Forums/Armchair-GM

Will They Regret Trading Hornqvist

Created by: AnalyticsGeek
Team: 2020-21 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 26, 2020
Published: Nov. 26, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Though it hasn't been talked about a lot, I feel Hornqvist is gonna have a monster year in Florida next season. If he stays healthy, I bet he can get around 30 goals. He's going to be playing alongside 2 elite playmaking forwards who will be able to get him the puck in scoring areas, plus will see top PP time. I don't really understand why the Penguins didn't give Hornqvist much of an opportunity alongside Crosby over the past 2 seasons. Historically, the Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist line have always done great in terms of generating offence, yet the coach always played inferior guys like Sheary or Simon in that RW position. Honestly if they kept Hornqvist, there would've been no need to give up a 1st and top prospect for Kapanen. They could've used those assets to get an excellent 3C instead.
Trades
WPG
    2021 1st Round Pick
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$81,500,000$77,892,676$0$850,000$3,607,324

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $8,700,000$8,700,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    Logo of the Florida Panthers
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    RW
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $2,940,000$2,940,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
    $2,916,667$2,916,667
    C
    UFA - 1
    $894,167$894,167
    C, LW
    RFA - 4
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,100,000$4,100,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $7,250,000$7,250,000
    RD
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    G
    UFA - 3
    $4,025,175$4,025,175
    LD
    UFA - 5
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $1,150,000$1,150,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $700,000$700,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 9:18 p.m.
    Hockey IQ
    Quoting: PGHBOB69
    Lol, wow, now I’m completely done. You just made the blocked list. Big difference bud. A top 6 or a bottom 6. Huge difference. Even a big difference in pay. The 1st two lines are interchangeable. See Leafs line-up and Mariner on the 2nd line!! I guess MRner and your 3rd line wings are even too!! Top 6 players and bottom 6 players are a huge difference!! The 3rd line is more of a defensive, checking line, that can chip in and score a bit. A lot less minutes than a top 6 forward too!! How do u not know this?? Lol. Really man, u need google in your life. Congrats though, u made the block list for that comment!!

Ohh ya? 18 pick and the 15th is a huge difference though?? That’s your thinking?? And a top 6 and bottom 6 isn’t?? Lol..wow!!

By the way, the video just confirms that the devils offered their 18 pick and another team offered a 1st too..that’s all. That’s all I was looking for, 1st thing google brought up!!

he's already on my list lol...it's unfortunate people keep quoting his posts so much bc blocks don't block those.... frown
    PGHBOB69 liked this.
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 9:20 p.m.
    Hockey IQ
    Quoting: MitchMarnerElite
    IDK man, Kessel when he went to Arizona didn’t have get to play with elite players around him (Schmaltz was his center & Crouse was his LW), so he wasn’t exactly put in a position to succeed. Hornqvist will get to share the ice with Barkov, Huberdeau & Ekblad (3 elite players). I just felt Hornqvist never got an opportunity to play with Sid & Jake over the past 2 seasons.

I highly doubt he is on the top line with those three players....hornqvist has never been as effective as Kessel, FLA is still a dumpster fire, and with a condensed schedule it's more likely Horny gets hurt. I think matheson will far outperform hornqvist honestly...
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 9:21 p.m.
    Hockey IQ
    Yes I was a huge Horny fan! I felt he was still good enough to play a top line role over the past 2 seasons, but the coaching staff wasn’t willing to take that risk which led to his departure. He will go down as one of the most important players in the team’s history!

Quoting: Missouri
    Yes 100%, Hornqvist has been a corner stone of the Penguins organization for years. He scored both game winners in both Stanley Cup Final games. Horny is a legend that we will never forget!!! Great memories watching him play! He will largely be missed by all of us!

if the pens had a like ring of honour or something, he'd be in it... not quite to the level of jersey retirement but he was an important piece in those cups.
    Missouri liked this.
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 9:25 p.m.
    Hockey IQ
    Quoting: hockeyfanatic05
    The Crosby/Malkin pumping numbers is not always correct. Yes, it happens. But look at all the wingers who failed playing with them 2. If it were always true, why didnt Simon ever score 10+ goals? Crosby and Malkin can only do so much

Quoting: Capitalfail67
    Bc Simon is terrible and his upside is defensive hockey?

yeah true. not everyone can play with Sid and score 30 instantly. Penguins Myths 101. Simon just plain can't finish. Sid liked playing with him bc Simon got him the puck. to play with Sid and geno it's it SOOOO much about fit and comfort level as opposed to skill and 40 goal stuff. although guentzel is both conveniently.....which makes him even more deadly.
    Capitalfail67 liked this.
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 9:35 p.m.
    Banned
    Bc Simon is terrible and his upside is defensive hockey?

So why is it when theres a winger that plays with crosby, and that winger scores points, its because of crosby. But when a winger doesnt put up points, he sucks?
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 9:58 p.m.
    Caps fan idk why
    So why is it when theres a winger that plays with crosby, and that winger scores points, its because of crosby. But when a winger doesnt put up points, he sucks?

Okay since you struggle to follow my point I’ll dumb it down. Simon is a 4th line player MAYBE on some NHL rosters that was able to score at a 30 point pace while on Crosby / Malkin wing. I doubt he’s able to score 10 point or make the Flames roster next year. Yeah he’s a terrible player offensively. Like I said previously his value is on the defensive side of the puck. Playing with elite center will improve a players stats .... common sense shouldn’t be this hard to understand

Kessel didn’t put up points w Sid and I didn’t say he sucks ? Sheary Simon Kunitz PD are all great examples of bottom 6 players that look like top liners with Sid
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 10:00 p.m.
    Caps fan idk why
    Quoting: Pens3lieve
    yeah true. not everyone can play with Sid and score 30 instantly. Penguins Myths 101. Simon just plain can't finish. Sid liked playing with him bc Simon got him the puck. to play with Sid and geno it's it SOOOO much about fit and comfort level as opposed to skill and 40 goal stuff. although guentzel is both conveniently.....which makes him even more deadly.

Crosby generally gels will with high IQ grit players. Kap is neither of those. They should have targeted Domi IMO
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 10:17 p.m.
    Banned
    Okay since you struggle to follow my point I’ll dumb it down. Simon is a 4th line player MAYBE on some NHL rosters that was able to score at a 30 point pace while on Crosby / Malkin wing. I doubt he’s able to score 10 point or make the Flames roster next year. Yeah he’s a terrible player offensively. Like I said previously his value is on the defensive side of the puck. Playing with elite center will improve a players stats .... common sense shouldn’t be this hard to understand

Kessel didn’t put up points w Sid and I didn’t say he sucks ? Sheary Simon Kunitz PD are all great examples of bottom 6 players that look like top liners with Sid

No, I fully understand your point. It's just extremely stupid and unreliable. You even said Guentzel is a 40 goal scorer because of Crosby. Well why hasn't anyone else scored that many with sid? Surely it shouldn't matter about offensive skill because they play with crosby. You always give credit to crosby and malkin, and try and diminish their wingers
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 10:27 p.m.
    Caps fan idk why
    No, I fully understand your point. It's just extremely stupid and unreliable. You even said Guentzel is a 40 goal scorer because of Crosby. Well why hasn't anyone else scored that many with sid? Surely it shouldn't matter about offensive skill because they play with crosby. You always give credit to crosby and malkin, and try and diminish their wingers

Guentzel has a a high hockey IQ. HE’S also put up amazing numbers wMalkin. “Diminish their wingers” I never said Guentzel isnt good. You are just making up moronic opinions in your head. Lmfao. Simon is a plug. Sheary is a plug. Both had great numbers bc of Sid and Malkin. Use your brain this is common sense lol can’t be this thick. Rust isn’t a ppg winger but add him to Malkin line what do you get? Have a good day lmfao
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 10:36 p.m.
    Banned
    Guentzel has a a high hockey IQ. HE’S also put up amazing numbers wMalkin. “Diminish their wingers” I never said Guentzel isnt good. You are just making up moronic opinions in your head. Lmfao. Simon is a plug. Sheary is a plug. Both had great numbers bc of Sid and Malkin. Use your brain this is common sense lol can’t be this thick. Rust isn’t a ppg winger but add him to Malkin line what do you get? Have a good day lmfao

Did I say you said Guentzel wasn't good? No. I said you said hes only a 40 goal scorer because of Crosby. Like I said, you diminish their wingers. Simon is awful. And look what happened in Buffalo with Sheary. He had his 2nd highest point season in Buffalo. Did crosby and malkin help him in Buffalo too? And you brought up Kunitz. Did they help him score 20+ when he played in Anaheim? And you do realize rust played with malkin a lot last year too, and wasn't a ppg player? Its stupid you rule out the fact he just had an outlier of a year. Im not saying crosby and malkin dont boost stats, but people like you constantly pick and choose when to use that logic. Again, its stupid and unreliable. You can use that logic with so many players. One being Tom Wilson
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 11:01 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: PGHBOB69
    And he’s coming into a locker room with Sid and Geno. That’s a big deal. Even more so to a younger player. Most players change when they come here. And that probably has a lot to do with it. He’s not in a locker full of kids like in Toronto.

I don't think that really matters so much. Look at McCann he's been here going on 2 full seasons now. But the inconsistency is there. But he's still a relatively young player at 24.
    But getting him to play the same way he did in the first half of the year, in the last half of the year, is harder than it sounds. Most young players go through that, it usually takes feeling comfortable in your role and position in the league to work past that. You know you belong there, stick to your basics and build from there when things are clicking.
    I think a lot of younger players are on edge, trying to show they need to stay there and that leads to issues. It's usually why really high picks have less issues with it. Because they know they are "safe", where the players who are middle of the pack are hanging on. But if they belong they figure it out aka Rusty or Hornqvist or whoever.
    Things slow down when you aren't worried about your job.
    DartGuy86 liked this.
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 11:08 p.m.
    Banned
    Crosby generally gels will with high IQ grit players. Kap is neither of those. They should have targeted Domi IMO

They can't afford Domi. He signed 5.3 million, they didn't have cap for that.

To be fair to Simon, he's not a terrible player. He just has a god awful shot.
    I mean he understands the game. He knew where to be on the ice, he knew how to be strong on the puck, hell he knew how to play defense.
    He just can't shoot for ****.
    If he ever fixed his shot, he'd be a really decent player. But he can't hit the broad side of a barn with his shot so he could never capitalize on the wide open nets he would put himself in position to have.

Which is kind of my worry with Kap, he's another guy with a shot that ain't worth ****.
    900mph down the ice to slam the puck into the back wall. It's his go to move.
    If that continues, don't expect 25 goals or whatever. But that's why I'm kind of glad they most likely want him to be the glue.
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 11:15 p.m.
    Caps fan idk why
    Quoting: pharrow
    They can't afford Domi. He signed 5.3 million, they didn't have cap for that.

To be fair to Simon, he's not a terrible player. He just has a god awful shot.
    I mean he understands the game. He knew where to be on the ice, he knew how to be strong on the puck, hell he knew how to play defense.
    He just can't shoot for ****.
    If he ever fixed his shot, he'd be a really decent player. But he can't hit the broad side of a barn with his shot so he could never capitalize on the wide open nets he would put himself in position to have.

Which is kind of my worry with Kap, he's another guy with a shot that ain't worth ****.
    900mph down the ice to slam the puck into the back wall. It's his go to move.
    If that continues, don't expect 25 goals or whatever. But that's why I'm kind of glad they most likely want him to be the glue.

In my defense I did say he had defensive upside.
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 11:24 p.m.
    Caps fan idk why
    Did I say you said Guentzel wasn't good? No. I said you said hes only a 40 goal scorer because of Crosby. Like I said, you diminish their wingers. Simon is awful. And look what happened in Buffalo with Sheary. He had his 2nd highest point season in Buffalo. Did crosby and malkin help him in Buffalo too? And you brought up Kunitz. Did they help him score 20+ when he played in Anaheim? And you do realize rust played with malkin a lot last year too, and wasn't a ppg player? Its stupid you rule out the fact he just had an outlier of a year. Im not saying crosby and malkin dont boost stats, but people like you constantly pick and choose when to use that logic. Again, its stupid and unreliable. You can use that logic with so many players. One being Tom Wilson

Quote me where I said this please? You mean a 1st round pick that had amazing juniors stats that got pinned on the 4th line bc the capitals refused to let him play a single game in the the AHL to develop him? Yeah that sounds like what happened with Simon. Lmfao rust is a solid 2 way center but when he was placed on the line w Malkin and rust he scored at an elite level. Makes a a massive difference. Saying players score more playing w Crosby / Malkin isn’t dump or unreliable it’s factual 9/10. Look at Kas playing w Mcdavid. Or look at RNH. Point totals when he plays wing w elite talent compared to when he had to center his own line. It’s not just Pittsburgh it happens everywhere. Look at Marners totals w Tavares and without.
    Nov. 26, 2020 at 11:38 p.m.
    Banned
    Quote me where I said this please? You mean a 1st round pick that had amazing juniors stats that got pinned on the 4th line bc the capitals refused to let him play a single game in the the AHL to develop him? Yeah that sounds like what happened with Simon. Lmfao rust is a solid 2 way center but when he was placed on the line w Malkin and rust he scored at an elite level. Makes a a massive difference. Saying players score more playing w Crosby / Malkin isn’t dump or unreliable it’s factual 9/10. Look at Kas playing w Mcdavid. Or look at RNH. Point totals when he plays wing w elite talent compared to when he had to center his own line. It’s not just Pittsburgh it happens everywhere. Look at Marners totals w Tavares and without.

You are having a real difficult time with this lmao. I literally said crosby and malkin help with winger stats, but you pick and choose when to use that.
    Nov. 27, 2020 at 12:28 a.m.
    Adomaitis
    Trading him, no. He’s probably due decline and Sullivan didn’t see him as a fit with 87 and 71. His offense was still good and he was producing but his transition play had already fallen off.

The return though a mistake, maybe. Matheson could be a good mobile second pair guy, but be a really expensive bottom pair guy. Guess we wait and see
    Nov. 27, 2020 at 2:33 a.m.
    Retired V2 V3 GM
    Yes I was a huge Horny fan! I felt he was still good enough to play a top line role over the past 2 seasons, but the coaching staff wasn’t willing to take that risk which led to his departure. He will go down as one of the most important players in the team’s history!

I totally agree, he will go down as a historic guy! I still remember the exact day that we got him in the James Neal trade. I was so mad we lost Neal... I don't feel that way anymore lol
    Nov. 27, 2020 at 2:34 a.m.
    Retired V2 V3 GM
    if the pens had a like ring of honour or something, he'd be in it... not quite to the level of jersey retirement but he was an important piece in those cups.

Yeah a nice momento would suit him good but no not a jersey retirement. Only for guys who have been a penguin for life. Crosby, Malkin... and idk thats probably it.
    Nov. 27, 2020 at 9:41 a.m.
    Hockey IQ

domi would have been nice but I don't think he can play RW, which we need.
    Nov. 27, 2020 at 9:41 a.m.
    Hockey IQ
    Yeah a nice momento would suit him good but no not a jersey retirement. Only for guys who have been a penguin for life. Crosby, Malkin... and idk thats probably it.

I'd go Letang too, honestly...
    Missouri liked this.
    Nov. 27, 2020 at 10:35 a.m.
    Retired V2 V3 GM
    I'd go Letang too, honestly...

Yeah well tbh if it was my choice I would choose Fleury over Letang. That guy is my all time fav and a hell of a big legend for us! Wish we could get him back.
    Nov. 27, 2020 at 10:37 a.m.
    Hockey IQ
    Yeah well tbh if it was my choice I would choose Fleury over Letang. That guy is my all time fav and a hell of a big legend for us! Wish we could get him back.

maybe if he comes back for a season or two to retire as a penguins after his current contract that'd be nice...we prob wouldn't be contending then anyways.... sure, I'd be in favour of retiring his #
    Missouri liked this.
    Nov. 27, 2020 at 11:14 a.m.
    Caps fan idk why
    You are having a real difficult time with this lmao. I literally said crosby and malkin help with winger stats, but you pick and choose when to use that.

not at all . you are just confused .... its not so much picking and choosing its more what players rely on others players skills .... Guentzel has the ability to create by himself. the others dont... PProbably the main reason penguins cant win a playoff game bc if you shutdown 87 71 they are basically unable to produce offense.
    Nov. 27, 2020 at 4:44 p.m.
    Banned
    I highly doubt he is on the top line with those three players....hornqvist has never been as effective as Kessel, FLA is still a dumpster fire, and with a condensed schedule it's more likely Horny gets hurt. I think matheson will far outperform hornqvist honestly...

I guess we'll see. Hornqvist's injury history is definitely concerning, but when he was healthy last season he scored at a 25 goal pace, so I think he still has one good year left.
    Nov. 27, 2020 at 4:52 p.m.
    Hockey IQ
    I guess we'll see. Hornqvist's injury history is definitely concerning, but when he was healthy last season he scored at a 25 goal pace, so I think he still has one good year left.

we'll see for sure...
    I hope matheson recovers and bounces back or else the pens will have a new worst contract...

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll