SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Boston Bruins

Boston Bruins 2021 season preview

Dec. 16, 2020 at 5:25 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
To put it simply: this is the year they very likely start to decline... Krug's gone, Bergeron's 36, Krejci's 34, Rask will be 34 by the end of the season and Marchand's 32... I'm not saying they'll be as awful as SJ was last season but I am saying they'll decline.

When I look at their lineup, I see good top end talent with of course Pasta, Bergy, Marchand, McAvoy and Rask. Yet Pastrnak will miss the first month of the season and Marchand's still a ? for the beginning of the season. I'M telling ya, if both of them don't play at the beginning of the season and the team struggles big time without them, this could end their season, especially considering the strength of their division.

The defense is the huge question mark. McAvoy's an elite number 1, Carlo will do fine as number 2 IMO and Grz is a very underrated top 4 d-man. BUT, after that there are huge question marks. Miller is a number 7, Clifton is a number 6 at best, Moore is way overpaid and isn't very good and I don't see Lauzon becoming anything more than a number 5. Now, I often hear Boston fans saying that one of Vaakanainen/Zboril will come in and fill that top 4 gap but still, there is a big question mark regarding that defense, which leads me to my 2 x-factors for them:

-they MUST keep their head out of the water while one or two of Marchand/Pastrnak is/are out of the lineup
-someone needs to step up in that defense department, anyone.

IF those 2 things happen, they could maintain form for another season. If they don't happen, forget it, they'll likely miss the playoffs.

Oh, and one last thing: I'm looking forward to see Studnicka this season, IMO he has a great shot at making their team.

Here's the starting lineup with Marchand:

Marchand-Bergeron-Studnicka
DeBrusk-Krejci-Smith
Bjork-Coyle-Kase
Lindholm-Kuraly-Wagner

Grzelcyk-McAvoy
Lauzon-Carlo
Zboril-Clifton

Rask
Halak

@bhavikp27
@Bcarlo25
@shmoeman
@hanson493
@ON3M4N

Don't quote this post pls, press reply instead
Dec. 16, 2020 at 5:29 p.m.
Bcarlo25
I think pastrnak misses a week or two.

Bergeron is 35.

Agree that the decline starts, but i think it will be more noticeable in the playoffs than anything.

The season essentially comes down to whether or not Zboril/Vaakanainen are ready. If they aren’t the team will struggle. I think after this season it will be clear that the Bergeron/Krejci window is closed. I’m just wondering if it is closed already, or will be after the season.
Dec. 16, 2020 at 5:30 p.m.
I would go with
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
DeBrusk-Krejci-Kase
Bjork-Coyle-Studnicka

For the defense, we'll see at the camp. I also think Chara returns.
Dec. 16, 2020 at 5:30 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Quoting: Bcarlo25
I think pastrnak misses a week or two.

Bergeron is 35.

Agree that the decline starts, but i think it will be more noticeable in the playoffs than anything.

The season essentially comes down to whether or not Zboril/Vaakanainen are ready. If they aren’t the team will struggle. I think after this season it will be clear that the Bergeron/Krejci window is closed. I’m just wondering if it is closed already, or will be after the season.

Do you think the odds of you resigning Rask and/or Krejci are good?
Dec. 16, 2020 at 5:34 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward

Yes
Dec. 16, 2020 at 6:27 p.m.
Not a whole lot I'd disagree with. I think the Smith signing is going to be a big impact. A legit 20+ goal scorer is a huge upgrade for this team. Then if Kase find his game he's another that could be a 20+ goal guy. I'm not as concerned with the offense even w/ Pasta out to start.

The defense on the other hand give me concern, but more so because of uncertainty. Is Chara coming back or not, what does Zboril bring to the table. I've actually heard/read good things on Zboril play laat season. The kid has the tools to be a top 4 d-man in the NHL. If Chara doesn't return then I'm interested to see how McAvoy's game goes. I personally think we're going to see a more offensive version. Since entering the league he's had to cover for Chara getting back and chasing down pucks. Not to mention McAvoy advanced number with Grz are insane.

Barring a season ending injury i see them as a contender still. My expectation is at least a conference finals appearance.
Dec. 16, 2020 at 6:31 p.m.

As Rask fan I'm 50/50 if he returns. He's been the whipping boy for years by fans and the media because he doesnt flop around like Thomas did. If say COL is looking and offers him a 1-2yr deal he maybe takes it. Still with a top team where people would actually appreciate him.

Krejci I think depends on what role they want him to have and how Studnicka looks this year. The guy love Boston (so does Rask) and they may not want to uproot their families. Im not against bring other guy back on a 1-2yr deal
Dec. 17, 2020 at 9:58 a.m.
Quoting: ON3M4N
As Rask fan I'm 50/50 if he returns. He's been the whipping boy for years by fans and the media because he doesnt flop around like Thomas did. If say COL is looking and offers him a 1-2yr deal he maybe takes it. Still with a top team where people would actually appreciate him.

Krejci I think depends on what role they want him to have and how Studnicka looks this year. The guy love Boston (so does Rask) and they may not want to uproot their families. Im not against bring other guy back on a 1-2yr deal

all about the money on krejci and if studnicka is ready. bergeron, coyle, studnicka would be fine next year. IF Rask leaves, our entire playoff window is gone anyways so theres really no need to resign krejci.
Dec. 17, 2020 at 10:01 a.m.
Quoting: hanson493
all about the money on krejci and if studnicka is ready. bergeron, coyle, studnicka would be fine next year. IF Rask leaves, our entire playoff window is gone anyways so theres really no need to resign krejci.

If Rask leaves your window ends only if you don't get a good goalie to replace him
Dec. 17, 2020 at 10:23 a.m.

Studs would need to have a hell of a rookie season for me to be ok with that trio at center. Basically Studnicka would need to show he can replace Krejci's production or be very close to it. Coyle just isn't a #2C on a serious contender imo. He's an elite #3C who can play #2 in a pinch, but not a true #2C.
Dec. 17, 2020 at 10:41 a.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
If Rask leaves your window ends only if you don't get a good goalie to replace him

I don't think we'd be able to find a goalie good enough to replace Rask. I know a lot of people talk about how good the Bruins defense has been over the years, but Rask is a huge part of that. He bails the defense out
Dec. 17, 2020 at 10:43 a.m.
Brace for the Storm
I don't think we'd be able to find a goalie good enough to replace Rask. I know a lot of people talk about how good the Bruins defense has been over the years, but Rask is a huge part of that. He bails the defense out

I believe it's the opposite. Boston's defensive system has been elite for what, a decade now? Rask has it very easy compared to others.

Now, this isn't me saying Rask stinks, but I think he gets a bit overrated
Dec. 17, 2020 at 11:12 a.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan

who are they going to get to replace him? They dont have the prospect capital to trade for someone.
Dec. 17, 2020 at 1:31 p.m.
I believe it's the opposite. Boston's defensive system has been elite for what, a decade now? Rask has it very easy compared to others.

Now, this isn't me saying Rask stinks, but I think he gets a bit overrated

Really? I mean he's had an aging Chara a couple of young kids still developing to go along with a d-man that was more of a disadvantage in the d-zone. that for the last what 3-4 years.
Dec. 17, 2020 at 1:36 p.m.
Really? I mean he's had an aging Chara a couple of young kids still developing to go along with a d-man that was more of a disadvantage in the d-zone. that for the last what 3-4 years.

Its the system, not the defensemen. They have very very responsible forwards, sacrificing some of the offense for defense. Will be very interesting to see what happens with the defense. Im probably one of the only bruins fans thats actually excited krug isnt back next year.
Dec. 17, 2020 at 2:04 p.m.

I am not a bruins fan, but isn't everyone saying that Rask will retire after this season?
Dec. 17, 2020 at 2:08 p.m.
Quoting: HabsFan77
I am not a bruins fan, but isn't everyone saying that Rask will retire after this season?

he himself talked about possibly retiring. he kind of walked that back last year but he has some family issues going on, wife cheated on him, young kids etc. I think regardless of what happens bruins arent in a great position goalie wise going forward.
nickthehabsfan liked this.
Dec. 17, 2020 at 2:48 p.m.
he himself talked about possibly retiring. he kind of walked that back last year but he has some family issues going on, wife cheated on him, young kids etc. I think regardless of what happens bruins arent in a great position goalie wise going forward.

He didn't talk about retiring next year. The writer asked him about an extension and then asked what he'd do when he called it an NHL career. The issue was his daughter had a medical emergency while he was in TOR and he went home. They are also fine goalie wise. They have 2-3 young goalies in the system that show promise. Vladar is going into his 5th pro season and next year (if not this year) will see NHL action. Swayman will need a few years but has all the tools to be a legit #1. Sign Rask for 2-3yr, let Vladar and Swayman battle it out to see who gets the back-up role next year
Dec. 18, 2020 at 9:34 a.m.
He didn't talk about retiring next year. The writer asked him about an extension and then asked what he'd do when he called it an NHL career. The issue was his daughter had a medical emergency while he was in TOR and he went home. They are also fine goalie wise. They have 2-3 young goalies in the system that show promise. Vladar is going into his 5th pro season and next year (if not this year) will see NHL action. Swayman will need a few years but has all the tools to be a legit #1. Sign Rask for 2-3yr, let Vladar and Swayman battle it out to see who gets the back-up role next year

I meant in the short term. long term i love swayman. Kid is a stud. If he can play the way he did at maine in the nhl hes gunna be elite. I have no confidence in vladar though.

Per Rask: “I have one year left in the contract, so we’ll see if I even play,” said the 33-year-old Rask to the Globe on his future beyond next season. “We’ll see. [Retirement is] always a possibility.” Once you start thinking about retiring, your head is away from the game. this was back in march right after the shutdowns.
Dec. 30, 2020 at 3:57 p.m.
Kansler
Am hearing Zdeno is signing with the Capitals?
Any truth in this??
Thought he would retire with the Bruins. Didn't they offer him a deal?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll