Forums/Armchair-GM

GMJR Can we please get a decent 3rd line already

Created by: Pens3lieve
Team: 2020-21 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 6, 2020
Published: Dec. 7, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
can GMJR sign someone or trade more of the future to try to fix the 3rd line???

I think haula would be a nice add is he can fit into the cap situation which could be made better by trading Sceviour if necessary.

I'm not trying to recreate HBK but if Rusty has reinvented himself and can become a 25-30 goal scorer consistently, then we could shuffle some players around to try to be able to roll 4 lines.

If rust can drive a line with a better #3C and a LW spot up for competition and you can shuffle in and out McCann/Erod/Jankowski/Tanev/Poulin and O'Connor (if ready) it's an idea. we need a good 3rd line and being top-6 heavy won't accomplish that.

notes about potential lines:
-I'd prefer to keep guentzel on the left although it would be nice to see McCann get another top-6 shot.
-IDK if Poulin is ready but I'd love to see him get a shot. having Poulin and maybe a better #3C would give our always changing but never improving 3rd line a better chance to succeed.
-I'm not in favour of breaking up the buzzsaw as I think there's more offense there.
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,650,000
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$79,126,009$0$850,000$2,373,991
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$2,940,000$2,940,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
C, LW
RFA - 4
$2,650,000$2,650,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
UFA - 3
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
UFA - 6
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,150,000$1,150,000
LD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW
UFA - 2
$853,333$853,333 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RD
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 7, 2020 at 2:35 p.m.
Hockey IQ
BradTolliverGoalie liked this.
Dec. 7, 2020 at 2:56 p.m.
Yup sign me up
Pens3lieve liked this.
Dec. 7, 2020 at 3:13 p.m.
I feel haula makes so much sense that it would've happened by now if it was going to.
BradTolliverGoalie liked this.
Dec. 7, 2020 at 3:45 p.m.
might i interest you in alex kerfoot

all it'll cost is a 1st round pick, a top forward prospect, and an AHL vet, if you don't mind

just kidding, a third liner would never fetch that much
Dec. 7, 2020 at 4:12 p.m.
I don’t think Kappy is a good on Geno line. Kappy is fast as hell. Sid and Guentzel play fast. It why Zucker struggled on Geno’s line last year. And played well on Sid’s line. He plays fast. Amd why Kessel struggled on Geno’s line. And Ya, Geno is fast too. But he plays more of Bully ball hockey. Sid does best with fast line mates. Malkin does best with guys like Rust, Hornqvist, Ignila. I don’t think you can take Rust off Malkins line. And putting Kappy on his right isn’t the best idea IMO either. I like the top 6 how it is. Zucker playing with Geno is the only question mark. And I don’t see him moving unless we sign Geno’s buddy Kovalchuk. I think McCann has to stay on that 3rd line LW. Although I like McCann and I’m a fan. I think he can play top 6, just not with how this team is constructed. We defiantly need more Right-handed shots. It’s why I like Legare chances more than Poulin’s this year. And Legare scored 3 goals in 2 preseason games last year. I think he fits on that 3rd line RW. Him or Poulin.
Pens3lieve liked this.
Dec. 7, 2020 at 4:16 p.m.
Edited Dec. 7, 2020 at 4:28 p.m.
Quoting: Lyle_Bubas

all it'll cost is a 1st round pick, a top forward prospect, and an AHL vet, if you don't mind

Who’s a top forward prospect?? I love that narrative? Our farm system is so bad, but when we trade the 4th-5th best prospect in our system suddenly he’s a top prospect..lol. But Legare and PO-Joseph who both are way better prospects than Hallander arnt good prospects. But now that Hallander is in their system. A bottom 6 LW, he’s a top prsopect.
Dec. 7, 2020 at 4:27 p.m.
Quoting: PGHBOB69
Who’s a top forward prospect?? I love that narrative? Our farm system is so bad, but when we trade the 4th-5th best prospect in our system suddenly he’s a top prospect..lol.

a 2 way centre/winger who's big, skilled, and a good skater who's already putting up points vs. men in the SHL, playing 1st line minutes on a team that was first in their league - that's pretty impressive

he's not a top forward prospect compared to other teams, but in both the leafs and pens systems, he's up there

https://theleafsnation.com/2020/12/07/filip-hallander-is-the-leafs-5th-ranked-prospect/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
PGHBOB69 liked this.
Dec. 7, 2020 at 4:30 p.m.
Edited Dec. 7, 2020 at 4:40 p.m.
a 2 way centre/winger who's big, skilled, and a good skater who's already putting up points vs. men in the SHL is pretty valuable

he's not a top forward prospect compared to other team's, but in both the leafs and pens systems, he's up there

https://theleafsnation.com/2020/12/07/filip-hallander-is-the-leafs-5th-ranked-prospect/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Ya, man. Very nice. I’ve been following him since he was drafted. When u had no clue who he was. Great, I’m a fan!! I hope he works out. He’s a bottom 6 LW ceiling. He was in pittsburgh. And not our 3rd best prospect. Our 4th or 5th in a bad, top heavy System. Please don’t try and school me on a prospect u just found out about 6 months ago. I would be willing to guess, I’m a lot more versed on his prospect status. As u are with Leafs prospects. A prospect u read one article on. Today. And he’s a top prospect. He’s 2 to 3 years away from contributing at an NHL level. Your article today even says that. And he’s tough, plays in front of net. Not huge a huge guy, like Hornqvist. I said that from the beginning to any Leafs fan that would listen. He’s not a Center. A good -two way, LW, that plays in front on net and plays tough. Something the leafs are lacking. He’s a good prospect for them. But a “C+” prospect. “B-“ at best.
chungus liked this.
Dec. 7, 2020 at 4:37 p.m.
Quoting: PGHBOB69
Ya, man. Very nice. I’ve been following him since he was drafted. When u had no clue who he was. Great, I’m a fan!! I hope he works out. He’s a bottom 6 LW ceiling. He was in pittsburgh. And not our 3rd best prospect. Our 4th or 5th in a bad, top heavy System. Please don’t try and school me on a prospect u just found out about 6 months ago. I would be willing to guess, I’m a lot more versed on his prospect status. As u are with Leafs prospects. A prospect u read one article on. Today. And he’s a top prospect.

No doubt you know much more about him than I do, but still - he's a solid prospect, one whom we didn't have before. The leafs had a pretty dried out prospect pool as well, especially among forwards. Amirov/Hallander are welcome additions. Better to have someone than no one
PGHBOB69 liked this.
Dec. 7, 2020 at 4:44 p.m.
NoWah49
to be fair, you're only making one change to the team. Taking Rusty out of the top 6 might take away from Genos point production and who knows about Poulin
Pens3lieve liked this.
Dec. 7, 2020 at 4:52 p.m.
No doubt you know much more about him than I do, but still - he's a solid prospect, one whom we didn't have before. The leafs had a pretty dried out prospect pool as well, especially among forwards. Amirov/Hallander are welcome additions. Better to have someone than no one

I agree. I’m a fan!! Have been since he was drafted. But the article is alittle bit written with rose colored glasses too. He was never considered a top 3 prospect for us. 3rd Iine LW. Bottom 6, middle 6. And that’s good, solid prospect. Nothing wrong with that. And He’s 2 to 3 years away from contributing at an NHL level. Your article today even says that. And he’s tough, plays in front of net. Not huge a huge guy, like Hornqvist. I said that from the beginning, to any Leafs fan that would listen. He’s not a Center. A good -two way, LW, that plays in front on net and plays tough. Something the leafs are lacking. He’s a good prospect for them. But a “C+” prospect. “B-“ at best.

But ya, our system is loaded with those guys. Guys bigger than him too. And better goal scorers and playmakers. Poulin is 6’3, 210, Legare is 6’0, 205, Drew OcCoonor is 6’3, 190, Judd Caulfield is 6’3, 205, Angello is 6’5 210, and there’s 3 more just like them, Bjorkqvist, Zohorna, J.Gruden. Leafs system is lacking that type of player. Penguins system lacking the smaller, speed 1st, winger types. Great prospect for the Leafs. Easier path to the NHL. Expendable for the Penguins. I would be very surprised if he was a top 6 winger for more than an injury replacement or on a bad team. Not a top 6 on a good, play-off team. And like I said, thats ok, Leafs are lacking that type of player in their system. He’s tough. Plays tough. Has an NHL future. Good prospect. Not a top prospect though.
chungus and Pens3lieve liked this.
Dec. 7, 2020 at 6:07 p.m.
Hockey IQ
a 2 way centre/winger who's big, skilled, and a good skater who's already putting up points vs. men in the SHL, playing 1st line minutes on a team that was first in their league - that's pretty impressive

he's not a top forward prospect compared to other teams, but in both the leafs and pens systems, he's up there

@PGHBOB69

guys I think Hallander is a fine prospect even though I don't know a ton about him. he's not quite as good as some toronto media have hyped him up to be but not quite as much of a long shot as some PIT fans think.
rn I'd say he's a B- Prospect probably. (for comparison I'd put Amirov at a A- and Poulin at an A- as well.)
chungus liked this.
Dec. 7, 2020 at 6:08 p.m.
Hockey IQ

I was actually very interested in kerfoot last year b4 TOR got him. I'd still take him except for his cap hit which we prob can't afford....
chungus liked this.
Dec. 7, 2020 at 6:08 p.m.
Hockey IQ
Quoting: Theozler
I feel haula makes so much sense that it would've happened by now if it was going to.

but the market froze though.....there's still alot of players out there so all interested teams will have a fair shot at landing someone decent....
Dec. 7, 2020 at 6:09 p.m.
Hockey IQ
Quoting: NoWah49
to be fair, you're only making one change to the team. Taking Rusty out of the top 6 might take away from Genos point production and who knows about Poulin

yeah very true. I was just thinking of ways to drive a 3rd line and wondering if Rusty could do it...
I hope Poulin is ready. he's looked awesome the last year+
NoWah49 liked this.
Dec. 7, 2020 at 6:45 p.m.
Quoting: Pens3lieve
@PGHBOB69

guys I think Hallander is a fine prospect even though I don't know a ton about him. he's not quite as good as some toronto media have hyped him up to be but not quite as much of a long shot as some PIT fans think.
rn I'd say he's a B- Prospect probably. (for comparison I'd put Amirov at a A- and Poulin at an A- as well.)

Ya, I think he’s has an NHL future. A solid prospect!! Like I said, I’m a fan. Been following him since he was drafted. I don’t know what else to say though. Solid prospect!! Him being a 5th-6th best prospect is your system is great. He’s was our 5th or 6th best also. We have had Poulin, PO-Joseph and Legare in our system as our top 3 ahead of Hallander. He was never a top 3 in our system. Again, that’s not knocking him. Just facts. And we had Calen Addison who we traded at the TDL last year(and a 1st round pick) for Zucker. C.Addison was a top 75 prospect in the NHL. Legare and Poulin have top 6 potential. PO-Jospeh is a top 4 LHD, and PP and PK potential. Calen Addison is a top 4 RHD, PP point potential.

D.O’Connor(6’3,190), Judd Caulfield(6’3, 205), Amgello(6’5, 210), Bjornqvist(6’1, 190), all are the same type of prospect as Hallander. Play the same way. Have an NHL future, but at 22-23-24 years old, and bottom 6, middle 6 winger ceiling. Solid prospects, not top prospects though. Again, solid prospect though!! I don’t know what else I can say, but they never were and probably never will be top prospects. But that’s ok. Again, it’s not a knock. It’s just reality. The only prospect in our system besides Maniscalco(who was just signed as a college FA), that is a “B”, “B+” prospect and has top 6 potential is V.Puustinen. And look at his stats in Liiga compared to Hallanders in the SHL. Which are comparable leagues. And see who u think has top 6 potential and why?? It’ll stand out like a sore thumb. V.Puustinen is a legit top 6 wing prospect, a “B”, “B+” prospect, playing against men, plying on the 1st line, and producing. Like Hallander, but just at a greater pace. But they are different types of players too.

Legare, and Poulin are great too. But the Q is much different competition. They should be putting up over a PPG. Justin Almeida has 100 points in both seasons he played in the CHL too. And I would be happy if he became a 3C. I think he was in the WHL. But all the same, I think the Q, WHL, and OHL, all part of the Canadian hockey league. @Lyle_Bubas would probably know better. But as far as I know, the Q, WHL, and OHL are are similar. But KHL, SHL, and Liiga(and the AHL) are all way better competition with grown men and top prospects playing together.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/293387/filip-hallander

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/332963/valtteri-puustinen
Pens3lieve liked this.
Dec. 7, 2020 at 7:32 p.m.
Banned

i'll give you a 7th for him if you retain 50%, I don't want that contract for 3 years.

If this team was going to sign Haula then why hasn't it happened by now. I mean, the numbers are what they are, they aren't going to change. They have given him their best offer at this point. He's either taking it or he isn't.
I think one of the issues we have is the reality we might be seeing a lot more youth than I think most fans are expecting. No CHL, possibly no AHL, means guys are going to be making jumps earlier than what people expect.
Me might be looking at much different lines than what we expect. McCann at center and guys like O'Connor or Legare taking roster spots.
At this point I'm just penciling in Poulin. I don't see any way around it. He needs to play, he's so close, he's gonna get a shot to figure it out.
Pens3lieve liked this.
Dec. 7, 2020 at 11:15 p.m.
timsmith8766
I think similar to Jake, Rusty has found a home on Geno's wing and just simply the chemistry they had there before the shutdown I don't want to break that up. Haula is definitely an upgrade and very much needed, but can GMJR lure him to the team compared to other suitors. I'm not opposed to giving young guys like Poulin, POJ and O'connor a shot but Sully won't take out a regular roster player to allow them the chance to play. I was reading an Athletic article today and some beliefs are going around that Sully is starting to hold the team back. I mean if you look at his timeline compared to Bylsma's, Pens disappoint in 18-19 and 19-20 like in 09-10, 10-11 & 11-12. Then comes that 2013 team that got rolled by Boston. Afraid that we will go all in again and poor coaching and defensive play (in all aspects) will lead to another major disappointment again.
Dec. 8, 2020 at 9:30 a.m.
Hockey IQ
Quoting: penslover8771
I think similar to Jake, Rusty has found a home on Geno's wing and just simply the chemistry they had there before the shutdown I don't want to break that up. Haula is definitely an upgrade and very much needed, but can GMJR lure him to the team compared to other suitors. I'm not opposed to giving young guys like Poulin, POJ and O'connor a shot but Sully won't take out a regular roster player to allow them the chance to play. I was reading an Athletic article today and some beliefs are going around that Sully is starting to hold the team back. I mean if you look at his timeline compared to Bylsma's, Pens disappoint in 18-19 and 19-20 like in 09-10, 10-11 & 11-12. Then comes that 2013 team that got rolled by Boston. Afraid that we will go all in again and poor coaching and defensive play (in all aspects) will lead to another major disappointment again.

With Bylsma there were some egregious errors like playing Iginla 3rd line etc....
Sullivan is pretty good. he is still preaching the same system but alot of players have refused to play it until they HAVE to and injuries to stars dictate they have to. how could the team win last year with only 1 good offensive line at times? bc the other 3 3rd lines played the system to a T. they played hard, forechecked, and got just enough offense to put us over the top most nights.
I put this one on the players.
Dec. 9, 2020 at 9:50 a.m.
Hockey God Genius
I agree 100% about Haula

*** Pens fans need to start being Realistic, If Poulin is on the Team Canada Roster bubble - Its time to stop putting him on this roster.
He could be an end of yr guy that comes in & plays 10-15 gms tho.

IMO, The Pens are a 3C, a Top 9 Forward, & a back-up Goalie from being a Playoff Team.

BC rite now w/ our current Roster, This is NOT a playoff Team.

All the Bad Trades & bad moves (Altho I liked the Kappy & Mathy deals) all will come crashing down this yr w/ this horrible bottom 6 & a 33yr & 34yr old 87 & 71 having to carry the team.

** Its very sad how this team has been so poorly mis-managed since the last Cup bc I still think 87, 71, & 58 have at least 2 to 3 Great yrs left.

IDK maybe this franchise knows the window is closed bc This is when we should have the most help around the Core 3 but instead they just threw spare parts & #13 Forwards at the bottom 6??

I see a 19'-20' Sharks team in this Pens Current Roster w/ MIN being OTT & taking a Top 5 pick from us.
Dec. 9, 2020 at 2:42 p.m.
Hockey IQ
Quoting: Sidstick87
I agree 100% about Haula

*** Pens fans need to start being Realistic, If Poulin is on the Team Canada Roster bubble - Its time to stop putting him on this roster.
He could be an end of yr guy that comes in & plays 10-15 gms tho.

IMO, The Pens are a 3C, a Top 9 Forward, & a back-up Goalie from being a Playoff Team.

BC rite now w/ our current Roster, This is NOT a playoff Team.

All the Bad Trades & bad moves (Altho I liked the Kappy & Mathy deals) all will come crashing down this yr w/ this horrible bottom 6 & a 33yr & 34yr old 87 & 71 having to carry the team.

** Its very sad how this team has been so poorly mis-managed since the last Cup bc I still think 87, 71, & 58 have at least 2 to 3 Great yrs left.

IDK maybe this franchise knows the window is closed bc This is when we should have the most help around the Core 3 but instead they just threw spare parts & #13 Forwards at the bottom 6??

I see a 19'-20' Sharks team in this Pens Current Roster w/ MIN being OTT & taking a Top 5 pick from us.

I hope not.....

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll