Forums/Armchair-GM

Palhals Ideal Leafs Team

Created by: AnalyticsGeek
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 28, 2020
Published: Nov. 28, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I want to showcase Palhal’s hypothetical hindsight Leafs team because I feel his opinions and transaction ideas are pretty sensible and similar to mine.

First, he believes the Leafs should’ve fired Babcock after their 1st round exit in 2019. The Leafs controlled possession for 4 of the first 5 games in the series but then Babcock’s poor game management costed them the series.

Secondly he feels that the Leafs front office was too lenient when they handed out new contracts to their 3 star RFAs.

For example, Nylander should’ve got 6.5 million times 4 years by using Pastrnak’s deal as a comparable (but worth slightly less).

Matthews should’ve got a bridge deal similar to Point (worth slightly more).

Marner should’ve got the same deal as Sebastian Aho (8.5 million times 5 years).

Had they saved money on these players, they would’ve gotten to keep Kadri and add a solid 4th defender like DeMelo.

The Tavares signing was fine cuz he was a free agent and took less than the maximum offer to come home.
Free Agent Signings
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Marner, Mitchell
4$8,500,000
Matthews, Auston
2$9,500,000
Nylander, William
2$6,500,000
Kadri, Nazem
2$4,500,000
Ryan, Derek
1$3,125,000
DeMelo, Dylan
4$3,000,000
Trades
TOR
    Dylan DeMelo
    OTT
      Kasperi Kapanen

*Trade Done During 2019 Offseason
      Retained Salary Transactions
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      23$81,500,000$80,619,125$0$0$880,875

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Kadri, Nazem
      $4,500,000$4,500,000
      Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
      $11,000,000$11,000,000
      C, LW
      NMC
      UFA - 5
      Marner, Mitchell
      $8,500,000$8,500,000
      $2,250,000$2,250,000
      RW, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      Matthews, Auston
      $9,500,000$9,500,000
      Nylander, William
      $6,500,000$6,500,000
      $1,645,000$1,645,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 2
      Ryan, Derek
      $3,125,000$3,125,000
      $925,000$925,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 1
      $900,000$900,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 1
      $700,000$700,000
      C, LW
      NMC
      UFA - 1
      $700,000$700,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $5,625,000$5,625,000
      LD
      NMC
      UFA - 4
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      LD/RD
      NMC
      UFA - 4
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      G
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      LD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      DeMelo, Dylan
      $3,000,000$3,000,000
      $1,650,000$1,650,000
      G
      UFA - 2
      $925,000$925,000
      LD
      UFA - 1
      $874,125$874,125
      LD/RD
      UFA - 1
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $700,000$700,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $11,640,250$11,640,250
      C
      UFA - 4
      $700,000$700,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 1
      $10,903,000$10,903,000
      RW
      UFA - 5
      $700,000$700,000
      LD
      UFA - 1
      $6,962,366$6,962,366
      RW
      UFA - 4
      $3,500,000$3,500,000
      LW, C, RW
      UFA - 3
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      RW, LW
      NTC
      UFA - 1
      $1,250,000$1,250,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 2
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      $1,000,000$1,000,000
      RD
      NTC
      UFA - 1

Special Teams

Power Play 1
      Nylander, W.
      Matthews, A.
      Marner, M.
      Power Play 2
      Kadri, N.
      Penalty Kill 1
      Ryan, D.
      Penalty Kill 2
      DeMelo, D.

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Nov. 28, 2020 at 8:24 p.m.
      Formerly Jamiepo
      Quoting: OldNYIfan
      Yeah, but with Kadri in the fold, @palhal would never have suggested adding Derek Ryan.

No he wouldn’t... and he would have traded nylander for a 2nd...
      Nov. 28, 2020 at 8:25 p.m.
      Smythe.over.Hart
      Quoting: Byrr
      If you want to be loose about 'candidate' meaning, he still has only recieved any votes at all once in the past 4 years and less than 50% of seasons in the NHL in total. He doesn't measure up to the definition of 'perennial' in any shape or form.

Well I can see there’s no winning with you. Enjoy your moms basement.
      Nov. 28, 2020 at 8:27 p.m.
      Quoting: faulkmydzingel
      Well I can see there’s no winning with you. Enjoy your moms basement.

Theres no winning anywhere when your opinion is as bad and as lacking of factual evidence as this.
      Nov. 28, 2020 at 8:28 p.m.
      LongtimeLeafsufferer
      Will always be fine with the Tavares contract. Even if year 6 and 7 he puts him 25 points. He brings a compete level the leafs have been lacking in a star player for ages. Anyone contesting this... remember that the guy has always put up top numbers. And has been a perennial Hart trophy candidate. While playing with the likes of Okposo and Matt Moulson lol.

The Matthew’s contract is growing by on me. I thought he earned his keep in the play ins. However more term would have made it more reasonable. Even 6 years.

Marner contract is bad. Plain and simple. You don’t pay that much for a wing. I’m sorry but I’ll have this argument day and night. Wings and Centre’s are not comparable. If you think they are you have never played hockey. Marner contract would have been bad anything over 9 million. The fact it is just shy of 11 is embarrassing. I love the guy. But he’s not worth that much.

Nylander contract. Should have made him sit out the year. Doing that would have made him sign for 6 mil. And likely made both Matthew’s and Marner sign for less.

Just to comment on you last sentence and Nylander. Leafs were first place and on 120 point pace at the end of November when he signed. I would not have given into his contracts demand...and maybe he sits out the year from the NHL if doesn't sign with the Leafs or an offer sheet. His precedent signing, made in easier for Matthews and Marner to "bully" the Leafs in their negotiations.
      While Dubas does good blamed as GM and the contracts, the Leafs have very expensive management team. Shanahan and Leaf and MLSE have access to " comparables". Don't know why they lost those three contract negotiations to tune of about 4.5m per year.
      Nov. 28, 2020 at 8:33 p.m.
      Smythe.over.Hart
      Quoting: palhal
      Just to comment on you last sentence and Nylander. Leafs were first place and on 120 point pace at the end of November when he signed. I would not have given into his contracts demand...and maybe he sits out the year from the NHL if doesn't sign with the Leafs or an offer sheet. His precedent signing, made in easier for Matthews and Marner to "bully" the Leafs in their negotiations.
      While Dubas does good blamed as GM and the contracts, the Leafs have very expensive management team. Shanahan and Leaf and MLSE have access to " comparables". Don't know why they lost those three contract negotiations to tune of about 4.5m per year.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on this. It seemed to throw the whole locker room for a loop when the contract was signed. Matthew’s may have been 10 mil/year if not signed.
      Nov. 28, 2020 at 8:35 p.m.
      Banned
      Quoting: DartGuy86
      Kerfoot>Ryan, so the only ‘improvement’ is having Kadri on the wing. We don’t need him.

I know hindsight isn't realistic...but instead of Campbell, the Leafs continued to keep Mcillerney. Then they would have Moore and a third pick instead of the trade they made with LA last winter.
      So left wing Moore, Johnson, Hyman, maybe Tischanov (not lost to waivers to Red Wings). , Kadri at centre (no Ryan). Tavares, Matthews Spezza and Thornton. Right wing, Marner, Nylander, now cap for Kapanen, plus Mikheyvev. Still not sure if 5m Brodie is great value . Would DeMelo at 3.25m. and the unsigned Hamonic at 2 years at 3.5m, leave cap for a future upgrade.

Quoting: DartGuy86
      Kerfoot>Ryan, so the only ‘improvement’ is having Kadri on the wing. We don’t need him.

I know hindsight isn't realistic...but instead of Campbell, the Leafs continued to keep Mcillerney. Then they would have Moore and a third pick instead of the trade they made with LA last winter.
      So left wing Moore, Johnson, Hyman, maybe Tischanov (not lost to waivers to Red Wings). , Kadri at centre (no Ryan). Tavares, Matthews Spezza and Thornton. Right wing, Marner, Nylander, now cap for Kapanen, plus Mikheyvev. Still not sure if 5m Brodie is great value . Would DeMelo at 3.25m. and the unsigned Hamonic at 2 years at 3.5m, leave cap for a future upgrade.

Matthews and other RFAs....the Leafs were control after all they were RFAs. Leafs had no obligation to pay "hometown premium" Let's imagine as rumour floating was that Arizona has been in a offer sheet of 12m X 7. Leafs don't match, have 11.6m in cap and four first rounders.

I put Kadri at LW cuz I remember he played there during the 2nd half of 2017/18 (Marner was C & Marleau was RW) and they were prolific together. He would do wonders on a line with JT. I feel the 3C role needs someone less skilled & more defensive.

I don’t think Hamonic is that good, he’s mostly an offensive defenceman who gets caved in a lot. Brodie has played a top pair role alongside Giordano & did very well.
      Nov. 28, 2020 at 8:45 p.m.
      Banned
      Will always be fine with the Tavares contract. Even if year 6 and 7 he puts him 25 points. He brings a compete level the leafs have been lacking in a star player for ages. Anyone contesting this... remember that the guy has always put up top numbers. And has been a perennial Hart trophy candidate. While playing with the likes of Okposo and Matt Moulson lol.

The Matthew’s contract is growing by on me. I thought he earned his keep in the play ins. However more term would have made it more reasonable. Even 6 years.

Marner contract is bad. Plain and simple. You don’t pay that much for a wing. I’m sorry but I’ll have this argument day and night. Wings and Centre’s are not comparable. If you think they are you have never played hockey. Marner contract would have been bad anything over 9 million. The fact it is just shy of 11 is embarrassing. I love the guy. But he’s not worth that much.

Nylander contract. Should have made him sit out the year. Doing that would have made him sign for 6 mil. And likely made both Matthew’s and Marner sign for less.

Well said. All reasonable points.
      Nov. 29, 2020 at 10:51 a.m.
      In Pridham we trust
      Quoting: MitchMarnerElite
      The Tavares signing was good. The issue was, the team didn’t make any moves to accommodate his signing. For example, they could’ve traded Kadri for Ellis or Nylander for Theodore & their defence would be much improved.

Those teams have to actually want to make those moves though. What indication was ever given that Ryan Ellis can/could be acquired out of Nashville?

Leafs also in the same season they signed JT, traded for Muzzin, so it looks like they improved their D. Right?
      Nov. 29, 2020 at 10:53 a.m.
      In Pridham we trust
      Quoting: LeafsfanMathews
      The Maple Leafs' forward core was pretty well set for now and the future. They would certainly be taking a hit losing JVR, Bozak, and Komarov, but they still had guys in the pipeline who could have fit in fill in fairly well (Kapanen, Johnsson). Their real issue was with their defence. The team gave up an average of 34 shots per game that season (4th highest in the NHL). It would be smarter to pursue some defence-men in free agency or by trade than to sign Tavares. Players like Calvin De Haan and Ian Cole would be smarter choices and would not have anywhere near the same price tag as Tavares. Signing him forced the Leafs into a win now mode instead of continuing to build through the draft. They should have signed Matthews and Marner before they even consider signing JT.

De Haan and Cole will be out of the league within 2 years. Cole is a 3rd pair guy, and De Haan who's never been able to stay healthy, is severely overpaid for what he offers now.

But, yeah, that's a much better option than signing an elite C.
      Nov. 29, 2020 at 11:50 a.m.
      Banned
      Quoting: Barilko14
      Those teams have to actually want to make those moves though. What indication was ever given that Ryan Ellis can/could be acquired out of Nashville?

Leafs also in the same season they signed JT, traded for Muzzin, so it looks like they improved their D. Right?

Yeah the Muzzin acquisition upgraded their D a lot since he actually made Zaitsev look serviceable, but it still wasn’t a contender level blueline. Teams like Nashville and Minnesota were looking for a 1st line center (I.e Kadri) & had an abundance of RD. So they could’ve been good trade partners.
      Nov. 29, 2020 at 11:55 a.m.
      In Pridham we trust
      Yeah the Muzzin acquisition upgraded their D a lot since he actually made Zaitsev look serviceable, but it still wasn’t a contender level blueline. Teams like Nashville and Minnesota were looking for a 1st line center (I.e Kadri) & had an abundance of RD. So they could’ve been good trade partners.

Who's playing 2RD for Nashville if they had moved Ellis around 2018?
      Nov. 29, 2020 at 12:38 p.m.
      Ovchinnikov 137
      De Haan and Cole will be out of the league within 2 years. Cole is a 3rd pair guy, and De Haan who's never been able to stay healthy, is severely overpaid for what he offers now.

But, yeah, that's a much better option than signing an elite C.

Well by this logic there’s a good chance that in two years we may not like JT’s contract as age begins to erode his skills. And in 2018 both Cole and De Haan would have been fine short term fixes for the backend. More offence was not needed. Two years in are still struggling to find an identity. That 11 mil could have been better spent on this team. So ya, let’s enjoy the rest of the elite C for 5 more years. I’d take a core of a Matthews, Marner, Nylander any day. Something tells me tho your in favour of trading Nylander or Marner.
      Nov. 29, 2020 at 12:41 p.m.
      sen krak fan
      The Tavares signing was good. The issue was, the team didn’t make any moves to accommodate his signing. For example, they could’ve traded Kadri for Ellis or Nylander for Theodore & their defence would be much improved.

Fine.Whatever.
      Nov. 29, 2020 at 5:07 p.m.
      In Pridham we trust
      Well by this logic there’s a good chance that in two years we may not like JT’s contract as age begins to erode his skills. And in 2018 both Cole and De Haan would have been fine short term fixes for the backend. More offence was not needed. Two years in are still struggling to find an identity. That 11 mil could have been better spent on this team. So ya, let’s enjoy the rest of the elite C for 5 more years. I’d take a core of a Matthews, Marner, Nylander any day. Something tells me tho your in favour of trading Nylander or Marner.

Who typically ages better? 3rd pair dmen or elite players?

I've been fine with 90% of Dubas' moves so far. And I like the idea of keeping the big 4.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Nylander and Marner were both able to raise their games/effort levels while paired with Tavares. Everyone was in love with Marner's hustle in 18/19 (not so much in 19/20).

I also believe that what JT91 brings on and off the ice has had a solid influence on all 3 youngsters.
      Nov. 29, 2020 at 5:26 p.m.
      Ovchinnikov 137
      Who typically ages better? 3rd pair dmen or elite players?

I've been fine with 90% of Dubas' moves so far. And I like the idea of keeping the big 4.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Nylander and Marner were both able to raise their games/effort levels while paired with Tavares. Everyone was in love with Marner's hustle in 18/19 (not so much in 19/20).

I also believe that what JT91 brings on and off the ice has had a solid influence on all 3 youngsters.

Lol, dude I’m not debating you on if Tavares is superior over Cole/De Haan, of course he is. All am I saying is the signing of John Tavares in 2018 was completely unnecessary. The priority would be to sign both Matthews and Marner to long term deals before they even consider signing another star. Having him has rushed the rebuild and handcuffed there ability to add to this team. I am at a 60-40 split with Dubas. I love the additions he was able to make this off-season. But IMO I was super optimistic about the direction the Leafs could take after a hard fought series against Washington. After two years with Tavares, I can say this team is no better with him. And the record reflects that.
      Nov. 29, 2020 at 7:47 p.m.
      Please win the cup
      I don't mind if this was an alternate reality, though I think Matthews deserves 10+ mil
      Nov. 29, 2020 at 9:07 p.m.
      Marner getting Aho money is actually an idea I championed for 2 months in several threads during that cintract dispute.

Go back and have a look at my thread. Pretty sure the advanced stats will still support my arguments today.
      Nov. 29, 2020 at 9:55 p.m.
      In Pridham we trust
      Lol, dude I’m not debating you on if Tavares is superior over Cole/De Haan, of course he is. All am I saying is the signing of John Tavares in 2018 was completely unnecessary. The priority would be to sign both Matthews and Marner to long term deals before they even consider signing another star. Having him has rushed the rebuild and handcuffed there ability to add to this team. I am at a 60-40 split with Dubas. I love the additions he was able to make this off-season. But IMO I was super optimistic about the direction the Leafs could take after a hard fought series against Washington. After two years with Tavares, I can say this team is no better with him. And the record reflects that.

Signing vet C = going forward it!!!

Signing vet dmen = patient route????

I understand??
      Nov. 29, 2020 at 9:57 p.m.
      Banned
      Quoting: swinny
      Marner getting Aho money is actually an idea I championed for 2 months in several threads during that cintract dispute.

Go back and have a look at my thread. Pretty sure the advanced stats will still support my arguments today.

At the time of the contract negotiation, Aho had better advanced analytics than Marner and similar production. So yes Marner should’ve at most got the same amount as him.
      Nov. 30, 2020 at 3:50 p.m.
      Too much wishful thinking here
      Dec. 1, 2020 at 9:38 p.m.
      At the time of the contract negotiation, Aho had better advanced analytics than Marner and similar production. So yes Marner should’ve at most got the same amount as him.

Your telling me something I already know

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll