Forums/Armchair-GM

Leafs done Pens fan opinion

Created by: PGHBOB69
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 23, 2020
Published: Oct. 23, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is a good team. Even if you want to bring Engvall up to the 4th line LW and move Vesey up to the 3rd line LW. A lot of depth. A lot of bottom 4 forwards. And although Marincin and C.Rosen are nothing more than Depth 6-7th D(maybe 3rd pairing on a bad team), it’s still nice to have them in the system.

And having Sandin and Liljegren NHL ready and getting a lot of playing time in the AHL and also ready to step in if Lehtonen doesn’t adjust or Dermott isnt what he showed last year, or has alittle bit of a sophomore slump.

I don’t see Barabanov translating to the NHL game like Mikheyev did and Lehtonen will. From all accounts Lehtonen is the more highly touted, highly skilled player. And Mikheyev was too. And I just think it’s gonna be tough to count on 2 Russian players to come over and play on a contending team. That’s a lot to ask. And a lot of faith in 2 Russian players that never played 1 NHL game. I can see Barabanov being that 13th forward but the cap space is tight. And I think if he doesn’t make the roster. He’s going back to the KHL.

And I think Thornton is a steal for a team like the Leafs. Thornton can still make plays, see the ice well and pass great. I can see Thorton centering N.Robertson and Vesey or N.Robertson/Simmons or N.Robertson/Kerfoot. And that being a good scoring line. I don’t see them keeping Robertson up and on the 4th line or to sit in the press box. He atleast needs 3rd line minutes.

But I like how this roster panned out. A lot of bottom 4 forward depth. A lot better defense in front of F.Andersen. 21 man roster can work out. Good Luck Leafs!!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$900,000
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$80,971,408$0$0$528,592
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$1,645,000$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$821,667$821,667
LW, RW
RFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$874,125$874,125
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 23, 2020 at 6:17 p.m.
💯 %

Hopefully there’s little to none of the acgm with healthy scratches being traded for roster players
PGHBOB69 and Austerity liked this.
Oct. 23, 2020 at 6:23 p.m.
Austerity
What a cultured take. I hope the pens can make good use of Kapanen with Malkin or Crosby.

I do think Barabanov is NHL ready, although it's not a big deal if he isn't: Robertson, Vesey, Anderson, Barabanov, Engvall, Korshkov, Brooks, maybe even Petan can all compete for those last few roster spots.

I think Dubas had a very strong offseason. I wish we had one more bona fide top 4 defenseman, but I still think this team should at least make the second round. Way more well-rounded than previous iterations of the Dubas leafs.
PGHBOB69 liked this.
Oct. 23, 2020 at 6:27 p.m.
Quoting: Austerity
What a cultured take. I hope the pens can make good use of Kapanen with Malkin or Crosby.

I do think Barabanov is NHL ready, although it's not a big deal if he isn't: Robertson, Vesey, Anderson, Barabanov, Engvall, Korshkov, Brooks, maybe even Petan can all compete for those last few roster spots.

I think Dubas had a very strong offseason. I wish we had one more bona fide top 4 defenseman, but I still think this team should at least make the second round. Way more well-rounded than previous iterations of the Dubas leafs.

I hope you realize we aren’t trashing the roster. Just tired of marincin for gold bars type of trades
PGHBOB69 liked this.
Oct. 23, 2020 at 6:39 p.m.

.think Dubas had a very strong offseason. I wish we had one more bona fide top 4 defenseman, but I still think this team should at least make the second round. Way more well-rounded than previous iterations of the Dubas leafs.

Ahh, I disagree about Barbanov. That’s a tough ask for a contending team. 2 players that never played one game in the NHL. A lot of faith.

And it drives me crazy when I even see leafs fans with Robertson on peoples 4th line. No way they bring up their top prospect, to play on the 4th line. Like I said, in the description, he has to atleast get 3rd line minutes and 2nd team PP minutes. He needs to be on the PP to get his full value too. He will stay in the AHL if he isn’t atleast on the 3rd line.

It’s almost as bad as when Pens fans put Guentzel on the 1st line with Crosby..lol. They want to break up our best line Guentzel/Malkin/Rust. Who have been together mostly for the last 2 years. And when they tried Zucker on Malkin line last year it was a disaster. Zero goals, 2 points. 6 goals, 10 points on Crosby’s line(6 goals and 12 points in 14 games with the Pens). It’s gonna be Zucker/Crosby/Kappy for sure. Crosby has been carrying his own line for years so if Kappy or Zucker don’t step up then it’s nothing new. But no reason to break up an already settled and great line Guentzel/Malkin/Rust. Rust 27 goals and 56 points in 55 games last year. A point per game. Ya, let’s break that line up..lol.
Austerity liked this.
Oct. 23, 2020 at 6:46 p.m.
Edited Oct. 23, 2020 at 6:52 p.m.
I wonder how many of the depth guys get claimed on waivers going into the season. Engvall and Anderson can go through without them but Brooks, Malgin, Petan all need to pass through.

Quoting: Penguins21
And it drives me crazy when I even see leafs fans with Robertson on peoples 4th line. No way they bring up their top prospect, to play on the 4th line. Like I said, in the description, he has to atleast get 3rd line minutes and 2nd team PP minutes. He needs to be on the PP to get his full value too. He will stay in the AHL if he isn’t atleast on the 3rd line.

Also, while I agree, Robertson cant play in the AHL. He would be in the OHL whos season is very questionable right now. Probably why you see him up on 4th lines in peoples AGMs.
PGHBOB69 liked this.
Oct. 23, 2020 at 7:00 p.m.
Edited Oct. 23, 2020 at 7:08 p.m.
Quoting: Byrr
I wonder how many of the depth guys get claimed on waivers going into the season. Engvall and Anderson can go through without them but Brooks, Malgin, Petan all need to pass through.

Maybe Petan. But I don’t see them bringing them up and down if they have the waivers exempt players they can do that with. They will just keep them down.

Also, while I agree, Robertson cant play in the AHL. He would be in the OHL whos season is very questionable right now. Probably why you see him up on 4th lines in peoples AGMs.

Good to know, thanks for the info. But I still don’t think it matters where he plays. It’s not gonna be on the 4th line in Toronto. And also sitting in the press box when you need that defensive 4th line and tougher/ bigger 4th line. Top scoring prospects don’t play on 4th lines. They will stay down and get the playing time elsewhere until a top 4 forward spot is open or atleast a 3rd line and 2nd PP spot is open for competition. You don’t play your top scoring prospect on the 4th line. And 4th line minutes. Unless his shine is gone and hes 26-27 years old and looking like a bust.
Oct. 24, 2020 at 4:31 p.m.
Austerity
Quoting: NYR1983
I hope you realize we aren’t trashing the roster. Just tired of marincin for gold bars type of trades

Yeah, 10000%. Some ACGMs make zero sense.

Quoting: Penguins21
Good to know, thanks for the info. But I still don’t think it matters where he plays. It’s not gonna be on the 4th line in Toronto. And also sitting in the press box when you need that defensive 4th line and tougher/ bigger 4th line. Top scoring prospects don’t play on 4th lines. They will stay down and get the playing time elsewhere until a top 4 forward spot is open or atleast a 3rd line and 2nd PP spot is open for competition. You don’t play your top scoring prospect on the 4th line. And 4th line minutes. Unless his shine is gone and hes 26-27 years old and looking like a bust.

Because Juniors is likely not happening, the teenagers may actually be able to play in the AHL this year... some talks of that. Otherwise, there's still the option of playing in Switzerland or one of the other European leagues (besides the DEL, which I believe is also cancelled).
PGHBOB69 liked this.
Oct. 24, 2020 at 6:37 p.m.
Yeah, 10000%. Some ACGMs make zero sense.

Because Juniors is likely not happening, the teenagers may actually be able to play in the AHL this year... some talks of that. Otherwise, there's still the option of playing in Switzerland or one of the other European leagues (besides the DEL, which I believe is also cancelled).

Yes, if nothing else is happening. Then yes, I can see them putting him on a taxi squad then(like baseball teams did with their top prospects), Just to get him some work.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll