Forums/Armchair-GM

Dayoff should of made these trades

Created by: MisstheWhalers
Team: 2020-21 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 5, 2020
Published: Dec. 6, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Just a post of a couple trades Chevy missed out on as usual and another he should of made to open up some cap space.
Don't @ me with Colorado, NJ or Pens wouldn't make those trades cause I know they won't and that's not the point of this post.. Lol

I just don't get how when you have the top 6 the Jets have and a Vezina winning goalie but the clear holes the Jets have on D you miss out on these trades which clearly would improve your mediocre defense while giving up not a lot.
Now to be clear I don't think adding Murray and Toews would of made the Jets D the best in the league by any stretch but it would of made it way better then it is now and bring it to respectability again, as it stands now it's still the main point of concern and what everyone says is still their biggest issue that will hold them back, a patchwork D core that Chevy didn't do enough to fix.
I get that they have some promising D prospects that can maybe step in and contribute this season but is it really worth risking another year of Schiefele, Wheeler, Hellebuyck’s window on maybes?
I don't think it is, Chevy should of made these low cost trades.

So what say you CapFriendly critics, am I right or wrong in my opinion that Chevy could have and should have made these trades?

All opinions welcome but let's keep them constructive, the lines are how I'd make them but would rather not sidetrack the discussion about that.. Lol, thanks!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,350,000
Trades
WPG
  1. Toews, Devon
Additional Details:
Chevy should've made this trade with the Islanders,
Sakic might be the best GM in the league, top 5 for sure, Chevy was taking another Dayoff I guess.
COL
  1. 2021 2nd round pick (WPG)
  2. 2022 2nd round pick (WPG)
WPG
  1. Murray, Ryan
Additional Details:
R.Murray would've been the perfect stopgap for the Jets LHD prospects to marinate in the minors/juniors, injury prone sure but in a shortened season who cares, a 5th round pick for a legit top 4 dman is nothing to give up, also could possibly of been signed after if both sides were interested.
NJD
  1. 2021 5th round pick (WPG)
WPG
ARI
  1. Beaulieu, Nathan
  2. DeMelo, Dylan
  3. Forbort, Derek
Additional Details:
I don't mind any of these guys though I think DeMelo has gotten pretty overrated, anyway this isn't a real trade, just moving them anywhere to show they wouldn't of been signed had the R.Murray and D.Toews trades have been made by the guy with Dayoff in his name.
WPG
  1. 2022 4th round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. Lowry, Adam
Additional Details:
Jets would of needed a bit of cap space to acquire Toews and Murray so this plug gets dealt to open up some cap space, could see Rutherford having interest in Lowry, Pens would be able to fit Lowry by devoting Riikola and Sceviour and not signing Jankowski.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$78,759,524$0$0$2,740,476
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$4,995,000$4,995,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 5
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 6
$6,500,000$6,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$725,000$725,000
LW
UFA - 2
$2,280,000$2,280,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,350,000$2,350,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$4,125,000$4,125,000
LW, RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
UFA - 8
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD
UFA - 1
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 4
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
UFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
RD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,291,667$5,291,667
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 6, 2020 at 3:20 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Facts.
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Dec. 6, 2020 at 3:57 p.m.
As an Avs fan, my second thought after Joe acquired Toews was: why the heck didn't the Jets beat this offer?

For the record, my first thought was: holy crap we just got Toews!
Dec. 6, 2020 at 4:02 p.m.
Banned
penguins didn't want to let Riikola go as he's good cheap depth.
So there goes that.

I don't think Murray is your guy to be honest with you. He is a good player, but the injury history is real. He'd be on IR for you in no time, especially as your 1RD.
Dec. 6, 2020 at 4:05 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: Anus_McLeod
As an Avs fan, my second thought after Joe acquired Toews was: why the heck didn't the Jets beat this offer?

And would they even needed to beat it, good chance the Islanders prefer the odds of the Jets picks being earlier then the Avs but yeah two 2nds is pretty reasonable imo, adding another later pick or a
B/C-prospect wouldn't of been some huge overpay.

Idk if it's a question of Chevy beating the Avs offer or just not being in on it to start with, really think the guy is just out of touch or something, swear he has a cabin on some island with zero cell service and that's where he spends the majority of his time.. Lol
Anus_McLeod liked this.
Dec. 6, 2020 at 4:13 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: pharrow
penguins didn't want to let Riikola go as he's good cheap depth.
So there goes that.

I don't think Murray is your guy to be honest with you. He is a good player, but the injury history is real. He'd be on IR for you in no time, especially as your 1RD.

Oops I see I typo'd that and put devoting instead of demoting.. Lol

Honestly I think unless there's an injury Riikola gets sent to the AHL and he clears easily, regardless I know Rutherford had interest in Lowry before and I'm sure he would of figured something out to acquire him if Chevy made a call, the Jets love Lowry though unfortunately and the reality is they wouldn't of traded him, they value a ****ty plug player over improving their ****ty D core apparently.

I get what you're saying about Murray but still think it would've been worth the risk and for a 5th round pick who cares, at least he's a legit NHL dman and provides some depth and pairing options compared to what they have now.
Dec. 6, 2020 at 4:28 p.m.
Tbh, I think he definitely missed out on Murray but I’m not so sure I would even want teows. Hear me out

The expansion draft is in a year and we’d have 4 top 4 defensemen to protect. Obviously a team like the jetsxwoudlnt go 4 and 4 so that leaves someone to either be trades or exposed. Tbh, I try to trade teows at that point since we need demelo (we don’t have many rd prospects). I’ve been saying this since the jets drafted heinola but the jets don’t need a long term #2 ld option. Sure having too many top 4 d-man is a good problem to have but chevy isn’t the type to get into problems like that, especially if he’s giving 2 seconds to get him in the first place, which was a steal but still 2 seconds still isn’t nothing. They need a stopgap option. Therefore, with heinola, Samberg, and/or niku all possibly being ready for top 4 minutes now, I don’t think getting teows as a RFA would be worth the price for the jets all that much. Also teows isn’t all that big so I’m not so sure I want to add the the jets’s already small d-core

As for Murray, WTF were u doing chevy????????? Even if you don’t want him on the jets (though I really do), you get him and flip him for more like the sharks did with Hoffman a few years back
Dec. 6, 2020 at 4:32 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Oops I see I typo'd that and put devoting instead of demoting.. Lol

Honestly I think unless there's an injury Riikola gets sent to the AHL and he clears easily, regardless I know Rutherford had interest in Lowry before and I'm sure he would of figured something out to acquire him if Chevy made a call, the Jets love Lowry though unfortunately and the reality is they wouldn't of traded him, they value a ****ty plug player over improving their ****ty D core apparently.

I get what you're saying about Murray but still think it would've been worth the risk and for a 5th round pick who cares, at least he's a legit NHL dman and provides some depth and pairing options compared to what they have now.

I watch a lot of CBJ games, the guy is always hurt. He's made of glass. It's like acquiring Bjugstad. You can expect he'll be on IR.
That doesn't help you win games, it just eats up your cap and prevents you from making other moves.
In this environment Riikola might slip through, no doubt. But they would rather send Chad down. They got issues well beyond this though.
Is there gonna be a AHL season, if not what do they do with guys who are close to playing like Maniscalco and POJ. I mean there might be movement on that bottom defense anyway.
So I'm sure they can open cap if they needed to. But at the same point in time, I'm not sure he's a move they make. He's definitely not the get faster they are looking for.
But it doesn't matter. Murray is not your guy.
Vatanen or Hamonic are better options for you, and both are still available. Both of which probably come cheaper and cost you no assets on 1 year deals.
Dec. 6, 2020 at 4:35 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: arafay
Tbh, I think he definitely missed out on Murray but I’m not so sure I would even want teows. Hear me out

The expansion draft is in a year and we’d have 4 top 4 defensemen to protect. Obviously a team like the jetsxwoudlnt go 4 and 4 so that leaves someone to either be trades or exposed. Tbh, I try to trade teows at that point since we need demelo (we don’t have many rd prospects). I’ve been saying this since the jets drafted heinola but the jets don’t need a long term #2 ld option. Sure having too many top 4 d-man is a good problem to have but chevy isn’t the type to get into problems like that, especially if he’s giving 2 seconds to get him in the first place, which was a steal but still 2 seconds still isn’t nothing. They need a stopgap option. Therefore, with heinola, Samberg, and/or niku all possibly being ready for top 4 minutes now, I don’t think getting teows as a RFA would be worth the price for the jets all that much. Also teows isn’t all that big so I’m not so sure I want to add the the jets’s already small d-core

As for Murray, WTF were u doing chevy????????? Even if you don’t want him on the jets (though I really do), you get him and flip him for more like the sharks did with Hoffman a few years back

teams are worried about flipping players. There is talk of 2 week mandatory quarantine if that effects players being traded, it's a **** show.
GMs have stated this. They don't think there will be many in season trades. It just causes too many roster problems.
Dec. 6, 2020 at 4:43 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: pharrow
I watch a lot of CBJ games, the guy is always hurt. He's made of glass. It's like acquiring Bjugstad. You can expect he'll be on IR.
That doesn't help you win games, it just eats up your cap and prevents you from making other moves.
In this environment Riikola might slip through, no doubt. But they would rather send Chad down. They got issues well beyond this though.
Is there gonna be a AHL season, if not what do they do with guys who are close to playing like Maniscalco and POJ. I mean there might be movement on that bottom defense anyway.
So I'm sure they can open cap if they needed to. But at the same point in time, I'm not sure he's a move they make. He's definitely not the get faster they are looking for.
But it doesn't matter. Murray is not your guy.
Vatanen or Hamonic are better options for you, and both are still available. Both of which probably come cheaper and cost you no assets on 1 year deals.

I'm not sure about an AHL season but would they create some kind of expanded rosters where guys can be shuffled to the main and secondary roster as needed to meet the cap without having to clear waivers, they'll have to do something and if there's no AHL season and the NHL season is condensed they're probably going to need to do something like that plus they'll need the spare bodies, idk but just a guess/idea/theory.

Not sure if Vatanen would sign in Winnipeg and Hamonic probably wants term, Murray might of been the perfect stopgap for the Jets with Samberg, Heinola and many other LHD prospects in the waiting even with Murray's injury history, it's the law of averages, at some point he's gotta get through a season without a major injury.. Lol

I get your point though, thanks for the feedback!
Dec. 6, 2020 at 4:48 p.m.
MisstheWhalers

I get what you're saying about the expansion draft but I think it's simple and you don't protect DeMelo.

In reality I think there's some trade coming with Seattle no matter what.
Dec. 6, 2020 at 5:08 p.m.
Cold spaghetti

Toews performed like a top pair guy for the islanders last year. He would’ve been our best defenceman it’s pretty embarrassing to get beat by a divisional rival for 2 2nd round picks when our defence is this bad

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll