Forums/Armchair-GM

Here are what the lines are please poke holes if possible

Created by: Russell_C
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 23, 2020
Published: Oct. 23, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I am going to explain why I think players will be playing certain positions.

Russian UFAs: An NHL team that signs competent KHL players to their team likely did not persuade them by promoting the AHL, these players sign NHL contracts to at least get a shot in the show. Any player who doesn’t abide by this mentality is kind of silly and taking a MASSIVE bet on themselves. And if a team were to promise an overseas UFA NHL playing time and not deliver on that promise, you can be sure that news gets around and you lose any leverage signing future overseas free agents.

On to the players:
Lehtonen 3RD: He is the best defenseman currently not in the NHL and he plays (or can play) well on the right side. He currently leads KHL defenseman with 8G 8A 16PTS in 14GP. Yet we will have to see how well his game translates to the NHL. Top 4 potential if he pans out.

Barabanov 4LW: He is going to be the Russian who really must prove his game will translate in the NHL, he is a lottery ticket, which are hit or miss. He needs to be given a shot out of camp for the reasons stated above, but if it doesn’t work he can easily be replaced with the likes of Robertson or Engvall and his contract fully buried.

Kerfoot 3C: Keep Kerfoot at 3C, we need someone with legs for 3C, I love Thornton and Spezza but I question their legs over the course of the full season and think they would healthier for longer and more efficient playing against generally lesser skilled competition.

Vesey 3LW: Vesey is another lottery pick, yet one with better odds than an overseas UFA. He gets slotted in at 3LW to play with Kerfoot who he was friends and team mates with at Harvard. Vesey was a 15-20G, 30-35PT player for 3 years with the NYR before getting traded to BUF last year where he had a down year, 9G 11A 20PTS in 64GP (ITS BUFFALO!! Obviously he will have a down year)

Simmonds 3RW: Makes sense, punch someone, play in front of the net, if Barabanov pans out big he could be moved to the third line and we could shuffle some things around where Simmonds heads to the fourth line, but Simmonds is solid, put up 25PTS last year on BUF & NJD, trashy mctrash teams, his numbers will improve significantly in TOR I would imagine.

Jumbo & Spezza 4C/4RW: They will kill it playing together with 1000 hockey IQ between the two of them, quite excited.

Dermott: 3LD: Where he belongs right now, Lehtonen can play the right side.

Bogo Scratch: Keep him in 40 or so games depending on injuries and to keep him as healthy as possible, he seems rather injury prone.

This leaves us with Robertson, Engvall, Sandin, Lily, and Dell all on the “Taxi Squad” assuming there are no minor leagues running next season due to Covid. Not too shabby for 5 guys who could get the call up If needed. (im obviously not suggesting Dell starting or Lilly 1RD, but if need be we have 2 players better than Marincin on D and 2 players better than lets say Malgin or Boyd on forward as your scratches. (not that I don’t like Malgin/ Boyd or think he is bad, I just like the options of Robertson and Engvall.

Please poke holes in these ideas, I don’t think there are any CRAZY hot takes
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$80,899,741$0$0$600,259
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$1,645,000$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$874,125$874,125
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$821,667$821,667
LW, RW
RFA - 4
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 23, 2020 at 9:36 p.m.
Edited Oct. 23, 2020 at 9:49 p.m.
You don’t bring top prospects up to play on the taxi squad.(maybe the play-off taxi squad). But everything I read said that if Lehtonen, Dermott, and Bogasain are the 3rd pairing and depth out of camp. Then Sandin and Liljegren go down and get all the playing time they want.(unless there is no AHL). You definitely don’t bring them up to sit in the Press box. And you definitely don’t bring a top scoring prospect, like N.Robertson, up to play on the 4th line. And also sitting in the press box when you need that defensive 4th line and tougher/ bigger 4th line.

Top scoring prospects don’t play on 4th lines. They will stay down and get the playing time elsewhere until a top 6 forward spot is open or atleast a 3rd line and 2nd PP spot is open for competition. To get all of Robertson’s value, he needs to play on a PP unit too. Atleast the 2nd PP unit. You don’t play your top scoring prospect on the 4th line. And 4th line minutes. Unless his shine is gone and hes 26-27 years old and looking like a bust.

The taxi squad, if there is one, would be Engvall, Boyd, N.Petan, J.Anderson(who the leafs traded for and the organization thinks highly of), Marincin, C.Rosen, Dell. Who are are Depth players(except maybe Joey Anderson), and that’s what a taxi squad is; depth players and sitting in the press box and just practicing with the team, no games.
Oct. 23, 2020 at 9:42 p.m.
How would the taxi squad work?? If Engvall is called up Toronto is over the cap.

Couldn't TB just put Johnson and Gourde on the taxi squad and have enough cap to sign all 3 rfas???
Oct. 23, 2020 at 9:52 p.m.
torontos finest
Switch Lehtonen and Dermott. Dubas' already said Dermott will start on RD.

Wouldn't be surprised if the bottom 6 ended up like that but training camp will be about who wins the early spots, and the first 10 games will be really important for some of the guys on LTIR.

Additionally, I think they'll squeeze in another bottom 6 winger so Thornton and Spezza don't play every night. Probably what Boyd will be for.
Russell_C and OldNYIfan liked this.
Oct. 23, 2020 at 9:59 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Lehtonen and Dermott should not be playing forward, according to your description
Oct. 23, 2020 at 10:01 p.m.
I fully admit i have no idea as to how the taxi squad situation could work, or if there will be any junior games this year,

Speaking very hypothetically, without any knowledge or having seen any articles posted recently, IF each team could have LETS SAY 5 guys on the "Taxi Squad", probably with a cap hit o 2-4M total, and no AHL/OHL seasons these would be the guys I have on the starting night roster and "Taxi Squad" given the contracts we've signed.

IDEALLY Robertson, Sandin and Lilly would be able to play in a junior or overseas league in Robertsons case, but if there isnt any juniors and happens to be a taxi squad, i would prefer robertson gets some NHL time sharing with Barabanov or something as opposed to being shipped overseas and possibly causing a COVID issue. What alternative does Sandin have other than heading overseas or taxi squad i there isnt any juniors next year?
OldNYIfan liked this.
Oct. 23, 2020 at 10:02 p.m.
Quoting: Penguins21
You don’t bring top prospects up to play on the taxi squad.(maybe the play-off taxi squad). But everything I read said that if Lehtonen, Dermott, and Bogasain are the 3rd pairing and depth out of camp. Then Sandin and Liljegren go down and get all the playing time they want.(unless there is no AHL). You definitely don’t bring them up to sit in the Press box. And you definitely don’t bring a top scoring prospect, like N.Robertson, up to play on the 4th line. And also sitting in the press box when you need that defensive 4th line and tougher/ bigger 4th line.

Top scoring prospects don’t play on 4th lines. They will stay down and get the playing time elsewhere until a top 6 forward spot is open or atleast a 3rd line and 2nd PP spot is open for competition. To get all of Robertson’s value, he needs to play on a PP unit too. Atleast the 2nd PP unit. You don’t play your top scoring prospect on the 4th line. And 4th line minutes. Unless his shine is gone and hes 26-27 years old and looking like a bust.

The taxi squad, if there is one, would be Engvall, Boyd, N.Petan, J.Anderson(who the leafs traded for and the organization thinks highly of), Marincin, C.Rosen, Dell. Who are are Depth players(except maybe Joey Anderson), and that’s what a taxi squad is; depth players and sitting in the press box and just practicing with the team, no games.

Quoting: Riley816
How would the taxi squad work?? If Engvall is called up Toronto is over the cap.

Couldn't TB just put Johnson and Gourde on the taxi squad and have enough cap to sign all 3 rfas???

Quoting: mondo

Wouldn't be surprised if the bottom 6 ended up like that but training camp will be about who wins the early spots, and the first 10 games will be really important for some of the guys on LTIR.

Additionally, I think they'll squeeze in another bottom 6 winger so Thornton and Spezza don't play every night. Probably what Boyd will be for.

please see above post forgot to multi quote
OldNYIfan liked this.
Oct. 23, 2020 at 10:04 p.m.
Quoting: MaxDomi13
Lehtonen and Dermott should not be playing forward, according to your description

This put a smile on my face, I totally agree, probably best suited or D, Im living a Homer Simpson DOPE moment right now as i edit
OldNYIfan liked this.
Oct. 23, 2020 at 10:07 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: Russell_C
This put a smile on my face, I totally agree, probably best suited or D, Im living a Homer Simpson DOPE moment right now as i edit

Oct. 23, 2020 at 10:13 p.m.
Quoting: mondo

I did see that Dubas said that, although im curious as to why. That threw Bogo into the presser immediately (without trades) although i do think he should be the scratch, and Lehtonen has been proven to be
able to play as a RD. Im curious as to why he is leaning towards relying on Dermott as 3RD as opposed to Lehtonen. But i suppose both of them are equally proven/unproven on their offside in the NHL, so as long as its Dermott and Lehtonen as the third pairing im cool with it
Oct. 23, 2020 at 10:15 p.m.
Quoting: MaxDomi13

I made a simple mistake, smile and laugh with me. i could have swore i double checked spelling haha
OldNYIfan liked this.
Oct. 23, 2020 at 10:33 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I'm really impressed. Nice effort, as edited.
Oct. 23, 2020 at 11:26 p.m.
Edited Oct. 23, 2020 at 11:35 p.m.
Quoting: Russell_C
I fully admit i have no idea as to how the taxi squad situation could work, or if there will be any junior games this year,

Speaking very hypothetically, without any knowledge or having seen any articles posted recently, IF each team could have LETS SAY 5 guys on the "Taxi Squad", probably with a cap hit o 2-4M total, and no AHL/OHL seasons these would be the guys I have on the starting night roster and "Taxi Squad" given the contracts we've signed.

IDEALLY Robertson, Sandin and Lilly would be able to play in a junior or overseas league in Robertsons case, but if there isnt any juniors and happens to be a taxi squad, i would prefer robertson gets some NHL time sharing with Barabanov or something as opposed to being shipped overseas and possibly causing a COVID issue. What alternative does Sandin have other than heading overseas or taxi squad i there isnt any juniors next year?

If there was a taxi squad then it would work just like it did in last years play-offs

The NHL said the taxi squad will only take place under “special circumstances” again this year.

If you brought Engvall off the taxi squad, you would have to send the player he was replacing onto the taxi squad which would make you cap compliant. And no one would have to clear waivers.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll