Forums/Armchair-GM

Pens trade Edmonton

Created by: PGHBOB69
Team: 2020-21 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 1, 2020
Published: Dec. 1, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Pens make room for Poulin on his strong side; LW. And get Puljujvari back and a prospect, Lavoie, back.

Edmonton gets a 2nd line LW to play with McCann/Draisaitl/Yamamota. McCaan is still just 24 year old, with back to back 35 point seasons. And on a good contract and still a RFA after next year. Edmonton can sign him long -term. Edmonton gets a LW to replace Ennis on the 2nd line. And Edmonton gets a 2nd round pick. And they get rid of Puljujarvi who asked for a trade out last year. And IMO, they need LW help and are over-loaded at RW.

Pens retain 900K on McCann contract for 2 more years to help Edmonton and their cap crunch. They get McCann for 2M per year.

Pens can sign Haula now with alittle more cap space too. Go up to 3.25M if necessary.

Edmonton now looks like:
RNH/McDavid/Kassian
McCann/Draisaitl/Yamamota
Ennis/Turris/Archibald
J.Neal/J.Khaira/A.Chiasson

D.Kahun as depth
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,800,000
Trades
EDM
  1. McCann, Jared ($900,000 retained)
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (PIT)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$78,686,009$0$850,000$2,813,991
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
C, LW
RFA - 4
$2,800,000$2,800,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$1,175,000$1,175,000
RW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
UFA - 3
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
UFA - 6
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,150,000$1,150,000
LD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 1, 2020 at 6:47 a.m.
I wouldn’t give up either of them for McCann really not even close....
Jeuck75 and KeepUps15 liked this.
Dec. 1, 2020 at 7:34 a.m.
Jeuck75
Big no from EDM!!
KeepUps15, GrinReaper and Timmah007 liked this.
Dec. 1, 2020 at 8:26 a.m.
a 3c and a second is not worth that much. 2 prospects with good potential
Timmah007 liked this.
Dec. 1, 2020 at 11:01 a.m.
Oilers counter with Khaira and Chaisson for Guentzel
arab05, GrinReaper and Timmah007 liked this.
Dec. 1, 2020 at 2:00 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: keep_ups12

it's the "good Potential" thing in relation to Puljujärvi that makes us all laugh
PGHBOB69 liked this.
Dec. 1, 2020 at 4:24 p.m.
Edited Dec. 1, 2020 at 4:31 p.m.
Quoting: Timmah007
I wouldn’t give up either of them for McCann really not even close....

Quoting: Jeuck75
Big no from EDM!!

Quoting: Copenhagen
Oilers counter with Khaira and Chaisson for Guentzel

You guys have no clue who McCann is. Or ever watched him play. I understand, being a west coast team though. Not many Pens fans know about about West coast teams and players!!!

McCann is only 24, back to back 35 point season, good 2 way player, great shot, 20 goal scorer. Much more established than Puljujarvi. Played in the NHL since he was 19. Former 1st round pick. And not a 3C, yes’s he played there last year cause that’s where the pens were weak. But this year, he’s playing on the LW were he belongs. Great shot, can put the puck in the net. From the time he was 19-23 he’s been jumped around from 3C to top 6 wing, to bottom 6 wing. Now the pens GM and coach, said he’s staying on the LW all year. And gonna do what he does best. And score!! Players need that consistency and routine. Most athletes do.

If Puljujarvi has a bad year this year, his value goes way down. And Lavoie is just another “B”, “B+” prospect. He could bust the same way as Benson is.
Dec. 1, 2020 at 4:52 p.m.
Quoting: PGHBOB69
You guys have no clue who McCann is. Or ever watched him play. I understand, being a west coast team though. Not many Pens fans know about about West coast teams and players!!!

McCann is only 24, back to back 35 point season, good 2 way player, great shot, 20 goal scorer. Much more established than Puljujarvi. Played in the NHL since he was 19. Former 1st round pick. And not a 3C, yes’s he played there last year cause that’s where the pens were weak. But this year, he’s playing on the LW were he belongs. Great shot, can put the puck in the net. From the time he was 19-23 he’s been jumped around from 3C to top 6 wing, to bottom 6 wing. Now the pens GM and coach, said he’s staying on the LW all year. And gonna do what he does best. And score!! Players need that consistency and routine. Most athletes do.

If Puljujarvi has a bad year this year, his value goes way down. And Lavoie is just another “B”, “B+” prospect. He could bust the same way as Benson is.

Since when did benson bust? A slight down year in his second ahl season but that’s a result of his team running into injury issues. Jp is better than McCann that’s not even debatable not even close
Dec. 1, 2020 at 5:01 p.m.
Edited Dec. 1, 2020 at 5:18 p.m.
Since when did benson bust? A slight down year in his second ahl season but that’s a result of his team running into injury issues. Jp is better than McCann that’s not even debatable not even close

We’ll see this year. Puljujarvi hasn’t proven anything.
Dec. 1, 2020 at 5:04 p.m.
We’ll see this year. Puljujarvi hasn’t proven anything.

Looking forward to it.
PGHBOB69 liked this.
Dec. 1, 2020 at 5:15 p.m.
Looking forward to it.

I’m a fan man!! That’s why I would want the Pens to trade for him!! But I’m a fan of McCann too. And I know the problem people have with him. They look at his stats and think 2018 is two separate seasons!! It’s not, it’s split b/ween 2 teams, u have to add them together for his 2018 season. And McCann was picked 20th overall and played in the NHL at 19 years old. Made the roster and never looked back!! I bet every NHL team wishes the 20th overall pick wins a roster spot in the NHL at 19 years old!!

And A slight down year?? From Benson!! Ok, I guess!! And in your 2nd AHL season that isn’t good. That’s when u are supposed to compete for a roster spot
Or atleast show u are almost ready. This will be his 3rd. And with the COvid sh*it and this might being a lost season fro him too. It doesn’t look good!! Already past up by better options. Looks like he’s a career AHL player or a depth 13-14 forward at best, IMO. Good luck though man!! Stay positive!! I like it!!
Dec. 1, 2020 at 5:28 p.m.
I’m a fan man!! That’s why I would want the Pens to trade for him!! But I’m a fan of McCann too. And I know the problem people have with him. They look at his stats and think 2018 is two separate seasons!! It’s not, it’s split b/ween 2 teams, u have to add them together for his 2018 season. And McCann was picked 20th overall and played in the NHL at 19 years old. Made the roster and never looked back!! I bet every NHL team wishes the 20th overall pick wins a roster spot in the NHL at 19 years old!!

And A slight down year?? From Benson!! Ok, I guess!! And in your 2nd AHL season that isn’t good. That’s when u are supposed to compete for a roster spot
Or atleast show u are almost ready. This will be his 3rd. And with the COvid sh*it and this might being a lost season fro him too. It doesn’t look good!! Already past up by better options. Looks like he’s a career AHL player or a depth 13-14 forward at best, IMO. Good luck though man!! Stay positive!! I like it!!

I have no doubt in my mind benson would be penciled in for this years roster if any other gm was in charge even with Holland forcing him to overcome depth he had a reasonable chance up until COVID changed the landscape financially around the league allowing him to cash in on a couple extremely cheap good signings. Wouldn’t jump to calling benson a bust or limiting his ceiling to an extra forward yet he’s very talented and so far has overcame his biggest hurdle and he’s managed to stay healthy. His last year in the ahl he suffered a bit from his team getting nailed with injury bug and had very little to work with but still had a decent year I personally never viewed it as a problem with his development has been fairly on track with what hoped for.
PGHBOB69 liked this.
Dec. 1, 2020 at 5:36 p.m.
I have no doubt in my mind benson would be penciled in for this years roster if any other gm was in charge even with Holland forcing him to overcome depth he had a reasonable chance up until COVID changed the landscape financially around the league allowing him to cash in on a couple extremely cheap good signings. Wouldn’t jump to calling benson a bust or limiting his ceiling to an extra forward yet he’s very talented and so far has overcame his biggest hurdle and he’s managed to stay healthy. His last year in the ahl he suffered a bit from his team getting nailed with injury bug and had very little to work with but still had a decent year I personally never viewed it as a problem with his development has been fairly on track with what hoped for.

Like I said, good luck man!! I like the positivity!! And for real, I’m not being a smart a*s
Timmah007 liked this.
Dec. 1, 2020 at 5:41 p.m.
Like I said, good luck man!! I like the positivity!! And for real, I’m not being a smart a*s

And I know you can’t tell everything from a stat line. You have to watch McCann play to see how good he is. But doesn’t his stat line look better when that 2018 season isn’t separate like that. When u add it together like it’s supposed to be. Most people just glance over that and it looks bad. And knowing that he is only 24, and the 1st season he was 19 years old and wasn’t even Top 15 pick. And won a roster spot at 19 years old!! And never looked back or gave it back.
Dec. 1, 2020 at 8:23 p.m.

You should definitely keep him than.
PGHBOB69 liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 9:46 a.m.
Quoting: pharrow
it's the "good Potential" thing in relation to Puljujärvi that makes us all laugh

You laugh at everything include yourself bot. You probably think Puljujarvi is some future 4th liner, so your opinion is invalid

I know exactly who McCann is. Hes a defensive 3c that isn't that good at producing offense. He takes on low role but still exceeds there. Your valuing McCann a little to high but the problem is your way undervaluing Lavoie. Puljujarvi's value is pretty much a mystery but Lavoie is a very good prospect. Has second line potential
Dec. 2, 2020 at 9:54 a.m.
Edited Dec. 2, 2020 at 9:59 a.m.
You laugh at everything include yourself bot. You probably think Puljujarvi is some future 4th liner, so your opinion is

I know exactly who McCann is. Hes a defensive 3c that isn't that good at producing offense. He takes on low role but still exceeds there. Your valuing McCann a little to high but the problem is your way undervaluing Lavoie. Puljujarvi's value is pretty much a mystery but Lavoie is a very good prospect. Has second line potential

You laugh at everything include yourself bot. You probably think Puljujarvi is some future 4th liner, so your opinion is invalid

You don’t watch McCann then. He is not a 3c. That’s where he played last year because the Pens were weak there. Yes he can play 3c too because he is versatile and a good playmaker. And yes, a good two-way player. But he’s a better natural scorer!! He has a great shot!!

You might want to look closer at McCann stat line buddy!! 2018 isn’t 2 separate years. It’s just one year, split between two teams. Yes, it’s 2 stat lines, but they need added together. Cause it’s just one year, split b/ween two teams. That year, he had 19 goals and 35 points. U can’t tell everything u need to know from looking at a stat line buddy!! And next time, u might want to look closer!! Lol. Again, he’s played in the NHL since he was 19. Won a roster spot when he was 19 and never looked back!! How old is Lavoie now?? Lol..Lavoie is just another “B”, “B+” prospect at best!! But he’s a top 6 and McCann isn’t?? Lol. Lavoie will probably bust just like Benson. It’s gonna be another lost year in the AHL probably and Lavoie wont win a roster spot. Gonna be tough. Better options are gonna be passing him up soon just like Benson
Dec. 2, 2020 at 10:54 a.m.
Banned

Like 90% of people on this site view him as a bust....and then there is you.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 11:03 a.m.
Edited Dec. 2, 2020 at 11:18 a.m.
Like 90% of people on this site view him as a bust....and then there is you.

Lol. I’m a fan of Puljujarvi too!! I just think the Pens need to get 1st round talent where ever they can get it from. Just like the O’Connor and Maniscalco signings. I like the college FA sIgning route too, signing talent!! I would have liked if the Pens would have traded for Liars Andersson too. I would still like for the to trade for Ho-Sung. I have faith, just like I know that Kappy will change in Pgh. Once younger players walk into a locker room with Sid and Geno, and Letang. And an adult locker room like we have Iin Pittsburgh. Not a bunch or kids and their peers. Players change, they are on their best behavior, and work hard to prove they belong, And younger players want to stick around and stay on Sid and Geno’s line for as long as they can. Younger players all respect Crosby and Malkin. Whether your Canadian, or from the US or from Russia or Europe. We have a player that they grew up watching and trying to be like. We’ll see the change this year with Kappy.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 11:12 a.m.
Pens offer a 6th for Puljujarvi and a 6th

It's not trolling, it is my offer for Yakupov v2.0. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is trolling.
PGHBOB69 and pharrow liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 11:15 a.m.
Banned
Lol. I’m a fan of Puljujarvi!! I just think the Pens need to get 1st round talent where ever they can get it from. Just like the O’Connor and Maniscalco signings. I like the college FA sIgning route too, signing talent!! I would have liked if the Pens would have traded for Liars Andersson too. I would still like for the to trade for Ho-Sung. I have faith, just like Kappy will change in Pgh. Once younger players walk into a locker room with Sid and Geno, and Letang. And an adult locker room like we have Iin Pittsburgh. Not a bunch or kids and their peers. Players change, they are on their best behavior, and work hard to prove they belong, And younger players want to stick around and stay on Sid and Geno’s line for as long as they can. Younger players all respect Crosby and Malkin. Whether your Canadian, or from the US or from Russia or Europe. We have a player that they grew up watching and trying to be like. We’ll see the change this year with Kappy.

It's not where you are drafted it's what you do with it.
he's decided to skate east west with it, well good luck with that. There is a word for that in the NHL, bust.
PGHBOB69 liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 11:16 a.m.
Quoting: Yojimbo

It's not trolling, it is my offer for Yakupov v2.0. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is trolling.

I get it!! I can see why some people think he is a bust.

I just think the Pens need to get 1st round talent where ever they can get it from!! I like the college FA sIgning route too, signing talent!!

I would have liked if the Pens would have traded for Liars Andersson too. I would still like for the to trade for Ho-Sung. I have faith, just like I know that Kappy will change in Pgh. Once younger players walk into a locker room with Sid and Geno, and Letang. And an adult locker room like we have Iin Pittsburgh. Not a bunch or kids and their peers. Players change, they are on their best behavior, and work hard to prove they belong, And younger players want to stick around and stay on Sid and Geno’s line for as long as they can. Younger players all respect Crosby and Malkin. Whether your Canadian, or from the US or from Russia or Europe. We have a player that they grew up watching and trying to be like. We’ll see the change this year with Kappy.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 11:22 a.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Yojimbo

I'll chime in here because I see what you're referring to.

The problem (I guess?) is that the offer is so incredibly unrealistic. Holland refused to move Puljujarvi for a set price and you're so far south of what that ask is that it really does come off as trolling.

You're 1000% allowed to think the player is valueless, but if you aren't going to operate in the realm of reality there's no need to post about it, is there? At that point you're probably better off just declining the trade and justify it based on Puljujarvi being included and thinking the Penguins are giving up too much.

To me at least, that comes off as less hostile at the very least. "JP for nothing" really only serves to piss off those that think he has value.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 11:26 a.m.
It's not where you are drafted it's what you do with it.
he's decided to skate east west with it, well good luck with that. There is a word for that in the NHL, bust.

Yes, your draft position isn’t the end all be all. Of course not. But there is defiantly a difffermce b/ween 1st round talent, and 3rd-4th-5th, etc, round talent. Yes, they are young, so some of the less talented players at 19 can sneak up on you at 21-22-232-24 years old. But players outside of the 3rd-4th round usually are significantly less talented than the 1st 2. Or they have a deficiency like size, or injury and would have been picked in the 1st two rounds if they weren’t. But yes, you are right. 1st round picks are like 50-50. Second round 60-40. I don’t know the exact numbers, but the 1st round is crap shoot too.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 11:27 a.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
I'll chime in here because I see what you're referring to.

The problem (I guess?) is that the offer is so incredibly unrealistic. Holland refused to move Puljujarvi for a set price and you're so far south of what that ask is that it really does come off as trolling.

You're 1000% allowed to think the player is valueless, but if you aren't going to operate in the realm of reality there's no need to post about it, is there? At that point you're probably better off just declining the trade and justify it based on Puljujarvi being included and thinking the Penguins are giving up too much.

To me at least, that comes off as less hostile at the very least. "JP for nothing" really only serves to piss off those that think he has value.

Ya, I agree. He definitely still has value. I’m the OP. But if he has a bad year this year. That will probably significantly decrease and then the bust label will be thrown around.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 11:32 a.m.
Ban Price trades
Ya, I agree. He definitely still has value. I’m the OP. But if he has a bad year this year. That will probably significantly decrease and then the bust label will be thrown around.

As (unfortunately) an Oilers fan, this is my line of thought. I fully expected him to sign a one-year deal instead of a two year deal: if it doesn't work this season, there's a lot less incentive to believe it will next year.

However, this comes with a caveat:

His NHLe last season was in the mid-30s. Third line production. If he matches that, I won't consider him as a player a bust. If he can hang as a top-nine forward then he's clearly an NHL player. He absolutely won't live up to his draft status if that's the case, but that's on him and the organization. Anything above that mark pushing him into that "middle-six production" bracket is a win. Holland wins GM of the year if Puljujarvi plays as a top-line talent.

So in short, the threshold for what we consider as a "bust" might vary between users, but I think we all agree that this is his "show me" year.
PGHBOB69 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll