C
UFA - 4
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$730,833$730,833 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
UFA - 6
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$737,500$737,500
LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Florida Panthers
$817,500$817,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
C
UFA - 1
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$810,000$810,000
C
RFA - 4
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Who's Better right now?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Dec. 14, 2020 at 3:25 p.m.
GO LEAFS GO
Dec. 14, 2020 at 3:26 p.m.
Are we talking right now or overall career? Nvm
Dec. 14, 2020 at 3:29 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
you cant compare a wing to a center. The roles are not the same. If Matthews or Eichel were RW's then yes you could make that comparison but they dont so its invalid.

Eichel and Matthews can be compared but Kane is a RW so the comparison goes no where

The real comparison should be Matthews vs. Eichel
bhavikp27 liked this.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 3:29 p.m.
Banned
matthews rn, kane career
Dec. 14, 2020 at 3:33 p.m.
Breadman likes Bread
Eichel Right now, but Kane has had an amazing career.
SociallyHawkward liked this.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 3:51 p.m.
Banned
Kane obviously had an amazing career but the other two are better now.
As far as them two: Leafs fans will certainly argue Eichel and Sabres fans will kill you if you dont say Matthews,
but from an unbiased and realistic perspective: It is Eichel

Look at the teams they have played on and their stats overall... Stats are very similar overall with very minor differences, but the teams? MY GOD is it clear!!
Lets see how Eichel plays with year with good linemates like Matthews has had.

Eichel for now, but if he still doesnt outshine Matthews this year with a better team than previous years, Matthews may get the edge
ZiggyPalffy liked this.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 3:53 p.m.
Sabres are elite
As stated, it's really hard to compare players that don't play the same position. Obviously Kane has the best career so far and I'd be dubious to say either Eichel or Matthews will win more Cups than him. If you factor in the kind of talent surrounding Eichel and Matthws then I think you'd have to say Eichel is more talented. He is the only offensive weapon the Sabres have and doesn't have elite supporting cast like Matthews does with Tavares, Nylander, and Marner. Eichel's GAR for the season was 13.6, Matthews was 15.2. While Matthews is higher, is that due to the talent around him or is he really better. I'll say that Eichel is a better skater, has better speed, and is a better passer. Matthews is better at faceoffs, defense, and shooting/scoring. It's honestly a tight race
Dec. 14, 2020 at 4:02 p.m.
Edited Dec. 14, 2020 at 4:11 p.m.
Right now Matthews>Eichel>Kane

Overall career Kane>Matthews>Eichel

By the time they all retire, imo, Matthews>Kane>Eichel (I have to, I'm a leafs fan) (also I still think Kane will have most cups)
LetsGoBlueJays liked this.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 4:06 p.m.
Quoting: Skyraider112
As stated, it's really hard to compare players that don't play the same position. Obviously Kane has the best career so far and I'd be dubious to say either Eichel or Matthews will win more Cups than him. If you factor in the kind of talent surrounding Eichel and Matthws then I think you'd have to say Eichel is more talented. He is the only offensive weapon the Sabres have and doesn't have elite supporting cast like Matthews does with Tavares, Nylander, and Marner. Eichel's GAR for the season was 13.6, Matthews was 15.2. While Matthews is higher, is that due to the talent around him or is he really better. I'll say that Eichel is a better skater, has better speed, and is a better passer. Matthews is better at faceoffs, defense, and shooting/scoring. It's honestly a tight race

Eichel had 40 goal Skinner, Reinhart, Olofsson, Evander Kane, etc. over the years, I hate when people say that he hasn't played with good players. Sure Matthews has a better team around him but keep in mind the guys he has consistently played with are like Hyman, Brown, Johnsson, Kapanen, Nylander, and only a couple months of Marner this year. Sounds to me like Matthews' line mates haven't been a whole heck of a lot better than Eichel's, and he has consistently outproduced (in goals and points) Eichel throughout their entire careers.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 4:37 p.m.
Banned
Eichel obviously. Scratch Kane, he doesn't belong in this topic.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 4:42 p.m.
torontos finest
Right now: Matthews > Eichel > Kane

Career: Kane > Matthews > Eichel
Dec. 14, 2020 at 4:45 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: leafs101
Eichel had 40 goal Skinner, Reinhart, Olofsson, Evander Kane, etc. over the years, I hate when people say that he hasn't played with good players. Sure Matthews has a better team around him but keep in mind the guys he has consistently played with are like Hyman, Brown, Johnsson, Kapanen, Nylander, and only a couple months of Marner this year. Sounds to me like Matthews' line mates haven't been a whole heck of a lot better than Eichel's, and he has consistently outproduced (in goals and points) Eichel throughout their entire careers.

I wasn't aware that Kane is actually a good player, especially at that time lol. Skinner had 1 good year with Eichel and Reinhart has barely gotten more than 50 points playing with Eichel. Olofsson was good for a rookie, but not great yet.

Matthews has had Nylander and Marner, none of the Buffalo wings are as good as those guys so bad argument.

Give Eichel Marner or Nylander and he's easily a 90-100 point player...

Keep in mind the defense Eichel had to play with, not just the wings.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 5:11 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: aadoyle
you cant compare a wing to a center. The roles are not the same. If Matthews or Eichel were RW's then yes you could make that comparison but they dont so its invalid.

Eichel and Matthews can be compared but Kane is a RW so the comparison goes no where

The real comparison should be Matthews vs. Eichel

Quoting: Silkysmooth42
Kane obviously had an amazing career but the other two are better now.
As far as them two: Leafs fans will certainly argue Eichel and Sabres fans will kill you if you dont say Matthews,
but from an unbiased and realistic perspective: It is Eichel

Look at the teams they have played on and their stats overall... Stats are very similar overall with very minor differences, but the teams? MY GOD is it clear!!
Lets see how Eichel plays with year with good linemates like Matthews has had.

Eichel for now, but if he still doesnt outshine Matthews this year with a better team than previous years, Matthews may get the edge

Quoting: Skyraider112

Quoting: mapleleafs_queen9434

Quoting: ZiggyPalffy
I wasn't aware that Kane is actually a good player, especially at that time lol. Skinner had 1 good year with Eichel and Reinhart has barely gotten more than 50 points playing with Eichel. Olofsson was good for a rookie, but not great yet.

Matthews has had Nylander and Marner, none of the Buffalo wings are as good as those guys so bad argument.

I think a better comparison would be prime John Tavares vs Jack Eichel cuz they both had to carry their stinking teams. Tavares during his 9 seasons in NYI averaged 35 goals & 77 points per 82 games. His most common linemates were Moulson & Okposo. Eichel so far has averaged 32 goals and 78 points every 82 games in Buffalo. So I would say those 2 are on the same level.

As for Matthews, I think he’s on the same level as MacKinnon. He’s just a generational goal scorer. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone as dominant at even strength since Pavel Datsyuk.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 5:16 p.m.
Quoting: MitchMarnerElite
I think a better comparison would be prime John Tavares vs Jack Eichel cuz they both had to carry their stinking teams. Tavares during his 9 seasons in NYI averaged 35 goals & 77 points per 82 games. His most common linemates were Moulson & Okposo. Eichel so far has averaged 32 goals and 78 points every 82 games in Buffalo. So I would say those 2 are on the same level.

As for Matthews, I think he’s on the same level as MacKinnon. He’s just a generational goal scorer. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone as dominant at even strength since Pavel Datsyuk.

I think he's on the trajectory to be as good or better than MacKinnon but not quite there yet. 4th best center right now behind Mc, Mac, and Sid
Dec. 14, 2020 at 5:19 p.m.
As much as everyone wants to give Brownie points and say Eichel is the greatest hockey has ever seen because Buffalo couldn't find management to save their lives he's the one who hasn't asked for a trade and wants to lose as much as he says he doesn't. He could have insisted on a trade or insisted on a management change with him consulted but he didn't. Also, his linemates were not garbage as people love to imply and he's not going to score more goals because a better winger passes him the puck while he's on the bench so **** off with that ****. I don't give freebies to the Leafs so no other team or player gets them.
Matthews is better, however, that being said Eichel is a close enough second that if you could trade the identical combination of players for either one for me it would come down to the team I managing. Eichel has more assists and Matthews is more of a goal scorer. It's unlikely Eichel will catch Matthews considering even when injured Matthews goal-scoring improves. He's 11 goals higher than Eichel now and he was top 3 in the league.
So, If my primary goal was a goal-scoring superstar who's a 5 on 5 machine and good on the power play I would go with Matthews.
If I needed a guy who can score and has amazing playmaking skills, good hands can throw the body and has a two way game I would go with Eichel.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 5:20 p.m.
Also Kane? I don't ask a Construction supervisor who's better, his electrician or his plumber.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 5:23 p.m.
Quoting: ZiggyPalffy

Kane was no worse than a guy like Brown, Johnsson, or Kapanen. Nylander is marginally better than BUF-prime Skinner, Reinhart over the years hasn't been that much worse than Nylander from a production standpoint - keep in mind Matthews played with good Nylander, but also had to deal with atrocious post-contract-war Nylander on his line. Marner was only for a handful of games. I'm not saying Eichel's line mates are just as good, I'm arguing that over the years it has been fairly close, certainly not far enough to discredit the fact that Matthews is a much better goal scorer, more points per game, better defence, 5 on 5 better, all while having a year less of NHL experience.

Leaf's defence hasn't been great over the years either. Only getting good this year, D was all injured last year, previous year we had Rielly, half a season of Muzzin, and literally nobody else, and the years prior it was Rielly and nobody else.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 5:24 p.m.
Quoting: Onslaught77
As much as everyone wants to give Brownie points and say Eichel is the greatest hockey has ever seen because Buffalo couldn't find management to save their lives he's the one who hasn't asked for a trade and wants to lose as much as he says he doesn't. He could have insisted on a trade or insisted on a management change with him consulted but he didn't. Also, his linemates were not garbage as people love to imply and he's not going to score more goals because a better winger passes him the puck while he's on the bench so **** off with that ****. I don't give freebies to the Leafs so no other team or player gets them.
Matthews is better, however, that being said Eichel is a close enough second that if you could trade the identical combination of players for either one for me it would come down to the team I managing. Eichel has more assists and Matthews is more of a goal scorer. It's unlikely Eichel will catch Matthews considering even when injured Matthews goal-scoring improves. He's 11 goals higher than Eichel now and he was top 3 in the league.
So, If my primary goal was a goal-scoring superstar who's a 5 on 5 machine and good on the power play I would go with Matthews.
If I needed a guy who can score and has amazing playmaking skills, good hands can throw the body and has a two way game I would go with Eichel.

Matthews better defensively but ya
Dec. 14, 2020 at 5:31 p.m.
Breadman likes Bread
Quoting: Onslaught77

It’s difference of opinion. Crosby/Ovechkin, Crosby/McDavid, Gretzky/Lemieux, Laine/Barkov, this whole ‘Matthews vs Eichel’ thing is stupid. Personally, I prefer Eichel because I feel he is a more complete player. That doesn’t mean I hate Matthews.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 5:48 p.m.
Matthews better defensively but ya

Recently. He wasn't bad before but he's better recently. Eichel throws more hits, is more sure of himself in his own zone and being more of a passer suits him well in his own zone.
Dec. 14, 2020 at 8:18 p.m.
Ouch
Kane
Dec. 14, 2020 at 9:06 p.m.
Sabres are elite

Players on better teams naturally will play better. The Leafs score a heck of a lot more goals too so it's easier to get stats. Stats aside though. Eichel and Matthews are very close in value. Eichel's ability to dominate the ice and control the play makes him better imo.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit