Kane:
2019-20: 26 goals
2018-19: 30 goals
2017-18: 29 goals

Marner:
2019-20: 16 goals
2018-19: 26 goals
2017-18: 22 goals

Obviously it's not just goal totals -- Kane's primarily a goal-scorer and Marner's primarily a playmaker and had far more points in each of the 3 seasons than Kane, and Marner is no question overall the better player. I'm going to refrain from a common assumption I see soooo many after a statement JUST because the player is young: "and he's only getting better!!!" NOT NECESSARILY. Look at Johnny Gaudreau. Look at Jeff Skinner. I'm not saying those players are now bad players, or Marner's play will fall off to the degree that those players' did. I wouldn't be trading for Marner as a Sharks fan in this proposal if I seriously thought he'd be at risk of doing that.

BUT.

I don't know if Marner will be worth the ~11mil per year player he's making... 2018-19 he was worth every penny, but last year... and I'm nitpicking here... he seems to be worth around 9-9.5mil a year.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND MY ARUGMENT: this wouldn't be a big deal or that big a risk to hold onto and see how his play goes in the coming years and just hold onto him.

BUT.

That's a problem for the Leafs who already have two other players making over 11mil a year. A team in the salary cap era can deal with 2 of those at most and have enough depth to consistently contend for cups.

Getting Kane and Labanc for the price of Marner here spreads out the depth to a bonafide top-line player in Kane and an arguably top-line player in Labanc, who's an absolute playmaking wizard (like Marner is too) on the power play... who... and if we're playing the Marner game of only getting better with age as I see so many fans make... would also then be getting better with age.

Anyways, that's the argument. Obviously there's rebuttals to it (from SJ's perspective too to not do this). But just putting the proposal out here to think of how a roster would look like for both teams with this deal.
Trades
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$80,940,908$0$0$559,092

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$6,300,000$6,300,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$4,725,000$4,725,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$1,645,000$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$874,125$874,125
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 4, 2020 at 12:21 a.m.
Dude cmon, I’m not a marner fan and think leafs fans overrate him so much, but this ain’t gonna cut it
Dec. 4, 2020 at 12:26 a.m.
train, train
Quoting: mhockey91
Dude cmon, I’m not a marner fan and think leafs fans overrate him so much, but this ain’t gonna cut it

I think this proposal, with the 10% Kane retention, is almost fair value for the Leafs but ultimately it's not enough value-wise. TOR should (but won't) trade Marner not bc he's bad or will be bad, but to free up some cap space and spread depth throughout the roster and this could be a good enough return even if it's not 100% fair value. There's not many options for a RW replacement between 7-9mil who brings what Marner brings where the team who has that player would trade him for Marner.
Dec. 4, 2020 at 12:28 a.m.
Quoting: CheechYou
I think this proposal, with the 10% Kane retention, is almost fair value for the Leafs but ultimately it's not enough value-wise. TOR should (but won't) trade Marner not bc he's bad or will be bad, but to free up some cap space and spread depth throughout the roster. There's not many options for a RW replacement between 7-9mil who brings what Marner brings where the team who has that player would trade him for Marner.

If Toronto would trade marner it would be for RHD which this trade doesn’t accomplish. The gap in age between Kane and marner is too big for Kane to be the biggest piece in a return.
Swap Kane with Miere to get the conversation started
Dec. 4, 2020 at 12:31 a.m.
train, train
Edited Dec. 4, 2020 at 12:36 a.m.
If Toronto would trade marner it would be for RHD which this trade doesn’t accomplish. The gap in age between Kane and marner is too big for Kane to be the biggest piece in a return.
Swap Kane with Miere to get the conversation started

A Meier/Labanc deal doesn't get the conversation started -- it's a definite 100% yes for the Leafs. Sharks consider it but ultimately decline bc that's 2 young top-line players for 1 who's probably ~2mil overpaid which doesn't make sense. Again, that wouldn't be a problem if the top-line player is making 7mil but is worth a little less %wise like 5.75mil. But 11mil is a lot different, even if he's still worth 9-9.5mil. It's the cap issue.
Dec. 4, 2020 at 12:34 a.m.
only 20ish goals but you forget the only player with more primary assists over the last two years than him is mcdavid lol

marner was scoring at a 98 point pace after keefe took over in november, a 92 point pace if you include the 23 babcock games where he sprained his ankle etc.

marner just turned 23, he could win the art ross one day lol, his ceiling is hilariously high. Imagine how he plays when he's like 28-29?

having marner at 10.893 means that we generate so much offense that it doesn't matter really who's on the bottom 2 lines. he saves us money lol

he turned matthews into a 50-60 goal scorer, tavares had a career year with him, kadri only ever scored over 20 goals playing with marner, hyman's numbers took a HUGE jump playing with him

he elevates everybody around him, and paired with an elite centre it's absolutely lethal. not giving that up for anything
Dec. 4, 2020 at 12:36 a.m.
You could convince me of this if it wasn't for the LeBanc contract. 4.725 mil aav for a 40-50 point scorer with term. Thats a deal that can go very badly very quickly. He got paid a premium in San Jose for taking that 1 year 1 mil aav deal to make their cap work last season, I wouldn't be thrilled about eating that for San Jose.
chungus liked this.
Dec. 4, 2020 at 12:38 a.m.
Aside from the ages and potential, Marner may not be the better goal scorer, but why do we need another top-six goal scorer? We have JT and Matthews who are elite goalscores (as well as Nylander who was on pace for 40 and Hyman who was on pace for 30+). Marner is important because his vision allows these guys to score. Kane wouldn't do that.

Also, this doesn't really help us moneywise or fill any major needs.
chungus liked this.
Dec. 4, 2020 at 12:42 a.m.
train, train
Quoting: Lyle_Bubas
having marner at 10.893 means that we generate so much offense that it doesn't matter really who's on the bottom 2 lines. he saves us money lol

he turned matthews into a 50-60 goal scorer, tavares had a career year with him, kadri only ever scored over 20 goals playing with marner, hyman's numbers took a HUGE jump playing with him

he elevates everybody around him, and paired with an elite centre it's absolutely lethal

I'm as high on Marner as you are -- trust me on that. What I'm skeptical of is 2 things:

1) it does matter who's on the other two lines when it comes to winning a stanley cup. There's usually at least 2-3 teams who are super deep and if you're lucky or on talent alone (ala EK65 with the Sens a few yrs back), top players with no depth behind them can will a team far with a small chance of even winning it all. But it's a lot more consistent to try and have maybe 2 11mil+ contracts instead of 3 and deepen the team instead. Which brings me to

2) I think Matthews/JT91/Kadri are all tremendous players in their own right and it's a huge added bonus of having Marner with them, but I don't think the drop-off of playing with Marner vs. playing without him is big enough to say he's turning this guy into this, this guy into that.
Dec. 4, 2020 at 12:43 a.m.
train, train
Quoting: AlwaysBeleaf1919
Aside from the ages and potential, Marner may not be the better goal scorer, but why do we need another top-six goal scorer? We have JT and Matthews who are elite goalscores (as well as Nylander who was on pace for 40 and Hyman who was on pace for 30+). Marner is important because his vision allows these guys to score. Kane wouldn't do that.

Also, this doesn't really help us moneywise or fill any major needs.

Labanc's got tremendous offensive vision too and is getting better. Marner's sooo far and away the better defensive player but the offensive vision even if Marner's better in that department is actually pretty close and closer than you'd think (stats back that up).
Dec. 4, 2020 at 12:49 a.m.
Quoting: Lyle_Bubas
only 20ish goals but you forget the only player with more primary assists over the last two years than him is mcdavid lol

marner was scoring at a 98 point pace after keefe took over in november, a 92 point pace if you include the 23 babcock games where he sprained his ankle etc.

marner just turned 23, he could win the art ross one day lol, his ceiling is hilariously high. Imagine how he plays when he's like 28-29?

he elevates everybody around him, and paired with an elite centre it's absolutely lethal. not giving that up for anything

Disagree with a lot of this. I think Tavares makes marner look really good. Tavares was scoring goals before marner came into the league. Marner got 69 points before Tavares came. Exploded the year after. I get he was a year older, but I think without Tavares, Marner’s stats wouldn’t be as good.

Leafs still say no to this trade though
chungus liked this.
Dec. 4, 2020 at 12:50 a.m.
I'm as high on Marner as you are -- trust me on that. What I'm skeptical of is 2 things:

1) it does matter who's on the other two lines when it comes to winning a stanley cup. There's usually at least 2-3 teams who are super deep and if you're lucky or on talent alone (ala EK65 with the Sens a few yrs back), top players with no depth behind them can will a team far with a small chance of even winning it all. But it's a lot more consistent to try and have maybe 2 11mil+ contracts instead of 3 and deepen the team instead. Which brings me to

2) I think Matthews/JT91/Kadri are all tremendous players in their own right and it's a huge added bonus of having Marner with them, but I don't think the drop-off of playing with Marner vs. playing without him is big enough to say he's turning this guy into this, this guy into that.

well, in kadri's case, he has yet to hit anywhere near 30 goals when playing without marner on his line. he was injured this year, so he maybe would've had low 20s, but still not anywhere near 32

Tavares, trust me, if you watch the highlights, he's good for 35ish goals, being point per game, but holy hell marner let him cake walk to nearly 50. This year playing without marner he was on pace for about 34 (albeit injured)

the other two lines matter, but not necessarily for scoring. Tampa had relatively little scoring from their bottom 6, yet it was their defensive play and general sandpaper qualities that made them valuable. the problem imo with the leaf's bottom 6 was "wow, all 4 lines can score!" and then come playoff time kappy/johnsson/kerfoot/clifford/engvall etc. vanish. Signing role players (i.e. a pat maroon) who never scores but is a leader and a grinder who plays great hockey is the key to winning

usually you want all 4 lines to score (i.e. STL and DAL), but imo in top heavy cases like pittsburgh, tampa, and the leafs, it's more of a bonus if your bottom lines score, provided they do all the other things right like lead, play good defense, shut the game down etc. (which the leaf's previous bottom 6s failed at miserably)
DartGuy86 liked this.
Dec. 4, 2020 at 12:51 a.m.
A Meier/Labanc deal doesn't get the conversation started -- it's a definite 100% yes for the Leafs. Sharks consider it but ultimately decline bc that's 2 young top-line players for 1 who's probably ~2mil overpaid which doesn't make sense. Again, that wouldn't be a problem if the top-line player is making 7mil but is worth a little less %wise like 5.75mil. But 11mil is a lot different, even if he's still worth 9-9.5mil. It's the cap issue.

Idk if I’d consider LaBanc “top line”. Can he play there? Sure. But players like him come a dime a dozen. He’s a good player don’t get me wrong, but I’d still rather have marner over both Lebanc and Miere
Dec. 4, 2020 at 12:52 a.m.
Disagree with a lot of this. I think Tavares makes marner look really good. Tavares was scoring goals before marner came into the league. Marner got 69 points before Tavares came. Exploded the year after. I get he was a year older, but I think without Tavares, Marner’s stats wouldn’t be as good.

Leafs still say no to this trade though

imo they feed eachother. tavares is a beast in his own right ofc, but if you watch the highlights, marner literally set up JT for so many tap ins. Yet JT also had some wicked plays as well. That's the benefit of having a star centre and a star winger, they feed off eachother

even in a down year, marner with 5-10 less gp than all those above him was 9th in primary assists
210620724163676b6a6b461038e7166a.png
Dec. 4, 2020 at 12:53 a.m.
Hidalgo
Kane even slightly retained is just as overpaid as Marner is, if not more. I like Labanc, but it makes no sense to trade Marner in this case
Dec. 4, 2020 at 12:59 a.m.
What in tarnation
The package going TOR's way cost them about as much as Marner does, and Marner alone scored almost in the same rate than these two combined.

It's an easy no for them. Quality > Quantity.

Marner, while overpaid, brings them also something that doesn't show in the points, namely his ability of killing penalties. For an offensive playmaker he's also somewhat talented defensively as well.

You picked Gaudreau as an example of falling of a cliff so to speak. Frankly if I were CGY, I wouldn't trade Gaudreau for those two either. We're talking about players whose ceiling is much, much higher than anything you've provided here.

At the state where the Leafs are at the moment, the only sensible course of action is moving Marner for a top pair defenseman of close to similar age. Something the Sharks does not have at the moment.
Dec. 4, 2020 at 3:13 a.m.
train, train
Quoting: justaBoss
Marner, while overpaid, brings them also something that doesn't show in the points, namely his ability of killing penalties. For an offensive playmaker he's also somewhat talented defensively as well.

Again, I don't disagree with the notion that Marner is far and away the better player than both of them and, in a nutshell, better than both Kane+Labanc combined in terms of high impact + contribution to a team.

Where I think this trade makes some sense for TOR is bc it's not in a nutshell -- they have 2 other 11+mil players in addition to Marner who's also being paid basically 11mil/yr. But Kane+Labanc replacing Marner spreads out the depth and, this is my 2nd point, their production isn't far off from being fair value to Marner even if it's not 100% fair value.

You mentioned Marner's exceptional ability to kill penalties. True. But statistically, though obviously Marner is much better on the PK for example and is known for that and I'm not questioning any of that, Kane is actually one of the league's top PKers. You can say a lot of that is from SJ's #1 PK system but it's there nonetheless. And Labanc is up there with Marner in the same spot on the top unit for the PP. It's a closer trade proposal considering all these factors than what you'd think at first glance.
Dec. 4, 2020 at 4:06 a.m.
What in tarnation
Again, I don't disagree with the notion that Marner is far and away the better player than both of them and, in a nutshell, better than both Kane+Labanc combined in terms of high impact + contribution to a team.

Where I think this trade makes some sense for TOR is bc it's not in a nutshell -- they have 2 other 11+mil players in addition to Marner who's also being paid basically 11mil/yr. But Kane+Labanc replacing Marner spreads out the depth and, this is my 2nd point, their production isn't far off from being fair value to Marner even if it's not 100% fair value.

You mentioned Marner's exceptional ability to kill penalties. True. But statistically, though obviously Marner is much better on the PK for example and is known for that and I'm not questioning any of that, Kane is actually one of the league's top PKers. You can say a lot of that is from SJ's #1 PK system but it's there nonetheless. And Labanc is up there with Marner in the same spot on the top unit for the PP. It's a closer trade proposal considering all these factors than what you'd think at first glance.

Nah if you ask me it's not really that close. Marner brings alone to the table pretty much the same Kane and Labanc does. I'd absolutely rather have one elite asset over two mid level overpaid ones.

Take it this way, statistically during the regular season Rickard Rakell and Sam Steel scored pretty much in the same rate than Brayden Point, and cost wise these two are pretty close. They also play somewhat similar roles compared to what Kane and Labanc do in comparison to Marner. But not in a million years would TB trade Point for these two.
Dec. 4, 2020 at 8:28 a.m.
guy puts goals with kane and Marner but wheres assists??
chungus liked this.
Dec. 4, 2020 at 8:39 a.m.
Leafs Sufferer

I get where you're coming from, and in most cases I would agree with you. Spreading out your depth is a logical thing to do.

In this case, Marner is the better option. He has all the skills that have already been mentioned and is only going to get better. I have no problem filling roster spots with cheap/veteran depth for the next 5 years. Those types of players will always be available.
Dec. 4, 2020 at 8:52 a.m.
noooooope

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll