Forums/Armchair-GM

New power play setup

Created by: arafay
Team: 2020-21 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 24, 2020
Published: Dec. 1, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Add in another high end playmaker in stastny to the top power play and move Connor down to add some punch to the second. Both balances out the scoring and might help our biggest weapon on the power play in laine score more. I think this configuration has some real boom potential. Start your can also help the first unit carry the puck into the offensive zone which is something they had a lot of trouble. Finally adding stastny would give that unit a good face-off guy (which scheifele simply isn’t). Finally, the top power play needs someone to feed laine harder and faster passes than pionk.

The whole point of this new power play exercise was how can the jets maximize their the potential of their top weapons. Laine gets playmakers that better fit him while Connor gets to play on the half wall where he is so good.

The cap friendly power play configuration doesn’t do true justice to the 1-3-1 format so I’m going to put it here as well.
PP1:
Stastny (net front)
Laine (top of leftcircle) -Scheifele (slot) -Wheeler (right half wall)
Morrissey (point)

PP2:
Copp (net front)
Ehlers (left half wall) Roslovic (slot) Connor (right half wall)
Pionk (point)

As a side note, I also did the opening night roster. I’m putting it in for now that Samberg gets sent down after the AHL begins and niku plays next to pionk. Could easily also be that niku gets moved and Samberg makes it.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,150,000
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$77,420,358$0$0$4,079,642

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 6
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$4,995,000$4,995,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 5
$2,280,000$2,280,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,916,667$2,916,667
C
UFA - 1
$2,150,000$2,150,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$4,125,000$4,125,000
LW, RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
UFA - 8
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 4
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
LD
RFA - 4
$775,000$775,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,291,667$5,291,667
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 1, 2020 at 4:47 p.m.
I like the idea, I think they should test it out. Our second PP would be nasty and hopefully the 1st pp would change a bit. We need a big right shot dman for the 1st pp unit. Like a pulock, that’s the biggest thing we’re missing is the point shot threat. Buff was so good there.
arafay liked this.
Dec. 1, 2020 at 9:12 p.m.
Quoting: tsyls
I like the idea, I think they should test it out. Our second PP would be nasty and hopefully the 1st pp would change a bit. We need a big right shot dman for the 1st pp unit. Like a pulock, that’s the biggest thing we’re missing is the point shot threat. Buff was so good there.

I wouldn’t say we need a big shot as much as someone who can give laine the hard on point passes he needs. But yes, a big shot would help too
tsyls liked this.
Dec. 1, 2020 at 11:44 p.m.
Quoting: arafay
I wouldn’t say we need a big shot as much as someone who can give laine the hard on point passes he needs. But yes, a big shot would help too

Is Morrissey any better at that than pionk? I’m not sure. Either way I think a RD that can play PP1 is needed.
arafay liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 12:57 a.m.
Quoting: tsyls
Is Morrissey any better at that than pionk? I’m not sure. Either way I think a RD that can play PP1 is needed.

Definitely a rd would be better but Morrissey has a really hard and fast shot. If he can keep it low, I think he could be a very good pp1 qb. He also passes hard (he learnt the nhl game playing alongside buff after all). Seems like a better fit for laine to me than pionk
tsyls liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 1:10 a.m.
Cold spaghetti
I personally believe Ehlers should be on the 1st PP unit. Our power play struggled even to get set up last year, and then struggled to move the puck with purpose and often was stationary. I would love to see Ehlers run the halfwall but I know POMO will never do that. However Ehlers was easily the best on our team in both of those aspects last year. Something like:
Ehlers (PP quarterback)- Scheifele (bumper guy)- Wheeler (Net driver/down low presence/quarterback 2)
Laine(No change, but hopefully more movement from him)-Morrissey (I feel like JMO's skating ability and left hand shot could open more seams, especially to Patty)
I believe that it is very important to take some of the pressure off of Wheeler on the power play so he can focus more on being a factor at 5V5 as he ages.

Which would leave the second unit to be
Connor(down low option)-Statsny(bumper guy)-Rosy ( puck distributor, could be some good exchanges in position between him and Statsny)
Heinola(super efficient passer)-Pionk(solid at getting pucks through)
arafay and masterjuddi liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 3:40 a.m.
Quoting: bunzy1034
I personally believe Ehlers should be on the 1st PP unit. Our power play struggled even to get set up last year, and then struggled to move the puck with purpose and often was stationary. I would love to see Ehlers run the halfwall but I know POMO will never do that. However Ehlers was easily the best on our team in both of those aspects last year. Something like:
Ehlers (PP quarterback)- Scheifele (bumper guy)- Wheeler (Net driver/down low presence/quarterback 2)
Laine(No change, but hopefully more movement from him)-Morrissey (I feel like JMO's skating ability and left hand shot could open more seams, especially to Patty)
I believe that it is very important to take some of the pressure off of Wheeler on the power play so he can focus more on being a factor at 5V5 as he ages.

Which would leave the second unit to be
Connor(down low option)-Statsny(bumper guy)-Rosy ( puck distributor, could be some good exchanges in position between him and Statsny)
Heinola(super efficient passer)-Pionk(solid at getting pucks through)

I like that a lot too. Though personally I prefer stastny on the top unit over ehlers mainly because I like the configuration as is. I think Connor could run his own power play with ehlers so they get the 2nd unit with pionk who could create plenty of rebounds. As for the first unit, stastny should help bring the puck into the zone just like ehlers would and he is also a very good faceoff man. Additionally, stastny brings loads of expertise to the bet front presence role and is just another playmaker for the likes of scheifele and Laine. As for Morrissey, I think that if he can keep his shot low, he is the best option we have for pp1 qb. That said, if heinola and niku make it, maybe one of them break out?

I hesitated to put 2 defensemen on the PP2 because of face-offs so I only have JoMo and pionk as qb’s for both units

However, with new assistant coach Dave Lowry handling special teams, expect some sort of change imo and some steps forward from certain players (he is very good at getting the nets out of young players). Really wish they would fire huddy already. I don’t have many problems with Maurice since as I’ve said before, though is system is dated, it works if taught well. Well executing the system is the freaking assistants job and huddy hasn’t been able to do it. Time for a change there.
bunzy1034 liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 10:00 a.m.
I like Ehlers on the first PP. THey struggle at times to enter the zone and he does it just as good as anyone in the league.
Gotta keep Pionk on the RSD, Morrisey is good but it's easier and quicker for a RS to make that pass. Not to mention Pionk was second among Dmen for PPP last season.
I would like to see them mix it all up and give PP2 more of a shot, at least when PP1 is struggling

When Stastny was with the jets prior, he played along the board on the right side and was really good at digging out and moving pucks.
bunzy1034 and arafay liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll