Forums/Armchair-GM

What Id like to see happen but wont

Created by: MisstheWhalers
Team: 2020-21 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 12, 2020
Published: Dec. 12, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
At this point this is what I'd like to see happen but I know it won't as the Jets organization loves Lowry, Chevy is too risk averse to do this(or almost anything most of the time) and Granlund likely chooses almost anywhere other then Winnipeg to sign with unfortunately.

I think if the Jets could convince Granlund to sign it'd be a good move for both sides, the Jets add a Finnish playmaker to play with Laine and Granlund gets to increase his numbers playing on the Jets top line with the hopes of finding a better payday next offseason, Winnipeg has goal scorers but not enough playmakers imo, think that's a decent contract for one season considering the market and season he had, doubt Granlund is going to get much more whether he signs a short or longer term deal, do think he'll be signing a short term deal though.

Drop Wheeler to the 3rd line for softer match ups and give Roslovic two veteran wingers to help him develop at center, if Perreault doesn't rebound move Harkins up or Copp, either would be fine, that'd be the Jets best 3rd line in a very long time and would hopefully be able to chip in offensively which is something the Jets have never had and has always been it's downfall imo.

That'd be a good 4th line, I checked and that Lowry trade fits for the Pens, if they'd rather keep Jankowski that's fine, just replace him with some other league minimum body, needs to be a forward though.

Signed Koekkoek as most everyone speaks well of him so why not.. Lol.. Honestly haven't watched a lot of him but the Jets defense is still not good and I'm sure he's an improvement over the guys they currently have, he was a former 1st round pick and isn't old so who knows, maybe it works well, at the very least adds another NHL dman and the Jets seem to get a lot of injuries to their dmen every year it seems, depth on D is good to have. Don't mind the guys the Jets added on D but if Koekkoek is better then Forbort then sign the guy. Samberg develops in the AHL for a year and Heinola stays in Finland playing top minutes and his ELC slides which will help in the long run.

To me there just isn't a quick fix to the Jets weak defense and it's NOT worth trading Ehlers, Laine or Connor for a dman in my opinion so building more offense through all the forward lines is what this team should be doing if it has aspirations of making the playoffs and trying to make some noise.
Run a more offense driven game with scoring throughout three lines, a not useless 4th line and try to get by with the defense you have until some prospects are hopefully ready to make the jump in another year or two. Would be tough to go anywhere with this defense but ya never know, teams have won/gone deep with pretty average D cores before though this defense is still worse then average I'd say.

So what say you CapFriendly critics, would this trade, signings and line shuffling help the Jets or would it make no difference at all, I look forward to your comments below but let's keep them constructive, thanks!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,125,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$3,275,000
1$1,000,000
Trades
WPG
  1. Jankowski, Mark
  2. Sceviour, Colton
  3. 2023 7th round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. Lowry, Adam
Additional Details:
Still think this could happen if the Jets weren't so in love with this plug and could see Rutherford making this deal, do know he was interested in Lowry before.
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$77,959,524$0$0$3,540,476
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$3,275,000$3,275,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$4,995,000$4,995,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 6
$6,500,000$6,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 5
$4,125,000$4,125,000
LW, RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,125,000$2,125,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$725,000$725,000
LW
UFA - 2
$2,280,000$2,280,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
UFA - 8
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 4
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,291,667$5,291,667
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 12, 2020 at 3:47 p.m.
Lowrys point totals are similar to Janos and they’re both good defensively. Seems like taking on more cap for a similar player
Dec. 12, 2020 at 3:51 p.m.
Not that this should matter MissTheWhalers but now that Lowry’s dad is an assistant coach do you think it even cements Lowry’s position on the Jets? I mean I am sure there was a conversation between Chevy and Coach Lowry about his son on the team.
Dec. 12, 2020 at 4:05 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: OttBeavers
Lowrys point totals are similar to Janos and they’re both good defensively. Seems like taking on more cap for a similar player

They are similar, could see Rutherford liking the thought of reuniting Lowry with Tanev is all, don't see this happening but think it's at least realistic and I do know Rutherford was interested in Lowry before so hence the proposed trade.
Dec. 12, 2020 at 4:09 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Not that this should matter MissTheWhalers but now that Lowry’s dad is an assistant coach do you think it even cements Lowry’s position on the Jets? I mean I am sure there was a conversation between Chevy and Coach Lowry about his son on the team.

Yes I do think hiring ol man Lowry cements Adam's position with the Jets which to me is unfortunate, I think he sucks and absolutely nothing will change with this team until he's gone but he isn't going anywhere now!

I predict Lowry will extend with the Jets a deal similar to what B.Tanev signed with the Pens.
Dec. 12, 2020 at 4:12 p.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Yes I do think hiring ol man Lowry cements Adam's position with the Jets which to me is unfortunate, I think he sucks and absolutely nothing will change with this team until he's gone but he isn't going anywhere now!

I predict Lowry will extend with the Jets a deal similar to what B.Tanev signed with the Pens.

But he has grit which the team desperately lacks. Calgary tried to run out of the rink in the playoffs. We miss Buff and Chiarot on the back end.
Dec. 12, 2020 at 4:33 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
But he has grit which the team desperately lacks. Calgary tried to run out of the rink in the playoffs. We miss Buff and Chiarot on the back end.

Nate Thompson has grit and makes $700K, this team needs a 3rd line that can produce like an average 3rd line can, not some overpaid plug like Lowry who struggles to get to 20 points while playing as many minutes as Ehlers does!

I agree that this team needs some grit/muscle/toughness and misses the big dmen they had just a couple seasons ago but keeping and giving Lowry a raise isn't going to make them any better, in fact it'll make them worse.

Teams can do well with pricey bottom 6 players but the Jets need to keep their high priced talent and spend some cap space on the back end, no way I'd keep Lowry around when the league is littered with cheap toughness/depth but I'm sure that's what they'll do, Maurice has a hard on for Lowry for some reason, he loves dead weight players for some reason.
Dec. 12, 2020 at 5:56 p.m.
I know more than you
This is a steal for the Penguins.
MisstheWhalers and Missouri liked this.
Dec. 12, 2020 at 6:24 p.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
Quoting: Dpellz90

Totally Lowry is a solid and very underrated player.
Dec. 12, 2020 at 6:24 p.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
Penguins accept but idk Jets would probably decline.
Dec. 12, 2020 at 6:30 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: Dpellz90

Call up JR and put the bug in his ear to get this done then!.. Lol
Dec. 12, 2020 at 6:31 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: Missouri
Totally Lowry is a solid and very underrated player.

He's terrible and overrated.
Dec. 12, 2020 at 6:46 p.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
He's terrible and overrated.

lol laugh Clearly this guy doesn't watch hockey.

Lowry has been one of the best defensive centers in the league. Sure he doesn't put up points but his work on the penalty kill is solid and not to mention in the last 6 years that he has been on the team he has not has a season with a +/- in the negatives. (Excluding this season) (-4)

He is a big body, physical game play, great 3rd line guy who puts up 20-30 pts per season.

This scouting report proves my reasoning...

"Has a tremendous frame (6-5, 210 pounds), and he knows how to use his size effectively. Is versatile enough to play either center or wing. Can be a factor on both special teams. Lacks game-to-game consistency and needs to make better adjustments to the highest level. Also, he needs to learn to shoot the puck more in order to produce more offense."

Link to full article: http://www.sportsforecaster.com/nhl/player/8683

Now that we have cleared the air on how underrated and very solid he is... I suggest you watch over him and other players for that matter more closely before making statements. Also check out the website I sent you, its a very cool and proven scouting tool! I used it when I was GM in the CapFriendly's GM Game!
Dec. 12, 2020 at 7:10 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: Missouri
lol laugh Clearly this guy doesn't watch hockey.

Lowry has been one of the best defensive centers in the league. Sure he doesn't put up points but his work on the penalty kill is solid and not to mention in the last 6 years that he has been on the team he has not has a season with a +/- in the negatives. (Excluding this season) (-4)

He is a big body, physical game play, great 3rd line guy who puts up 20-30 pts per season.

This scouting report proves my reasoning...

"Has a tremendous frame (6-5, 210 pounds), and he knows how to use his size effectively. Is versatile enough to play either center or wing. Can be a factor on both special teams. Lacks game-to-game consistency and needs to make better adjustments to the highest level. Also, he needs to learn to shoot the puck more in order to produce more offense."

Link to full article: http://www.sportsforecaster.com/nhl/player/8683

Now that we have cleared the air on how underrated and very solid he is... I suggest you watch over him and other players for that matter more closely before making statements. Also check out the website I sent you, its a very cool and proven scouting tool! I used it when I was GM in the CapFriendly's GM Game!

Yeah I've maybe missed two of his games he's played since he's entered the league, he's terrible, you need to watch him more closely rather then taking the word of some stupid site.

He's never gotten to the 30 point mark yet playing a lot of minutes, if that's what your 3C is putting up then I hate to tell you but sorry your 3rd line sucks!

He's slow, can't keep up, has one of the weakest shots in the league even though he is big and is an offensive black hole, he's a replacement level 4th liner.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 9:59 a.m.
I've got no problem with Adam Lowry, I just dont like the way he's used by Maurice.
Ideally, he's your 4th line C or a winger on the 3rd. Put him on the PK, in defensive situations and let him drop the gloves when needed.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 11:36 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: masterjuddi
I've got no problem with Adam Lowry, I just dont like the way he's used by Maurice.
Ideally, he's your 4th line C or a winger on the 3rd. Put him on the PK, in defensive situations and let him drop the gloves when needed.

Sure but you can't tell me this team isn't better though.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll