SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Montreal Canadiens

Why Kotkaniemi Isnt A Bust

Nov. 19, 2020 at 11:47 a.m.
Banned
Jesperi Kotkaniemi isn't a bust. He's still way too young to be called that. He just turned 20 years old. The stat sheet shows him having 4 goals and 0 assists in 10 games in the playoffs, which might not look very good, but he played like an amazing centerman showing great potential. If he can play like he did in those playoffs, the future is bright. Besides, most people that label him a bust are delusional Leafs fans. The same fans that think Sandin has a higher ceiling than guys like Miro Heiskanen when he will be no more than a solid second pairing. d-man. Jesperi Kotkaniemi WILL be a solid number 2 center behind Suzuki in the future but for now, he is just a good, young center who showed great promise and confidence in the playoffs.

stop calling him a bust leafs fans
worry about your own team lol
Nov. 19, 2020 at 11:47 a.m.
Banned
SevenLeg liked this.
Nov. 19, 2020 at 11:48 a.m.
RangerWall92
He's not a bust, just picked too early
Nov. 19, 2020 at 11:50 a.m.
Go Hawks
Quoting: RangerWall92
He's not a bust, just picked too early

That is exactly what I was gonna say. I can't really tell yet. I'm surprised you have Suzuki as a higher ceiling tho.
Nov. 19, 2020 at 11:51 a.m.
anyone who says any player is a bust before he even has 200NHL GP under his belt is just ridiculous. it's the best hockey league in the world it takes time to develop to be able to play at that pace and physicality. Unless youre a Crosby or Mcdavid talent it takes time!!!!!
lebronisdagoat liked this.
Nov. 19, 2020 at 11:51 a.m.
Why are so many Habs fans suddenly thinking Kotkaniemi might be a bust? Sure getting a lot of AGMs about it.
Nov. 19, 2020 at 11:53 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Byrr
Why are so many Habs fans suddenly thinking Kotkaniemi might be a bust? Sure getting a lot of AGMs about it.

did u even read the description
Nov. 19, 2020 at 11:54 a.m.
Quoting: lebronisdagoat
did u even read the description

I did but if you wern't worried about it you wouldn't be spamming AGMs. They have been a curious view into the inner thoughts of Habs fans.
Nov. 19, 2020 at 11:57 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Byrr
I did but if you wern't worried about it you wouldn't be spamming AGMs. They have been a curious view into the inner thoughts of Habs fans.

im not worried at all lol
i think he has great upside
and the only reason i made an agm of this is because i saw ONE earlier
idk where u get that i am spamming
Nov. 19, 2020 at 11:58 a.m.
Quoting: lebronisdagoat
and the only reason i made an agm of this is because i saw ONE earlier

The reasonable reaction to seeing an AGM you agree with isn't posting one of your own to let it be known. Its a view into your thoughts, what you are worried about happening.
Nov. 19, 2020 at 12:01 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Just a quick aside: I've relocated this to the Canadiens discussion thread.

We've been asked to try and keep non-AGM teams out of the AGM section: I understand that there's less exposure by not being on the AGM page, but you can always tag other users or link to this thread in other discussions to help support an argument.

For what it's worth, Kotkaniemi is a textbook example as to why BPA > immediate needs should always be a team's draft-day paradigm. Kotkaniemi is going to be a quality top-6 guy, but there were a few names that definitely should have been called before his at that draft. We'll look back in a decade or two and recognize that he's still a top-15 selection in his draft year, but the amount of names ahead of his on that hindsight list is yet to be determined. I like the player.
Byrr and lebronisdagoat liked this.
Nov. 19, 2020 at 2:31 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Edited Nov. 19, 2020 at 2:40 p.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
Just a quick aside: I've relocated this to the Canadiens discussion thread.

We've been asked to try and keep non-AGM teams out of the AGM section: I understand that there's less exposure by not being on the AGM page, but you can always tag other users or link to this thread in other discussions to help support an argument.

For what it's worth, Kotkaniemi is a textbook example as to why BPA > immediate needs should always be a team's draft-day paradigm. Kotkaniemi is going to be a quality top-6 guy, but there were a few names that definitely should have been called before his at that draft. We'll look back in a decade or two and recognize that he's still a top-15 selection in his draft year, but the amount of names ahead of his on that hindsight list is yet to be determined. I like the player.

I’d argue that (at least so far) KK has proven the opposite of what you’re saying. In fact, the habs have surprisingly benefited for mostly drafting by positional need. A #1C has been a need in Montreal for over 20 years, and without KK this team wouldn’t have been nearly in as good of a position going forward as they are right now. As well, the habs turned a weakness in the organization into a strength over the span of 2 drafts by drafting Romanov, Harris, Struble, & Norlinder. As good as Quinn Hughes is, for the habs I’d rather have Kotkaniemi & our other LHD any day of the week. It’s extremely hard to find #1C from anywhere other than drafting, so I give Timmins & Co. props to going for a player who they didn’t expect to be able to acquire otherwise.
lebronisdagoat liked this.
Nov. 19, 2020 at 3:26 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
I’d argue that (at least so far) KK has proven the opposite of what you’re saying. In fact, the habs have surprisingly benefited for mostly drafting by positional need. A #1C has been a need in Montreal for over 20 years, and without KK this team wouldn’t have been nearly in as good of a position going forward as they are right now. As well, the habs turned a weakness in the organization into a strength over the span of 2 drafts by drafting Romanov, Harris, Struble, & Norlinder. As good as Quinn Hughes is, for the habs I’d rather have Kotkaniemi & our other LHD any day of the week. It’s extremely hard to find #1C from anywhere other than drafting, so I give Timmins & Co. props to going for a player who they didn’t expect to be able to acquire otherwise.

What specifically has Kotkaniemi proven?

Everything I've seen from him at the NHL level (very limited viewings) and everything I see from his statistics paint a picture of a player very much still developing. His NHLe derived from both his Liiga and AHL numbers suggests he's a top-six talent but do not accurately depict him necessarily as a top-line performer. He's behind a lot of names in TOI and in raw production: what am I missing? It's not like I have an agenda against the guy, he just wasn't the best pick Montreal could have made at #3, and has continued to show that his selection was premature.

Quite frankly, I don't care about how the Kotkaniemi-and-resultant-drafting situation might fluke into benefitting Montreal (a future core of BOTH Hughes and Romanov would have been world-ending). Objectively, Kotkaniemi is going to pan out as a top-15 talent and the jury's out on whether or not he finds another gear and elevates to a top-line calibre player. Can Kotkaniemi be justified as a top-5 selection in a decade or two if he doesn't reach that potential and/or names selected below him (specifically Zadina, Tkachuk, and Hughes) continue on their early projections?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll