SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Which cities are most likely to get an NHL team?

Dec. 2, 2020 at 3:04 p.m.
Xx_Zegras46_xX
Quebec City and Houston
Pens3lieve liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 3:11 p.m.
@Pens3lieve I think New Orleans. It will be an east coast team or Canadian.
Pens3lieve liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 3:13 p.m.
I think if a team were to move it will be Quebec, but if there's an expansion it will be in the USA, so Houston. Would be nice to see a team in Salt lake city or Cincinnati, but I don't know if there's enough hockey fan in those city.
OldNYIfan and Pens3lieve liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 3:53 p.m.
Hockey IQ
Quoting: PGHBOB69
@Pens3lieve I think New Orleans. It will be an east coast team or Canadian.

interesting idea. I hadn't heard that one.... I know someone from near there.... and from what he's said there was basically zero hockey fans he knew there.....so IDK if it would work....
PGHBOB69 liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 3:54 p.m.
Quoting: Pens3lieve
interesting idea. I hadn't heard that one.... I know someone from near there.... and from what he's said there was basically zero hockey fans he knew there.....so IDK if it would work....

Ya, I was just thinking the basketball team does well, and I doubt it will be another west coast city.

That’s all my option really is!! Lol. An East coast or Canadian City.
Pens3lieve liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 3:57 p.m.

Ya, I was just thinking the basketball team does well, and I doubt it will be another west coast city.

Although the Houston idea is a good idea. That city could play in an Eastern Conference. What’s your guess??
Dec. 2, 2020 at 3:58 p.m.
Hockey IQ

the thing is....in the US hockey is super regional. good hockey niches but not a culture of many hockey fans... in canada a higher %%% of people are at least knowledgeable about the game and it's ingrained in the culture... the NHL has to figure out how to grow the game among non-fans....
some non-fans I've talked to have a huge misconception about hockey. they lump it in with their dislike for low scoring soccer. seriously. one guy's like, "hockey is boring and slow, it's like 2-1, 1-0..."
that is NOT hockey. the NHL is getting almost 7 goals a game, 3-on-3 OT, and faster every day. I think it will have to be fans introducing their friends to the game as opposed to something tangible the NHL can do....
Dec. 2, 2020 at 3:58 p.m.
Hockey IQ
Although the Houston idea is a good idea. That city could play in an Eastern Conference. What’s your guess??

if Houston was #33 then it should go in the western central...
Dec. 2, 2020 at 3:59 p.m.
I don't see expansion anytime soon. 32 teams is a good number for balance and scheduling.

If a team was to relocate then I'm go with Houston. Relocation is about an owner wanting to make more money, not what is the best location for the NHL.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 3:59 p.m.
Hockey IQ
Quoting: wabit
I don't see expansion anytime soon. 32 teams is a good number for balance and scheduling.

If a team was to relocate then I'm go with Houston. Relocation is about an owner wanting to make more money, not what is the best location for the NHL.

I just wonder if Houston is a hockey city.... IDK...
Dec. 2, 2020 at 4:09 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Think Houston is getting one confirmed but idk
Dec. 2, 2020 at 4:10 p.m.
Hockey IQ
Quoting: MaxDomi13
Think Houston is getting one confirmed but idk

oh wow I haven't heard anything even close to concrete. i wonder if the NHL would give one to any city that would pay 650M or more...
zk97 liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 4:25 p.m.
Banned
Edited Dec. 2, 2020 at 5:11 p.m.
Houston is next and I don't think they will add anymore teams for a long time(hopefully not) I think some teams may be moved eventually and hopefully Quebec Nordiques is reborn from that.
Pens3lieve liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 4:46 p.m.
I just wonder if Houston is a hockey city.... IDK...

They had an AHL team for years, they lost it due to location (MN was the parent club) not a lack of a fanbase. They'll have a built in rival with the Stars from day one. This is TX ,and it doesn't matter what sport it is they want to be better than every other team in the state. 2m+ people in the Houston area, no state income tax, roughly a 7.5% sales tax rate, warm winter weather.

As long as the arena isn't in some awful location (looking at you FLA) I don't think they'll have a problem filling the seats. It'll be a UFA friendly location due to the taxes. The fanbase might not be huge to start but it's a bigger market than say MKE (my ideal spot for a team) or Salt Lake City (Utah has some strange laws).

The one downside is that a team there has to compete with all the other major sports that are also in the area. It's the same problem the NHL has had with trying to get a foothold in Atlanta.
Pens3lieve liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 4:51 p.m.
A second team near Toronto. Maybe Hamilton or even Markham or something along those lines. I'd also like to see a Halifax team. I feel like a lot of people from the eastern provinces would make the trip to see them.
Pens3lieve liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 5:46 p.m.
Hockey IQ
Quoting: leafs101
A second team near Toronto. Maybe Hamilton or even Markham or something along those lines. I'd also like to see a Halifax team. I feel like a lot of people from the eastern provinces would make the trip to see them.

plus alot of TML fans that can't afford to see the leafs would go prob. a team near the GTA would be successful I think...
leafs101 liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 5:52 p.m.
plus alot of TML fans that can't afford to see the leafs would go prob. a team near the GTA would be successful I think...

Exactly. Standing room in the Upper bowl costs north of $100, if you sold seats even at half price which is still still not cheap they'd make enough.
Pens3lieve liked this.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 7:13 p.m.
No more expansion, 24 was the perfect number....32 will work too.....relocation only.
Dec. 2, 2020 at 8:56 p.m.
Hockey IQ
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
No more expansion, 24 was the perfect number....32 will work too.....relocation only.

most likely to relocate in your opinion? and to where?
Dec. 3, 2020 at 1:01 a.m.
Houston
Dec. 3, 2020 at 8:55 a.m.
everyone keeps bringing up houston... does houston/texas even like hockey? texas is very very much a football first state. Just because its a large market doesnt mean they want the product. Is there any market data to suggest they want hockey there?
Pens3lieve and Brian2016 liked this.
Dec. 3, 2020 at 9:29 a.m.
Hockey IQ
Quoting: hanson493
everyone keeps bringing up houston... does houston/texas even like hockey? texas is very very much a football first state. Just because its a large market doesnt mean they want the product. Is there any market data to suggest they want hockey there?

my thoughts exactly. a couple people have brought up some pros earlier in this thread but they have presented a different side of it. like how many people, less taxes, stuff like that...
Dec. 3, 2020 at 9:33 a.m.
my thoughts exactly. a couple people have brought up some pros earlier in this thread but they have presented a different side of it. like how many people, less taxes, stuff like that...

right but im talking fans. do the people in texas want to see hockey games. does houston want hockey? players will play wherever they get top dollar. thats not really an issue. players are playing in buffalo, ottawa, arizona right now. its more of does that market want the product? is there any research out there that backs it up. Like seattle, seattle is a sports city. hockey in washington is a no brainer. the fact basketball left is a shocker but i think that was more of a money move from the owner rather than the city not liking basketball.
Pens3lieve liked this.
Dec. 3, 2020 at 10:10 a.m.
Hockey IQ
Quoting: hanson493
right but im talking fans. do the people in texas want to see hockey games. does houston want hockey? players will play wherever they get top dollar. thats not really an issue. players are playing in buffalo, ottawa, arizona right now. its more of does that market want the product? is there any research out there that backs it up. Like seattle, seattle is a sports city. hockey in washington is a no brainer. the fact basketball left is a shocker but i think that was more of a money move from the owner rather than the city not liking basketball.

about whether or not they'd have enough fans I do not know....
Dec. 3, 2020 at 10:14 a.m.
about whether or not they'd have enough fans I do not know....

isnt that the whole reason to move a franchise? basically revenue streams which rely on fans to come to games, buy merch, buy concessions, and watch televised games?
Pens3lieve liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll