2021-2022 Ottawa Senators

Created by: sensibleguy
Team: 2021-22 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 17, 2020
Published: Dec. 4, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is 2021-2022

Logan Brown and Batherson have transitioned to the NHL and are starting their second full season.

Stuetzle has completed his commitment to the European league.

Norris, Formenton, Zub, and Brannstrom are now full time NHLers, and are penciled in for their first full season after splitting 21/22 between the AHL and NHL.

Hogberg replaces Nilsson as the full time backup.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
3$925,000
3$925,000
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$51,385,083$0$1,407,500$30,114,917
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$925,000$925,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 6
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW
UFA - 7
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$747,500$747,500 (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
LW
RFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 4
$3,600,000$3,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$749,250$749,250
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LD
UFA - 7
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$450,000$450K)
LD/RD, LW
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 4, 2020 at 12:35 p.m.
Serf
Ignore the salaries, they were just placeholder amounts
Dec. 4, 2020 at 1:21 p.m.
Hogberg will be the full time backup this year imo, he’s ready and I’m honestly afraid Nilsson’s concussion issues might force premature retirement. If he does get fully healthy again (and I mean FULLY healthy, no messing around and bringing him back early) then he’ll honestly probably be trade bait (Chicago could use an NHL-calibre goalie and several teams could use a solid backup at only a 1.3mil price tag after retention). I also think Brannstrom will muscle his way onto the team full time, left side isn’t exactly stellar. Right side is a little deeper so Zub might have some trouble finding ice time, but he’ll still be with the team as the #7 at worst I reckon, probably a regular post-deadline as Gudbranson is likely trade bait. Assuming Zub works out both will be full time in 21-22. I also think that by 21-22 the Sens would like to try transitioning Stutzle to the middle, unless at least 2 of L. Brown, Norris, and White have phenomenal seasons and cement themselves as top 6 quality centres (and at least one of them acts like a true 1C).
Green4D4 liked this.
Dec. 4, 2020 at 1:22 p.m.
... We're a "Team"..
Best case scenario right here.
Dec. 4, 2020 at 1:30 p.m.
Don't forget someone will be lost to Seattle. I hope they attach something to Zaitzev to get rid of him. That would lead to a 2021-22 D core of Chabot- Branstrom, Sanderson-Brown, Wolanin -Zub/JBD
Green4D4 liked this.
Dec. 4, 2020 at 1:35 p.m.
... We're a "Team"..
Quoting: Alfie11
Hogberg will be the full time backup this year imo, he’s ready and I’m honestly afraid Nilsson’s concussion issues might force premature retirement. If he does get fully healthy again (and I mean FULLY healthy, no messing around and bringing him back early) then he’ll honestly probably be trade bait (Chicago could use an NHL-calibre goalie and several teams could use a solid backup at only a 1.3mil price tag after retention). I also think Brannstrom will muscle his way onto the team full time, left side isn’t exactly stellar. Right side is a little deeper so Zub might have some trouble finding ice time, but he’ll still be with the team as the #7 at worst I reckon, probably a regular post-deadline as Gudbranson is likely trade bait. Assuming Zub works out both will be full time in 21-22. I also think that by 21-22 the Sens would like to try transitioning Stutzle to the middle, unless at least 2 of L. Brown, Norris, and White have phenomenal seasons and cement themselves as top 6 quality centres (and at least one of them acts like a true 1C).

I think White is going to bounce back. He's 22 and was pretty decent at the tail end of last year. Injuries hurt his play time along with losing Mark Stone... I'm more worried about Logan's development. A lot of skill and size with that lad but the effort doesn't reflect it yet. Hopefully he smartens up... Norris has all the wheels and smarts to be a perfect 2-way second line center. Hopefully develops into a Cirelli style player for us with Stuetzle being Brayden Point 2.0 (albeit with a little more flash and skill to his game).

I believe there is an invisible "handshake" between Zub, D.J. and Dorion. He'll get the chance to start with Chabot/Brannstrom or you can say goodbye to signing any other high profile guy out of the KHL. It is likely that 1 of Brown, Guddy, Jaros or Reilly sit.

Nilsson is likely done if he's still feeling effects of a concussion (I've been in his position and I know numerous people who still have lingering effects of long-term brain injuries). When you are his age with his responsibilities (i.e. family with child), all of a sudden, you're career is the last thing on your mind... Hopefully he recovers because it's a **** way to live. Think of the Human...

All in all, if everything goes right, we should see at the very least big jumps from the young guys this year (if there is a year).

It'll be interesting to see what Murray looks like. I'm hoping we see a return to form to what we saw in the 2017... nightmares I tell you... nightmares.
Dec. 4, 2020 at 1:38 p.m.
... We're a "Team"..
Quoting: wardbell92
Don't forget someone will be lost to Seattle. I hope they attach something to Zaitzev to get rid of him. That would lead to a 2021-22 D core of Chabot- Branstrom, Sanderson-Brown, Wolanin -Zub/JBD

Seattle will, unfortunately, have a plethora of young guys to choose from when they come around to Ottawa. All of which can be replaced due to the sheer amount of prospects we have in our system. It'll suck to lose someone like Chlapik, Balcers, Jaros or otherwise but it won't hurt as bad when someone like Pinto hits his stride out of UND.
Dec. 4, 2020 at 2:03 p.m.
Serf

Quoting: Green4D4Again
Best case scenario right here.

Quoting: wardbell92

I think White is going to bounce back. He's 22 and was pretty decent at the tail end of last year. Injuries hurt his play time along with losing Mark Stone... I'm more worried about Logan's development. A lot of skill and size with that lad but the effort doesn't reflect it yet. Hopefully he smartens up... Norris has all the wheels and smarts to be a perfect 2-way second line center. Hopefully develops into a Cirelli style player for us with Stuetzle being Brayden Point 2.0 (albeit with a little more flash and skill to his game).

I believe there is an invisible "handshake" between Zub, D.J. and Dorion. He'll get the chance to start with Chabot/Brannstrom or you can say goodbye to signing any other high profile guy out of the KHL. It is likely that 1 of Brown, Guddy, Jaros or Reilly sit.

Nilsson is likely done if he's still feeling effects of a concussion (I've been in his position and I know numerous people who still have lingering effects of long-term brain injuries). When you are his age with his responsibilities (i.e. family with child), all of a sudden, you're career is the last thing on your mind... Hopefully he recovers because it's a **** way to live. Think of the Human...

All in all, if everything goes right, we should see at the very least big jumps from the young guys this year (if there is a year).

It'll be interesting to see what Murray looks like. I'm hoping we see a return to form to what we saw in the 2017... nightmares I tell you... nightmares.

Seattle will, unfortunately, have a plethora of young guys to choose from when they come around to Ottawa. All of which can be replaced due to the sheer amount of prospects we have in our system. It'll suck to lose someone like Chlapik, Balcers, Jaros or otherwise but it won't hurt as bad when someone like Pinto hits his stride out of UND.

I just tagged everyone for my response.

The thing with White is, who would he replace in the top6? That’s what makes him the 3C, not his sophomore slump. If they switched Stuetzle to centre, it unbalances the top6. With Stuetzle and Tkachuk, it’s a very strong left side. In fact all four wingers in the top6 belong there, legitimately.

The player lost to expansion, if it’s a forward, is replaced by Abramov, and then someone gets replaced by Pinto., if it’s a D, there’s lots of upcoming talent there, and if it’s a goalie, the next one in line moves up.
Dec. 4, 2020 at 7:27 p.m.
See you in the cup finals in 5 years 😎😬
sensibleguy liked this.
Dec. 4, 2020 at 7:49 p.m.

I agree, I think White should bounce back and even improve. The question is, is he a 1C or a 2C? Worst case he’s a third liner, either C or RW, but for 4.75mil you want him in the top 6. The issue is I don’t see him being more than a Backlund-esque second line centre (maybe a little higher offensive upside than Backlund, but I don’t know if he’ll hit 60 points regularly, if at all). Norris I agree will be a very solid 2C, I see a higher offensive upside for him (65+ pt guy regularly?) while still having a solid 2-way game. The big question mark is whether or not one of L. Brown or Stutzle can claim the 1C job. Both have 1C potential, but both might have issues getting there.

I don’t know if there’s a handshake deal tbh, and as long as he’s given a fair shot in camp to make the team it should be fine. It seems weird to give up picks for J. Brown and Gudbranson only to scratch one.

Nilsson’s management should 100% be determined by his health, we don’t really need him on the ice and his brain and future are far more important regardless.

I agree it’ll be fun to watch them develop and hopefully achieve their potential over the next couple years!

I think Murray will be able to do better with less pressure and a fresh start. He might not put up much better stats this year cuz our defense sucks, but long term we have some rock solid defenders coming (JBD and Sanderson should debut mid-season in 21-22, or at the latest out of camp in 2022, Kleven’s an option for the 3rd pair but that’ll likely be in 3-5 years) so that might help too. Hopefully in 4 years Sogaard or Gustavsson are the starter anyway lol

As for Seattle we probably lose Balcers, Jaros, or Gustavsson... I’m worried about losing Gustavsson because I don’t view Hogberg or Daccord as NHL starter material and we’d be relying fully on Sogaard developing to that point as our only legitimate long term starter option (if Mandolese or Merilainen turn into a starter that’d be great but shouldn’t be necessarily counted on). Not gonna lie, I wouldn’t be opposed to giving up Abramov to ensure they take Lajoie or something, both are expendable at this point imo (assuming both have an average AHL season, if Abramov lights it up he might turn into a piece we want to keep). Not gonna lie, unless he lights it up, I’d even be down to deal Daccord to facilitate taking Lajoie (give Seattle some AHL depth and open up a spot for Sogaard or Mandolese in 21-22). I just really am opposed to losing Gustavsson right now, he’s gaining some confidence in the second Swedish league, hopefully he turns that into a good year in the AHL and becomes the stud prospect he should be.

Quoting: sensibleguy
I just tagged everyone for my response.

The thing with White is, who would he replace in the top6? That’s what makes him the 3C, not his sophomore slump. If they switched Stuetzle to centre, it unbalances the top6. With Stuetzle and Tkachuk, it’s a very strong left side. In fact all four wingers in the top6 belong there, legitimately.

The player lost to expansion, if it’s a forward, is replaced by Abramov, and then someone gets replaced by Pinto., if it’s a D, there’s lots of upcoming talent there, and if it’s a goalie, the next one in line moves up.

I think our left side is fine regardless, I view Formenton as a capable 2LW behind Tkachuk, who is clearly a 1LW, so if Stutzle can be a 1C I would rather try him there (plus we have Jarventie 3 years out for 2LW). Norris is fine for 2C and then L. Brown is a wildcard, him and White could both be 1C or 3C. It’s tough because I don’t think White is really a 1C and I don’t know if Brown will reach his 1C potential. As far as White getting pushed out, I think there’s room for him this year, as he only has to beat one of Tierney or L. Brown (and Tierney I don’t think will be played on the main scoring line over those two). In 21-22 I don’t see him being top 6 when we have Tkachuk, Stutzle, Dadonov, Batherson, Formenton, Norris, and L. Brown for competition, so either him or Tierney gets traded next offseason and the other will be 3C as long as L. Brown doesn’t bust. See above for my comments on expansion, basically the only guy I don’t want to lose is Gustavsson.
sensibleguy liked this.
Dec. 4, 2020 at 8:18 p.m.
Serf
I agree, I think White should bounce back and even improve. The question is, is he a 1C or a 2C? Worst case he’s a third liner, either C or RW, but for 4.75mil you want him in the top 6. The issue is I don’t see him being more than a Backlund-esque second line centre (maybe a little higher offensive upside than Backlund, but I don’t know if he’ll hit 60 points regularly, if at all). Norris I agree will be a very solid 2C, I see a higher offensive upside for him (65+ pt guy regularly?) while still having a solid 2-way game. The big question mark is whether or not one of L. Brown or Stutzle can claim the 1C job. Both have 1C potential, but both might have issues getting there.

I don’t know if there’s a handshake deal tbh, and as long as he’s given a fair shot in camp to make the team it should be fine. It seems weird to give up picks for J. Brown and Gudbranson only to scratch one.

Nilsson’s management should 100% be determined by his health, we don’t really need him on the ice and his brain and future are far more important regardless.

I agree it’ll be fun to watch them develop and hopefully achieve their potential over the next couple years!

I think Murray will be able to do better with less pressure and a fresh start. He might not put up much better stats this year cuz our defense sucks, but long term we have some rock solid defenders coming (JBD and Sanderson should debut mid-season in 21-22, or at the latest out of camp in 2022, Kleven’s an option for the 3rd pair but that’ll likely be in 3-5 years) so that might help too. Hopefully in 4 years Sogaard or Gustavsson are the starter anyway lol

As for Seattle we probably lose Balcers, Jaros, or Gustavsson... I’m worried about losing Gustavsson because I don’t view Hogberg or Daccord as NHL starter material and we’d be relying fully on Sogaard developing to that point as our only legitimate long term starter option (if Mandolese or Merilainen turn into a starter that’d be great but shouldn’t be necessarily counted on). Not gonna lie, I wouldn’t be opposed to giving up Abramov to ensure they take Lajoie or something, both are expendable at this point imo (assuming both have an average AHL season, if Abramov lights it up he might turn into a piece we want to keep). Not gonna lie, unless he lights it up, I’d even be down to deal Daccord to facilitate taking Lajoie (give Seattle some AHL depth and open up a spot for Sogaard or Mandolese in 21-22). I just really am opposed to losing Gustavsson right now, he’s gaining some confidence in the second Swedish league, hopefully he turns that into a good year in the AHL and becomes the stud prospect he should be.

I think our left side is fine regardless, I view Formenton as a capable 2LW behind Tkachuk, who is clearly a 1LW, so if Stutzle can be a 1C I would rather try him there (plus we have Jarventie 3 years out for 2LW). Norris is fine for 2C and then L. Brown is a wildcard, him and White could both be 1C or 3C. It’s tough because I don’t think White is really a 1C and I don’t know if Brown will reach his 1C potential. As far as White getting pushed out, I think there’s room for him this year, as he only has to beat one of Tierney or L. Brown (and Tierney I don’t think will be played on the main scoring line over those two). In 21-22 I don’t see him being top 6 when we have Tkachuk, Stutzle, Dadonov, Batherson, Formenton, Norris, and L. Brown for competition, so either him or Tierney gets traded next offseason and the other will be 3C as long as L. Brown doesn’t bust. See above for my comments on expansion, basically the only guy I don’t want to lose is Gustavsson.

First off, I really appreciate when an opinion is expressed in more than a few words, so thank you.

I’d like to explain why I like Stuetzle at 1LW and Tkachuk 2LW

If we look at the 31 teams, and determine what’s is a good 1st line player, or 2nd line player, or top6 player, we’re comparing and judging most of the teams. If we instead try to determine what is a 1st/2nd/top6 for teams that make the conference semi final, we see a huge difference, of course. So I’m asking myself, is Tkachuk a good first line LW for a final 8 team? He’s good, he’s valuable, but this team is better if he’s the second best LW, and there’s someone dynamic in the 1LW slot. Batherson might not be as good as Stuetzle, but he’s going to be as good as some/many 1RW in the final 8. The lines can be mixed and matched, I’m just comparing best LW to best LW, the same as RW to RW. I don’t think Brown and Norris will be considered dominant playoff centres, but they will be competent. What the team loses in comparison to the other final 8 teams at 1C & 2C, they make up at 3C with White. The same will go for Formenton and Connor Brown as 3LW and 3RW. Tierney at 4C is a huge advantage.

Of course this is all based on expectations, and just on paper, the games still need to be played, but it all starts out on paper, and I think the team is better if Tkachuk is the second best LW, White is the third best C, and so on.

Just expanding on my thoughts, not disagreeing.
Alfie11 liked this.
Dec. 4, 2020 at 10:17 p.m.
Edited Dec. 4, 2020 at 10:27 p.m.
Quoting: sensibleguy
First off, I really appreciate when an opinion is expressed in more than a few words, so thank you.

I’d like to explain why I like Stuetzle at 1LW and Tkachuk 2LW

If we look at the 31 teams, and determine what’s is a good 1st line player, or 2nd line player, or top6 player, we’re comparing and judging most of the teams. If we instead try to determine what is a 1st/2nd/top6 for teams that make the conference semi final, we see a huge difference, of course. So I’m asking myself, is Tkachuk a good first line LW for a final 8 team? He’s good, he’s valuable, but this team is better if he’s the second best LW, and there’s someone dynamic in the 1LW slot. Batherson might not be as good as Stuetzle, but he’s going to be as good as some/many 1RW in the final 8. The lines can be mixed and matched, I’m just comparing best LW to best LW, the same as RW to RW. I don’t think Brown and Norris will be considered dominant playoff centres, but they will be competent. What the team loses in comparison to the other final 8 teams at 1C & 2C, they make up at 3C with White. The same will go for Formenton and Connor Brown as 3LW and 3RW. Tierney at 4C is a huge advantage.

Of course this is all based on expectations, and just on paper, the games still need to be played, but it all starts out on paper, and I think the team is better if Tkachuk is the second best LW, White is the third best C, and so on.

Just expanding on my thoughts, not disagreeing.

Yeah that’s a fair point. Stutzle is probably the most dynamic player we have (which is why I want him at 1C haha, but I think he will at least be 1LW like you mentioned). I think Brown has dominant 1C potential, but given the fact that he hasn’t cemented himself in the top 6 yet, I feel like his new peak will be similar to what I expect Norris to be, and then we’re in an awkward situation with two guys who are above average 2nd line centres but not good enough to be considered bona fide 1st line centres. As for Tkachuk, he didn’t exactly have any dynamic linemates to play with last year, and he only had half a season with Stone as a rookie. I think Dadonov on the opposite wing will give him another dangerous scorer to play with, and Norris/Brown/Stutzle in the middle all have more offensive talent than White or Tierney. In a year’s time, and with higher quality linemates, I think he might turn into the next Jamie Benn (like from the mid-2010s). If you look at Benn’s trajectory, he didn’t play the first two years after being drafted, got 41 points as a rookie in year 3 (equivalent is next season for Tkachuk), then had 3 years in the 60-70 point range before his 5 years where he was dominant at about a point per game. I think that Tkachuk being a top 5 pick and entering the league as an 18yo may have accelerated that, so his peak years (point per game, hitting everything that moves, annoying everyone) will start in a couple years, but yeah, I see that as his likely development path, which would make him an elite first line talent. So yeah, my dream scenario is Stutzle as the dynamic 1C between Tkachuk as Benn 2.0 and Batherson or Dadonov as the very good tagalong. I definitely agree Stutzle will be a first liner by 21-22 one way or another, I just think that’s more likely at the expense of L. Brown being in the top 6 instead of Tkachuk being on the first line y’know? But that’s also because of my belief that Formenton is a 2LW. And then yeah, White, Tierney, and C. Brown in the bottom 6 is dominant and honestly kind of unfair, especially if the young guys put their game together quickly. It’s nice to know that White’s worst case is a 40pt defensively responsible third liner though, but 4.75mil is a lot for that role, so I would definitely like him to push for a top 6 role in the short term, or at least exceed my expectations for him on the 3rd line by putting up 50+ between C. Brown and Galchenyuk.
sensibleguy liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll