SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Toronto Maple Leafs signed Travis Dermott (1 Year / $874,125 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Oct. 24, 2020 at 9:26 a.m.
Quoting: drewjenkins
They have the whole roster signed, and don't have to make any trades.

You can thank Loui Lamoriello for Patty Marleau at $6,300,000 x 3 years (cost a 1st round pick)
You can also thank Lamoriello for Nikita Zaitsev at $4,500,000 x 6 years (cost Connor Brown)
You can also thank Lamoriello for renting Tom Plekanec to play #4C (cost a 2nd round pick)
You can also thank Lamoriello for renting Brian Boyle to play #4C (cost a 2nd round pick)
You can also thank Lamoriello for keeping JVR + Bozak + Komarov (cost a massive haul)

Joey Anderson had better even-strength points/game and goals/game than Johnsson last year (with worse line-mates).
He's also 4 years younger + better defensively + kills penalties (and would've played all year if he didn't break a bone).
Joey Anderson will be better than Johnsson within a season or two (for one fifth of the price).

LOL I don't think I've ever seen someone be so wrong, while simultaneously giving so much attitude (yikes!)

I'm with you on the first part, but thats pure fan bias to presume Anderson will be better than Johnsson. We got into cap trouble and had to sell Johnsson for pennies on the dollar in a ****ty market where cap space was supreme. Anderson's per game numbers are the epitome of small sample size and Johnsson is good defensively and can kill penalties whether he was used for it or not. We can hope he'll develop into better than Johnsson but it is FAR from a guarantee
Oct. 24, 2020 at 9:28 a.m.
Quoting: Leafs_and_Sens_Fan
Yeah 1.25Mx2 would have been awesome but just cause he didn't take that doesn't mean this is a player friendly contract...

That argument is just illogical. How could it be player friendly when it's literally the minimum money they could have given him.

Imagine if Marner took his QO. Then you say they should have locked him up 5Mx8. Yeah that would have been amazing but it's just not realistic.

I don't see Dermott knocking Muzzin, Rielly or Brodie out of the top 4.

Is he gonna be better than Sandin, Lehtonen and Holl playing his off side? I highly doubt it.

Injuries to Muzzin or Rielly...
Oct. 24, 2020 at 9:29 a.m.
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
The Left side is NEVER right, just liars.

What on Earth are you talking about
Oct. 24, 2020 at 9:31 a.m.
Quoting: Jamiepo
Yes the Lebanc deal was team friendly. Over 50 points, how much would he have got in arbitration? (I believe he was eligable) Apples and oranges.

Who is offersheeting anyone? Of course the leafs match. We still have contracts we can move. Think there are some way better targets out there with teams in much deeper trouble. And not one offersheet. Do you think even one gm approached Dermott to talk about a contract?

For the leafs this is literally the worst of 2 good options. I don’t consider him sitting out an option. 1 year deal good for Dermott 2 year deal good for the leafs.

Leafs save a bit of money this year so that eases the cap, 2 year deal would have gave Dermott a bit more money but he clearly makes out much better with this deal.

Dermott has zero leverage so really it’s going to work out for the leafs either way.

You're ignoring risk. Dermott carries all the risk here. If he has a major injury he gets no further contracts.
Oct. 24, 2020 at 9:38 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: BCAPP
You're ignoring risk. Dermott carries all the risk here. If he has a major injury he gets no further contracts.

100% true but that goes for every player on a 1 year deal and there are many of them.
BCAPP liked this.
Oct. 24, 2020 at 10:25 a.m.
Quoting: Jamiepo
100% true but that goes for every player on a 1 year deal and there are many of them.

Yup, but at least most get some decent money on their one year deals. He is not (not decent from a big 4 sport major league athlete, obviously way beyond decent for us plebes). But yeah.

I think its just fresh on my mind because of Dak Prescott just took that gamble and looks like he may have lost out on $100 mil + for it
Oct. 24, 2020 at 11:00 a.m.
Voice of unreason
Quoting: willdog37
I think Dubas' job is on the line if this team doesn't make a serious run. Seems like he's going all in this year

Not sure if making good depth signings and re-signing your current players should be considered all in... Its just called being a good GM.
BCAPP liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit