SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Which cities are most likely to get an NHL team?

Dec. 2, 2020 at 2:13 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Quoting: jpsnow13
Taxes are usefull to pay for things. Like a big arena for exemple...

LMAO

U can thank Charest for that XD.

LPQ/LPC and taxes are best friends
Dec. 2, 2020 at 2:14 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Just move the Senators in Quebec City and rename them the Patriotes.

Problem solved!
oilersguy liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 2:17 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Quoting: mondo
Do you think an NHL team would drive more interest? I don't think any minor team could support a 18000 seater arena honestly; but an NHL team would attract casual interest.

Nah. I think more and more people are waking up to the fact that we are nowhere near rich enough to have an NHL team. I think 10 years ago maybe around 65-70% of people here would have supported a Nordiques comeback. I think it is closer to 52-48/50-50 as of right now
oilersguy liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 2:18 p.m.
I make typos
Quoting: Pens3lieve
yeah like PIT fans wish we could pick up the entire city of PHILLY and dump them on a random island somewhere....maybe Antartica??? who owns Antartica lol?

Antarctica is international territory, this because the United Nations declared it International territory in the 1950's with the Antarctica Treaty
Pens3lieve liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 2:18 p.m.
torontos finest

the true american sportsowner way - threaten to relocate the team if the taxpayers don't pay for the $500 M stadium
oilersguy, Pens3lieve and OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 2:19 p.m.
Brace for the Storm

And the saddest thing about all this is that apart from the big concerts which couldn't go to our old Coliseum the old building was perfectly fine... I miss going there so much it's almost an unhealthy thing at this point. I'm only 19 but I've got so many good memories from that place... best arena ever for me
oilersguy liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 2:19 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
yeah like PIT fans wish we could pick up the entire city of PHILLY and dump them on a random island somewhere....maybe Antartica??? who owns Antartica lol?

Eight different countries, mostly in the Southern Hemipshere, claim some parts of Antarctica lol.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 2:20 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Quoting: SevenLeg
Eight different countries, mostly in the Southern Hemipshere, claim some parts of Antarctica lol.

I know there's a big chunk of it that no one claim. Just relocate Philly there and be done with it
SevenLeg and Pens3lieve liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 2:21 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
I know there's a big chunk of it that no one claim. Just relocate Philly there and be done with it

Philly > Pittsburgh to me lol. Yes I said it
oilersguy liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 2:22 p.m.
Brace for the Storm

Haven't been to either so who am I to tell.
oilersguy liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 2:23 p.m.
torontos finest

philadelphia has better culture

oilersguy liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 2:24 p.m.
Hockey IQ
None by expansion. I think 32 teams is quite a lot for a sport like hockey. Unless the entry path for the sports gets more accessible, 32 teams will be the maximum.

By relocation - Quebec City and Houston are definitely on the list. Quebec has a fairly new, 18000 seater stadium designed for the sport. Houston has the population and could support a team as well, the Toyota Center can be fit for hockey and can seat 17800.

Another Toronto team is a long shot. A couple of reasons are 1) There isn't an NHL ready arena in the GTA outside of the Scotiabank Arena, and there aren't any plans for developing one, and 2) The Maple Leafs have the market on lock down and will fight tooth and nail to deny a competitor. If the Leafs are successful within the next decade, a second Toronto team will all but vanish, since I believe the project will rely on the frustrations of Leafs fans.

Outside of Quebec City I doubt another area could support an NHL franchise. Halifax, Saskatoon and Victoria don't have the population base to handle +15,000 spectators a game. Hamilton does but it's in the Toronto/Buffalo radius and the NHL has already rejected a couple of attempts there.

Don't really know too much about the States - I think Portland and Milwaukee would be interesting options - Portland already has a WHL team and I think Wisconsin is big on hockey; they've got an AHL as well. San Francisco might be a decent place to set up shop but I'm not sure the Sharks would be too keen on that, but they may not have the saying power like the Leafs to in Toronto.

then on the flip side which teams would fold to move??? Arizona? IDK who else? Buffalo, Carolina?

yeah toronto has the $$, the fans, the sponsors, but not an arena... but if the nhl could get the entire GTA to band together with $$ to make another team.....??? where would they put an arena? a very legit question. IDK there isn't much land left around the gta...
oilersguy liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 2:24 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain

I've always liked Philly, Claude Giroux being my favorite player lol. I only drove through Philly tho
oilersguy liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 2:25 p.m.
I make typos
philadelphia has better culture

ELMO!!!!!!!!!!
Dec. 2, 2020 at 2:25 p.m.
torontos finest
then on the flip side which teams would fold to move??? Arizona? IDK who else? Buffalo, Carolina?

yeah toronto has the $$, the fans, the sponsors, but not an arena... but if the nhl could get the entire GTA to band together with $$ to make another team.....??? where would they put an arena? a very legit question. IDK there isn't much land left around the gta...

Florida and Arizona are probably on the chopping block if they can't turn a profit.

In Toronto, I think Markham (just north of the city) was suggested. Mississauga has a ton of people so it could be another option too.
oilersguy, Pens3lieve and OldNYIfan liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 2:26 p.m.
Hockey IQ
Quoting: oilersguy
Antarctica is international territory, this because the United Nations declared it International territory in the 1950's with the Antarctica Treaty

so anyone can just go there or???

lol why in case they find something valuable there?
wonderful, a new endangered species of polar bear lol....I don't even know if there are polar bears there???
oilersguy liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 2:27 p.m.
Hockey IQ
Florida and Arizona are probably on the chopping block if they can't turn a profit.

In Toronto, I think Markham (just north of the city) was suggested. Mississauga has a ton of people so it could be another option too.

just need space to build an arena....
oilersguy liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 2:27 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
so anyone can just go there or???

lol why in case they find something valuable there?
wonderful, a new endangered species of polar bear lol....I don't even know if there are polar bears there???

Pretty sure there aren't
oilersguy liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 2:28 p.m.
Hockey IQ
I've always liked Philly, Claude Giroux being my favorite player lol. I only drove through Philly tho

as a Pittsburgh fan who visited PIT for the first time for a game last season it was great. the arena was awesome! totally a must-visit for those "I wanna see lots of arenas" people...
oilersguy and mhockey91 liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 2:29 p.m.
Hockey IQ
just waiting for some conspiracy theorist to say to put a team on the moon, but say we never landed there so....
double LOL
oilersguy liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 2:30 p.m.
RussianRangers39
are you familiar with SC? what is the interest toward the NHL there?

im not 100% sure but if florida can support 2 hockey teams, i believe that sc can attempt to
oilersguy liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 2:30 p.m.
Hockey IQ
the true american sportsowner way - threaten to relocate the team if the taxpayers don't pay for the $500 M stadium

well......
oilersguy liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 2:31 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
just waiting for some conspiracy theorist to say to put a team on the moon, but say we never landed there so....
double LOL

if someone says that «I will find him and I will kill him»
-Liam Neeson, probably
Pens3lieve and oilersguy liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 2:31 p.m.
Hockey IQ
Quoting: RussianRangers9
im not 100% sure but if florida can support 2 hockey teams, i believe that sc can attempt to

Florida isn't doing great either though....like people want to play in Florida but don't want to play for Florida
Dec. 2, 2020 at 2:32 p.m.
RussianRangers39
Florida isn't doing great either though....like people want to play in Florida but don't want to play for Florida

funny yet true. i feel that if the rivalry is intense, or they bring back the whalers esc style for the new team, fans will flock
Pens3lieve and oilersguy liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll