Forums/Armchair-GM

Will They Regret Trading Hornqvist

Created by: AnalyticsGeek
Team: 2020-21 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 26, 2020
Published: Nov. 26, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Though it hasn't been talked about a lot, I feel Hornqvist is gonna have a monster year in Florida next season. If he stays healthy, I bet he can get around 30 goals. He's going to be playing alongside 2 elite playmaking forwards who will be able to get him the puck in scoring areas, plus will see top PP time. I don't really understand why the Penguins didn't give Hornqvist much of an opportunity alongside Crosby over the past 2 seasons. Historically, the Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist line have always done great in terms of generating offence, yet the coach always played inferior guys like Sheary or Simon in that RW position. Honestly if they kept Hornqvist, there would've been no need to give up a 1st and top prospect for Kapanen. They could've used those assets to get an excellent 3C instead.
Trades
WPG
    2021 1st Round Pick
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$81,500,000$77,892,676$0$850,000$3,607,324

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $8,700,000$8,700,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    Logo of the Florida Panthers
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    RW
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $2,940,000$2,940,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
    $2,916,667$2,916,667
    C
    UFA - 1
    $894,167$894,167
    C, LW
    RFA - 4
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,100,000$4,100,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $7,250,000$7,250,000
    RD
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    G
    UFA - 3
    $4,025,175$4,025,175
    LD
    UFA - 5
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $1,150,000$1,150,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $700,000$700,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 3:30 p.m.
    Banned
    Do you guys think the Penguins made a mistake trading Hornqvist?
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 3:31 p.m.
    Hop on the Slaftrain
    A 1st round pick for Adam Lowry tears of joy
    mhockey91, Missouri and Pensfan89 liked this.
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 3:36 p.m.
    Banned
    Because he is slow, has no hands, and cant play top 6 minutes on a real contender
    mhockey91, Pens3lieve, pharrow and 2 others liked this.
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 3:37 p.m.
    Quoting: MitchMarnerElite

If I thought they were still top contenders...yes. The fact that they've bombed the last two years makes me think it was worth the risk of an underachieving Matheson. If he can regain that form of a few years ago it allows them to possibly deal dumolin or pettersson for a superior forward to hornqvist which could make them better. Worst case they dont go far in playoffs which was likely the case anyway.
    mhockey91 and Pensfan89 liked this.
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 3:39 p.m.

No, we needed to get younger and faster. Hornqvist was owed 5.3M for 3 more years. I wish we would have done better in the trade. But it still afforded us 500k in cap space and although people dislike matheson, he’s only 26, he definitely adds speed to our team, and an offensive defensemen, and Pens have a good defensive system and have a descent track record with under-performing talent, so we’ll see!!

I think it was a good idea, and if the best we could get back from a 33 year old Hornqvist, who was owed 5.3M for 3 more years was Matheson, which I’m sure it was the best option, then ya, it’s the right move. But like I said, I would’ve have liked a better return, or Matheson is fine, and I don’t even hate the contract number, it’s the term.
    mhockey91 and Pensfan89 liked this.
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 3:41 p.m.
    i mean, they'll regret trading him simply because they got absolutely fleeced in the trade. Same, with the Kapanen trade. They wont miss the pieces out, the pieces coming in were just terribly underwhelming. Matheson sucks real bad.
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 3:48 p.m.
    Quoting: JaredOfLondon
    i mean, they'll regret trading him simply because they got absolutely fleeced in the trade. Same, with the Kapanen trade. They wont miss the pieces out, the pieces coming in were just terribly underwhelming. Matheson sucks real bad.

I’ll remember this when Kap scores 25 goals with Sid. Did they overpay for Kap? Yes no doubt, but they definitely didn’t get a “bad” player in return. He fits our system of speed.

Same with Matheson for hornqvist. I think Matheson will do a lot better in Pit and regain his earlier seasons success. Hornqvist was on a downfall and was treading toward Ladd/Backes territory.
    penslover8771 liked this.
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 3:51 p.m.
    Quoting: Theozler
    If I thought they were still top contenders...yes. The fact that they've bombed the last two years makes me think it was worth the risk of an underachieving Matheson. If he can regain that form of a few years ago it allows them to possibly deal dumolin or pettersson for a superior forward to hornqvist which could make them better. Worst case they dont go far in playoffs which was likely the case anyway.

Yup. It was a risk they decided to take. If Matheson can regain his form, they can trade MP for a good forward, thus making their team much better. It’s risky, but I think it could very well work out. We’re not dealing with a jack Johnson or rob scuderi here. Matheson has the tools to be a solid #4D
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 3:53 p.m.
    Quoting: mhockey91
    I’ll remember this when Kap scores 25 goals with Sid. Did they overpay for Kap? Yes no doubt, but they definitely didn’t get a “bad” player in return. He fits our system of speed.

Same with Matheson for hornqvist. I think Matheson will do a lot better in Pit and regain his earlier seasons success. Hornqvist was on a downfall and was treading toward Ladd/Backes territory.

i never said that Kap was bad, just underwhelming for the return. As far as 25 goals, well.....good luck with that, he might do it but he probably wont unless Sid figures out how to use him as an elite net front pin ball bumper.
    And Matheson is terrible, he's always been terrible, he's never had earlier season success. He's just a bad defender and he cant contribute offensively. Unless he figures something out or finds a magic amulet or something he is what he is, a bad over paid bottom pairing guy that a couple oldschool GM's fell in love with because he's big and physical kinda
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 3:54 p.m.
    Hakuna Matata

yep

His contract wasnt great but pp1 is going to suffer without him screening the goalie. In general is presence and abilities were great for them and the return he got is going to hurt in the long run. Matheson is okay but his contract is to long and his defensive lapses can be costly. Sceviour is also okay but with the additions of Jankowski and other 3rd and 4th liners I just dont see how its gonna work.

In general GMJR seems to want this team to continue to be competitive and it should be but the moves he made seem to have kept them relatively the same and not shifted the point to becoming a better team. We will just have to wait and see.
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 4:01 p.m.
    i never said that Kap was bad, just underwhelming for the return. As far as 25 goals, well.....good luck with that, he might do it but he probably wont unless Sid figures out how to use him as an elite net front pin ball bumper.
    And Matheson is terrible, he's always been terrible, he's never had earlier season success. He's just a bad defender and he cant contribute offensively. Unless he figures something out or finds a magic amulet or something he is what he is, a bad over paid bottom pairing guy that a couple oldschool GM's fell in love with because he's big and physical kinda

if Kap can score 20 goals while spending most of the season on the third line after Nylander came back, then im sure he can score 25 goals on a top line with Sid.

matheson actually was very successful early in his career. he has all the tools to be a great D man. there is a reason he was defensemen of the world championship of hockey back in 2016, while being surrounded with good players. he's also not that bad defensively. he's just prone to A LOT of turnovers. if he can fix that part of his game, he would be a legit top 4 D. GMJR's offseason is going to surprise a lot of Penguin haters. Matheson doesn't have to be great for the entire term of his 6 year deal, but if he can be good for the first 3 (which I think is very possible), then Pens will come out as bandits. hornqvist is only trending downhill, matheson is only going to trend up

https://twitter.com/FauxCentre/status/1309545466728796173?s=20
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 4:02 p.m.

I’ll take Kapanen for the next 3 years over Amirov and Hallander. Hallender is a 3C or 3 LW ceiling. He’s a “C” prospect, “B-“ at best. And once I saw that goalie, Rossi, Seth Jarvis, or Jake Sanderson didn’t fall to 15, and Leafs took Amirov, I was even more happy with the trade. If the Pens kept 15 I would’ve been pissed if they took Amirov. I would have wanted them to take either C.Zary, K.Guhle(who was drafted at 16), or even Hendrix Lapiere(I was mad he went to the Caps). I’ll take Kappy everyday of the week over Amirov and Hallander!!
    Pens3lieve and mhockey91 liked this.
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 4:11 p.m.
    if Kap can score 20 goals while spending most of the season on the third line after Nylander came back, then im sure he can score 25 goals on a top line with Sid.

matheson actually was very successful early in his career. he has all the tools to be a great D man. there is a reason he was defensemen of the world championship of hockey back in 2016, while being surrounded with good players. he's also not that bad defensively. he's just prone to A LOT of turnovers. if he can fix that part of his game, he would be a legit top 4 D. GMJR's offseason is going to surprise a lot of Penguin haters. Matheson doesn't have to be great for the entire term of his 6 year deal, but if he can be good for the first 3 (which I think is very possible), then Pens will come out as bandits. hornqvist is only trending downhill, matheson is only going to trend up

https://twitter.com/FauxCentre/status/1309545466728796173?s=20

Kap scored 20 goals because he went on a heater while playing on Matthews wing for almost half a season and it got him to like 13 goals and then he scored 7 the back half. He has the ability to do it if his shooting percentage goes wild. He's gonna need a lot of help to hit 25, especially more than once.
    as far as the 2016 WC team, Cody Ceci was also there. that means nothing. And it's not just turn overs, he's just not good. He cant limit shots or chances against, he's the worst defensive guy on any pairing hes been on and he's near enough 27 years old. If he hasnt figured it out now he probably never will.
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 4:12 p.m.
    Hockey IQ

no.
    mhockey91 liked this.
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 4:14 p.m.
    Quoting: PGHBOB69
    I’ll take Kapanen for the next 3 years over Amirov and Hallander. Hallender is a 3C or 3 LW ceiling. He’s a “C” prospect, “B-“ at best. And once I saw that goalie, Rossi, Seth Jarvis, or Jake Sanderson didn’t fall to 15, and Leafs took Amirov, I was even more happy with the trade. If the Pens kept 15 I would’ve been pissed if they took Amirov. I would have wanted them to take either C.Zary, K.Guhle(who was drafted at 16), or even Hendrix Lapiere(I was mad he went to the Caps). I’ll take Kappy everyday of the week over Amirov and Hallander!!

huh, crazy, when Kapanen was a Leaf he was a bad 3rd liner that cant score without an elite C, now he's suddenly better!
    As far as over Hallander and Amirov? haha, ok, you do you but that's plain nuts. Hallander's ceiling is basically what Kapanen is except as a C and Amirov is a very good prospect. If the leafs took Guhle, Zary or Lapierre at 15 it would have made the trade worse for them, not the Pens because Amirov is a better prospect.
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 4:14 p.m.
    Hockey IQ

Hornqvist is NOT going to have a monster year.
    many even said that about Phil last year and I knew that wasn't going to happen. Florida like Arizona stinks. Hornqvist isn't as good as he was in 2016-17. not even close. I would have traded Hornqvist a year or two ago if possible. I like Matheson's potential. if he stinks, cue Seattle. I personally am very optimistic about a turn around for him. bc unlike JJ, he's not a pylon. his analytics are pretty nice on a bad Florida team. he has speed and a good shot. give him a better partner than Ceci and I can see him rebounding to a #4D.
    mhockey91 liked this.
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 4:16 p.m.
    Kap scored 20 goals because he went on a heater while playing on Matthews wing for almost half a season and it got him to like 13 goals and then he scored 7 the back half. He has the ability to do it if his shooting percentage goes wild. He's gonna need a lot of help to hit 25, especially more than once.
    as far as the 2016 WC team, Cody Ceci was also there. that means nothing. And it's not just turn overs, he's just not good. He cant limit shots or chances against, he's the worst defensive guy on any pairing hes been on and he's near enough 27 years old. If he hasnt figured it out now he probably never will.

He only scored 7 goals in the back half cause he was moved to the third line. No wonder his scoring went down. Kap will be 25 goals and 50+ points on pit. He will get more opportunities there than Toronto.

And Matheson is not that bad defensively. I’ve watched him play. He has speed and size and does a much better job at limiting shots than you give him credit. I’d much rather have him than a future Andrew Laad in hornqvist. I’ll let the results speak for themselves. Matheson is one of the most misused players in the league. If pens use him right, he will do much better

https://twitter.com/fauxcentre/status/1309260664372973573?s=21
    Pens3lieve liked this.
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 4:18 p.m.
    huh, crazy, when Kapanen was a Leaf he was a bad 3rd liner that cant score without an elite C, now he's suddenly better!
    As far as over Hallander and Amirov? haha, ok, you do you but that's plain nuts. Hallander's ceiling is basically what Kapanen is except as a C and Amirov is a very good prospect. If the leafs took Guhle, Zary or Lapierre at 15 it would have made the trade worse for them, not the Pens because Amirov is a better prospect.

Hallender plays LW so clearly you don’t know much about him. His ceiling definitely isn’t kapanen.

Leafs would’ve been much better taking Schneider, Zary or Lapierre over amirov.
    Pens3lieve and PGHBOB69 liked this.
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 4:21 p.m.

Yup I agree. All 3 of those prospects I rate higher than Amirov. Especially lapierre. I wish he didn’t go to the caps
    Pens3lieve and PGHBOB69 liked this.
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 4:24 p.m.
    He only scored 7 goals in the back half cause he was moved to the third line. No wonder his scoring went down. Kap will be 25 goals and 50+ points on pit. He will get more opportunities there than Toronto.

And Matheson is not that bad defensively. I’ve watched him play. He has speed and size and does a much better job at limiting shots than you give him credit. I’d much rather have him than a future Andrew Laad in hornqvist. I’ll let the results speak for themselves. Matheson is one of the most misused players in the league. If pens use him right, he will do much better

https://twitter.com/fauxcentre/status/1309260664372973573?s=21

right, he scored 7 goals because he was on the 3rd line and not facing elite comp. You're also assuming he'll last on Sid's wing.
    and guess what, i've watched Matheson play too. He's awful, he has terrible defensive instincts, skates himself into trouble all the time and cant get out of it and he can rarely use his size to his advantage.
    You may not have future Andrew Ladd, but you've got a bottom pairing guy signed to a terrible contract until he's near in his mid 30s
    Capitalfail67 liked this.
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 4:25 p.m.
    They will regret having Mikey Matheson more than they will regret not having Hornqvist.
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 4:26 p.m.
    Hallender plays LW so clearly you don’t know much about him. His ceiling definitely isn’t kapanen.

Leafs would’ve been much better taking Schneider, Zary or Lapierre over amirov.

Hallander plays both wing AND center, so clearly you dont know much about him. His ceiling is defintely Kapanen.
    The Leafs would have been much worse taking Schneider (especially Schneider) or Lapierre over him, Zary is right there but i prefer Amirov.
    Hockey IQ
    Quoting: Theozler

No, we needed to get younger and faster. Hornqvist was owed 5.3M for 3 more years. I wish we would have done better in the trade. But it still afforded us 500k in cap space and although people dislike matheson, he’s only 26, he definitely adds speed to our team, and an offensive defensemen, and Pens have a good defensive system and have a descent track record with under-performing talent, so we’ll see!!

I think it was a good idea, and if the best we could get back from a 33 year old Hornqvist, who was owed 5.3M for 3 more years was Matheson, which I’m sure it was the best option, then ya, it’s the right move. But like I said, I would’ve have liked a better return, or Matheson is fine, and I don’t even hate the contract number, it’s the term.

younger and faster--check. matheson is a risk sure, but he's our new fastest d-man and he can move the puck. Hornqvist is always injured and getting alot slower...

all true. not the best deal for PIT rn, but they both could be pretty BIG wins if they pan out. Hornqvist, the 1st, and Hallander can't help now. Kapanen and matheson can. so it doesn't matter. the pens are ALL-IN for a couple more years.

Yup. It was a risk they decided to take. If Matheson can regain his form, they can trade MP for a good forward, thus making their team much better. It’s risky, but I think it could very well work out. We’re not dealing with a jack Johnson or rob scuderi here. Matheson has the tools to be a solid #4D

I love the potential matheson brings. he is a swift puck mover, he just needs to work on not forcing things bc that creates turnovers. get the new coaching staff on him and please let him play with anyone besides Ceci...and I think he can rebound...

Quoting: aadoyle
    yep

His contract wasnt great but pp1 is going to suffer without him screening the goalie. In general is presence and abilities were great for them and the return he got is going to hurt in the long run. Matheson is okay but his contract is to long and his defensive lapses can be costly. Sceviour is also okay but with the additions of Jankowski and other 3rd and 4th liners I just dont see how its gonna work.

In general GMJR seems to want this team to continue to be competitive and it should be but the moves he made seem to have kept them relatively the same and not shifted the point to becoming a better team. We will just have to wait and see.

I think the Pens can figure out a way to make the PP work without a good net front presence. ever since Phil left it has been sooooo inconsistent, even with horny... I think new coaches and a new strategy will help the PP. the pens just have too many good options to have a under 20% PP.
    I'd go with:
    PP1-Geno right half wall, Letang up top, Rust left half wall, guentzel mid slot, Crosby down low
    PP2-McCann right half wall, Matheson up top, Kapanen left half wall, zucker mid slot, Jankowski down low
    ---or on PP2 have both marino and matheson up top and Kapanen and McCann (half-walls) and zucker down low/net front

I think the pens need to get back to quick passing trying to find the cross seam feed. they have good playmakers so they should be able to move the puck quickly, get into the slot, and get off quick high danger shots....
    PGHBOB69 liked this.

Good luck with Hallander and Amirov buddy!! I’ll take Kappy!!

Ohh and by the Way Hallander is a LW!!

Good luck!!

Last time leafs traded a really fast player that was a bit of an a*s, to the Pens, he ended up eating hot dogs out of the Stanley cup!!
    Pens3lieve and mhockey91 liked this.
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 4:28 p.m.
    Good luck with Hallander and Amirov buddy!! I’ll take Kappy!!

Ohh and by the Way Hallender is a LW!!

Good luck!!

Thanks! Hope you like watching a guy skate the puck really fast into the corner a lot!

Ohhhh and by the way Hallander plays C too!

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll