Forums/Armchair-GM

First Time Trying This

Created by: TheNorthStar
Team: 2020-21 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 20, 2020
Published: Nov. 20, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
My first time trying an armchair gm, please give me your thoughts on these moves.

So for the first trade, I thought that both of these teams owe these guys a fresh start, so I just had them exchange players.

For the Canucks trade, the Canucks need to get cap compliant, and also could use another defenseman, so they trade away Sutter and a 2nd to gain a decent bottom pairing defenseman while clearing cap space. Detroit Gains a pick as well as a veteran presence and 3rd line centre, as well as space for Moritz Seider. Sutter probably wouldn't waive his no-trade clause for Detroit, but you never know.

For the last deal, Edmonton gets an upgrade in net for a 3rd and 6th and Mike Smith. Detroit gets more picks. I don't see this going through because Mike Smith probably wouldn't waive his NTC, but then again, Yzerman was able to convince guys to go to Detroit multiple times this off season.

So that's all the trades I came up with, let me know if you think they're fair and would work.
Trades
NYI
  1. Svechnikov, Evgeny
  2. 2021 5th round pick (DET)
DET
  1. Sutter, Brandon
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (VAN)
VAN
  1. Nemeth, Patrik ($1,500,000 retained)
DET
  1. Smith, Mike
  2. 2021 6th round pick (EDM)
  3. 2022 3rd round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Bernier, Jonathan ($1,500,000 retained)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the DET
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the DET
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$66,497,223$0$1,507,500$15,002,777

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
UFA - 3
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$2,950,000$2,950,000
LW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$4,375,000$4,375,000
RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the New York Islanders
$700,000$700,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$3,850,000$3,850,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$714,166$714,166 (Performance Bonus$157,500$158K)
RD
RFA - 1
$3,600,000$3,600,000
G
UFA - 2
$5,700,000$5,700,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
RD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
RD
RFA - 4
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$1,500,000$1,500,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
G
NTC
UFA - 1
$875,000$875,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,083,333$6,083,333
C
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$997,500$997,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 20, 2020 at 7:13 p.m.
RangerWall92
I'll give you my honest opinion:

For your first one it's pretty damn good
Nov. 20, 2020 at 7:32 p.m.
Want to give smith a chance to redeem himself from play in. If he craps the bed again this is a deal circle back to.
Nov. 20, 2020 at 7:33 p.m.
StevieY19!!
Quoting: RangerWall92

Ditto! Like the explanations. Doubt the EDM trade goes through because I don't think it's a trade that really pushes them to the next level of contending in the playoffs but it's still pretty fair. You may need to add a bit more on the Ho-Sang trade but it's pretty close. Overall though, solid first ACGM better than a lot that I see from guys who have done these for years because they are just so biased towards their team.
oilersguy, TheNorthStar, aedoran and 2 others liked this.
Nov. 20, 2020 at 8:27 p.m.
RangerWall92
Quoting: AnyoneButTheBruins
Ditto! Like the explanations. Doubt the EDM trade goes through because I don't think it's a trade that really pushes them to the next level of contending in the playoffs but it's still pretty fair. You may need to add a bit more on the Ho-Sang trade but it's pretty close. Overall though, solid first ACGM better than a lot that I see from guys who have done these for years because they are just so biased towards their team.

Definitely better than my first one. I was getting flamed like there was no tomorrow
Nov. 20, 2020 at 8:28 p.m.
Quoting: RangerWall92

Quoting: Timmah007
Want to give smith a chance to redeem himself from play in. If he craps the bed again this is a deal circle back to.

Quoting: AnyoneButTheBruins

Thanks guys, appreciate it!
aedoran, AnyoneButTheBruins, Timmah007 and 2 others liked this.
Nov. 20, 2020 at 9:19 p.m.
GloryDaysAreBack
The fact that this is so well thought out trumps a lot of trades you see here on the daily. I also like that you did the disclaimer about these players NTC because one of the top responses to these things is "HE WOULDN'T NEVER WAIVE JOKAWEJNFOWAEFH!" You're always welcome to chime in about why too. ex: I think Smith and his family love it in Michigan, he's closer to his family in Kingston, he wouldn't have to share the crease as much, etc.

I love your first trade, after watching the Avs kill a change-of-scenery trade with Graves and Bigras, I fully support them. I think Svech for Ho-Sang makes a lot of sense for both clubs.

I think a second + Sutter would be how much it takes to get Nemeth, he is very solid as a 3rd pairing and is a good injury fill-in in the top 4 (watched him on the Avs). I like that to counteract that you're trading a bonafide bottom 6 + a 2nd for a 3rd pairing dman you made it clear it was a cap dump and those can be costly and Detroit has benefitted from a capdump for a 2nd already. Great research, I don't see the Canucks doing it. Canucks may want all their picks by the TDL for adding to their roster or for the expansion to control a bit who Seattle takes.

I think Bernier is the main goalie for Detroit and I don't seem them mortgaging Bernier for a 3rd and 6th, they've been in the basement for a little while now, they're looking to show the fans stability in some way they can and keeping Bernier does that for now. Plus he has been wanting a shot to be a #1 for a team forever now. At the TDL, there could be some pressure for buyers to add goaltending which could get them a 1st or 2nd possibly.

I think overall this is pretty good, I look forward to what other ACGMs you come up with in the future
TheNorthStar and Book_Hockey liked this.
Nov. 20, 2020 at 9:21 p.m.
Quoting: BlastnyFromThePastny
The fact that this is so well thought out trumps a lot of trades you see here on the daily. I also like that you did the disclaimer about these players NTC because one of the top responses to these things is "HE WOULDN'T NEVER WAIVE JOKAWEJNFOWAEFH!" You're always welcome to chime in about why too. ex: I think Smith and his family love it in Michigan, he's closer to his family in Kingston, he wouldn't have to share the crease as much, etc.

I love your first trade, after watching the Avs kill a change-of-scenery trade with Graves and Bigras, I fully support them. I think Svech for Ho-Sang makes a lot of sense for both clubs.

I think a second + Sutter would be how much it takes to get Nemeth, he is very solid as a 3rd pairing and is a good injury fill-in in the top 4 (watched him on the Avs). I like that to counteract that you're trading a bonafide bottom 6 + a 2nd for a 3rd pairing dman you made it clear it was a cap dump and those can be costly and Detroit has benefitted from a capdump for a 2nd already. Great research, I don't see the Canucks doing it. Canucks may want all their picks by the TDL for adding to their roster or for the expansion to control a bit who Seattle takes.

I think Bernier is the main goalie for Detroit and I don't seem them mortgaging Bernier for a 3rd and 6th, they've been in the basement for a little while now, they're looking to show the fans stability in some way they can and keeping Bernier does that for now. Plus he has been wanting a shot to be a #1 for a team forever now. At the TDL, there could be some pressure for buyers to add goaltending which could get them a 1st or 2nd possibly.

I think overall this is pretty good, I look forward to what other ACGMs you come up with in the future

Thanks man, really appreciate the feedback!
Nov. 21, 2020 at 2:09 a.m.

I’d give holland a solid A for his work in the offseason but his resigning of Smith drops it down to a C the smith signing was a huge gamble last yr that brought mix results at best he’s a yr older been injury prone though his career it’s a disaster in the making one Edmonton can’t afford Koskinen better stand on his head this yr for us to have a chance, with Klefbom out our defence is big question mark at this point can Jones step up and play 20 plus mins a night because asking Russell to do that is a huge red flag.
TheNorthStar liked this.
Nov. 21, 2020 at 8:13 a.m.
PlusMinus is stupid
I don't see the fit for the Edmonton trade, but the other two are interesting ideas. Maybe a few tweaks, but the thought process is solid.
TheNorthStar liked this.
Nov. 21, 2020 at 10:48 a.m.
Quoting: GrinReaper
I’d give holland a solid A for his work in the offseason but his resigning of Smith drops it down to a C the smith signing was a huge gamble last yr that brought mix results at best he’s a yr older been injury prone though his career it’s a disaster in the making one Edmonton can’t afford Koskinen better stand on his head this yr for us to have a chance, with Klefbom out our defence is big question mark at this point can Jones step up and play 20 plus mins a night because asking Russell to do that is a huge red flag.

I don’t think smith is actually that bad he had an overall pretty decent season if it’s a short season this year which I think is fair to expect that just lessens reliance on him. The one thing I actually really really like about bringing smith back is more his personality around the team. He’s very outspoken which i personally feel is VERY lacking within that dressing room from veterans.
TheNorthStar liked this.
Nov. 22, 2020 at 12:23 p.m.
I don’t think smith is actually that bad he had an overall pretty decent season if it’s a short season this year which I think is fair to expect that just lessens reliance on him. The one thing I actually really really like about bringing smith back is more his personality around the team. He’s very outspoken which i personally feel is VERY lacking within that dressing room from veterans.

I will agree with you Smith does bring some fire and intensity to the room that is lacking all three of McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH are soft spoken quiet voices in that room, Lucic tried to bring it but his on ice performance lead to his voice being toxic in the room, I’m not sure Smiths voice in the room makes up for his pour play on the ice, just a little nervous in the faith Tip has in him to when Koskinen was badly out playing Smith Tip would throw Mike back in instead of just riding Koskinen when he was hot, see how the season turns out I guess.
TheNorthStar liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll