Forums/Armchair-GM

Tin foil hat

Created by: joshelkin
Team: 2020-21 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 25, 2020
Published: Oct. 26, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Hoffman could have been signed by any of NSH/CBJ/NJD etc to a one year/$6m ish type deal by now. Why hasn't he? Could Lamoriello have a handshake deal stashed away that requires him moving cap out first?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$7,000,000
5$5,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$700,000
1$1,250,000
1$6,000,000
Trades
NYI
    Two dumps.

Boychuk for 2 2nds + Bellows
    Komarov for another 2nd
    NJD
    1. Bellows, Kieffer
    2. Boychuk, Johnny
    3. Komarov, Leo
    4. 2021 2nd round pick (COL)
    5. 2022 2nd round pick (COL)
    6. 2022 2nd round pick (NYI)
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$81,500,000$76,688,334$0$1,075,000$4,811,666
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the New York Islanders
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 3
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RW
    NTC
    UFA - 4
    $2,100,000$2,100,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    C, LW
    NTC
    UFA - 5
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    RW, LW, C
    UFA - 4
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    LW
    NTC
    UFA - 6
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    C
    NTC
    UFA - 6
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
    RW
    RFA - 3
    $700,000$700,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $3,350,000$3,350,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RW
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $1,600,000$1,600,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $1,450,000$1,450,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $700,000$700,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LW
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Oct. 26, 2020 at 2:16 p.m.
    I believe I have seen people speculating that he does have a handshake agreement, but with Vancouver.

(also, I think its a little late in process for this type of deal...most teams have their rosters set...I doubt anyone can offload $9 million in one deal at this point in off-season).
    Oct. 26, 2020 at 2:25 p.m.
    Islanders Fan
    Quoting: NHLfan10506
    I believe I have seen people speculating that he does have a handshake agreement, but with Vancouver.

(also, I think its a little late in process for this type of deal...most teams have their rosters set...I doubt anyone can offload $9 million in one deal at this point in off-season).

I haven't seen the VAN speculation. That's interesting. Devils might be an exception to your comment though. They've got $17m in space with only Blackwood/Bratt left to sign. Could theoretically trade Boychuk and Komarov to different teams to space out the cap consequence to NJD I suppose
    Oct. 26, 2020 at 3:39 p.m.
    Quoting: joshelkin
    I haven't seen the VAN speculation. That's interesting. Devils might be an exception to your comment though. They've got $17m in space with only Blackwood/Bratt left to sign. Could theoretically trade Boychuk and Komarov to different teams to space out the cap consequence to NJD I suppose

The VAN speculation came from the guy who covers Vancouver for The Athletic.
    I think NJD would only move their cap space for a worthwhile player (ie, Sergachev, Pulock, etc) but not for Bellows and some picks.
    I am guessing most in league are in same boat.
    Only teams with space are NJD, OTT, DET, NSH, FLA, LAK, CBJ - all with exception of CBJ and NSH had the cap space a month ago. So if they haven't done this type of trade by now, its probably not happening.
    Oct. 26, 2020 at 3:49 p.m.
    Islanders Fan
    I think NJD would only move their cap space for a worthwhile player (ie, Sergachev, Pulock, etc) but not for Bellows and some picks.
    Only teams with space are NJD, OTT, DET, NSH, FLA, LAK, CBJ - all with exception of CBJ and NSH had the cap space a month ago. So if they haven't done this type of trade by now, its probably not happening.

The Isles didn't have the additional draft capital until after the Toews trade. Would not rule them out completely yet. Once we got those 2 2nds, it sounded like the Boychuk trade was ready to go. Wonder what happened
    Oct. 26, 2020 at 4:38 p.m.
    The Isles didn't have the additional draft capital until after the Toews trade. Would not rule them out completely yet. Once we got those 2 2nds, it sounded like the Boychuk trade was ready to go. Wonder what happened

What happened: Teams started signing free agents. Available cap space become more rare. Price went up.

NYI should have moved quickly. TB too.
    Oct. 28, 2020 at 2:02 p.m.
    What happened: Teams started signing free agents. Available cap space become more rare. Price went up.

NYI should have moved quickly. TB too.

I think everyone's waiting for more clarity on what the season will look like next year before they do additional moves. As a result, cap dumps haven't happened yet because they don't need to.
    Oct. 28, 2020 at 2:03 p.m.

You give the Devils prospects or draft picks worth talking about and I think they'll play ball. Don't forget that they ONLY have 16 players signed (and I know they have to sign Blackwood and Bratt). They're going to need add-ons. Might as well get them through taking on cap dumps.
    Oct. 28, 2020 at 2:13 p.m.
    Islanders Fan
    Quoting: Fafhrd
    You give the Devils prospects or draft picks worth talking about and I think they'll play ball. Don't forget that they ONLY have 16 players signed (and I know they have to sign Blackwood and Bratt). They're going to need add-ons. Might as well get them through taking on cap dumps.

This trade in the realm of what you're talking about?
    Oct. 28, 2020 at 2:40 p.m.

16 players according to CapFriendly...Bastian, Ty Smith will be added.
    As will RFAs, Blackwood and Bratt.
    They don't need to add players.
    Boqvist, Seney, Kuokkanen, Merkley, Foote, Walsh, Bahl, etc.
    Remember, you are dealing with one of the deepest pipelines in NHL.

I think a dump trade was possible pre-draft. Now, I don't think NJD looks at it. Too late.
    Only other window may be the week before season starts...as final rosters are set.
    (But that would be too late to sign RFAs)
    Oct. 28, 2020 at 3:22 p.m.
    16 players according to CapFriendly...Bastian, Ty Smith will be added.
    As will RFAs, Blackwood and Bratt.
    They don't need to add players.
    Boqvist, Seney, Kuokkanen, Merkley, Foote, Walsh, Bahl, etc.
    Remember, you are dealing with one of the deepest pipelines in NHL.

I don't see Bastian listed? Smith is 20, I din't know if I'd want him up in the NHL yet. Same with Boqvist, Foote, and Bahl. They're REALLY young...and you still need to have an AHL team. I'd go for the trade if only to get either Boychuk or Komarov just to get the additional prospects/picks. Komarov's $3 million isn't going to kill them.
    Oct. 28, 2020 at 3:27 p.m.

Maybe. I'd probably throw in Palmieri in there because he's a free agent after this season and you'd rather get value for him now than at the deadline. I'd trade Hickey, Boychuk or Komarov, Bellows, and 2021 2nd round pick (COL) and 2022 2nd round pick (COL). If the Isles get Palmieri, I'd be willing to move Bode Wilde or Wahlstrom to do it (provided Palmieri signs an extension).
    Oct. 28, 2020 at 3:47 p.m.
    Islanders Fan
    Maybe. I'd probably throw in Palmieri in there because he's a free agent after this season and you'd rather get value for him now than at the deadline. I'd trade Hickey, Boychuk or Komarov, Bellows, and 2021 2nd round pick (COL) and 2022 2nd round pick (COL). If the Isles get Palmieri, I'd be willing to move Bode Wilde or Wahlstrom to do it (provided Palmieri signs an extension).

I'm not looking for Palmieri more so just freeing up the cap to use on a current FA/1 yr deal then that space allocated toward next year RFAs
    Oct. 28, 2020 at 7:29 p.m.
    I don't see Bastian listed? Smith is 20, I din't know if I'd want him up in the NHL yet. Same with Boqvist, Foote, and Bahl. They're REALLY young...and you still need to have an AHL team. I'd go for the trade if only to get either Boychuk or Komarov just to get the additional prospects/picks. Komarov's $3 million isn't going to kill them.

Ty Smith was the last cut in 2018 as an 18-year old. Since then, he has been CHL d-man of the year and two-time WHL d-man of year. I think he is ready. He probably starts year as #3 RD.
    Bastian has been in AHL for 3 years (and GM said he was reason he let some guys walk in free agency). He will get his shot in bottom-6.
    Boqvist is a guy they want to complete for top-6 minutes, so may go back to AHL if he doesn't perform.
    Foote will play if he makes team, otherwise can go back to juniors for a year.
    Merkley and Kuokkanen are also NHL-ready. Maltsev and Schnarr are close.
    Bahl probably needs another year. Walsh is wild-card to make team.

NJD has insane depth in their prospect pool. No reason to bury many of these guys. Komarov, Boychuck would hinder their future and Bellows wouldn't even be in their top-10 prospects.
    Oct. 29, 2020 at 12:17 a.m.
    Ty Smith was the last cut in 2018 as an 18-year old. Since then, he has been CHL d-man of the year and two-time WHL d-man of year. I think he is ready. He probably starts year as #3 RD.
    Bastian has been in AHL for 3 years (and GM said he was reason he let some guys walk in free agency). He will get his shot in bottom-6.
    Boqvist is a guy they want to complete for top-6 minutes, so may go back to AHL if he doesn't perform.
    Foote will play if he makes team, otherwise can go back to juniors for a year.
    Merkley and Kuokkanen are also NHL-ready. Maltsev and Schnarr are close.
    Bahl probably needs another year. Walsh is wild-card to make team.

NJD has insane depth in their prospect pool. No reason to bury many of these guys. Komarov, Boychuck would hinder their future and Bellows wouldn't even be in their top-10 prospects.

I'm not sold, to be honest. CHL and WHL are good but they're leagues apart from the AHL. Juniors as well. Most 19 and 20 year olds aren't up to speed yet. It's even more so dealing with NHL defensive capabilities. Also, just because a team has prospects doesn't mean they're actually any good, or they develop at the pace the team wants.

And again, they're going to need to field an AHL team. Might be worth it to get these guys more time in the AHL (and potentially mid-season callups if needed) .

Unless they're really really ready, I'd let them mature in the AHL more.
    Oct. 29, 2020 at 12:21 a.m.
    I'm not looking for Palmieri more so just freeing up the cap to use on a current FA/1 yr deal then that space allocated toward next year RFAs

Moving out Palmieri isn't a necessary deal for NJD, but it might be a smarter long term deal if they can get prospects/picks back. Plus, Zajac, Murray, Kulikov, and Carrick will all be UFAs next year. I think Zajac isis done unless he wants to keep playing for $1-$2 million per season. I don't see the Devils keeping the rest of the guys unless they put up stellar numbers. Additionally, there's no telling if any UFAs will want to go to NJ. I'd take players who can help them now and later, just in case they (probably) need the depth.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll