Personally, I think long term they're better without Tanev/Markstrom/Stecher but worse without Toffoli.

I agree. But for the first time in awhile it looks like Jim Benning actually has an inkling of a plan. No just chasing the next quick fix.
Oct. 24, 2020 at 1:41 p.m.
How is Vancouver an honourable mention? They lost Toffoli, Tanev, Stetcher, Markstrom, and replaced them with Holtby and Schmidt (not bad players, but Marky>Holtby and the value of the other 3 is better than the value of Scmidt
Oct. 25, 2020 at 12:18 a.m.
Edited Oct. 25, 2020 at 12:30 a.m.
Quoting: leafs101
How is Vancouver an honourable mention? They lost Toffoli, Tanev, Stetcher, Markstrom, and replaced them with Holtby and Schmidt (not bad players, but Marky>Holtby and the value of the other 3 is better than the value of Scmidt

Benning managed the cap really well, in my opinion. Sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit