Forums/Armchair-GM

TB would have to do this

Created by: PGHBOB69
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 10, 2020
Published: Dec. 10, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Same reasons as the last ACGM I posted but changed Dermott for J.Holl. TB saves more cap space and gets a cheap Defensive option this year. They can definitely move R.McDonough now and not have a huge drop off. And a lot cheaper option in Dermott

I don’t know how highly Peeke is thought of for Columbus. I know he was good in college at ND and should compete for a roster spot this year. Or AHL at worst. I know he’s not one of their top 5 prospects too. And I know they need a top 6 LW addition. And kerfoot can definitely be that. Reasonable 3.5M contract and the contract looks even better if he plays in the top 6. IMO, and I think most people’s, he’s a better LW than a Center.
Trades
TOR
  1. Killorn, Alex ($1,450,000 retained)
TBL
  1. Dermott, Travis
  2. 2022 3rd round pick (TOR)
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$81,438,950$0$850,000$61,050
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$821,667$821,667
LW, RW
RFA - 4
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 1
$1,645,000$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 10, 2020 at 7:38 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Peeke is highly thought of in Columbus. He will more then likely be replacing Savard next year. They have no need for Kerfoot. Why do you want to add another player to block Liljegren’s path? Can’t see TB retaining any salary on the players they need to move out. I really like both players but these trades don’t make any sense for either team.
Ritzy liked this.
Dec. 10, 2020 at 7:39 a.m.
Edited Dec. 10, 2020 at 7:47 a.m.
Quoting: LeafsfanMathews
Peeke is highly thought of in Columbus. He will more then likely be replacing Savard next year. They have no need for Kerfoot. Why do you want to add another player to block Liljegren’s path? Can’t see TB retaining any salary on the players they need to move out. I really like both players but these trades don’t make any sense for either team.

Ok, I do. If u read my other ACGM. The description has my reasons.i know alittle bit about Peeke from college and playing at ND. He isn’t even a top 5-6 prospect in their system though. I can’t imagine him being thought of that highly. And Columbus is definitely in need of a LW. A top 6 LW. Its why they are trying to sign Hoffman.
Dec. 10, 2020 at 7:46 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: PGHBOB69
Ok, I do. If u read my other ACGM. The description has my reasons. Peeke isn’t a top 5-6 prospect in their system. I can’t imagine him being thought of that highly.

As a former second-round pick, he was always billed as someone who could be a shutdown defenseman given his physicality, size and ability to play with his stick. But the past two seasons have proved there might be some offensive upside to he’s game. He possesses the size (6'3), skating ability, and offensive instincts to play at the highest level. NHL-caliber right-handed defensemen don't grow on trees, and the Blue Jackets are fortunate to have three bonafide righties in Jones, Savard, and Peeke. Trust me, he is well liked in the Bluejackets organization. But once @Ajp_18 sees your post, he can tell you more.
Ajp_18 and PGHBOB69 liked this.
Dec. 10, 2020 at 7:52 a.m.
Banned
Zero chance of Julien BriseBois eating $1.45 million of Alex Killorn's contract for the next 3 years, If you can't afford his full cap then you've no business trading for him in the first place.
Jim_Benning_Almost liked this.
Dec. 10, 2020 at 7:53 a.m.
Peeke is hands down the number one d prospect Columbus has, the reason he isn’t listed as a top prospect on some of the things you read online is the fact that he played NHL games last year. Peeke is also the only top 4 potential d prospect Columbus really has and will most likely replace Savard following next season due to cap reasons for us to keep other key players.

Not to mention with now too many centers Columbus has no room for Kerfoot. Who could be a waste of money and assets to fill any sort of top 6 wing role with Hoffman and Granlund still being UFAs.

This trade is very highly unlikely for a Columbus standpoint.
MatthewsFan, PGHBOB69, BigDaddyOvech and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 10, 2020 at 7:57 a.m.
Edited Dec. 10, 2020 at 8:14 a.m.
Quoting: Ajp_18
Peeke is hands down the number one d prospect Columbus has, the reason he isn’t listed as a top prospect on some of the things you read online is the fact that he played NHL games last year. Peeke is also the only top 4 potential d prospect Columbus really has and will most likely replace Savard following next season due to cap reasons for us to keep other key players.

Not to mention with now too many centers Columbus has no room for Kerfoot. Who could be a waste of money and assets to fill any sort of top 6 wing role with Hoffman and Granlund still being UFAs.

Quoting: Ajp_18

As a former second-round pick, he was always billed as someone who could be a shutdown defenseman given his physicality, size and ability to play with his stick. But the past two seasons have proved there might be some offensive upside to he’s game. He possesses the size (6'3), skating ability, and offensive instincts to play at the highest level. NHL-caliber right-handed defensemen don't grow on trees, and the Blue Jackets are fortunate to have three bonafide righties in Jones, Savard, and Peeke. Trust me, he is well liked in the Bluejackets organization. But once @Ajp_18 sees your post, he can tell you more.

Good deal!! Thanks. Like I said, I was just familiar with him from college and ND. I knew he was a good and a bigger Defensemen.

But I also know Columbus is in need of a LW. That’s why I choose them. And Kerfoot is a better LW than Center, IMO. And if Columbus misses out on Hoffman. Kerfoort would be a really good option IMO. At a reasonable 3.5M. Even more reasonable as a top 6 LW.

But it wouldn’t have to be Columbus. Anywhere that’s needs Kerfoort and get a Defensemen back for the depth from trading away Dermott.

I think the Lines of Hyman/Matthews/Marner and Killorn/Tavares/Nylander are very dangerous. Killorn is a slightly better Hyman. And if Hyman leaves next year in FA, then the Leafs still have Killorn

And IMO, if TB wants to move Killorn or TJ, retaining from each would be the easiest way. Killorn at 3.45M or 3M looks a lot better than 4.35M. Same with TJ at 4M instead of 5M. Those are reasonable numbers IMO. And they still get their cap space. And a cheap Defensive option in Dermott so they can try and move McDonough.
Dec. 10, 2020 at 8:04 a.m.
Edited Dec. 10, 2020 at 8:15 a.m.
Quoting: DiehardRedWingsFan58
Zero chance of Julien BriseBois eating $1.45 million of Alex Killorn's contract for the next 3 years, If you can't afford his full cap then you've no business trading for him in the first place.

We’ll see. I don’t think that’s your choice my man. IMO, to trade TJ they are gonna have to retain atleast 1M. But we’ll see. Just my opinion. Like yours is they won’t need to.
Dec. 10, 2020 at 8:12 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Good deal!! Thanks. Like I said, I was just familiar with him from college and ND. I knew he was a good and a bigger Defensemen. But I also know Columbus is in need of a LW. That’s why I choose them. And Kerfoot is a better LW than Center, IMO. And if Columbus misses out on Hoffman. Kerfoort would be a really good option IMO. At a reasonable 3.5M. Even more reasonable as a top 6 LW.

But it wouldn’t have to be Columbus. Anywhere that’s needs Kerfoort and get a Defensemen back for the depth from trading away Dermott.

I think the Lines of Hyman/Matthews/Marner and Killorn/Tavares/Nylander are very dangerous. Killorn is a slightly better Hyman. And if Hyman leaves next in FA, then u still have Killorn

And IMO, if TB wants to move Killorn or TJ, retaining from each would be the easiest way. Killorn at 3.45M or 3M looks a lot better. Same with TJ at 4M. Those are reasonable numbers IMO.

Yup Alex would be a great fit on the Leafs. But again with Cernak and Cirelli needing new contracts and TB already up against the Cap, retaining salary is something the can’t afford to do. And they still need to fill out a roster with league mins. As for Kerfoot can’t see him going anywhere now. Rosters are pretty much set plus there is still some quality UFAs that can be had for cheap
Dec. 10, 2020 at 8:15 a.m.
Kilhorn has way more value than that.

Even though TB needs to move some salaries out and Dermott would be a nice lge minimum young guy to bring in, the salary retention wouldn't happen.

After moving Johnson and kapanen, TOR is running out of mid-priced/salaried assets. Kerfoot and Hyman are really the only tradeable guys left between 1.7mil and 5mil
PGHBOB69 liked this.
Dec. 10, 2020 at 8:22 a.m.
Ok, I do. If u read my other ACGM. The description has my reasons.i know alittle bit about Peeke from college and playing at ND. He isn’t even a top 5-6 prospect in their system though. I can’t imagine him being thought of that highly. And Columbus is definitely in need of a LW. A top 6 LW. Its why they are trying to sign Hoffman.

If Columbus needs a top 6 LW just trade Peeke for Killorn...
Dec. 10, 2020 at 8:26 a.m.
sbinalla
i do not want killorn after what happened after the stanley cup celabration
Dec. 10, 2020 at 8:26 a.m.
sbinalla
Quoting: maplelaughs2297
i do not want killorn after what happened after the stanley cup celabration

plus tampa does not accept
Dec. 10, 2020 at 8:27 a.m.
Edited Dec. 10, 2020 at 8:41 a.m.
Yup Alex would be a great fit on the Leafs. But again with Cernak and Cirelli needing new contracts and TB already up against the Cap, retaining salary is something the can’t afford to do. And they still need to fill out a roster with league mins. As for Kerfoot can’t see him going anywhere now. Rosters are pretty much set plus there is still some quality UFAs that can be had for cheap

Yep, like I said, if Columbus missed out on Hoffman. Kerfoot would be a good option IMO. And a reasonable one at 3.5M. They definitely need a Top 6 LW.

But the Kerfoot trade could be to anywhere that needs him really. It would just be for the cap space. I would rather Killorn and (whatever D-man comes back from the Killorn trade) than Dermott and Kerfoot. Toronto has 10 players just like Kerfoot. They need Killorn’s toughness on that 2nd line. And like I said, if Hyman leaves next year in FA, Killorn would still be there.

And IMO, it’s not a huge drop off at the 3C from Keefoort to Thornton. As long as Thornton can play 75-80% of the games.

And a 3 line of Robertson/Thornton/Simmons would be great for Robertson. No one could bully him around with Thornton and Simmons on his line. And if Robertson isn’t ready, then it’s Mikheyev/Thornton/Simmons. And Vesey/Spezza/Babaranov on the 4th line or Engvall at Center. Or Joey Anderson at RW. There are some options and depth still.

The Flat cap is really hurting teams. All
Those contracts were signed thinking the cap would increase. 5M a year for 4 more years for TJ is gonna be tough to move. I think they are gonna have to retain atleast 1M. Even if they give up a 1st round pick asset to dump his salary. And Killorn contract is a lot more reasonable at 3.45M or 3M per year than 4.35M. I don’t think teams will want to take that all on either. Even if TB has to retain something. They are still getting their cap space. And in this deal, getting a cheap option at D, in Dermott, so they can try and trade McDonough too. And it wouldn’t be a huge drop off.
Dec. 10, 2020 at 8:50 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Yep, like I said, if Columbus missed out on Hoffman. Kerfoot would be a good option IMO. And a reasonable one at 3.5M. They definitely need a Top 6 LW. But the Kerfoot trade could be to anywhere that needs him really. It would just be for the cap space. I would rather Killorn and (whatever D-man comes back from the Killorn trade) than Dermott and Kerfoot. Toronto has 10 players just like Kerfoot. They need Killorn’s toughness on that 2nd line. And like I said, if Hyman leaves next year in FA, Killorn would still be there.

And IMO, it’s not a huge drop off at the 3C from Keefoort to Thornton. As long as Thornton can play 75-80% of the games.

And a 3 line of Robertson/Thornton/Simmons would be great for Robertson. No one could bully him around with Thornton and Simmons on his line. And if Robertson isn’t ready, then it’s Mikheyev/Thornton/Simmons. And Vesey/Spezza/Babaranov on the 4th line or Engvall at Center. Or Joey Anderson at RW. There are some options and depth still.

The Flat cap is really hurting teams. All
Those contracts were signed thinking the cap would increase. 5M a year for 4 more years for TJ is gonna be tough to move. I think they are gonna have to retain atleast 1M. Even if they give up a 1st round pick asset to dump his salary. And Killorn contract is a lot more reasonable at 3.45M or 3M per year than 4.35M. I don’t think teams will want to take that on. Even if TB has to retain something. They are still getting their cap space. And in this deal, getting a cheap option at D, in Dermott, so they can try and trade McDonough too. And it wouldn’t be a huge drop off.

I mean if Columbus can’t get a Hoffman I really don’t think Kerfoot would be a plan B for them. One is an elite goal scorer which they want, the other is more of a defensive minded C/LW. Plus they have really good internal options (Bemstrome, Foudy) that are currently fighting for a spot.

And the teams rumoured to have interest in Alex and Tyler ( DET, NJD, NSH) all have plenty of cap space. TB won’t be retaining any salary IMO on any trades. They need the cap space!

And lastly Kerfoot is to valuable to the Leafs right now. I don’t think you can count on Joe being a full time 3C. Especially in a condensed season. We will need Kerfoot.

Like the players you traded for just doesn’t make sense for the teams involved
Dec. 10, 2020 at 9:02 a.m.
Edited Dec. 10, 2020 at 9:07 a.m.
I mean if Columbus can’t get a Hoffman I really don’t think Kerfoot would be a plan B for them. One is an elite goal scorer which they want, the other is more of a defensive minded C/LW. Plus they have really good internal options (Bemstrome, Foudy) that are currently fighting for a spot.

And the teams rumoured to have interest in Alex and Tyler ( DET, NJD, NSH) all have plenty of cap space. TB won’t be retaining any salary IMO on any trades. They need the cap space!

And lastly Kerfoot is to valuable to the Leafs right now. I don’t think you can count on Joe being a full time 3C. Especially in a condensed season. We will need Kerfoot.

Like the players you traded for just doesn’t make sense for the teams involved

Yep, I diasagree. I like the lines and pairings, I have much better. And if Columbus misses Hoffman. I think Kerfoot would be a good option. Not saying he’s on their radar. Just IMO he would be. Like I said, a better LW than a Center, IMO.

And I can see him playing that 2nd line LW for Toronto this year and Thornton being the 3rd line Center. Thorton still produces at a good 3C pace. Yes, of course he’s not a 100 point scorer anymore. But he’s a 40-50 point scorer if he plays 80% of the games, like I said.

I see him playing that 3C position anyways in Toronto. I think Kerfoot will be on a wing. And like I said, Toronto needs more players like Killorn, and that 2nd line would be so much more dangerous and tougher with him on it. And if Hyman leaves next year in FA, Killorn steps right in on the 1st Line LW.

And we’ll see about TB. I think they are gonna have to retain something on TJ, McDonough and Killorn. Along with adding assets to trade them. They still get their cap space if they retain 1M on TJ and Killorn. They get 7M in cap space still. And if they made this trade and then traded McDounough. They will even have enough cap room to give Dermort an extension next year if they want too. And this year, have Dermott and his cheap contract. I think it makes sense for both toronto and TB.
Dec. 10, 2020 at 9:05 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Yep, I diasagree. I like the lines and pairings, I have much better. And if Columbus misses Hoffman. I think Kerfoot would be a good option. Not saying he’s on their radar. Just IMO he would be. Like I said, a better LW than a Center, IMO.

And I can see him playing that 2nd line LW for Toronto this year and Thornton being the 3rd line Center. Thorton still produces at a good 3C pace. Yes, of course he’s not a 100 point scorer anymore. But he’s a 40-50 point scorer if he plays 80% of the games, like I said.

I see him playing that 3C position anyways in Toronto. I think Kerfoot will be on a wing. And like I said, Toronto needs more players like Killorn, and that 2nd line would be so much more dangerous and tougher with him on it. And if Hyman leaves next year in FA, Killorn steps right in on the 1st Line LW.

And we’ll see about TB. I think they are gonna have to retain something on TJ, McDonough and Killorn. Along with adding assets to trade them. They still get their cap space if they retain 1M on TJ and Killorn. They get 7M in cap space still. And if they did this and then traded McDounough. And still have Dermott and his cheap contract. I think it makes sense for bothering toronto and TB.

Ya dude, all good. Agree to disagree
PGHBOB69 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll