Forums/Armchair-GM

Reversing one trade - Buffalo Sabres

Created by: SevenLeg
Team: 2020-21 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 26, 2020
Published: Oct. 27, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Here's the part V of that series, by @KakkoForMauriceRichardAward and I. The goal is basically to see where each team would currently stand after reversing one bad or questionable trade. Excuse me in advance for my grammar and syntax errors, feel free to correct me if needed.

The trade : On July 1 2018, the Buffalo Sabres Ryan O'Reilly to St. Louis Blues for Tage Thompson, Vladimir Sobotka, Patrik Berglund, round 1 pick in the 2019 draft (Ryan Johnson) and round 2 pick in the 2021 draft

The context : The Sabres were struggling for a long-time now and O'Reilly had stated that he had lost his love for the game, which made him a trade candidate. He was 27, was in his prime and was one of the top defensive centers in the game.

BUF side : They got two multiple years cap dumps, including one who forfeited the remaining 12 millions on his contract. While the picked turned out to be the 31st, the Sabres drafted Ryan Johnson, who is quite a good prospect considering his draft rank, while Tage Thompson remains a question mark. If the trade is undone, it's safe to say that they would have one of the best center cores in the league, with Eichel, O'Reilly and Staal. It's also safe to say that they would be a playoffs team.

STL side : In his first season in St. Louis, O’Reilly tallied 77 points (28 goals, 49 assists) and a team-best +22 for the Blues during the regular season. He followed that up with 23 points during St. Louis’ Stanley Cup run, as he took home the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP. He scored a goal in each of the final four games against the Boston Bruins, a record Stanley Cup Final scoring streak he now shares with some guy named Wayne Gretzky. The Blues would probably not have won the cup if they had not made the trade.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$800,000
1$2,500,000
Trades
STL
  1. Johnson, Ryan [Reserve List]
  2. Thompson, Tage
Additional Details:
1. Berglund, Patrik
2. Sobotka, Vladimir
BUF
  1. 2021 3rd round pick (PHI)
  2. 2022 3rd round pick (PHI)
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$69,748,334$1,487,500$4,337,500$11,751,666
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
UFA - 6
$5,200,000$5,200,000
RW
UFA - 1
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 7
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$1,875,000$1,875,000
C
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,625,000$1,625,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$2,200,000$2,200,000
LW, C
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
RD
RFA - 1
$2,600,000$2,600,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$5,400,000$5,400,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 27, 2020 at 1:25 p.m.
cry
SevenLeg liked this.
Oct. 27, 2020 at 2:08 p.m.
At the time, the 2 cap dumps were borderline cap dumps, and they became cap dumps because they didn't have quality on them, and Berglund had it easy in St.Louis his entire career just lazy in general, Wasn't surprised he left the NHL.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Oct. 27, 2020 at 2:39 p.m.
Such an absolutely brutal trade. Botterills gone, no point beating that dead horse anymore. I suppose we could blame the pegulas for insisting that ror be moved before paying the bonus, but since they blew past their self-imposed 70 million dollar cap as soon as they got a chance to sign hall...its just weird i guess.
SevenLeg liked this.
Oct. 27, 2020 at 6:09 p.m.
mokumboi
200.gif
SevenLeg liked this.
Oct. 28, 2020 at 2:26 p.m.
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
At the time, the 2 cap dumps were borderline cap dumps, and they became cap dumps because they didn't have quality on them, and Berglund had it easy in St.Louis his entire career just lazy in general, Wasn't surprised he left the NHL.

I agree Berglund was not a pure cap dump.
He had 17 goals his last season with the Blues in only 57 games and 23 the previous full season.
Of course, stories change to suit peoples opinions and this is a perfect example.
Not much was made of this but the Sabres became a dumpster fire right after he left the team.
During the preseason he being called the "Swedish Uncle" by the media.
I agree, he was not a dump as many are portraying.
Sobotka on the other hand did not seem to offer much talent, but Krueger liked his style so much he put him on the second line.
You obviously watched more Blue playoff games than I.
While on vacation we met a couple of Blues fans who had strong opinions of O'Reilly's performance prior to the finals.
Could you please share what you observed about his contribution.
In particular could you comment on game 7 against the Stars.
Quoting: sabres89
Such an absolutely brutal trade. Botterills gone, no point beating that dead horse anymore. I suppose we could blame the pegulas for insisting that ror be moved before paying the bonus, but since they blew past their self-imposed 70 million dollar cap as soon as they got a chance to sign hall...its just weird i guess.

Quoting: mokumboi
200.gif

I know it was a shame to break up that Stanley cup team.
Oops, I meant it was a shame to break up that play off team.
Oops, I meant it was a shame to break up that bubble team.
Oops, I meant it was a shame to trade away a multi trophy winner.

Did you ever listen to O'Reilly's entire interview?
https://thehockeywriters.com/sabres-oreilly-deserves-respect-not-accusations/
listen at 1:54, 3:00, 4:58 and 5:08 lost his love of the game. We were lucky to get a bucket of pucks after this interview.
Did you remember that STL was in last place until Binnington joined the Blues?
Did you ever read an analysis of the trade directly after the trade: https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2018/07/01/trade-blues-spend-big-to-get-ryan-oreilly-from-sabres/
Only after the trade he had a "spark" https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ryan-oreilly-trade-blues-spark-now/

I watched the Blues in the playoffs , if O'Reilly played with that high of intensity the Sabres would never have traded him and the team would have made the playoffs at least one of the years he was here.

Hindsight is always 20-20 but you all know the Blues missed the playoff by one point the previous season and added not only O'Reilly but Bozak, Perron and Binnington.
And with Berglund, the Sabres got off to a great start and were in first place in the entire league.
I guess we all forget about these sort of things once we make up our mind about a trade.

EDIT:
Somehow the Sabres had a better record the following year after he was traded.
How is that possible when he was such a great player.
Oct. 28, 2020 at 3:15 p.m.
Quoting: gretzkyghosts
I agree Berglund was not a pure cap dump.
He had 17 goals his last season with the Blues in only 57 games and 23 the previous full season.
Of course, stories change to suit peoples opinions and this is a perfect example.
Not much was made of this but the Sabres became a dumpster fire right after he left the team.
During the preseason he being called the "Swedish Uncle" by the media.
I agree, he was not a dump as many are portraying.
Sobotka on the other hand did not seem to offer much talent, but Krueger liked his style so much he put him on the second line.
You obviously watched more Blue playoff games than I.
While on vacation we met a couple of Blues fans who had strong opinions of O'Reilly's performance prior to the finals.
Could you please share what you observed about his contribution.
In particular could you comment on game 7 against the Stars.

I know it was a shame to break up that Stanley cup team.
Oops, I meant it was a shame to break up that play off team.
Oops, I meant it was a shame to break up that bubble team.
Oops, I meant it was a shame to trade away a multi trophy winner.

Did you ever listen to O'Reilly's entire interview?
https://thehockeywriters.com/sabres-oreilly-deserves-respect-not-accusations/
listen at 1:54, 3:00, 4:58 and 5:08 lost his love of the game. We were lucky to get a bucket of pucks after this interview.
Did you remember that STL was in last place until Binnington joined the Blues?
Did you ever read an analysis of the trade directly after the trade: https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2018/07/01/trade-blues-spend-big-to-get-ryan-oreilly-from-sabres/
Only after the trade he had a "spark" https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ryan-oreilly-trade-blues-spark-now/

I watched the Blues in the playoffs , if O'Reilly played with that high of intensity the Sabres would never have traded him and the team would have made the playoffs at least one of the years he was here.

Hindsight is always 20-20 but you all know the Blues missed the playoff by one point the previous season and added not only O'Reilly but Bozak, Perron and Binnington.
And with Berglund, the Sabres got off to a great start and were in first place in the entire league.
I guess we all forget about these sort of things once we make up our mind about a trade.

EDIT:
Somehow the Sabres had a better record the following year after he was traded.
How is that possible when he was such a great player.

Game 7 was interesting yes he had an okay game, but he was eliminated between the game because they were very good at completely eliminating his shots he had 2 shots one of them was from behind the blueline, and the other was from the face off circle, now when it came to driving and puck possession he was good so the persistence of Blues fan is more or less they have to have something to complain about so let's jus rip a new one for a random player on the team. It has been mostly Alex Pietrangelo, Jake Allen, Alexander Steen, and Justin Faulk.
Oct. 28, 2020 at 3:57 p.m.
Got a question for Blues fans.

If you go back in time knowing everything you do today, would you take this trade if Tage Thompson and a 1st was replaced with Robert Thomas and a 2nd? I'm just curious as that's what I was clamoring for at the time.
Oct. 28, 2020 at 4:22 p.m.
Game 7 was interesting yes he had an okay game, but he was eliminated between the game because they were very good at completely eliminating his shots he had 2 shots one of them was from behind the blueline, and the other was from the face off circle, now when it came to driving and puck possession he was good so the persistence of Blues fan is more or less they have to have something to complain about so let's jus rip a new one for a random player on the team. It has been mostly Alex Pietrangelo, Jake Allen, Alexander Steen, and Justin Faulk.

The two Blues fans we met on vacation had nothing good to say about O'Reilly.
They felt he was not a big factor prior to the final series.
As I said, I watched him in the playoffs, he NEVER played that way in Buffalo.
I would watch him win a faceoff in the defensive zone and about 50% of the time carry to the offensive blue line only to dump the puck in and I would watch the other team carry it out.
Sure he won many face offs but would subsequently give the puck away.
Oct. 28, 2020 at 4:56 p.m.
They felt he was not a big factor prior to the final series.
As I said, I watched him in the playoffs, he NEVER played that way in Buffalo.
I would watch him win a faceoff in the defensive zone and about 50% of the time carry to the offensive blue line only to dump the puck in and I would watch the other team carry it out.
Sure he won many face offs but would subsequently give the puck away.

O'Reilly might not be the X-Factor offensively as most Blues fans only see offensive play, but his defensive play was second to none in playoffs, and in that being said I feel that was the reason he won the Conn Smythe not his offensive performance in Stanley Cup Finals.
mokumboi liked this.
Oct. 28, 2020 at 5:38 p.m.
O'Reilly might not be the X-Factor offensively as most Blues fans only see offensive play, but his defensive play was second to none in playoffs, and in that being said I feel that was the reason he won the Conn Smythe not his offensive performance in Stanley Cup Finals.

thank you for your thoughts.
I know +/- does not reveal the entire story, but going into the finals he has the highest +/- of all skaters among the four teams.
The two going to the finals and the two eliminated.
As I said, he did not try while a Sabre, but played well in the finals.
Oct. 28, 2020 at 5:43 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: Shootica

If you go back in time knowing everything you do today, would you take this trade if Tage Thompson and a 1st was replaced with Robert Thomas and a 2nd? I'm just curious as that's what I was clamoring for at the time.

Thomas was basically untouchable. Well, still is.
Shootica liked this.
Oct. 28, 2020 at 5:45 p.m.
mokumboi

Let me just go ahead and let you in on something: a considerable segment of Blues fans are dumber than a wet sack of hammers. Of course, I'm sure that's the case with all teams in every sport.
Shylo_Moxii and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Oct. 28, 2020 at 6:00 p.m.
Quoting: Shootica

mmmmm no, Thomas was untouchable. Kyrou or Kostin maybe, but Thomas is a HUGE no.
Shootica liked this.
Oct. 28, 2020 at 6:25 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Let me just go ahead and let you in on something: a considerable segment of Blues fans are dumber than a wet sack of hammers. Of course, I'm sure that's the case with all teams in every sport.

yes but those are mostly lemmings who agree with anything broadcast or printed.
I thought it was very unusual for two fans to go against the flow.
Oct. 28, 2020 at 6:36 p.m.
mokumboi
yes but those are mostly lemmings who agree with anything broadcast or printed.
I thought it was very unusual for two fans to go against the flow.

Actually, in St. Louis the dimwits go against the flow, across the river and over looney mountain just to be adversarial. Their takes are bananas and they hate everything good.
Shylo_Moxii liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll