SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

My thoughts on every first round pick

My thoughts on every first round pick

Draft Class: 2020
Created By: AndrewLadd
Published: Dec. 16, 2020 at 4:35 p.m.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the New York Rangers-Easiest pick of the draft.
2Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-Another good pick, I would’ve been ok with either Byfield or Stuetzle, but Byfield was probably the pick. Good on them.
3Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the San Jose Sharks2nd easiest pick of the draft.
4Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Good pick, I thought they would’ve went with Perfetti though (and I thought that ab like the next 7 picks.) Raymond is very good though, and he’ll be a played for the wings.
5Logo of the Ottawa Senators-I hate this pick. With all the high end forwards left on the board why take him? At least trade back if you want him. He’ll be good, and Ottawa could use a good future shutdown dman, but I’m more of a draft the BPA kinda guy. I would’ve rather them pick one of Perfetti, Rossi Holtz or Askarov.
6Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Perfect pick, fits the team and the player perfectly, match made in heaven.
7Logo of the New Jersey Devils-Another great fit, NJD has themselves a future perennial 30 goal scorer.
8Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Not a bad pick, but I think Rossi Or Perfetti would’ve been the better selection. Quinn does have good scoring ability though, but he won’t drive play like the other two will.
9Logo of the Minnesota Wild-One of my favorite picks in the draft. Rossi was one of, if not, my favorite prospect in the draft. They couldn’t have gone wrong with Rossi or Perfetti. I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up being the best player in Wild history once he retires.
10Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-Fantastic pick, I can’t believe he fell this far. Winnipeg has their future 2C, and he could possibly take Schiefele’s job as 1C one day. He’s that good.
11Logo of the Nashville Predators-Great pick, sure, they need a high end forward, but the took the BPA, and that’s very respectable.
12Logo of the Florida Panthers-High floor, can’t say the same ab his ceiling though. He’s a good all-around player. He kinda reminds me of Nuge, but on a lesser scale. No complaints ab the pick though.
13Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsI like the pick, but I would’ve rather the canes take Amirov. He’ll be a good player though.
14Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-I was never super high on Holloway, but he should be just fine. Honestly, if I were the Oilers I would’ve traded back.
15Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsLogo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsGreat pick. Doesn’t fit much of a team need but he’s a fantastic player and super skilled.
16Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-I don’t like Guhle honestly, and their future LHD looks very clogged. Schneider probably would’ve been the better fit and he’s better IMO.
17Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-A bit of a reach honestly, but he should be a good middle six forward. Not as much upside as some other guys here though. Mercer, Schneider, Perreault , Lappiereor Zary all would’ve been better picks.
18Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Arizona CoyotesGreat pick, I love the upside. New Jersey nailed its first 2 picks.
19Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Calgary FlamesLappiere was 100% the pick here, and the rags future RHD projection is clogged to a comical point now. Yes he was one of the best players avaiilable, but where does he fit in the future?
20Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Vancouver CanucksThey definitely reached here. Ik they were waiting for Schneider, but I don’t think they adapted to the situation well. They should’ve traded back, or honestly traded up 1 to secure Schneider. Fantastic name though.
21Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-I kinda like this pick. I would’ve rathered Lappiere (I think he’s gonna be a player,) but Chinakhov seems to have A LOT of upside. I love Russian drafted prospects, I feel like they always get overlooked. He could honestly end up being a real steal here.
22Logo of the Washington CapitalsLogo of the Carolina HurricanesOne of my favorite picks this draft. Lapierre has tremendous upside, super skilled guy.
23Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-I see a lack of upside here, he’s a guy I feel like you could’ve gotten in the second round. Jarviente, Perreaut or Helge Grans would’ve been my pick for them imo.
24Logo of the Calgary FlamesLogo of the Washington CapitalsFantastic pick, could be a steal IMO. Calgary nailed this one.
25Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-Not a fan of this pick honestly, I didn’t rly like Barron even before he was injured. Now I’m just a hockey fan and Joe Sakic is Joe Sakic, so I could be wrong.
26Logo of the St. Louis Blues-Didn’t like this pick too much honestly, I would’ve taken Perreault, who has much more upside.
27Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston BruinsAnaheim nailed every first round pick on the head. Perreault has tremendous shooting ability and I could see him being a high end forward in the future.
28Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the New York IslandersMeh, a common theme with these late first round picks is a lack of upside. Noel Gunler or Brendan Brisson would’ve been my pick here (or Jarventie, who they ended up taking later anyway.)
29Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-Good pick, Vegas definitely needs some clarification in the future center wise.
30Logo of the Dallas Stars-He screams future 3C to me, which isn’t bad, but I’d rather a guy with more upside, or a boom or bust guy if you will.
31Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningDecent pick, I didn’t know much ab Ozzy coming into the draft tbh, but the way they picked him was fantastic. I hope he pans out tbh, seems like a great kid.
Dec. 16, 2020 at 6:48 p.m.
Sam
I can’t get over how awful the Neighbours pick is, so unprojectable to the nhl
Dec. 16, 2020 at 7:14 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: STLBlues17
I can’t get over how awful the Neighbours pick is, so unprojectable to the nhl

Yeah ik he’s kinda lacking in the upside department
Dec. 16, 2020 at 7:51 p.m.
Isles7
I personally think byfield will be the best player to come out of this draft. I’m actually thrilled the rangers didn’t take him, obviously lafrenierre is going to be a stud , but they needed a high end center a lot more than another winger.

The Sanderson pick was awful. Rossi was the right pick there. Imagine a tkachuk-Rossi-stutzle line...

No idea why Buffalo took Quinn. I don’t think he’ll be a star, Rossi + perfetti have a high chance of being stars

Not a fan of taking goaltenders in the first round - NSH should have taken lundell (I think he can be a 1C) or Jarvis
Dec. 16, 2020 at 7:56 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: Isles777
I personally think byfield will be the best player to come out of this draft. I’m actually thrilled the rangers didn’t take him, obviously lafrenierre is going to be a stud , but they needed a high end center a lot more than another winger.

The Sanderson pick was awful. Rossi was the right pick there. Imagine a tkachuk-Rossi-stutzle line...

No idea why Buffalo took Quinn. I don’t think he’ll be a star, Rossi + perfetti have a high chance of being stars

Not a fan of taking goaltenders in the first round - NSH should have taken lundell (I think he can be a 1C) or Jarvis

I think the best player out of this draft will be Laf, Byfield or Rossi. Yeah I hated the Sanderson pick. Quinn will be a solid player, but I agree he’s never gonna be a star who carries his own line. Normally I’d agree ab goalies but Askarov is a beast, and I’m certainly not as high on Lundell as you are. He isnt fast enough and his offensive upside isn’t 1C worthy imo
Dec. 16, 2020 at 8:07 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: AndrewLadd
I think the best player out of this draft will be Laf, Byfield or Rossi. Yeah I hated the Sanderson pick. Quinn will be a solid player, but I agree he’s never gonna be a star who carries his own line. Normally I’d agree ab goalies but Askarov is a beast, and I’m certainly not as high on Lundell as you are. He isnt fast enough and his offensive upside isn’t 1C worthy imo

Lou would've taken Sanderson or Schneider if he had the #5 overall pick.
Dec. 16, 2020 at 8:30 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Lou would've taken Sanderson or Schneider if he had the #5 overall pick.

In al honesty I think he’d take Perfetti at 5, idrk either I j feel like he would
Dec. 16, 2020 at 8:50 p.m.
Isles7
In al honesty I think he’d take Perfetti at 5, idrk either I j feel like he would

I think he'd take Lundell over Perfetti because of height and defensive awareness
Dec. 16, 2020 at 10:13 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
I think he'd take Lundell over Perfetti because of height and defensive awareness

Not at 5, I think, I’d hope not
Dec. 16, 2020 at 10:19 p.m.
Isles7
Not at 5, I think, I’d hope not

I think there were mock drafts that had Lundell going in the 7-10 range, it wouldn't be that much of a reach lol. Sanderson is worse.

I think he would go with Lundell, he's a lou/trotz player, but I can see the argument for perfetti. 5'11 isn't that small I guess.
Dec. 16, 2020 at 10:32 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
I think there were mock drafts that had Lundell going in the 7-10 range, it wouldn't be that much of a reach lol. Sanderson is worse.

I think he would go with Lundell, he's a lou/trotz player, but I can see the argument for perfetti. 5'11 isn't that small I guess.

5 11’ is around average right? Not everyone on ur team can be a monster lol
Dec. 16, 2020 at 10:38 p.m.
Isles7
5 11’ is around average right? Not everyone on ur team can be a monster lol

Yeah but I feel like Lou is the kind of guy who thinks 6’0 is tall and 5’11 is undersized lol

I’m not saying he won’t pick any guys under 6’0, but I think he would go with the taller player if he had a choice
Dec. 16, 2020 at 10:40 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Yeah but I feel like Lou is the kind of guy who thinks 6’0 is tall and 5’11 is undersized lol

As someone who’s 5’ 11’ and trying desperately to hit 6’ 0’, I also think that way 😭
Dec. 16, 2020 at 10:46 p.m.
Isles7
As someone who’s 5’ 11’ and trying desperately to hit 6’ 0’, I also think that way 😭

lol you're a perfect fit for the isles scouting department,
AndrewLadd liked this.
Dec. 16, 2020 at 11:57 p.m.
Am Yisrael Chai

I'm 5'9 1/2. With shoes.

;(
AndrewLadd liked this.
Dec. 17, 2020 at 10:49 a.m.
Pass it to Lucic
only from a Hab side, I like the Guhle pick, but Im a fan of size that can skate, just a safe pick which is what you want if you are drafting from 15 on. We do have lots of LHD at this time, But I would rather have more then less at a d position.
If I was picking for MTL, I'm taking Mercer all day long though. Tons of potential there

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll