SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

What makes Sidney Crosby such a dominant force in the NHL

Oct. 24, 2020 at 7:35 p.m.
Hockey IQ
Quoting: Theozler
Strength on skates, working on little things, and mind for the game. I mean I could wrote a paragraph on it by those three things stand out.

Can't knock him off the puck, any weak.points he constantly works on until they're strengths, and you just watch him and he's brilliant. His vision and little plays he makes just show how high his hockey IQ is.

All time I have him 5th. If he didn't have that concussion issues during those seasons where he could've legit put up 130-140 pts I might have him top 4 but that's a hard group to break into. I think his claim!.to fame is going to be playoff performance as he has a legit shot to become the 3rd all time scorer in playoff history.

agree.
3 cups doesn't hurt at all.
I also have him at #5 but IDK who goes @ #4 behind Lemieux, Orr, and Gretzky (in whatever order)...
alot of my fellow Canadians I think overrate Gordie howe a bit. I get he was good for a long time but I don't know that he was ever great. he played a loooong time ago. it's just hard for me to take his stats seriously. there was more offense then and I don't know more than a few decent goalies from back then.
Oct. 24, 2020 at 7:41 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Rhea
lol that's not what he said at all. The thing that sets Crosby apart from others is his work ethic and how much he continues to learn to change his game. MCD's high skill is just natural and crazy like he said, but Crosby's work ethic in both the offensive and defensive areas is ridiculous. MCD at this point doesn't have that, especially in the defensive game...not even close. MCD also puts himself in potential injury positions a lot too because he is so much faster and fearless when he cuts to the net. I hope that doesn't cost him with serious injuries, but it is definitely a concern. There are not many players who are absolutely elite in the O and D zones and you can't argue that MCD is because he is not. The best example of course is Bobby Orr, but Crosby is one too.

and you seem to have missed the whole point from what I have said. Crosby didn't just get there because he works hard. aka work ethic. He's not some average schmuck who just works really hard.
He has natural talent aka insane hand eye coordination.
You seem not to be able to figure that out. He would have been a great player if he didn't have the "work ethic" you think is so much greater than McDavid's work ethic. I hate to break it to you, McDavid does work too. The difference is they have two distinctly different natural talents. McDavid is really fast. That's his gift. Crosby has the best hand eye coordination, and probably vision in the game. That's his.
But make no mistake, he didn't get them from "working really hard"
Maybe you should understand the comments before commenting on them.
Oct. 24, 2020 at 7:41 p.m.
Quoting: Pens3lieve
agree.
I also have him at #5 but IDK who goes @ #4 behind Lemieux, Orr, and Gretzky (in whatever order)...
alot of my fellow Canadians I think overrate Gordie howe a bit. I get he was good for a long time but I don't know that he was ever great. he played a loooong time ago. it's just hard for me to take his stats seriously. there was more offense then and I don't know more than a few decent goalies from back then.

Six harts, six art Ross, 21 season end all star teams. Howe's resume does just fine even when only comparing to other players in his era which is all you can really do.
Oct. 24, 2020 at 7:45 p.m.
For anyone doing mcdavid vs Crosby, mcdavid has played five seasons, he's got zero claim in that debate right now.
Pens3lieve and Tntpod liked this.
Oct. 24, 2020 at 8:06 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: reelkena
I love Crosby and I know no one else would take what I said about Crosby as an insult. He obviously has tons of talent but that's not what defines him.

"You saying he's the most skilled player of this generation means you are a complete hater"

Is basically what you just said

You don't get where he was simply from work. They all work....
He did get there from talent. And players have different talents. What you think is "the most talented" vs another player is irrelevant.
One would be hard pressed to say Crosby wasn't the most talented player of his generation. Comparing him at 32 to 22 year old McDavid is not really an equal comparison while trying to say McDavid is more talented. Lets see 32 year old McDavid. You may not like that comparison then.

This idea that he simply out practiced everyone is some mythical fallacy you have. It's simply not true. Almost everyone practices hard. I'm sure there is a Lucic out there who only drops gloves that goons and doesn't really care. But these guys at the top, they all practice hard. What elevates him is his natural ability. Which is why he makes it "look easy". Shooting 1000 more pucks on the net isn't going to make someone a better shooter. You either adapt and learn it with the ability to do it, or you don't. Some naturally can't do it, others can. Crosby will never Shoot a highspeed puck with accuracy like OV. That's OV talent. It's not something you "learn" he just has a natural talent for doing it. If you could learn it, anyone could do it. And that's the point.

He's been one of the most gifted players for a generation. And one can only say one of, instead of comparing because they all have different talents. McDavid is really fast. But he doesn't have an OV level shot, not Crosby level hand eye coordination and vision. And the other two don't have McDavids speed. And that's ok. But to sit here and say that a conversation between Crosby and McDavid is one between talent and "hard work" is just asinine. What separates them is not working harder. It's being born with different talents. And preferring one to the other is solely your prerogative. But the record and facts are clear that you aren't making an apples to apples comparison here. It's impossible to do that as they are two players who are separated by like 10 years.
Pens3lieve liked this.
Oct. 24, 2020 at 8:36 p.m.
Hockey IQ
Quoting: Theozler
Six harts, six art Ross, 21 season end all star teams. Howe's resume does just fine even when only comparing to other players in his era which is all you can really do.

I get he was one of the best back then but I just don't see him as a top player of all time....maybe top-20 but not. even close to top-10 for me...
Oct. 24, 2020 at 9:24 p.m.
I get he was one of the best back then but I just don't see him as a top player of all time....maybe top-20 but not. even close to top-10 for me...

Well realistically athletes all get better, you have to rate them based on what they did against their competition. If you transported greatly from 1980 to now he'd be in a heap of trouble without all.the modern training,nutrition,etc.
Pens3lieve liked this.
Oct. 25, 2020 at 12:51 a.m.
Fanboys make bad Gms
I agree with the first part of what you said--I would have chosen a bit different vocab though. skill and talent to me are fairly similar words but I understand what you're trying to say.
just saying McDavid is more skilled I think is true (although this era is now more skilled as a whole than Sid came into the league) while Sid is more complete. McDavid is great off the rush with the puck but everywhere else Sid is better prob right?? grinding down low, cycling the puck, elevating line mates, playmaking, Defense, etc....

I also have Lemieux, Orr, Gretzky as my top-3... I say fill in the blank at number 4 just now Gordie howe lol and I have Sid at number 5.
I disagree that Sid vs McDavid is a toss up... in terms of NHL rating today that is true...but they are a diff generational player so it's hard to compare. if McDavid started in 05-06 then what happens? or if Sid starts in 2015 then what happens? McDavid got to come in guns blazing with speed and skill and still doesn't have to play D...
Sid is a way more complete player still today even though much older. if McDavid could play some D and turn good D into offense he could be that much better. like Geno he just needs to meet them [coaches] halfway. I doubt he will but...

It's hard to pick perfect vocab when you're basically saying similar things for both people with slight differences. You might be right but if most people understand what I mean, I really don't care about that first idiot anyway,
Pens3lieve liked this.
Oct. 25, 2020 at 5:28 a.m.
Sid's Hockey IQ is the most impressive I've seen in my lifetime. I didn't get see a ton of the Great One or Mario by the time I was old enough to appreciate. Sid does everything really well, but he's not an all-time great skater or shooter, or even playmaker, imo. And he doesn't have great size and/or physicality like Mario, Jagr, Gordie, Ovi, etc...He just sees the ice like a chess board and he's always 3 moves ahead of the defense. This attribute makes him a top 5 player of all time. He also wins. All time greats in hockey must win to be all time greats. He's top 5 all time, imo. Gretzky, Orr, Mario, Gordie, & Sid.
Oct. 25, 2020 at 5:31 a.m.
agree.

I put Gordie at #4. He was undeniably the greatest all around player in the NHL's first 40 years. That's gotta put him top 5. Plus, Gretzky calls him #1 all time. I know he's being modest, but still.
Tntpod liked this.
Oct. 25, 2020 at 5:37 a.m.
Arguing against Gordie is sorta like arguing against Bobby Jones or Walter Hagen as all time golf greats. No way those guys were better than Tiger or even Phil, but you cant penalize them for not having better competition. If you're gonna compare superstars from different eras you probably need to consider how dominant that particular player was during his era. Was Gordie more talented than Sid? Absolutely not. But he was more dominant and his numbers are ridiculous.
Oct. 25, 2020 at 12:22 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow
and you seem to have missed the whole point from what I have said. Crosby didn't just get there because he works hard. aka work ethic. He's not some average schmuck who just works really hard.
He has natural talent aka insane hand eye coordination.
You seem not to be able to figure that out. He would have been a great player if he didn't have the "work ethic" you think is so much greater than McDavid's work ethic. I hate to break it to you, McDavid does work too. The difference is they have two distinctly different natural talents. McDavid is really fast. That's his gift. Crosby has the best hand eye coordination, and probably vision in the game. That's his.
But make no mistake, he didn't get them from "working really hard"
Maybe you should understand the comments before commenting on them.

Hehe I'm not saying that at all buddy. Stop getting your panties in a bunch. I am really not saying much different from you but I am just talking about his crazy work ethic. If you would like to show me where I implied he is just "some shmuck" please go ahead though. I'm curious how you deduced I was saying that. I'm actually just...now pay attention here for a second...adding on to your point and also saying you are misinterpreting what @reelkena said and now as it seems to be you gig, misinterpreting what I am saying.

Have a nice day buddy...and that "have a nice day" is in no way implying that Crosby sucks or that he can't skate or is a kleptomaniac or illiterate. Just so we're clear.
reelkena liked this.
Oct. 25, 2020 at 12:24 p.m.
Fanboys make bad Gms
Hehe I'm not saying that at all buddy. Stop getting your panties in a bunch. I am really not saying much different from you but I am just talking about his crazy work ethic. If you would like to show me where I implied he is just "some shmuck" please go ahead though. I'm curious how you deduced I was saying that. I'm actually just...now pay attention here for a second...adding on to your point and also saying you are misinterpreting what @reelkena said and now as it seems to be you gig, misinterpreting what I am saying.

Have a nice day buddy...and that "have a nice day" is in no way implying that Crosby sucks or that he can't skate or is a kleptomaniac or illiterate. Just so we're clear.

He just wants attention
Oct. 25, 2020 at 12:46 p.m.
Quoting: reelkena
He just wants attention

Whoa whoa are you saying crosby sucks??!!
reelkena liked this.
Oct. 25, 2020 at 12:47 p.m.
Fanboys make bad Gms
Whoa whoa are you saying crosby sucks??!!

I must be

smile

I actually like Crosby more than McDavid but not by enough to really matter. Crosby is magic. McDavid is effortless.
Rhea liked this.
Oct. 25, 2020 at 3:10 p.m.
Edited Oct. 26, 2020 at 3:14 p.m.
Some great comments here.

Sidney Crosby is and has been the best player for 15 years. He is STILL the best all round player in the league and I don`t think it`s very close. If the NHL does a fantasy re-draft for a COVID season next year for only 1 year I don`t think there is a GM in the league that doesn`t take Crosby first. If you want to win you go with Sid.

I`m going to take it one step further though and say that Sidney Crosby is the greatest of all time. IMO you can`t compare eras. Comparing Sidney Crosby and Wayne Gretzky is quite silly as the game is so much more advanced. It honestly isn`t even the same game anymore. The current game is lightyears ahead of where it was in the 80s and even the 90s. So,IMO you don`t give the edge to Wayne because of points and dominance but you give it to the superior player in general. The thought process shouldn`t be "How good would Wayne be in 2020" it should be "How good would Crosby be in 1985?" and the answer is he would probably score 450 points. He would be that dominant. As would many other players in todays NHL.
Pens3lieve liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll